Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Starting a scene - Finding other hardcore junkies
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Kickore
Starting Member

United States
6 posts
Posted - 2016/07/12 :  20:25:59  Show profile Send a private message
I wasn't sure exactly how to search for this particular subject in the forums so I thought I'd just make a new post.

I've loved happy/hardcore since I was about 15 (26 now) and have been dying to play a show since I was about 18. My issue is there is NO scene to be spoken of where I live currently. We had a small scene that I didn't know about until it was way too late, that happened to exist out in a nearby city. Though that seemed to be mostly hardstyle with some hardcore sprinkled on top from what I understand.

My question here is,
Has anyone found a way to start up a scene in an area that doesn't have any known backing?

How do you find the bastards? I know literally 2 people who actually like the genre and that's only because I got them in to it (took years, man).
I can't imagine that absolutely no one else here likes/loves it, especially considering we did at one time have a small scene. But I'm at a loss on how to find them. Just post craigslist ads??

I'm trying to avoid moving to Seattle (heard they actually have a scene there) as the cost of living is roughly triple what it is here! I'm passionate enough about hardcore though, so I might end up having to.

Anyone have any advice they can offer me?

I live in Reno, NV, US currently.

Alert moderator
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/07/13 :  13:44:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
easy, the same as the uk, for everyone who couldn't care about all the ******** uk hardcore events start playing when the scene comes alive and then kills it

ultimate street car has EMMA compitition in august in the uk http://www.ultimatestreetcar.co.uk/

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Guest on 2016/07/13 13:48:31
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/07/13 :  13:59:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
please ignore and wait for a reply from either latinxtc or somone else from the US

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/07/13 :  14:03:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
why, there is never a EDC without hardcore

play hardcore in your car, they will soon come and ask what your playing and you say proper hardcore, the world wide shit

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/07/13 :  20:27:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
If you simply can't find fans of the genre, then you're gonna have to expose them to it.

Have you tried meetup.com? You could start your own meetup for harder EDM fans, and just see who joins.

What about college radio shows? You might can ask to DJ like an hour set or something, or submit a mix for them to play.

Tap into what remains of that hardstyle scene! Some Hardcore is better than no Hardcore.

I've seen people pass out promos of their music (usually bands) on walking bridges, sidewalks, etc. You might could burn a few of your mixes and put your voice out there! (I would hit up places where peeps our age would be found).

Those are just some ideas. Terms like Happy2bHardcore, Anabolic Frolic, Happy Hardcore, Toytown, Bonkers, are becoming more and more nonexistent throughout the States. Darren Styles & Gammer are pretty much the two names the new generation instantly recognizes if they're in a hardcore scene.

I talked to the guy behind TNEDM,

1.Be prepared to lose a lot of money lol.
2. Get a solid set of friends that will help promote (online and in person).
3. Find some small venues and start throwing monthly events.
keep it small and local for a while, if it becomes a success start bringing small headliners.
oh and book a variety of genres.

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2016/07/13 20:36:45
Golion

Sweden
27 posts
Posted - 2016/07/13 :  22:31:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Golion's homepage
Is there a scene for other styles of electronic dance music? Many people like to go out and party to electronic music but are not that picky about what style is playing as long as it's good for dancing.
I think it's among those folk that you can find future hardcore-ravers =) And if you start organizing partys don't expect alot of people showing up at the first ones - it can take alot of time building a scene (we used to have nothing where I live but thanks to some stubborn people never giving up we now have a scene for harddancemusic).

Good luck spreading hardcore =)

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2016/07/14 :  00:04:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Golion:
Is there a scene for other styles of electronic dance music? Many people like to go out and party to electronic music but are not that picky about what style is playing as long as it's good for dancing.

My experience says that this doesn't really apply in the US. Let's take the average college student for example. He/she wants to hear regular ol' top 40 hits, rap, or maybe slower electronic styles like trap and big room. Even average vocal trance at 140 BPM is pushing it, and hardcore is simply way too fast.

I'm in a DJ club at my university, and even there I've had people tell me that hardcore is too fast and not accessible enough. The only way we got to play trance at an actual nightclub was by a special arrangement called "Underground Music Night," where DJs from our group played styles like trance and house that are not the least big underground.

DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2016/07/14 :  01:29:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjZelous's homepage
Im from miami the most hardcore weve ever gotten is when carnage dropped Gammers "Red Drink Foam Party" for about 20 seconds. And it got a massive reaction. Thats literally ALL the hardcore miami has ever had Aside from when cotts & ravine, Jimni cricket, Rhythmics played at a small venue back in 2010. the most we can do is flood the inboxes of the big guys (Carnage, Hardwell, MAKJ) With quality hardcore tunes. I wish there was a scene for hardcore here :( miami is only commercial edm sadly

Golion

Sweden
27 posts
Posted - 2016/07/14 :  11:38:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Golion's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
quote:
Originally posted by Golion:

My experience says that this doesn't really apply in the US. Let's take the average college student for example. He/she wants to hear regular ol' top 40 hits, rap, or maybe slower electronic styles like trap and big room. Even average vocal trance at 140 BPM is pushing it, and hardcore is simply way too fast.

I'm in a DJ club at my university, and even there I've had people tell me that hardcore is too fast and not accessible enough. The only way we got to play trance at an actual nightclub was by a special arrangement called "Underground Music Night," where DJs from our group played styles like trance and house that are not the least big underground.

