Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 exercise
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  13:48:48  Show profile Send a private message
since i haven't really been feeling to great this year along with a few bereavements in the family i decided to go to my gp and find a way to help get myself back to normal n she suggested exercise

anyone know of anything for a noob coz i don't know where to start lol

Alert moderator
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  16:36:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
you can always download the p90x stuff. I thought it was fun but sadly I couldn't keep up with it lol

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  16:47:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjZelous's homepage
try downloading a workout program called insanity. ive read good stuff about it and my brother did it and he had great results.

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  16:52:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
Buy some comfortable running shoes and a high vis jacket and go for some runs. Always better than a treadmill since you don't get the painful shin splints.

Swimming is a good way of working out. Your stamina is tested, and your whole body is worked out. The downside is, it's expensive, so running is the cheaper option.

It sounds as though you need to improve fitness and that's done by cardio. Hitting the weights and pushing yourself on heavier numbers won't make you any healthier. Stronger yes. Fitter? no

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  16:59:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
Buy some comfortable running shoes and a high vis jacket and go for some runs. Always better than a treadmill since you don't get the painful shin splints.

Swimming is a good way of working out. Your stamina is tested, and your whole body is worked out. The downside is, it's expensive, so running is the cheaper option.

It sounds as though you need to improve fitness and that's done by cardio. Hitting the weights and pushing yourself on heavier numbers won't make you any healthier. Stronger yes. Fitter? no

Yea but running isn't exactly the best form of cardio either. You don't lose that many calories compared to doing something like swimming, or even the Insanity program, which is specifically geared towards burning calories with an intensive workout. Running is still good for you, but for weight loss there are better things to do that target your whole body

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  17:20:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
Running is still good for you, but for weight loss there are better things to do that target your whole body

a don't need to lose weight...i'll disappear if i lose anymore :p

might actually take up swimming since i'm stopping smoking & i can't run for more than 20 seconds lol done a few sit-ups & push-ups earlier and my god am i feeling it i'm badly out of shape i'd like to get back into playing football but not right now i'd probably end up having a heart attack or something lol

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  17:48:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:

Yea but running isn't exactly the best form of cardio either. You don't lose that many calories compared to doing something like swimming, or even the Insanity program, which is specifically geared towards burning calories with an intensive workout. Running is still good for you, but for weight loss there are better things to do that target your whole body

I've not based by opinion on weight loss or calorie burn. As far as getting fit goes, running is a good way to build up stamina and become healthily fit. It's far more convenient than anything else, because you can do it wherever and whenever you like.

Swimming is obviously a great way to stay fit, but it's an expensive and time consuming hobby. A swim membership will probably be ?20-a-month at least, you have to plan to go to public sessions so it's not as convenient either. Other drawbacks include drowziness. Swimming pools are filled with salt and chlorine, so a morning swim will make you sleepy for the rest of the day. Runs will wake you up.

On a more technical scale, swimming exercises your core muscles more and will help anyone lose weight, but you won't reap the rewards of better fitness and stamina unless you push yourself to swim further and for longer over the course of weeks or months. Overweight women can breastroke up and down a swimming pool at a snails pace until lights out every night, and they may lose a fraction of weight, but they'll be no fitter for it. Running is more a test on the body, and by doing it and becoming out-of-breath with a faster heart rate, you're becoming fitter.

Everyone knows I'm heavily biased toward swimming. However, if you want to start a fitness cycle, but I can't see past running. If you want to join a gym, rowing machines are good for your core too and still wear you out.

edit:
The Insanity program is extreme. Everyone I know who has tried it hasn't continued it. It's a stupid concept as well. Traditionally, consistent steady exercise with a spurt of high-energy work out followed by a cool down is a well proven method of gaining fitness. It was always the way my swimming sets were structured when I swam competitively. It's unreasonable, even dangerous to flip that method upside down and start heavy with a spurt of low energy exercise. For someone starting a fitness regime who is unfit, the Insanity project isn't something I'd recommend at all. Mainly because you'll go give yourself a heart attack. The program is a gimmick, becoming notorious for being the 'hardest regime put on DVD'.

Edited by - Elipton on 2014/11/29 17:59:33
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  18:51:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
walk, cycle, swim. thats all ya need

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2014/11/29 :  19:15:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
I bought a used rowing machine for 20? myself, use it rarely, but its nice having it. Other then that, i just use a bicycle to go to work and almost all other trips.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/12/02 :  09:38:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Can't go wrong with running, unless you really don't like it. For me no other form of exercise makes me feel as good as running does. And it doesn't really require anything of you, you can do it any time anywhere.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2014/12/02 :  12:58:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
Bodycombat.

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/12/02 :  16:28:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Bodycombat.

lol if i want to do that all i have to do is go up town on a saturday night :p

djchexmixer

United States
363 posts
djchexmixer has attended 1 event
Posted - 2014/12/02 :  16:57:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djchexmixer's homepage
quote:
you can always download the p90x stuff. I thought it was fun but sadly I couldn't keep up with it lol

I second this. p90x is a fun exercise program, Tony Horton cracks me up.
The videos are well made, even the music is synced to the actual exercise. For example, Tony makes a lame joke and you hear a comic rimshot. He says "It's about to get intense" and sure enough so do does the music.

Not sure why I am putting so much emphasis on the music. Anyway, check out p90x 3 if you're looking for quick 30 minute workouts that'll make you sweat.

The p90x videos have three people to follow during the workout, beginner, intermediate, and crazy person. Or you can always hit that pause button then continue once you catch your breadth.

Happy Dance Fusion Vol. 2:
https://soundcloud.com/dj-cruelcore-neo/happy-dance-fusion-vol-2

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Posted - 2014/12/02 :  19:23:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djchexmixer:
quote:

Tony Horton cracks me up. For example, Tony makes a lame joke and you hear a comic rimshot.

Ahh Americans. It must a blissful ignorance of finding everything funny, even cheesy one-liners in Marvel movies.

Maggers

United States
57 posts
Posted - 2014/12/04 :  02:04:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Maggers's homepage
I'm going to be different than all the runners here and suggest yoga. If you're dealing with loss, pain, and any sort of emotional issues I've found it very helpful. There are a lot of styles, and if you go to a beginner class it will be with an instructor who can spend the time to make sure you're in the right postures. I like hatha and vinyasa, some people really like hot yoga because it's extra challenging in the heat. I'd say try a few styles to find the one that suits you if you go that route.

For a really good work out many of my friends here are in love with crossfit. Again, it's something that requires a very good coach so that you don't injure yourself. But high intensity short workouts are a great way to build strength. Crossfit gyms also tend to help people get their diets in check too with paleo/clean eating challenges.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2014/12/04 :  03:37:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Maggers:
I'm going to be different than all the runners here and suggest yoga. If you're dealing with loss, pain, and any sort of emotional issues I've found it very helpful. There are a lot of styles, and if you go to a beginner class it will be with an instructor who can spend the time to make sure you're in the right postures. I like hatha and vinyasa, some people really like hot yoga because it's extra challenging in the heat. I'd say try a few styles to find the one that suits you if you go that route.

For a really good work out many of my friends here are in love with crossfit. Again, it's something that requires a very good coach so that you don't injure yourself. But high intensity short workouts are a great way to build strength. Crossfit gyms also tend to help people get their diets in check too with paleo/clean eating challenges.

P90x has a yoga, at least the old version. It gets crazy intense after the first hour.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page