Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Why did Anabolic end Happy 2B Hardcore?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
RobW

United States
23 posts
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  00:06:23  Show profile Send a private message
I know this is a bit old of a subject, but im just wondering why he doesn't do Happy 2B Hardcore or Hullabaloo anymore? My first Hardcore CD I ever got was Chapter 4 back in 2001 (I was a closet Happy hardcore fan for many years, too embarrassed to let my friends know i liked it).
But anyway, As of last year Ive taken more of a liking to Hardcore, so I dont really know whats been happening in the scene for the past few years.

Eventhough I liked H2BH, I think Chris could have done a lot better with the series, such having more tracks on the mix and releasing more chapters (Or maybe it was more difficult to obtain the music back in those days due to imports and the lack of digital distrabution).

Anywho, anyone have any insight?

Alert moderator
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  00:50:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
Many people on the Hullabaloo crew settled down into relationships, or found opportunities else where.

I thought the amount of tracks per disc were fine...I hate these 28-30 track mixes. Also, Happy Hardcore pretty much started dying down in the States mid-2000s. I know, Hullabaloo was in Canada, but the CD market was in the States (Moonshine Music). H2bH was one of Moonshine's top selling series, but I think the company saw the coming decline and banked out before the decline in popularity hit.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - warped_candykid on 2014/08/08 00:52:49
RobW

United States
23 posts
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  02:22:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit RobW's homepage
I just wish he had a few more tracks per cd, usually only 15 per mix, so it got a little boring after a while. From what i gather, Chapter 8 wasnt released like the others and was only distributed at the last Hula event (which i managed to download from YouTube.)
However, i dont get why he titled Ch 6 as the final chapter when there were two more afterwards.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  03:57:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
Chapter 6 was titled The Final Chapter because it WAS supposed to be the final chapter. The series was probably revived because of Moonshine. They probably realized how popular the series was and a financial success for the company, so they restarted it.

Due to the financial collapse of Moonshine, however, the last official Happy2BHardcore album was chapter 7. Chapter 8, from what he told me personally, was created as a promotional disc for various labels to possibly have the series signed somewhere else and keep it alive. The WikiPedia page says it was given away as a promotional disc at the last and final Hullabaloo event in 2007, which was 2 years after was deemed the official end of the event.

Chapter 8 is a controversial album, in that many producers have been vocal about Anabolic Frolic selling these CDs for profit. Producers received no royalties from those sales, nor did they initially charge Anabolic Frolic a fee for the inclusion of their tracks on the album since it was initially used as a promotional disc. I bought mine from eBay a long time ago.

As far as why Hullabaloo stopped, it's been mentioned that life happened with most of the DJs. Anabolic Frolic had a child born in the last couple of years that Hullabaloo officially ended in 2005. He probably couldn't support his family on just being the promoter of Hullabaloo, so he took on a more serious and stable job. Recently he's been seen doing magic tricks lol.

There are still some DJs around from that era, specifically DJ Virus. He's still alive and kicking in the Toronto hardcore scene. He's even played in Spain for HTID In The Sun.

As to why there were only 14/15 tracks per album, that's a sign of the times. The majority of mixed albums from pre-2005 have on average 15/16 tracks per album. The mixing style favored a longer track, and also tracks were longer back then as well.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  07:14:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
also, most tracks back then where never under 5 minutes unmixed :P Alot of tracks out today are barely 4:30, and can be mixed out after the first section.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Kebab Head
Advanced Member

Wallis And Futuna Islands
645 posts
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  07:22:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kebab Head's homepage
he ripped people off in the scene like seduction

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  09:54:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
He was unhappy 2b Hardcore

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

ultraskool
Advanced Member

Australia
669 posts
ultraskool has attended 50 events
Posted - 2014/08/08 :  20:57:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ultraskool's homepage
Thanks for that interesting snippet of Happy 2B Hardcore history. it's very interesting how it all evolved but alas, the misfortunes of Anabolic Frolic. Good to know there are people like Dj Virus still holding out for HHC. is this the same 'Virus' that frequents these HHC forums?

quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
Chapter 6 was titled The Final Chapter because it WAS supposed to be the final chapter. The series was probably revived because of Moonshine. They probably realized how popular the series was and a financial success for the company, so they restarted it.