That sounds like a different challenge than over here :/ We have the top 40 crowd here aswell but there is also an alternative scene for "proper" electronic dance music.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/07/14 :  11:50:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
Im from miami the most hardcore weve ever gotten is when carnage dropped Gammers "Red Drink Foam Party" for about 20 seconds. And it got a massive reaction. Thats literally ALL the hardcore miami has ever had Aside from when cotts & ravine, Jimni cricket, Rhythmics played at a small venue back in 2010. the most we can do is flood the inboxes of the big guys (Carnage, Hardwell, MAKJ) With quality hardcore tunes. I wish there was a scene for hardcore here :( miami is only commercial edm sadly

tell these you want korsakoff and darren styles

https://ultramusicfestival.com/lineup/
https://ultramusicfestival.com/contact-us/

it will be all

Edited by - Guest on 2016/07/14 12:06:18
Kickore
Starting Member

United States
6 posts
Posted - 2016/07/16 :  11:11:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kickore's homepage
Wow guys, thanks!
I appreciate all the replies, even Guest, with their strangely on/off/videospam-topic replies.

Here in Reno we have a huge EDM scene which unfortunately mostly comprises of bro's and the like.
It's not unheard of to have an underground scene here, which is what I'm hoping for. I found out tonight that there is indeed one other person here in town that produces hardcore, which is a huge plus. Now if only I knew his name...

Either way, I'm going to go ahead and give it a try. Find some place where we can play and be loud as shit without bothering anyone. I have a decent sound setup that will at least make it for the first couple shows before getting a PA of some sort.

Going to just go for harddance for now until there's some sort of a backing where more people tend to get into harder/faster genres.

Oh man, the thought of speedcore being played on a huge PA system....

Thanks again guys!

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2016/07/16 :  17:37:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kickore:

I can imagine a turnout for a trance or a house show... I can even fathom a relatively decent amount for a happy hardcore show... but you're pushing it with Speedcore, that's a little TOO underground.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/07/18 :  00:15:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Wow guys, thanks!
I appreciate all the replies, even Guest, with their strangely on/off/videospam-topic replies.

Here in Reno we have a huge EDM scene which unfortunately mostly comprises of bro's and the like.
It's not unheard of to have an underground scene here, which is what I'm hoping for. I found out tonight that there is indeed one other person here in town that produces hardcore, which is a huge plus. Now if only I knew his name...

Either way, I'm going to go ahead and give it a try. Find some place where we can play and be loud as shit without bothering anyone. I have a decent sound setup that will at least make it for the first couple shows before getting a PA of some sort.

Going to just go for harddance for now until there's some sort of a backing where more people tend to get into harder/faster genres.

Thanks again guys!

nobody cares about speedcore, industrial or pitched up hardcore, if you want to make a scene, stick to proper hardcore

if you start playing speedcore, industrial, frenchcore and all the other ********, it will die, like those scenes have been dead since the mid 90s

nu skool hardcore, came because its nu skool, and nothing todo with all the old gabba shit, like events are suppose to be, which is what made hardcore get big all around europe

hit the liked mixes https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd916r4UY5Aa5MpxnVs8uMw

pimped cars, like bass, and parties, and make up millions of people, who buy the CD, and goto events and listen to the radio shows all parked up, not something to spend 10 years taking the piss out of with your crap middleclass life

Edited by - Guest on 2016/07/18 00:18:45
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/07/18 :  00:39:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
quote:
Wow guys, thanks!

Thanks again guys!

nobody cares about speedcore, industrial or pitched up hardcore, if you want to make a scene, stick to proper hardcore

if you start playing speedcore, industrial, frenchcore and all the other ********, it will die, like those scenes have been dead since the mid 90s

nu skool hardcore, came because its nu skool, and nothing todo with all the old gabba shit, like events are suppose to be, which is what made hardcore get big all around europe

hit the liked mixes https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd916r4UY5Aa5MpxnVs8uMw

pimped cars, like bass, and parties, and make up millions of people, who buy the CD, and goto events and listen to the radio shows all parked up, not something to spend 10 years taking the piss out of with your crap middleclass life

probably have to knock up 31->62hz on your soundcard EQ, distortion is just the mid range when layer your basses

Edited by - Guest on 2016/07/18 00:39:58
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2016/07/18 :  21:23:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
please ignore and wait for a reply from either latinxtc or somone else from the US

lol

shit; honestly i will go to a public area drunk as **** with a speaker and and some hardcore and start getting down. Bound to meet some curious souls nowadays; especially with so much lame EDM out there. I know I would approach me and be like " WTF ; this music is sick! what the hell is going on!

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2016/07/18 :  21:26:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
I wasn't sure exactly how to search for this particular subject in the forums so I thought I'd just make a new post.

I've loved happy/hardcore since I was about 15 (26 now) and have been dying to play a show since I was about 18. My issue is there is NO scene to be spoken of where I live currently. We had a small scene that I didn't know about until it was way too late, that happened to exist out in a nearby city. Though that seemed to be mostly hardstyle with some hardcore sprinkled on top from what I understand.

My question here is,
Has anyone found a way to start up a scene in an area that doesn't have any known backing?

How do you find the bastards? I know literally 2 people who actually like the genre and that's only because I got them in to it (took years, man).
I can't imagine that absolutely no one else here likes/loves it, especially considering we did at one time have a small scene. But I'm at a loss on how to find them. Just post craigslist ads??

I'm trying to avoid moving to Seattle (heard they actually have a scene there) as the cost of living is roughly triple what it is here! I'm passionate enough about hardcore though, so I might end up having to.

Anyone have any advice they can offer me?

I live in Reno, NV, US currently.

and make it out to the next HTID USA and meet us all :D

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.89 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page