Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 One Big NYE (Discussion)
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  05:59:58  Show profile Send a private message
I haven't bothered submitting the event for this because there's no lineup yet but is anyone from here planning on going?

It has multiple 'brands' (I *hate* the way that term gets used) - HTID, Hardcore Heaven, The Only Way Is Hardcore, We Are Hardcore, Ravers Reunited, Hard as F**k and is being held at Leicester o2

What are people thinking? Will it be the saving grace?

burger van at midnight, anyone? :)

Alert moderator
Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  08:32:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage
That rave would be mega rammed and I need room to dance so I'm out

Alert moderator Go to top of page
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  09:25:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
Yeah I hate not being able to move as well :(

I'm getting too old and thought '**** it', if I get the right level of wrecked then it might just be bearable

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  12:16:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
Wish i was, but on NYE'S the wife prefers us to do things 'as a family' ..... F*ckin weirdo she is

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  18:35:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I always work around new year so wouldn't be able to go even if I was interested.

The line up and the event itself should be fantastic but there's no way I could bring myself to go to a big event these days. Too many people, guaranteed bellends, I'm too old etc etc...

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  22:24:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
**** me, we really are a bunch of whiny old men on this forum. We're the "get off my lawn" ravers.

My excuse is that I'm infirm. The rest of you are just dinosaurs.

Come on, lads, get down with the kids.

In all seriousness though, the guys at big raves now are complete tubes (even more than before). I prefer being an armchair fan. Besides, I get to hang out with you dicks. HH.com users are probably the most intelligent hardcore fans on the planet. We're also probably the biggest fans of the music. I'm not even being sarcastic.

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/06 22:31:33
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  22:38:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
We are the most intelligent fans of a scene comprising almost entirely of complete and utter mongs, fair play :)

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  22:43:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
We are the most intelligent fans of a scene comprising almost entirely of complete and utter mongs, fair play :)

Mate, I was trying to be diplomatic!

But yeah, that was pretty much what I meant.

We're kings of the retard castle, conductors of the short bus etc.

Btw, I'm listening to your Late 00s mix. Very obvious track selection but otherwise good stuff! Underrated era imo. Hardcore in 2016 makes '07-'09 look like paradise. I remember people ripping on HTID 3 so hard but with hindsight, that album was incredible compared to what came next. By people, I don't mean me. I always loved HTID 3.

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/06 22:47:10
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  22:54:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
I've been listening to some older hardcore that I found recently and even going back a few years to when the 'dubcore' sound first came about... that was much better than the shite around these days. Depressing. The lack of decent hardcore these days has left a pretty big gap in my life.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2016/10/06 :  23:56:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
I've been listening to some older hardcore that I found recently and even going back a few years to when the 'dubcore' sound first came about... that was much better than the shite around these days. Depressing. The lack of decent hardcore these days has left a pretty big gap in my life.

Amen to that mate.

I've been saying this all along. Hardcore didn't really nosedive until after 2012. Sure, after 2010 the % of good tracks went down but there were still plenty of gems to be found. And even the stuff that sounded stupid at the time was great with hindsight. Like that Re-Con & Demand album. Hell, even that Squad-E album sounds good now. Guiding Light was a screamer and Evora was great too.

I'll quote myself here in a response to you in another thread:
quote:
Since our tastes are very similar, I can tell you that this year's releases have mostly been shite. It's just that the handful of survivors and stragglers left on this forum have learnt to adapt to the new sounds of hardcore.

Our preferred sound is dead. It's over. It was an incredble run and I'll never forget it. Some of the best moments of my life have had a hardcore soundtrack. I'm going to continue listening to '01-'12 hardcore until I'm far too old (if I live that long). I'll also keep producing tracks in that style (if only I was half-decent at the engineering part..). I'll do my bit to keep the magic alive. RIP though really.

I really think I've reached the end of the road as far as modern hardcore is concerned. No big deal though because I'm going to go back to completing my '00s label collection (over 300 complete labels and counting). I don't know what I'll do when I run out of the old stuff though!

Pretty sure I've got the biggest '00s digi collection on the planet. I've even got a Be The One master wav somewhere (no idea how I got it). Maybe I should make a thread where we all compare our collections.

Edited by - Elliott on 2016/10/07 00:00:18
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
Posted - 2016/10/07 :  06:07:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
Btw, I'm listening to your Late 00s mix. Very obvious track selection but otherwise good stuff! Underrated era imo. Hardcore in 2016 makes '07-'09 look like paradise. I remember people ripping on HTID 3 so hard but with hindsight, that album was incredible compared to what came next. By people, I don't mean me. I always loved HTID 3.

Fair play, cheers. It's a bit of a 'crowd pleaser/anthem bashing' set I agree but that was pretty much my aim for those few mixes that cover an era. Also, a lot of my pre-digital tracks are super ropey sounding so that played a factor in my selection as well. I need to do a 95-98ish mix at some point, to fill the gap

I will take a second to remind everyone that HAS is a thing and that it's good people!

