Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Resonable priced monitors!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
AceofSpades_Lorenzo
Average Member

United States
241 posts
Posted - 2013/08/11 :  16:37:11  Show profile Send a private message
I'm finally ready to get my first job. which means; I'll finally have enough money to start saving for new monitors.

Really looking at
-KRK 8's & HS80's

any other monitors i should look into?

I'll also end up going to guitar center to listen to them before purchasing!

Alert moderator
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  00:44:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
What's your budget?

My ears are pretty ****ed so I can barely tell the difference between monitors and iPod headphones but I did have a few recommended to me at some point.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  02:43:37  Show profile  Send a private message
pioneer is coming out with some new ones around september which I've been told sounded pretty good from people I know who got to play with them at NAHM

AceofSpades_Lorenzo
Average Member

United States
241 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  03:19:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit AceofSpades_Lorenzo's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
What's your budget?

My ears are pretty ****ed so I can barely tell the difference between monitors and iPod headphones but I did have a few recommended to me at some point.

basically under $1000

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  03:30:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
pioneer is coming out with some new ones around september which I've been told sounded pretty good from people I know who got to play with them at NAHM

I happened to get this info on them in my mail:

"The S-DJ X series will be available from the end of September 2013 in black except
the 50s which are in white too, at a suggested retail price of 149 Euro/129 Pounds, (S-DJ50X), 199 Euro/169 Pounds (S-DJ60X) and 249 Euro/199 Pounds(S-DJ80X). Note that these prices are per speaker."

Did the conversion too, which comes around to 200 bux for the cheapest and $300 for the most expensive, again, per speaker.

decent price, considering it's pioneer.

At the same price range are the HS80's which you probably know James "Starstruck" and S3rl use.

my question is, how big is your room? cuz that might determine whether to get the 8 inch ones or smaller. My setup is in a small room (about 10x10 square feet) using msp5's and still have some bass issues.

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Edited by - DJ_FunDaBounce on 2013/08/13 03:33:30
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  09:49:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Resonable? Lol. There are also Alesis M1 actives.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/08/13 09:51:03
AceofSpades_Lorenzo
Average Member

United States
241 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  12:43:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit AceofSpades_Lorenzo's homepage
my room is 19 by 14. O.o

AceofSpades_Lorenzo
Average Member

United States
241 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  12:47:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit AceofSpades_Lorenzo's homepage
double post.

Edited by - AceofSpades_Lorenzo on 2013/08/15 16:56:13
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2013/08/13 :  14:37:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage

quote:
Originally posted by AceofSpades_Lorenzo:
my room is 19 by 10. O.o

That's pretty good. Keep in mind that you'll most likely have to re-direct some of your budget towards soundproofing, regardless.

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

AceofSpades_Lorenzo
Average Member

United States
241 posts
Posted - 2013/08/15 :  17:12:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit AceofSpades_Lorenzo's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:

i have those. the bass isn't correct on them :P

ceilingtiles
Starting Member

United States
5 posts
Posted - 2013/08/19 :  23:17:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ceilingtiles's homepage
What isn't right about the bass?
Generally, if the bass is too much, you should move the monitors away from a wall, or make sure they're floated if they're sitting on a surface.

Before you blame the monitor, you should determine what you need out of your mixes.
Consider the placement, what your room sounds like, how reflective your room is, etc.
You can get great mixes out of your room on really basic monitors.

I mixed a record that got great reviews and translated crazily well to vinyl, and those were done on M-Audio Audiophile monitors.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/08/19 :  23:28:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ceilingtiles:
What isn't right about the bass?
Generally, if the bass is too much, you should move the monitors away from a wall, or make sure they're floated if they're sitting on a surface.

Before you blame the monitor, you should determine what you need out of your mixes.
Consider the placement, what your room sounds like, how reflective your room is, etc.
You can get great mixes out of your room on really basic monitors.

I mixed a record that got great reviews and translated crazily well to vinyl, and those were done on M-Audio Audiophile monitors.

Loving the user name lol. But yeah it's quite possible that all monitors will sound bad with the acoustics of the room you (he) are in.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/08/19 23:30:21
ceilingtiles
Starting Member

United States
5 posts
Posted - 2013/08/20 :  03:31:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ceilingtiles's homepage
quote:
Loving the user name lol. But yeah it's quite possible that all monitors will sound bad with the acoustics of the room you (he) are in.

Haha... the username was just because I was looking at the ceiling while trying to come up with a username.

But yeah, I would say just listen to your mixes on several different sizes of speakers- small speakers like a laptop, medium speakers like a boom box, and something enormous like a theater system with a sub or huge woofers. The car is my favorite place to test mixes.

With audio, there are so many factors to think about, but I will say this for a definite- you probably don't want to get Mixcubes or a pair of NS10 monitors for your mains, because they sound midrangey and honky on purpose. Although, they say, if you can get a great mix on those, they will sound good anywhere, but it's not always easy.

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/08/20 :  07:48:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by AceofSpades_Lorenzo:
quote:

i have those. the bass isn't correct on them :P

Yeah, they have a large bass boost. Your money would be better spent keeping these and putting it towards decent acoustic wall tiles and bass traps though. This will help A LOT more than better speakers in an untreated room. Then save $1500 - $2000 and get some better monitors some time in the future. You wont see much benefit in them with bad room acoustics anyway.

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2013/08/20 07:48:54
ceilingtiles
Starting Member

United States
5 posts
Posted - 2013/08/21 :  06:05:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ceilingtiles's homepage
Simple, but not-quite-complete fix:
If they're too bass-heavy, move the monitors away from the wall.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.52 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page