Due to the financial collapse of Moonshine, however, the last official Happy2BHardcore album was chapter 7. Chapter 8, from what he told me personally, was created as a promotional disc for various labels to possibly have the series signed somewhere else and keep it alive. The WikiPedia page says it was given away as a promotional disc at the last and final Hullabaloo event in 2007, which was 2 years after was deemed the official end of the event.

Chapter 8 is a controversial album, in that many producers have been vocal about Anabolic Frolic selling these CDs for profit. Producers received no royalties from those sales, nor did they initially charge Anabolic Frolic a fee for the inclusion of their tracks on the album since it was initially used as a promotional disc. I bought mine from eBay a long time ago.

As far as why Hullabaloo stopped, it's been mentioned that life happened with most of the DJs. Anabolic Frolic had a child born in the last couple of years that Hullabaloo officially ended in 2005. He probably couldn't support his family on just being the promoter of Hullabaloo, so he took on a more serious and stable job. Recently he's been seen doing magic tricks lol.

There are still some DJs around from that era, specifically DJ Virus. He's still alive and kicking in the Toronto hardcore scene. He's even played in Spain for HTID In The Sun.

As to why there were only 14/15 tracks per album, that's a sign of the times. The majority of mixed albums from pre-2005 have on average 15/16 tracks per album. The mixing style favored a longer track, and also tracks were longer back then as well.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2014/08/10 :  11:37:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
They were alright, but there are plenty of other happy hardcore series that are way better mastered and mixed.
Here is a list of Happy Hardcore CDS that put happy2bhardcore to shame.
HARDCORE HEAVEN
UNITED DANCE
FUSION
BONKERS
SLAMMIN VINYL
WOW WHAT A RUSH
THE WORLD OF

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/08/10 :  14:27:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
They were alright, but there are plenty of other happy hardcore series that are way better mastered and mixed.
HARDCORE HEAVEN
UNITED DANCE
FUSION
BONKERS
SLAMMIN VINYL
WOW WHAT A RUSH
THE WORLD OF

oi ya twat, you forgot Off Yer Nut!! :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2014/08/11 :  01:12:44  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Moonshine went bankrupt soon after 7, chapter 8 was released from Frolic himself and unlicensed, I think Frolic was making more money selling the unlicensed "tape packs" from the events as well (which also ended).

Love or hate the guy, you have to give him props for putting on the events and creating the scene in the US, this is all when social media did not exist.

Last time I heard from him Frolic is now a stage magician / self help tape seller.

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2014/08/11 :  05:46:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
HARDCORE HEAVEN
UNITED DANCE
FUSION
BONKERS
SLAMMIN VINYL
WOW WHAT A RUSH
THE WORLD OF

oi ya twat, you forgot Off Yer Nut!! :P

Geezer your right, OFF YER NUT was probably the best out of all of them:)
With Sedders, Brisky etc

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2014/08/11 05:52:32
RobW

United States
23 posts
Posted - 2014/08/14 :  17:22:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit RobW's homepage
Thanks for the explanation everyone. As I said previously, I've only been seriously into Hardcore for only the past year and a half, so there's lots of stuff i probably missed. (I'm pretty much a HipHop, DnB, Jungle, and House DJ for the past 13 years, but I finally quit resisting Hardcore.

Onl1ne
Starting Member

United Kingdom
19 posts
Posted - 2014/08/14 :  17:35:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Onl1ne's homepage
there is no resisting...once its in...your hooked! 13 years now and counting.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/08/14 :  18:13:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
He was unhappy 2b Hardcore

Cracking.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.83 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page