Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Having trouble making a good lead sound
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
maddkid53

United States
90 posts
maddkid53 has attended 2 events
Posted - 2013/12/18 :  20:06:13  Show profile Send a private message
They always come out feeling too airy and not stabby enough for my liking.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or the ability to point me towards a solid tutorial?

Alert moderator
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/12/18 :  21:19:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
Yeah, I had that problem as well a lot.
One thing you should do is make sure you're changing up the timbre of your layers - don't just have purely supersaws. I have a lot of varied lead sounds combined with a more prominent supersaw to make said super saw sound fuller.
For example - if you have nexus - add in layers like Leads - Hard Mid Booster.
Don't make the non-supersaw layers too prominent, or else it will get confusing and muddy fast.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Alert moderator Go to top of page
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  12:25:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Transients

maddkid53

United States
90 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  13:15:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit maddkid53's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
Yeah, I had that problem as well a lot.
One thing you should do is make sure you're changing up the timbre of your layers - don't just have purely supersaws. I have a lot of varied lead sounds combined with a more prominent supersaw to make said super saw sound fuller.
For example - if you have nexus - add in layers like Leads - Hard Mid Booster.
Don't make the non-supersaw layers too prominent, or else it will get confusing and muddy fast.

Ahh this was helpful, thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
Transients

I'm a noob, what exactly do you mean by that?

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,046 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  13:38:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by maddkid53:
They always come out feeling too airy and not stabby enough for my liking.

You probably need a nice plucky sound with a quick attack layered in with your "airy" sounds. Something to give it a bit of substance. You could also experiment with leaving a certain layer off of your reverb to bring it to the front of the mix a bit or maybe you're just using too much reverb or too big a reverb in the first place.

Really there is a lot of ways to achieve similar results though and most people do things slightly differently. If you have an example of one of your leads it would be easier to advise.

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2013/12/19 14:27:56
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  13:45:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
You answered your own question. Make them less airy and more stabby. For this, use the amp envelope. Filter envelope also.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/12/19 13:45:58
maddkid53

United States
90 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  13:52:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit maddkid53's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
You answered your own question. Make them less airy and more stabby. For this, use the amp envelope. Filter envelope also.

Well, I'm not really sure to how to do that, is the problem I'm facing.

But I will try using those things, thank you.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  14:17:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
quote:

The decay and sustain parameters control how plucky a sound is. Turn the decay and sustain down to zero. Then increase the decay til you get the correct amount of 'pluck' (listen to the lead line with the kick by itself to get the timing right. Making the sound decay just before the next beat is a good thing to aim for. If you want it to last longer than that then use release). Adjust the sustain to make it sound more natural. A supersaw lead that has full attack and decay will sound airy and won't fit very well with the pulse of the song.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/12/19 14:19:24
maddkid53

United States
90 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  18:10:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit maddkid53's homepage
quote:
quote:
quote:

The decay and sustain parameters control how plucky a sound is. Turn the decay and sustain down to zero. Then increase the decay til you get the correct amount of 'pluck' (listen to the lead line with the kick by itself to get the timing right. Making the sound decay just before the next beat is a good thing to aim for. If you want it to last longer than that then use release). Adjust the sustain to make it sound more natural. A supersaw lead that has full attack and decay will sound airy and won't fit very well with the pulse of the song.

Perfect advice, thank you!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/12/19 :  18:22:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Also bear in mind that the envelope speeds of synths is different from one to the next. Not all synths will be good for stuff that requires snappy envelopes or accuracy. Although most software seems to be at least fine.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/12/19 18:23:19
Kopacetic
Starting Member

United States
3 posts
Posted - 2014/04/08 :  16:48:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kopacetic's homepage
I had the same problem, until I asked the same (sort of) question on Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/22gq0r/adding_character_to_synth_lead/

maddkid53

United States
90 posts
Posted - 2014/04/10 :  19:10:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit maddkid53's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kopacetic:
I had the same problem, until I asked the same (sort of) question on Reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/22gq0r/adding_character_to_synth_lead/

Wahey, I posted in that topic! I've learned a lot since I posted here on HHC haha

brodster

United States
99 posts
Posted - 2014/04/10 :  20:07:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit brodster's homepage
Another trick that helps is panning and widening. Take the oscillators in Sylenth and pan them left and right. It will give the other layers of your leads a lot more room to breathe and sound more fat. Make sure that you detune them so you don't have the same exact sound coming from both speakers, it will just sound louder and it wont work very well when summed to mono.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.44 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page