of 2

Author Thread  
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/10/03 :  16:57:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Powerstomp isn't really new. DJ Kurt has made "Powerbounce" for the better better half of 2010, if not already since 2006

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2016/10/11 :  21:31:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
I understand what you're saying about Hardstyle Claxton. Yeah it's been a genre that's been very successful in recent years as you've said in mainland Europe. It's not a genre I've been that keen on. There are some tracks I've been a fan off but there are parts of the genre that just don't do it for me.

I suppose there are some similarities between the two genres as you've mentioned. I don't really think UK hardcore needs to follow the hardstyle lead. I suppose I don't mind some hardstyle influences in UK Hardcore but not a full on hardstyle track.

I think UK hardcore just needs to do what it's done best in the past from the 90s and 2000s.

If you haven't already heard this recent mix from Al Storm - THIS is what UK Hardcore is about in my opinion.
https://soundcloud.com/alstorm/welcome-to-the-jungle-promo-mix-al-storm

Some great sounding new tracks with some superb new remixes of old hardcore tracks from the 90s.

It's easy for me to say this as I've been into hardcore for 20 years now so this is the style I enjoy the most.

Not every track on this mix is what I'm into - my style is uplifting tracks with/without vocals. I'm not much of a fan of the newer electro and power stomp style.

Some tracks I'm really liking in this mix include I Rave You, Start the magic, Sugar & Spice remix, Run to me remix, Kickin Hard remix, Rock that body remix, Turn Around, Blue Eyes remix, Noisemaker is back. Wherever you go sounds great - the hardstyle part works well.

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2016/10/11 21:32:59
Bring Me Round To Love

United Kingdom
116 posts
Posted - 2016/10/11 :  22:21:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bring Me Round To Love's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
If you haven't already heard this recent mix from Al Storm - THIS is what UK Hardcore is about in my opinion.

Some great sounding new tracks with some superb new remixes of old hardcore tracks from the 90s.

Some nice tracks in that mix, how modern Hardcore should be, keeping the balance of old and new styles, thanks for the heads up.

Jaybee

United States
84 posts
Jaybee has attended 24 events
Posted - 2016/10/11 :  22:21:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jaybee's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
quote:

Some nice tracks in that mix, how modern Hardcore should be, keeping the balance of old and new styles, thanks for the heads up.

I heard snippets of my fav scott song in there! Thanks!

Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2016/10/11 :  22:35:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage  Reply with quote
When I suggested Hardcore modelling Hardstyle I wasn't referring to the sound of the music. I meant more the way the genre is marketed, its image and its target audience etc.

I only compared the similarities in the music to show why Hardcore's sound needn't be a limitation.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/11 :  23:02:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
quote:

Fooook. This sounds heavy, lads!

Now this is music that I want to take drugs to. Just listen to them supersaws! Even enjoying the ravey stabs.

Thanks, Sulphurik, for restoring my faith in hardcore a little tiny bit. If Al Storm is going to use 24/7 to promote this kind of sound then maybe we're still in business.

Edit: It's getting slightly less impressive now.

Edit 2: OH FFS. I just got to Gammer's Surrender remix. It's just the original ****ing tune with some generic big room kick on it and the same whiny weak shit lead he uses on everything these days. It's funny that Gammer's tracks all sound far more similar now than they did in the supposedly "identicore" '00s.

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/12 00:03:34
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/11 :  23:15:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
When I suggested Hardcore modelling Hardstyle I wasn't referring to the sound of the music. I meant more the way the genre is marketed, its image and its target audience etc.

I only compared the similarities in the music to show why Hardcore's sound needn't be a limitation.

My opinion is that hardstyle earlier this decade took a lot of inspiration from UK hardcore last decade. Some of the leads are just UK hardcore leads at 140bpm with a distorted kick underneath. For that reason, I found myself loving a lot of hardstyle in ~2012.

If they can succeed, why not us? I agree with you on this point.

