Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Can a Producer call them selves a DJ?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
©úrrëntP¤ð

United Kingdom
59 posts
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  09:00:09  Show profile Send a private message  Visit ©úrrëntP¤ð's homepage
-- if not, what?

Alert moderator
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  09:23:25  Show profile  Send a private message
I know 2 producers that tacked "DJ" to the front of their name so they could sell more records even though they've never DJ'd. And i'm sure there are loads of others. People seem to lift DJ's to Icon/God status but they poo-poo on people that produce or do live shows but don't DJ. Dunno why.

PS: If not DJ you could always be creative and make a name up, or just use your real name.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, Long as I have my plastic Jesus Riding on the dashboard of my car.

Going 90, it ain't scary cause I've got the virgin Mary; sitting on the dashboard of my car."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Soren on 2002/11/18 09:24:20
Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  11:10:24  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
well if there a pure producer then no, not really, and to be honest i would think they would rather not... but never mind

Garage Is where You Keep Your ****in Car
House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  17:33:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
ummm ... Producer, maybe? Producer Sammy ... nah it doesn't have the same ring to it *shrugs*

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  17:59:19  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Really depends... some producers might want to be identified as something like a DJ meaning they produce material suited to DJ's ... Some DJ producers might be able to DJ but not DJ gigs, for example Trixxy could DJ real well but never played anywhere (I know he didn't call himself DJ Trixxy... just an example)....

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

Don Giovanni

Canada
290 posts

43 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  21:20:48  Show profile  Send a private message
well for the most part the guys producing tracks today are DJing as well.

Most people will start as DJs and then get into producing.

Or like Phosphor, they will start out producing music but then because they want their sounds to be heard out at parties they learn to dj as well.

its pretty rare that a person sticks to just DJing or just producing.
However a great DJ does not = a great producer as we all know (nor the other way around.) best example i can think of at the moment is Kaos. AMAZING producer...but i;ve seen him spin live and honestly he kinda sucks at DJing :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Together united as one indeed, WE ARE THE HARDCORE FAMILY!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - Don Giovanni on 2002/11/18 21:21:37
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/11/19 :  04:45:19  Show profile  Send a private message
Or Oakenfold, he sucks at DJ'ing and can't produce at all :D

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, Long as I have my plastic Jesus Riding on the dashboard of my car.

Going 90, it ain't scary cause I've got the virgin Mary; sitting on the dashboard of my car."

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  17:51:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
no, a producer is not a dj - simple as that. imagine a dj calling themselves a producer or remixer??? they're too totally different things.

in the commercial world, many producers will put dj in front of their name (e.g. dj sammy) just coz the "kids" think it's cooler, because "dance" music is so cool now. djing is the latest fashion.

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

djyogi

Australia
487 posts
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  19:02:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djyogi's homepage
hahahha its funny though yet a dj is still more bigger then a producer ???

"My only regret in life is that i wasn't a DJ" Draz

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/11/22 :  21:34:04  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
no, a producer is not a dj - simple as that. imagine a dj calling themselves a producer or remixer???

You mean like Oakenfold releasing another CD "produced" by himself when really he only helped mix 2-3 tracks and had a team of 15 producers and engineers making it for him?

djmonoxide

United States
128 posts
Posted - 2002/12/02 :  16:44:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djmonoxide's homepage
^^ Soren I get the fealing you don't like Oakenfold too much lol.

Also yes a producer can call themselves a DJ. I however use 2 names 1 for my DJing and another for my producing.

I used to be a raver, used to take lots of E. Now I just smoke weed, and you know I will Succeed. :)

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/02 :  17:01:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
I think people are naturally not inclined to glorify someone for sitting behind a mixing board and twiddling knobs and flicking switches and what-not, whereas the DJ, out there in front of thousands of people, doing something funky to those spinning black things ... now that's cool.

It's kinda like how no-one really pays much attention to songwriters nowadays. Think about some poor songwriter, sitting in the middle of a park, basking in the clarity of thought that only true serenity can bring, bearing every ounce of creative talent that he or she possesses and channelling it into that elusive lyrical masterpiece ... and the only reason people buy the song is cuz Britney shows a lot of skin in the video clip. How very rewarding.

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/12/03 :  03:38:34  Show profile  Send a private message
I saw an interview with the lady that writes every pop stars songs. She has a nice studio and seems to be able to churn out pop hits very rapidly. She said she writes all the songs for the Backstreet Boys, Brittany Spears, Shakira, N-Sync, Aerosmith, Cher, 98 (96?) Degrees, and some other people I can't remember. In the interview she held up some bilboard thing and said "Look, it's my 92nd number one hit. So I wouldn't worry too much about her cause she's crazy friggin rich :D

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/03 :  12:20:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
^^ and can you tell me what her name is, off the top of your head? I was talking about recognition, not money.

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/12/03 :  16:20:34  Show profile  Send a private message
Her name was Dianne Warren I beleive. I'm bad with names, but I just saw the interview and it was pretty revolting to find out one lady does all the songs for... umm.. everyone that makes money.

On a side note I'd rather have money than "recognition". At least as it stands now where 50% of the teenie bopppers love you and everyone else in the world thinks you are complete ass or tool. Course if it was good recognition like being a part of Ministry or something then that'd be cool!

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/03 :  16:35:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
I dunno, recognition is kinda important to me. I mean, it's a pretty decent blow to know that no matter how much time and effort and creativity I put into a song (using the songwriter example), the issue of whether or not people will appreciate it hinges not on how good the song is, but on the size of the singer's tits or how great her ass looks in spandex.

I mean, blame it on whatever you want, but there are many people out there who think that Oakenfold actually produced all the tracks on his CD's - or, to use an example from hardcore, how many times on how many forums do you see the "fave HHC track" question answered with "anything by Anabolic Frolic"? It makes me sick that producers often don't get the credit they deserve.

Sure, there are DJ's who, by virtue of their mixing skills, make the tracks they play sound more interesting within their sets than they do when played alone, and giving credit where credit's due these guys are gods ... but IME they're the exception rather than the rule. Too often the only decent contribution the DJ makes is cutting off the boring bits and the beginning and the end and stringing all the interesting bits together :P

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page