Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 good computer programs
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/01/06 :  10:07:45  Show profile Send a private message
i wanna start making hardcore but at the moment all ive got is fruity loops an a couple other frankly shite programs. i cant afford t buy any keyboard worth having an need some advice. i want something flexible so i can change sounds to make em sound good, do modulation an other effects like that. i wanna do more raver an jelly baby stuff, essential platinum stuff an a bit of the rotterdam style stuff

cheeeeeeers

Alert moderator
noiz labs

Australia
50 posts
Posted - 2003/01/06 :  16:42:18  Show profile  Send a private message
fruity loops is an exelent program.. just need to stik with it and work it out well.. almost all things u hear on profesional songs are possible to recreate in fruity . i swear by it.

for wav file manipulation i use cool edit pro.. its ok . but if u have fruity u r set.. just get some better samples.. try http://www.e-lab.se

plenty free and good samples there. just need to register email. n thats it.

i rilly like fruity n telling ppl how to use it so if u have a specific question about it u should ask me ,. hopfuley i know ")

Alert moderator Go to top of page
stark RaViNG mAd
Starting Member

New Zealand
16 posts
Posted - 2003/01/06 :  18:38:07  Show profile  Send a private message
Well fruity loops can be used to make music, and some of it can sound very good. It is definately a certain type of music it tends to produce tho, which makes it pretty easy to spot. I find after a while you get bored of making music with it..

The best way is the old fashioned way. With a tracker.
A tracker is basically a program that records when samples are 'played' and at which frequecny or 'modulation' they are played at. E.g the same sample can be used (say a piano note) and replayed at whatever frequency or 'pitch' you want, for whatever duration you want... Trackers also let you add all sorts of funky effects such as chorus, reverb, flange, distortion etc.

YES trackers DO take a while to make good sounding music... but the results are definately worth it.

If you want to hear some tracked hardcore ('MOD' files) then I suggest you check out TOTAL ECLIPSE at http://www.botteaap.net/~te/

As I understand ALL the music here was originally created as mod files (some of them are still in this format) however sometimes the artist has added extra effects after it has been downmixed, making it neccessary to distrubute as an mp3. One really good track on this site is 'Wipeout' by 'Soup'

..Enjoy!

oh, and depending on your operating system, here are some good trackers:
DOS: Fast Tracker, Scream Tracker
Windows (9x, 2k, XP etc) : Mod-Plug Tracker
Amiga: countless to choose from.

Objects in mirror are more stable than they appear

rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/01/07 :  00:04:35  Show profile  Send a private message
cheers! im getting my head round fruity and have done some quite good stuff, but it all still sounds like its been ripped off Street Fighter II or summat. im guna start investing in sum of the extra programs soon, guess its jus a case of tryin all of the demos out for about a week each to scratch the surface of wot theyre really capable of

stark RaViNG mAd
Starting Member

New Zealand
16 posts
Posted - 2003/01/07 :  00:49:09  Show profile  Send a private message
seriously, if you want to make ORIGINAL music that doesnt just sound like a bunch of loops/samples chucked together with some effects... THEN GET A TRACKER.

AFAIK, fruityloops won't allow you to compose melodies even
How are you gonna get the next killer hardcore anthem (think toytown) without an original choon? you ain't!

use a tracker... aside from expensive gear (synths etc) its the best you're gonna get.

HELL, you can even get the sounds of the most popular synths in the format for all the trackers...

I garantee you many of the famous producers in the hardcore scene would have started out with tracking software.

rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/01/07 :  06:03:51  Show profile  Send a private message
i jus got mod-plug tracker, just need t figure it out, cheers for the help, hopefully itll make some sound by the end of the week :0D...

advance orders of MAX001 being taken now....

dj shox
Starting Member

United Kingdom
10 posts
Posted - 2003/01/09 :  08:43:56  Show profile  Send a private message
I would recommend Propellerheads Reason. It's basicaly a virtual studio that includes mixer, soft-synth, sampler, drum machine, loop editor and basic effects; delay, reverb, flanger and phaser.. all are fairly easy to use.

Also includes a cd full of patches and samples.. some really decent sounds can be found :)

Check out http://www.propellerheads.se/

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/01/09 :  10:58:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by stark RaViNG mAd:
AFAIK, fruityloops won't allow you to compose melodies even
How are you gonna get the next killer hardcore anthem (think toytown) without an original choon? you ain't!

I don't mean to be rude but that is 100% wrong, I think that's more lack of knowledge of the software. Fruity both has a basic tool for editing the frequency at which drum-hit style samples play and a piano roll editor for complicated melodies with bends and 16th notes...

stark RaViNG mAd
Starting Member

New Zealand
16 posts
Posted - 2003/01/10 :  01:13:12  Show profile  Send a private message
true. maybe i'll switch to fruity loops then?

I found the interface somewhat intimidating when I first played with it.

I haven't heard any very special tracks created with it... maybe you'd like to prove me wrong though?

rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/01/10 :  06:58:21  Show profile  Send a private message
at first it looks well confusing, but once u git used to how the loop system actually works after about 5 days its damn easy to make sumat not too bad with, ive done sum really odd Aphex Twin but w/out the randomness (its loops!) type stuff an sum stuff which people have sed is quite wikid, but hardcores surprisingly tuff t make work. the in-built samples sound like shit tho. but wen u compare it to sumat like CuBase (perhaps ill take a month off from the world t git my head round that one :s) its simple,

tho not as simple as RaveEJay :oD --- what a wikid program!

nrXic

Canada
117 posts
Posted - 2003/01/16 :  17:11:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nrXic's homepage
I'm a tracker fan, and I use BUZZ, the most advanced tracker out there.

www.buzzmachines.com

It's free coz it's open source, and it has a lot of synths and effects, with more coming out everyday.

Oh and in Fruity you can lay notes and stuff.

Anyways, all programs have their advantages, and disadvantages. Just stick with one, and with enough mastery, you can overcome any disadvantage.

Just check out Total Eclipse like Raving Mad said, they did some great MOD stuff, but guess what, many of them moved over to Reason and stuff...

www.mp3.com/nrxic

"From the mean streets of Calgary, Alberta, Canada!" - Jericho
http://www.myspace.com/nrxic

Edited by - nrXic on 2003/01/16 17:12:23
djsmurf
Starting Member

United States
9 posts
Posted - 2003/01/20 :  09:26:06  Show profile  Send a private message
ok don't hit me, but heres just a few things i would say -- Steinberg's Cubase & Halion, and Propellerhead's Reason -- I've just startred using Cubase and Halion and its damn confusing at first but i'm started to get the feel for it. I've just started using these programs so i can't really give my opinion on it but it's suppose to be pro-grade stuff.

Smurf it.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page