Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Mixing quality on CDs
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/03/21 :  15:03:16  Show profile Send a private message
It seems that back in the 90s, DJs put more effort into the mixing on a CD mix. When did the quality start to drop? I know the Clubland Hardcore CDs were pretty much a smack in the face to the term "mixed", but even now days, it seems DJs are not wanting to do interesting mixing...no tricks, not much of tempo increase. Does the current crowd just not like hearing the mixing part anymore?

Alert moderator
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/03/21 :  16:13:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Can't please everybody. I don't think there's less effort at all, it's just easier to throw together a well mixed CD
Some want quick mixing and loads of tracks, others want 'traditional' mixing and less tracks.

Some want tricks and effects, others want to hear more of the tracks without the fancy stuff.

Personally, I want CD mixes to be ridiculous examples of mixing, messing about and fun. But saying that, I buy unmixed tracks too so I'm not bothered if mixed CD's contain less of the tunes.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2015/03/21 :  22:11:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
You need to get some of this in your life.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Club-Mix-96/release/562413

it's a beautiful thing.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2015/03/21 :  22:12:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Wrong account Rowan? ;-)

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2015/03/21 :  22:59:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're talking about

:P

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/03/21 :  23:10:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
You need to get some of this in your life.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Club-Mix-96/release/562413

it's a beautiful thing.

If that one-star review is anything to go by, then that sounds like a rather entertaining release. I might need to get my hands on a copy of that.

Mansy

United Kingdom
413 posts
Posted - 2015/03/22 :  12:55:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mansy's homepage
I think alot of it has to do with much shorter intros on tracks now. Now its just a quick 16beat intro and then the breakdown is there, it doesnt bother me that way but i do miss the days of one song finishing and then you can hear the next one comming in, example being sy & unknowns remix of slide away with that stutterd vocal. My god im rolling back the years now :D

Lara B/Galaxia
www.soundcloud.com/dimples-80

Producer of hardcore, house, trance and hardstyle [2005-2023]

ponder

United Kingdom
109 posts
ponder is verified hardcore artist ponder has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/03/22 :  15:47:59  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit ponder's homepage
I think it's got more to do with the era we're living in than the DJs themselves.

It costs a lot of money to put out a big CD release, and as sales of physical media continue to drop, record labels are less willing to take any risks. They want a professional product that they can sell, which will appeal to the broadest audience. Sadly, we no longer live in a time where a scrappily mixed, but fun, Bonkers album will shift 30,000+ units.

Consider that in the mainstream, most club / dance albums don't even advertise who they're mixed by any more.

Edited by - ponder on 2015/03/22 15:50:04
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/03/22 :  17:15:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
personally when i buy a mixed cd i buy it for the music, i couldn't give a shit how it's mixed

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2015/03/22 :  18:31:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
If that one-star review is anything to go by, then that sounds like a rather entertaining release. I might need to get my hands on a copy of that.

you should be able to pick it up on ebay for about 90p, best 90p you will ever spend.

If I was on the net properly and not having to access through a dodgy connection I would upload one or two clips. So joyful.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2015/03/22 :  20:36:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Appalling series of albums.

(Er yes, I still bought them) :-/

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/03/22 :  21:13:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
personally when i buy a mixed cd i buy it for the music, i couldn't give a shit how it's mixed

Yea but it's hard not to miss a bad mix, and it gets rather annoying after awhile. People criticize the H2BH for having appalling mixing, but I rarely ever noticed because the tracklists on the album were just insanely good.

Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/03/24 :  11:27:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage
Because many albums became more about production and music showcasing than DJing and mixing.

Clubland X-Treme albums are a prime example of this.

Gazza1712

United Kingdom
252 posts
Posted - 2015/03/24 :  21:07:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Gazza1712's homepage
A lot of the hardcore CDs that are released nowadays arnt actually mixed, they are put through a computer programme and done that way,

MC Deecee
Average Member

United Kingdom
194 posts
MC Deecee has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/03/25 :  17:11:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit MC Deecee's homepage
I can't remember which one exactly but I think it's either bonkers 4 or 5, one of the discs on there is awful, like not even beat matched half the time, at least every other mix is galloping horses all over the shop lol

Edited by - MC Deecee on 2015/03/25 17:12:28
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/03/25 :  20:35:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MC Deecee:
I can't remember which one exactly but I think it's either bonkers 4 or 5, one of the discs on there is awful, like not even beat matched half the time, at least every other mix is galloping horses all over the shop lol

Probably Hixxy's mix on Bonkers 4. Honestly, I like that you can tell someone is actually mixing the disc!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.06 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page