Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2014/04/04 :  09:49:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
Bonkers 7 was amazing because it was a glancing style of music that came and went so quickly. Bonkers 7 is effectively the last vestige of a style that was around for maybe a year.. (it was hardly like 90s trancecore, early Freeform or HHC or UKHC. it was its own entity

Alert moderator Go to top of page
The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/04/04 :  10:56:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
I fail to see how you can't like Bonkers 7, it's awesome! :)

i don't not like it there are a few tracks enjoy

if you think about it this bonkers could been seen as the very early sound of what became uk hardcore in 02 it's sort of in the middle it sounded nothing like the bonkers 6 or bonkers 8 style

it's a unique one that's all i'll say lol

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2014/04/04 :  16:33:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
Bonkers 7 was amazing because it was a glancing style of music that came and went so quickly. Bonkers 7 is effectively the last vestige of a style that was around for maybe a year.. (it was hardly like 90s trancecore, early Freeform or HHC or UKHC. it was its own entity

I think had the Hardcore seen remained stronger for at least a year this would have been a style that would have remained a bit longer. There are always people recreating the past sounds such as early Breakbeat, Breakbeat Happy Hardcore (like Kniteforce), mid 90s Hardcore, Scottish Bouncy Techno, Early Gabber ect but no one ever seems to want to recreate the 1999 sound of Hardcore for some reason

quote:
Originally posted by The Dopeman:
if you think about it this bonkers could been seen as the very early sound of what became uk hardcore in 02 it's sort of in the middle it sounded nothing like the bonkers 6 or bonkers 8 style

it's a unique one that's all i'll say lol

Bonkers 7 does have some 2000s ideas creeping through but it was far off from being the 'UK Hardcore' sound of the mid 2000s. There was some Old Skool style tunes thrown in like Welcome to the New Skool which was the opening tune on Sy's mix, as far as I know it was never released but was like a tribute to the long passed Old Skool sound. It was also pointed that Dougal's mix had the same remix of Shooting Star that he used on his previous Bonkers 6 mix which was unusual

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2014/05/13 :  19:15:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
Yes hard to believe this album is 10 years old now! What an album it was and still is. Superb mixes with alot of great tracks. Hard to say which was my favourite mix - great tracks on all 4!

Some really great tracks and remixes from Hixxy. Wish he would still produce tracks along the lines of this style.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2014/05/13 :  19:19:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
quote:

The only problem it had was that it had less Happy Hardcore and more 'Trancecore' while it was Happy Hardcore that made Bonkers in the first place but there where tunes on there that where as good as any other I have heard before. I think if they released a Bonkers 8 in 2000 it would have followed the same league but I think a the time they felt it was time to end the series and by the time Bonkers 8 came out there was fresh new material to rebuild the series although that didn't stop Sy from doing his 'Best of Bonkers 1 & 2 mix' which might be the reason why he never returned to Bonkers after that lol

Have actually been listening to Bonkers 7 in last few days again before I read this topic. Some songs were in my head from it so good to hear them again after so long. This Bonkers album was the first one I ever bought. Good to hear some tracks on Sy's mix like Interstate - Basic Nature which was some track. Good to hear Hixxy's mix again. Some tracks sounding just ok after hearing again but good few still sounding great.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2014/05/13 :  19:26:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Bonkers 7 does have some 2000s ideas creeping through but it was far off from being the 'UK Hardcore' sound of the mid 2000s. There was some Old Skool style tunes thrown in like Welcome to the New Skool which was the opening tune on Sy's mix, as far as I know it was never released but was like a tribute to the long passed Old Skool sound. It was also pointed that Dougal's mix had the same remix of Shooting Star that he used on his previous Bonkers 6 mix which was unusual

Oh yeah the same Shooting Star remix that was on Bonkers 5.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/05/13 :  20:28:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
Jeez, I am getting old :(

The music I like is the best part of 20 years old, the current stuff across all genres does nothing for me.

I'm seriously depressed right now

Been the same way for me for a long time. Ran out of fresh music a long long time ago. So I'm always running out of things to listen to. It's not so much that there aren't actually many things to listen to though, i can just never think of or remember anything beyond my immediate collection.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/05/13 :  20:32:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

although that didn't stop Sy from doing his 'Best of Bonkers 1 & 2 mix' which might be the reason why he never returned to Bonkers after that lol

I'm not sure if it's up to Sy what he mixes (apart from within a given era). Although maybe it was his idea.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2014/05/13 :  22:38:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
quote:

although that didn't stop Sy from doing his 'Best of Bonkers 1 & 2 mix' which might be the reason why he never returned to Bonkers after that lol

I'm not sure if it's up to Sy what he mixes (apart from within a given era). Although maybe it was his idea.

It would have been wiser to do a 'Best of Bonkers 1-7' rather than just the first two as it could have given him more variety. Hixxy did a nice 'Old Skool killa kuts' on Bonkers 13 with 10 years worth of tunes on it, starting with some Scottish tunes and ending up at the year 2000 to show how the scene have evolved. I myself like Bonkers 13 and while Hixxy's Old Skool mix was good I would have to say I really liked the Scott Brown mix while I warmed to Sharkey's later. Dougal's was just 'OK' imo

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.02 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page