There's definitely a lot of shit tracks around, there's the occasional gem but it's very rare to find a track that gives you a lump in your throat like a lot of those oldies. I don't know how much of that is built out of memories and nostalgia, though. The new label Legitimate from D-Lyte is doing the 2000s Thin n Crispy type sound and has 4 or 5 releases so far but I am dying for some melancholic/epic vocal tracks that just haven't been put out (the closest I've found vocalwise is probably on the Technikore remix of Gregor Le DahL - Change from DJ Tools 5, that's definitely a keeper)

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2016/10/07 :  19:06:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:

Amen to that mate.

I've been saying this all along. Hardcore didn't really nosedive until after 2012. Sure, after 2010 the % of good tracks went down but there were still plenty of gems to be found. And even the stuff that sounded stupid at the time was great with hindsight. Like that Re-Con & Demand album. Hell, even that Squad-E album sounds good now. Guiding Light was a screamer and Evora was great too.

I'll quote myself here in a response to you in another thread:
quote:
Since our tastes are very similar, I can tell you that this year's releases have mostly been shite. It's just that the handful of survivors and stragglers left on this forum have learnt to adapt to the new sounds of hardcore.

Our preferred sound is dead. It's over. It was an incredble run and I'll never forget it. Some of the best moments of my life have had a hardcore soundtrack. I'm going to continue listening to '01-'12 hardcore until I'm far too old (if I live that long). I'll also keep producing tracks in that style (if only I was half-decent at the engineering part..). I'll do my bit to keep the magic alive. RIP though really.

I really think I've reached the end of the road as far as modern hardcore is concerned. No big deal though because I'm going to go back to completing my '00s label collection (over 300 complete labels and counting). I don't know what I'll do when I run out of the old stuff though!

Pretty sure I've got the biggest '00s digi collection on the planet. I've even got a Be The One master wav somewhere (no idea how I got it). Maybe I should make a thread where we all compare our collections.

Agree with that. The best years for me were around 03-07. But from 08 to 2013 was still good and a lot of producers were still making regular tunes and releasing tracks frequently. During those years, my interest did waiver somewhat, but looking back now as I have been, there was still a decent amount of good tunes about.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/10/07 :  22:14:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
See, as much as I don't like to engage here.... 2013. That's when we started our direct sale store.

We've put out more albums in that short time than there were in the previous 10 years.

There's a CLSM album, a Marc Smith album, a Brisk album, a Dougal & Gammer album, Happy Hardcore Underground, countless new artist albums. two major compilation albums and a bunch of leading label albums. Free EPs, store samplers, endless podcasts. Within two years, '13-'15. I'd argue that's the best curated content dump run the genre has had since the regular vinyl releases of long yesteryear.

We'll close the year with a UHD Blu-ray and major comp revival, and yes.... if you hate "the new sound" it'll definitely leave you cold if you approach it looking for a fight. That said, this happens every time there is a shift in style or soundset (and I really wasn't anywhere near as keen on the genericore of 2008 - 2011, or the dubcore stuff of 2011-2013 as some). Our role has shifted from being an alternative platform to the mainstream to whatever we're attempting now. I'd rather be pushing diversity, but atm the front line needs a boost so we'll direct attention to that.

I remain somewhat convinced that the major informed/articulate detractors (yes, you two, I actually do see where you're coming from here) are informed by affinity to the 00s. I've always been a child of the 90's and frankly I see more of that spirit in some of the stuff I'm sitting on than I did of nearly anything that featured on an AATW album. Some of the more house-tinted stuff unsurprisingly has pianos, melancholy and discordance that reminds me of Vibes & Wishdokta or golden era Force & Styles than simplistic hands-up-scouse-house-core.

Swings and roundabouts; it doesn't mean you care more about a genre; it shows an affinity that has a best before. That's fine, it's happened when 4-beat came in, it happened when vocals became predominant, it happened when the original trance elements came in (badly) in 98/99. It happened to me around 2006, and it happened to me even more so in 2012. Join the club; *your* golden era left me cold.

CDJay

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/10/07 :  22:35:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
Oh, and I will be at this event; it's a fairly important date in the diary for anyone who wants the genre to survive 'n thrive through '17 and beyond. UK side, anyway.

CDJay

Rodz90
Average Member

United Kingdom
208 posts
Posted - 2016/10/08 :  08:48:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rodz90's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
Oh, and I will be at this event; it's a fairly important date in the diary for anyone who wants the genre to survive 'n thrive through '17 and beyond. UK side, anyway.

CDJay

How come you say that? I wouldn't be able to attend for pretty much all the reasons above, but if it's an important date for the genre then that could sway things.

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
Posted - 2016/10/08 :  09:00:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
CDJay - I'll try and buy you a drink if I see you!

Rodz90 - The event is being billed as the union of all the 'brands', last year we had two or three 'big' new years eve events, by the sounds of it, this'll be the only big NYE rave (for Upfront hardcore at least). I think the idea is to get everyone together to have a really excellent night. Obviously the number of willing ravers has been dwindling so I think it's to show what it can be like if everyone gets together. Something like that anyway. I don't really know why one event can be so important but those that probably know better than me say it can be, so I'm on it.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.92 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page