All that happened is that hardstyle reached critical mass and then the snowball effect kicked in. We had a similar thing on a smaller scale in the mid '00s with CXH. I haven't heard UK hardcore at a house party since 2009 but amongst my age group (secondary/college) it was huge from about 2004 to about 2008. I have particularly great memories of 2008 where we had 2 huge house-wrecking parties playing nothing but hardcore all night. And every single person was getting down to it. Hardcore is nothing here anymore. On the few occasions we revive it while driving around at night or whatever, we're still bumping CXH 4. Ironically, I don't think anyone in my area even realises that hardcore is still being made. I have no idea what they'd make of the modern sound but it's kind of amusing to me that everyone keeps banging on about hardcore is finally achieving mainstream recognition/awareness/popularity/whatever when, in my experience, the complete opposite is true.

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/10/14 :  15:09:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
My opinion is that hardstyle earlier this decade took a lot of inspiration from UK hardcore last decade.

Nothing against your opinion but that is pretty far fetched.

The main difference between Hardstyle and UK hardcore is that the first developed on continental Europe, the later on this one Island above that doesn't even wanna play with the rest. It always strikes me how much of a bubble the UK must be music wise when reading through the posts here. If one wanna take any step Hardstyle did (repeating myself) you will have to get UK/Happy Hardcore over to the mainland.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2016/10/16 :  12:39:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
There have been attempts to model Hardcore on the success of pretty much everything over the past 15+ years, none have really worked out.

Basically, there just seems to be a built in dislike of Hardcore by most people and I don't know what can be done to change that.

Even a PR/Marketing genius would have trouble getting it out there to a much wider audience.

This is accurate. Although i don't see why there is a need to change it. There is nothing to gain from more people liking the genre to a more average degree. The very thing that makes Hardcore what it is is that it is not average, not too many people like it but those that do like it a lot. The only way to make more people like it is to make it more average and watered down, thus becoming something different (much like it already has).
Hardstyle is indeed very successful. But look at how awful it had to sound to become that way. And that's the thing that matters is it not? The music.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2016/10/16 12:41:25
oxis

Portugal
128 posts
Posted - 2016/10/16 :  18:21:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit oxis's homepage  Reply with quote
It is worth mentioning that hardstyle wasn't always what it is now, generally the fartkick is associated with hardstyle but a lot of it used to be pretty similar to other hardcore related genres with the angry reverse bass and hard undistorted kick, and similar to gabber when it comes to synths and general "tone" (I know they still have dark hardstyle tracks but i find them a lot more uncommon, atleast from what i have heard). Instead of trying to directly take inspiration from current hardstyle, it could be a better option to see what they changed from old to new hardstyle and apply some of the principles to happy hardcore. Just speculation on my part, but that way you might end up with something that works and isn't a blatant hardstyle ripoff.

quote:
There have been attempts to model Hardcore on the success of pretty much everything over the past 15+ years, none have really worked out.

Basically, there just seems to be a built in dislike of Hardcore by most people and I don't know what can be done to change that.

Even a PR/Marketing genius would have trouble getting it out there to a much wider audience.

In this case, the common denominator is at fault, the BPM. It's just way too fast I guess :( Usually there are tons of people that complain that hardcore is not the same anymore, it sounds like house music now, etc. Personally the only untouchable variable in hardcore for me is the BPM, it only stops being hardcore once you change that (assuming we are talking about dance music of course).

There are decent attempts being made by the big names (Styles, Dougal & Gammer) that got some attention though, so maybe it is possible. You can claim that they don't make the music you like anymore, but you can't deny that they are trying pretty hard, the production value on some of these guys' stuff is really good.

Edited by - oxis on 2016/10/16 18:32:34
Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2016/10/17 :  14:14:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:

This is accurate. Although i don't see why there is a need to change it. There is nothing to gain from more people liking the genre to a more average degree. The very thing that makes Hardcore what it is is that it is not average, not too many people like it but those that do like it a lot. The only way to make more people like it is to make it more average and watered down, thus becoming something different (much like it already has).
Hardstyle is indeed very successful. But look at how awful it had to sound to become that way. And that's the thing that matters is it not? The music.

People always say this or something along the lines of "well I wouldn't want Hardcore to become mainstream anyway..."

But the point is: the more popular a genre becomes, the better the strength in depth becomes. The underground of the genre would improve. More people would attend raves where the 'mid-tier' and lesser known artists are playing. More people would be making Hardcore.

What we have currently is a scene where there is so little happening you kind of have to like most the music to be current and active. If the scene was bigger, you could literally ignore/discard movements, promoters and sections of artists because it wouldn't matter; they would still be successful and you would still have a wealth of choice.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page