Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Issues regarding volume in mixdown.
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
SkylerOfficial
Starting Member

Netherlands
7 posts
Posted - 2014/06/28 :  10:06:34  Show profile Send a private message  Visit SkylerOfficial's homepage
Hey guys,

I am working on this rather busy hardcore tune, but I keep having problems with my mixdown. The volume in the track is way too unstable and I cannot seem to fix it.

During some freestyling with the beat and crash, it ends up getting to -3dB. That is good, since -3dB is my limit for headroom. When playing the main part, the volume goes down to -4dB with very random peaks sometimes going up to -2dB.

I did some research on how to "fix" your mixdown, but for so far I haven't really found a solution. Limiting is not that much of an option either, as that would result in a squashed mixdown without any dynamics (thus a mastering wouldn't even improve the track anymore).

I am just not sure anymore what could possibly be the problem. Frequency clashing? Faux compression (as I am not that good with compressors)? Too many dynamics?

Is there anyway to stabilize the mixdowns volume without affecting the track's quality too much? Mixdown issues bother me the most and sometimes takes away the fun of working on the track.

I hope you guys can help me out. If you need more information or a demo, ask me.

Alert moderator
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2014/06/28 :  15:34:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SkylerOfficial:
I am just not sure anymore what could possibly be the problem. Frequency clashing? Faux compression (as I am not that good with compressors)? Too many dynamics?

Is there anyway to stabilize the mixdowns volume without affecting the track's quality too much? Mixdown issues bother me the most and sometimes takes away the fun of working on the track.

I hope you guys can help me out. If you need more information or a demo, ask me.

Good compression technique usually takes a while to get down. I read somwhere that it takes the average engineer 10 years to get to grips with compression, while others say it's a lifetime process. anywhoo, so as not to complicate things further, I suggest you get your hands on the "Mixing Secrets" book by Mike Senior. also check http://izotope.com for the mixing and mastering guides. (The izotope ones are free, btw).

One thing I do when I mixdown is set the kick first at a high volume. I've got my monitors calibrated to output white noise at 77dBFS (at a specific point in my mixers main volume pot), which is a variation of a standard that some mastering enginners (like Bob Kats) have set for mastering. When applied to mixing you'll realize everything, once you've calibrated, is suddenly so loud that you will adjust levels way lower because things like a normal kick will blow your head off at this level. My last suggestion is that you keep 2 monitoring levels. one high (could be the 77dBFS, like I mentioned) and the other one maybe half of that on your volume controller, to add the other elelments around that kick.

I hope this helps :)

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Alert moderator Go to top of page
brodster

United States
99 posts
Posted - 2014/06/28 :  17:26:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit brodster's homepage
I just use a limiter on master. Hardcore is compressed and squashed anyway so I don't really care.

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/06/28 :  19:02:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage
people need to stop trying to make their tracks sound so perfect my mixdowns aint the best but they're a shitload better now than a year or 2 ago i've listened to some of my older tracks and they peak at +3-5db that's how bad mine used to be normally now i just get to either just over/under 0db really don't have the patience to fart around with getting a tune that's never really gonna get much notice in the first place absolutley bang on perfect as long as you can hear everything that needs to be heard that's all i really care about

stop putting pressure on yourself you'll enjoy it more (at least that's how it works for me)

SkylerOfficial
Starting Member

Netherlands
7 posts
Posted - 2014/07/11 :  09:27:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SkylerOfficial's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
quote:
Originally posted by SkylerOfficial:

Good compression technique usually takes a while to get down. I read somwhere that it takes the average engineer 10 years to get to grips with compression, while others say it's a lifetime process. anywhoo, so as not to complicate things further, I suggest you get your hands on the "Mixing Secrets" book by Mike Senior. also check http://izotope.com for the mixing and mastering guides. (The izotope ones are free, btw).

One thing I do when I mixdown is set the kick first at a high volume. I've got my monitors calibrated to output white noise at 77dBFS (at a specific point in my mixers main volume pot), which is a variation of a standard that some mastering enginners (like Bob Kats) have set for mastering. When applied to mixing you'll realize everything, once you've calibrated, is suddenly so loud that you will adjust levels way lower because things like a normal kick will blow your head off at this level. My last suggestion is that you keep 2 monitoring levels. one high (could be the 77dBFS, like I mentioned) and the other one maybe half of that on your volume controller, to add the other elelments around that kick.

I hope this helps :)

Sorry for the late reply!

Thank you for your advice. I'll definitely check out the link and the book you've mentioned in your post.

And yes, I have heard many stories about getting the hang of compression, mostly telling me it takes a while. It is only difficult finding the right article / tutorial which points you in the right direction.

quote:
Originally posted by The Dopeman
people need to stop trying to make their tracks sound so perfect my mixdowns aint the best but they're a shitload better now than a year or 2 ago i've listened to some of my older tracks and they peak at +3-5db that's how bad mine used to be normally now i just get to either just over/under 0db really don't have the patience to fart around with getting a tune that's never really gonna get much notice in the first place absolutley bang on perfect as long as you can hear everything that needs to be heard that's all i really care about

stop putting pressure on yourself you'll enjoy it more (at least that's how it works for me)

I understand what you're trying to say, but it doesn't work for me. When my tracks were featured on Happy Dance Fusion!, vol. 2 (This did not occur on HDF vol. 1), my mixdowns were weak compared to other tracks. They didn't sound completely right.

The only thing that I want to prevent, is that my tracks sound weak, distorted or "not right" compared to other tracks. And the best way to prevent these things is by doing it the way professionals do it. It might take a while to get there, but once I am there, I am happy that I did that.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.02 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page