Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Is Freeform 'another genre'?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ultraskool
Advanced Member

Australia
669 posts
ultraskool has attended 50 events
Posted - 2013/09/24 :  20:17:18  Show profile Send a private message  Visit ultraskool's homepage
Hi just wanted to ask your opinions.,

Is Freeform another 'genre' or is it a sub-genre of Happy Hardcore/Hardcore??

I read in this article: (from http://www.academickids.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Happy_Hardcore)

Also around this time the UK Happy Hardcore had started taking influences from the mainstream trance tunes heard virtually everywhere. While this move attracted new listeners it also began to alienate some of its long time producers, many of which switched to producing Hard house or simply retired. It was this merging of trance influences with hardcore that caused the birth of a new genre Freeform Hardcore. Known to some by its original nickname ?Kenneth? this style of music blended the earlier dark influences, the breakbeats, as well as various trance influences. Freeform also created its own network of DJs and producers most noticeably CLSM, Sharkey, AMS, Kevin Energy, and lesser knowns such as Tilzs, AC Slater, Sunrize, Daywalker, Oli G, White Russian, Brak, and Dodgee.

Who is 'Kenneth' anyways?? LOL

Alert moderator
cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2013/09/24 :  20:59:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
Freeform or Trancecore is a sub-genre of Hardcore which can be pretty various, though it is likely to resemble older UK Hardcore style (later UK Hardcore is phatter).

By the way, Happy hardcore not a type of "Techno Music" but Electronic Music. Techno is a specific genre. Can someone fix that?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Josephson_Junction
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
Posted - 2013/09/24 :  23:07:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Josephson_Junction's homepage
Here's an old genre tree I made that might help:

quote:
Originally posted by cruelcore1:
Can someone fix that?

I have a wiki set up specifically for anything hardcore-related here. It's in need of content. I think I should also mention that it's fast, it's backed up on a daily basis, and it's not something that will disappear within the next year (partly because it's a component of a larger project).

Edited by - Josephson_Junction on 2013/09/24 23:07:32
ultraskool
Advanced Member

Australia
669 posts
ultraskool has attended 50 events
Posted - 2013/09/25 :  07:23:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ultraskool's homepage
You Forgot about MAKINA! Now where would that fit in your chart? LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Josephson_Junction:
Here's an old genre tree I made that might help:

quote:
Can someone fix that?

I have a wiki set up specifically for anything hardcore-related here. It's in need of content. I think I should also mention that it's fast, it's backed up on a daily basis, and it's not something that will disappear within the next year (partly because it's a component of a larger project).

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2013/09/25 :  08:00:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
Doesn't Makina claim their roots from house and NOT Dutch or UK hardcore? Although it doesn't make any sense considering the striking similarities between the two, but oh well.

And I don't know about calling UK hardcore a subgenre of happy hardcore, I would put that the other way around. I consider UK hardcore to be a subgenre of Hardcore music with styles ranging from happy, freeform, hardcore breaks, this "dub"core and "electro"core stuff out there these days, and upfront who gain their influence from predominately UK djs and producers.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/09/25 :  12:42:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Well Happy Hardcore is just UK Hardcore, before it was called UK Hardcore so not a sub genre. Freeform is a sub genre, to answer the question of the original post.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2013/09/25 :  13:08:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Well Happy Hardcore is just UK Hardcore, before it was called UK Hardcore so not a sub genre. Freeform is a sub genre, to answer the question of the original post.

Arent Happy Hardcore and UK Hardcore suppose to be different genres? Like, UKHC evolved of HHC?

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2013/09/25 13:10:18
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/09/25 :  13:56:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Exactly. An evolution of the same genre. Not a different genre.

Josephson_Junction
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
Posted - 2013/09/25 :  14:40:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Josephson_Junction's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
And I don't know about calling UK hardcore a subgenre of happy hardcore

It isn't. The y-axis represents time in that flowchart.

Kathryn, I didn't forget about Makina. It was never decided where it would fit in the chart. Original thread.

Edited by - Josephson_Junction on 2013/09/25 14:43:49
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/09/27 :  13:31:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
The answer is of course subjective but I consider it to be a sub-genre.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2013/09/27 :  14:07:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:

Then why do people define them as different genres?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/09/27 :  16:07:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
quote:

Then why do people define them as different genres?

I don't think they do. They might define them as different styles of the same genre.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2013/09/27 :  17:17:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
quote:
By the way, Happy hardcore not a type of "Techno Music" but Electronic Music. Techno is a specific genre. Can someone fix that?

Happy hardcore certainly is a sub genre of Techno considering its official name is 'Hardcore Techno', a harder, faster version of Techno.

Therefor surely Happy Hardcore should really be referred to as 'Happy Hardcore Techno', a happier take on 'Hardcore Techno'

there must of been a fine line between Techno and Hardcore Techno back then considering Ultrasonic released that classic album 'Techno Junkies' which in todays terms was just Hardcore.

Don't get me started on Bouncy Techno!

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2013/09/27 :  18:29:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
What about Bouncy Freeform? Yes it did exist and was more energetic than other Freeform often with herder kicks (Thus being compared, but far distant from Happy Hardcore)

Marc Smith's 'Revival' from 2003 was an example of this and after 10 years still sounds fresh.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2013/09/27 :  19:42:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
quote:

Happy hardcore certainly is a sub genre of Techno considering its official name is 'Hardcore Techno', a harder, faster version of Techno.

Therefor surely Happy Hardcore should really be referred to as 'Happy Hardcore Techno', a happier take on 'Hardcore Techno'

there must of been a fine line between Techno and Hardcore Techno back then considering Ultrasonic released that classic album 'Techno Junkies' which in todays terms was just Hardcore.

Don't get me started on Bouncy Techno!

Then what is Techno actually? As far as I thought, strictly repetitive music revolving around beats. And if Hardcore is an evolution of Hardcore Techno, then aren't they suppose to be the different styles of the same genre?

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2013/09/27 20:07:39

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.66 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page