Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Does anyone buy AIFF on Beatport?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Alabaster

United Kingdom
33 posts
Posted - 2015/01/19 :  19:45:59  Show profile Send a private message
I'm interested to know if anyone goes for AIFF on Beatport (or any other digital platform which offers the option). Is it a must for professional DJs, or is it ignored? I never do because I can't afford it (not that I am in any way a professional), but what is the norm?

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/01/19 :  20:20:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I thought AIFF was just some 90's tech for streaming solutions. Anyways, I wouldnt buy anything in a format that hasn't been officially updated since 1991. Heck, WAV/RIFF format had an update just 7 years ago :P

No, personally I have never had any experience with AIFF.

But there seems to be a few upsides tho. It allows for Information Data, aswell as ID3, and has a looping function
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Samination on 2015/01/19 20:26:55
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2015/01/19 :  20:36:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
Originaly .wav was microsoft's format and AIFF Apple's. Both are uncompressed PCM (pulse code modulation) files. mp3 is compressed meaning some of it's intergity has been lost.
If anything, buy .wav or .aiff and then convert to .mp3 if you want. In other words, it is always posible to go from a higher resolution format to one that isn't but not the other way around.

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/01/20 :  04:16:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
I buy AIFF. If I'm buying lossless then I really don't care if it's WAV or AIFF or whatever because they all decode into the exact same audio and I can convert between all of them myself in a few seconds with dbpoweramp. The only reason I do AIFF on Beatport is that it usually includes the largest version of the release/label artwork that Beatport offers. Otherwise I have to go through the extra step of downloading it from Beatport and adding it myself or hunting it down on some other website. However, no matter what the lossless format, everything I buy is compressed to FLAC for superior tagging capabilities and some reduction in file size.

EDIT: I find that AIFF is actually a pain because most tagging software that I have used (including the king, mp3tag) doesn't support it, even though it is fully taggable. This is a problem because most DJ hardware (even the $2000 Pioneer CDJ 2000) support only 2 lossless formats: WAV and AIFF. This means a choice between almost no tagging (WAV) and tagging but no convenient software to edit tags (AIFF), and then I have to convert to FLAC anytime I want to edit/fix tags. Some people would probably say something like "AIFF is good enough" or "just use mp3" but those don't work when you have a system that works well and utilizes a IMO superior format. Just a personal rant though, take this with a grain of salt.

Edited by - Impulse_Response on 2015/01/20 04:32:24
Alabaster

United Kingdom
33 posts
Posted - 2015/01/20 :  19:23:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Alabaster's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
I buy AIFF. If I'm buying lossless then I really don't care if it's WAV or AIFF or whatever because they all decode into the exact same audio and I can convert between all of them myself in a few seconds with dbpoweramp. The only reason I do AIFF on Beatport is that it usually includes the largest version of the release/label artwork that Beatport offers. Otherwise I have to go through the extra step of downloading it from Beatport and adding it myself or hunting it down on some other website. However, no matter what the lossless format, everything I buy is compressed to FLAC for superior tagging capabilities and some reduction in file size.

EDIT: I find that AIFF is actually a pain because most tagging software that I have used (including the king, mp3tag) doesn't support it, even though it is fully taggable. This is a problem because most DJ hardware (even the $2000 Pioneer CDJ 2000) support only 2 lossless formats: WAV and AIFF. This means a choice between almost no tagging (WAV) and tagging but no convenient software to edit tags (AIFF), and then I have to convert to FLAC anytime I want to edit/fix tags. Some people would probably say something like "AIFF is good enough" or "just use mp3" but those don't work when you have a system that works well and utilizes a IMO superior format. Just a personal rant though, take this with a grain of salt.

Thanks, so do professionals generally use lossless?

MC Deecee
Average Member

United Kingdom
194 posts
MC Deecee has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/01/20 :  19:43:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit MC Deecee's homepage
I understand that technically speaking a 320 MP3 is of a lesser quality than wav or aiff because it is a lossy compressed format, and I know that audiophiles around the world will be debating this until the end of time, but I am yet to find anyone who can genuinely hear any loss in audio quality, sure, whacking it through software will let you see the difference, but you can't hear it.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2015/01/20 :  20:30:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
I can. TBF I'm moderately trained, and my front end is atypically revealing.

Only reason to go lossless is to exceed 16/44.1khz which is on the cards

CDJay

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page