of 2

Author Thread  
virus
Advanced Member

Canada
4,346 posts

716 hardcore releases
virus has attended 41 events
Posted - 2003/04/16 :  23:54:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virus's homepage  Reply with quote
"DJ 3D also holds a stateside record with 13 rewinds in a 45 minute set!"

selecta!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Stevie c has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/04/17 :  00:14:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage  Reply with quote
Now that's just silly!!
I agree with you Mouse, me, one is only just acceptable, cos an Mc should dictate to a Dj, using a crowd as emotional blackmail and my point is an MC should not ruin the flow but be part of it. So Scratching is ok but again there are good and bad versions. To ALL MC's ask a mate if you can vocal scratch if not, like me, leave it OUT!! its embrassing. I will practice but only in my bedroom ,on my own, with the curtains drawn, door shut and music up very loud.

I am a Disciple of the
Piano Rush
Follower of the Light
The Elfish angel of Happiness
and your into my sound of Rebellion

KinokoBoy

United States
465 posts
KinokoBoy has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/04/17 :  01:04:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit KinokoBoy's homepage  Reply with quote
How can u hear yerself vocal scratch with the music turned up really loud??....One more thing.....We don't have a garage scene in the states. What is it?? I hear a lot of u brits bashing it all the time, I'm just curious to know if its yer version of Hip HOp.

Bring Hardcore to Upstate New York!!!!

Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/04/17 :  03:01:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage  Reply with quote
Believe me I have the music up loud So I don't have to listen to my shoddy attempts and nor does anyone else.
Anyhow, Garage started as an R&B kinda House music, lots of 'Shine on' stuff,
People would always say its a feeling and difficult to discribe but that's toss,
NOw the modern stuff is Hip hop type beats, but a bit breakbeaty and faster,chunky Old Skool/Housey melody, R&B over tones in the vocals, with a gangstar attitude from MC's saying how they 'Remember the day' or 'Bo' or 'Rewind' Craig David does a soft version of it in between his attempts at being a R&B nob (My wife will hate me for that) ,Miss Dynamite and the Artful Dodger are other examples, Now 'The Streets' has strands of it too, but 'The Streets' are class, probably the best in the genre cos they are more than garage; Their are sub-genres like Speed garage etc etc, but it all diviates from out of the house scene.
the main reason I think people diss it, is beacause of the attitude of a lot of Garage heads rather than the music; I remeber a similar vibe in the hardcore scene around late 92-93, to many wannabe Gangstars not enough ravers. Garage thankfully has taken them and their rubbish mc's with them (hurrah!!) , Garage mixes well with old skool, R&B and some Hip Hop and rap, It is to a large degree an English man's Rap and hip Hop, yes but mainly to fill the void cos those to scenes are so dominated by the US (that's not a complaint or rap is sh!t) So garage has become our version of that so we can say yeah we have something dnagerous hard and cool too! Even French rap batters our's into the ground so something had to be done. To garage you try to dance in a minimal way so you look like you are saying 'Yeah this tune is cool but not as cool as me!!' Back to the attitude it has a smug west coast LA attitude to it, which for London I think is really funny, watching angry agitated people trying to look chilled. Some people in the Garage scene are smug arrogant talentless tossers but some of the music is phat. Oh check out So Solid Crew, there is modern garage personified. These days you love it or hate it, like R&B , I lean towrds dis-liking it. I am not dissing all garage nor all garage heads but their scene will be better,probably when it is not so popular again. I use to like original stuff a lot (cos it got up Housers noses being played in their tents and dance floors) But now unless it is mixed well with Old Skool and no R&B in sight I am prone to not listening to it or considering it dance more like you said our Hip Hop; but has been moving that way for years and years from when people mixed in hip hop and jungle sounds into House. Does that help any? Shout out if you disagree with me guys, it is a little difficult to spesificd but hey I have tried. Garage has one major problem, it is popular and something popular always attracts w**kers and with w**kers comes violence and attitude

I am a Disciple of the
Piano Rush
Follower of the Light

KinokoBoy

United States
465 posts
Posted - 2003/04/17 :  06:27:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit KinokoBoy's homepage  Reply with quote
Interesting!!!! So you were a raver back in 92 and 93!?!? And into Hardcore!! Wasn't hardcore back then clocked at a slower BPM? If I can remember straight, wasn't Moby once considered to produce Hardcore tunes? If he did, the sound of the early 90's hardcore is totally different from todays.

KinokoBoy

United States
465 posts
Posted - 2003/04/17 :  06:32:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit KinokoBoy's homepage  Reply with quote
Interesting!! I take it you were a raver and listened to hardcore back in the early 90's. Was the scene different from what it is now? Is it true that Hardcore back then was clocked at a slower BPM? Oh yeah.....didn't Moby produce Hardcore back in 92-93? I'm really interested in the whole evolution of the hardcore scene; it is nice to hear the history from somebody who's been there when it first started.

KinokoBoy

United States
465 posts
Posted - 2003/04/17 :  06:33:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit KinokoBoy's homepage  Reply with quote
Oh Crap the server listed me two times in a row. Don't I look stupid!!!!!!

Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/04/23 :  02:01:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage  Reply with quote
Yes Moby did do hardcore tunes then but no it wasn't totally different.
Other than Techno (now Gabba) it was the fastest thing out there and people
were still complaining!! (bloody crusties) You can tell thre difference now by looking back but it was just a progression, I still love hardcore in all forms.
Old skool, nu skool, UK hardcore makes no odds really. All of them were and are the best AND just to stay on topic had MC's, an integral part of the scene and vibe

I am a Disciple of the
Piano Rush
Follower of the Light

Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/04/23 :  02:02:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage  Reply with quote
Oh and yes two replies in a row does look silly
oh................poo!

I am a Disciple of the
Piano Rush
Follower of the Light

Otori
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2003/04/23 :  07:04:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Ive tried to sing fast and come up with stuff as i go along but i keep trippin over my own words. So ik now MCing isnt for me

P.L.U.R

P.L.U.R

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.91 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page