of 5

Author Thread  
strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  00:59:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
^^ don't most parties have CD decks prepped anyways?

And CD decks have come so far in the last year or so that they've become a very realistic proposition - I mean, even the CDJ-100 is a fine piece of kit.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  12:47:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
now im strting to wonder about gittin vinyl decks at all...

vinyl decks are BIG and BULKY and play stupidly large musical media, which warp/break/skip and need cleaning,

cd players just play cds...

i think ill wait till better quality cd decks become cheaper, and i can mix properly (bout 3 years then...)

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  14:02:56  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage  Reply with quote
slammin and skelter do, and decent clubs
but most places i play at dont have them installed

CAM001 Out MARCH2003
Distribution Through Nu Energy & Imo
www.camelrecords.co.uk

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  14:14:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
That's funny ... down here all the shit clubs have CD only, and it's only the good clubs that have turntables set up. I've even seen one shitty pub-cum-nightclub where the "DJ" was playing off a laptop with two instances of Winamp opened up

TweekiN

Australia
321 posts

71 hardcore releases
TweekiN has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  18:01:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TweekiN's homepage  Reply with quote
What club.. metropolis?

The FORCE is strong with this one

Go hard or GO HOME!!

Go hard or GO HOME!!

weba_d
Advanced Member

Australia
789 posts
weba_d has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  22:50:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit weba_d's homepage  Reply with quote
well why not cd's, they have come along way as far as cd deck are concerned

WEBA D

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  02:06:12  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage  Reply with quote
as far as cd decks are concerned they have come far
vinyl hasnt got much better since the 70's and didnt really get much better untill the 70s from years and years ago

:D

CAM001 Out MARCH2003
www.camelrecords.co.uk

Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Stevie c has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  04:07:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage  Reply with quote
I have cd decks and the only bad thing I would say is those cd's we all own and are already mixed by an excellent Dj like Hixxy or Sy.
1) It makes learning more difficult as you have to pick carefully where to get in and out, also you have to be quick,no long cross overs and 2) When you know a wicked mix is coming, why bother!! I have this amazing old skool drum and Bass jungle cd but one in its virtually impossible to get out for 9 tracks, I just stand there like a lamb chop nodding my head. I even get people saying that mix was wicked when I haven't done anything!! I mumble under my breath and feel guilty for about three days

Your into the sound of Rebellion

rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  04:51:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
thats the main beef wit cds, in order to mix properly wiv em, u need to buy the vinyl anyway, so its unmixed and the full version, and ur guna hafta upgrade, just to play these cds which already need t be made urself by buying the vinyl.

sounds like far too much hassle to jus be able to drop one of ur own choons in during a set

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  06:51:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Yea, well the only reason that is true is coz most HH labels haven't got off their arses yet and done "proper" CD releases.

This is what keeps the casual mainstream buyer at bay, as generally only DJs have record decks (!). Of all my local m8s NONE of them has a record player, I have one but it's lacking a stylus. I'm in no hurry to fix it, I haven't bought any hardcore vinyl since 2001.

If you were an established DJ you'd have CD promos coming out of ur ears, it's just the average buyer and up and coming DJ that'll have trouble getting them.

CDJay

"Some people see things as they are... and say "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and say "Why Not?" "

Skyler

107 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  09:02:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
You are all skirting round the piracy aspect.

With the evolution of CDDecks comes the threat of piracy killing things alltogether.

I mentioned this in a thread before...

Theres no need to bother with buying and then ripping vinyl, just download the mp3s already ripped by others.. You pay nothing and get the tune.. As a result of this vinyl and decks sales will drop.

The scene will fall on its own head if CD Decks take over, due to piracy.

Before CDDecks all DJ's could download mp3s but they couldnt DJ with them, so they would use them as a testbed to try out new tunes before buying the actual vinyl. Now there is no need to buy the vinyl at all.

I am not against CDDecks, I think they are rather good but with music piracy as it is they have so much potential to kill sales. There are enough ****s who dont pay for hardcore as it is.

Also lets think about the rare tune aspect.. all rare tunes will be useless.. instead of buying jj#1 for 50quid or whatever, just download a rip and you never need to even see the original.

You may also think to yourselves that most DJ's would still buy the tunes, well I think thats utter crap really. No one is gonna question wether you downloaded them or not when you are playing them at a venue, especially when they are off CDR's. There is absolutely no need for anyone to buy any records if they have CDDecks.

Which is why I will probably end up getting a pair.. Then I can enjoy not paying for my music as so many others will..

I am with silver on this though, I love vinyl and I really do not want to see my beloved records/decks worthless and CDDecks taking over, if they do take over then I wont be buying much in the future :)

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  10:35:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I love this knee jerk reaction to things, it's the sort of attitude that amuses me greatly.

I guess the solution is just to not actually release music at all, can't possibly be pirated that way innit.

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention. I love the irony when I hear anti-CDJ rants. CDJs saved the hardcore scene in this millenium. Fact. You probably wouldn't even have any new vinyl to play if it wasn't for CDJs and the DJs using them.

CDJay

"Some people see things as they are... and say "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and say "Why Not?" "

Edited by - CDJay on 2003/02/18 10:40:19
strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  12:33:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
Look, release CD singles and you lose sales to piracy, don't release them and you lose sales just from the exclusivity of vinyl and the high price of decent turntables, either way you're gonna get people who would otherwise buy the music refraining instead. I just think the gains to be had from releasing CD's outweigh the costs in increased piracy.

Oh, and you're naive to think full-length mp3's aren't out there already. You'd be surprised what you can get your hands on if you know where to look - both in terms of new tracks and of rare tracks. Considering also that the hardcore scene's too small to get up and say, "We don't want CD decks", and expect it to stick, the best alternative would be to capitalise on it, wouldn't you say?

Raver_Davie

United Kingdom
281 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  13:18:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Everytime I've been to an event there's always CD decks, if you look on all recent rave pics, it's CD decks, the last rave i went to i saw dowster showing dougal his CD collection, so yup they do look like they're used alot.

Also put yourself in there shoes, you've just made a song you can either:

A) burn it onto CD knowing it's gonna be good qaulity and takes just under a minute

or...

B) head down to a pressing plant and have it pressed there, which ive read costs a bomb!

Dave!

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Posted - 2003/02/18 :  13:47:07  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Look, release CD singles and you lose sales to piracy,

wrong, there is a rip group doing EVERY new hardcore vinyl.. so there is no escape
if people want something, they will rip it, no matter what format

CAM001 Out MARCH2003
www.camelrecords.co.uk

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page