Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Software for mixing mp3s
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Mickey Init has attended 3 events
Posted - 2014/01/30 :  01:13:58  Show profile Send a private message
Hi everyone,

Is there any legitimately free/cheap decent software out there for mixing mp3s?

I'm wondering if there's something where you can just put the tracks in the order you want, set markers where you would ideally want them to be mixed in/out and set the length of the mix-in/out, and it mixes these automatically without having to time stretch or know the BPM of each one.

I know you can use Cubase and other sequencers, which I do use for this purpose when I have the time to, but it can be a bit fiddly so I wondered if there was anything more user-friendly.

Any relevant suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/01/30 :  06:53:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
mixxx is a free software

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Posted - 2014/01/31 :  00:21:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
mixxx is a free software

Cheers, Sam. Will have a gander.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2014/01/31 :  00:37:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
Just wondering, why?
It's not a dig or anything, I know it sounds like I'm being funny, just wondering, why? :)

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Posted - 2014/02/25 :  00:35:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
...just wondering, why? :)

No worries - just cos I don't have my CDJs/Cubase at the moment so I was looking for summat in the interim to mix my mp3s with (for my iPod - commute/travel etc) rather than just have a playlist of unmixed tunes.

From experience, Cubase does the trick. It's just, like I say, I don't have it to use at the mo.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2014/02/25 :  01:04:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
I did something like this in FL Studio, tried it a few times, really just to see what it would be like.
Whilst the mixes did indeed go seamlessly, it was mind numbingly boring and tedious. I've done relatively short mixes in a mash-up style this way, but I'd not do a full hour long mix, most of the pleasure I get out of playing on my decks is mixing tracks myself and doing tricks and effects live.
Obviously I'm aware you're not after doing this for quite the same reasons. I'm sure there are plenty of free trackers out there but I don't know what kind of quality they are. You can get FL Studio for peanuts these days, just go for an older one.
Or of course, not quite the same thing but just a suggestion: find mixes online with the kind of tunes you'd be playing.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Posted - 2014/02/25 :  01:35:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
quote:
...most of the pleasure I get out of playing on my decks is mixing tracks myself and doing tricks and effects live.

This is my preferred method! > Mix on vinyl/mp3 and record through Sound Forge - 2 birds, 1 stone.

I'll be up and running again soon. I was just being impatient as I had a few newbies I'd bought that I wanted to mix together.

Re: downloading mixes with similar content - I subscribe to all the decent podcasts and browse SoundCloud every other day or so, so it's just me wanting to personalise my music for the sake of doing so.

Edit: Cubase, FL etc. can do the job but, like you say, it's nowhere near as good as mixing manually.

Edited by - Mickey Init on 2014/02/25 01:49:36
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/02/25 :  01:46:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
I did something like this in FL Studio, tried it a few times, really just to see what it would be like.
Whilst the mixes did indeed go seamlessly, it was mind numbingly boring and tedious. I've done relatively short mixes in a mash-up style this way, but I'd not do a full hour long mix, most of the pleasure I get out of playing on my decks is mixing tracks myself and doing tricks and effects live.
Obviously I'm aware you're not after doing this for quite the same reasons. I'm sure there are plenty of free trackers out there but I don't know what kind of quality they are. You can get FL Studio for peanuts these days, just go for an older one.
Or of course, not quite the same thing but just a suggestion: find mixes online with the kind of tunes you'd be playing.

I guess my mixes aren't for you then? :P

Mickey: That's basicly the reason I started mixing (getting rid of intro and outros)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2014/02/25 :  05:57:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
I would go for Virtual DJ Home. It's what I use and most people can't tell I don't own equipment.

Has all the good stuff while still being pretty easy to use. GUI is also very pretty.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Edited by - Dys7 on 2014/02/25 05:58:07
Mickey Init
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
764 posts
Posted - 2014/02/28 :  02:49:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mickey Init's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Mickey: That's basicly the reason I started mixing (getting rid of intro and outros)

Yeah it makes a difference to the energy of the tune (especially in a mix, as we all know). That's why I appreciate a good old (hardcore) artist album - make your own tracklist order/version.

Edited by - Mickey Init on 2014/02/28 02:50:23

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.33 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page