Total online 1829
 Radio listeners 164+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 To rave or not to rave, that is the question...
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
scifijungle
Banned

Australia
7 posts
Posted - 2001/08/14 :  01:06:55  Show profile Send a private message  Visit scifijungle's homepage
Just something i found, its a little long but worth a read. Seems to be a touchy subject as of late. Thought this might make you feel good when you read, remember and relate!!

PeACe

SCiFIJungle

What Is Raving All About?

Author: Whitney Prince -- PLUR 2K member: Ashke

"For me...

Raving is about a random nameless kid on the street glancing at my bracelets, smiling bright, and passing me this beautiful bright-colored flyer without a word, and disappearing into the crowd again.

Raving is about spending hours gazing at this psychadelic flyer and memorizing the DJ list and trying to convince all my kids that they’ve just GOT to come to this phat party I’m so psyched about.

Raving is about the day of the party being FINALLY HERE and dancing through the whole morning on this happy cloud of anticipation and driving my friends and loved ones insane with my irrepressible cheer.

Raving is about spending three hours before the party donning party gear and applying the necessary pounds of glitter, fairy wings, glowing star stickers to the toes of my boots, brand new ready-to-give-away candy on my wrists, and plastic rhinestones from the fabric store stuck onto my cheeks and brow with nail glue that clearly reads on the label "AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN".

Raving is about the long drive there in a teeny car packed way over capacity with party kids all as psyched and joyous as I am, our elbows jostling, the techno music thumping, the laughter warming the car when the broken heater can’t, and the absolutely ridiculous assembly-line procedure of delicately passing a cigarette from one end of the cramped car to the other so it can get ashed out the only not-frozen-shut window.

Raving is about the parking lot outside, with kids hocking their various chemical wares with little subtlety, where I stand admiring the packs of party kids as they migrate towards the venue, grinning and shouting out to familiar faces... and past the sea of parked cars I hear tendrils of very faint music thumping over the horizon and it weaves into my brain this tapestry of anticipation until I’m bouncing in circles around the car waiting for everybody else to get their ##### together already so we can GET TO THE PARTY!!

Raving is about the immediate five people ahead and behind you in the long ass line to get in, as together you shiver, swap introductions, bracelets, and small talk, holler futilely at cutters, and later contemplate how amazing it is that you have these new friendships and owe it all to proximity and circumstance.

Raving is about the suspence as the security pats you down and comes soooo close to yer stash but then her hands move away and you get this tinglehappythrill they boredly wave you through and you dance past her into the crowd.

Raving is about... you’re in. O god. Awe.

Raving is about overcoming those initial standstill moments of drinking it all in, letting the pulse of music and the vibe wash over silly dumbstruck you... and then slowly it pulls at you until you find yourself one with the crowd, dancing wild and drunk on bliss.

Raving is about here, you are so cool, have a bracelet! Your visor is so nekkid, have a star! You lost your binky? Have a blowpop! This is your first rave? Have a bracelet and a huge hug and a fabulous time!!

Raving is about where are they selling the glowsticks?!

Raving is about ohh you are so cool, I love you to death, lets trade numbers and email address so we can keep in touch... oh ##### I don’t have a pen!! (And then like six people standing nearby dig out pens for you).

Raving is about the music.

Raving is about the girl lost in the music and dancing like she’s the only one in the room, or she’s One with the room as a whole, or somewhere inbetween. It’s about the boy who’s hypnotized a whole circle of onlookers with his insane beautiful liquids and is so entranced himself that he hasn’t even noticed his audience. It’s about the DJ who’s world has become his little place behind the scene where he’s spinning out rhythms and the turntables have become an extension of his soul, his greatest love, his sense of purpose.

Raving is about hitting that first stage of exhaustion after hours of hard dancing and surging adreneline, and stumbling to the chill out room and finding a little niche to sprawl out with someone you love and rub eachother’s shoulders and let empathy and love for him or her fill your heart to bursting.

Raving is about getting your second wind and tugging the person up again to rush back out and join the crowd.

Raving is about helping out the kid who’s sick in the bathroom, finding them some sugar to help them come down a bit, tying back loose hair and fanning them with a flyer, telling them they’ll be fine.

Raving is about seeing that kid hours later, all recovered and happy and flashing you a secret smile of thanks as you pass by.

Raving is about the flash of regret as you realize the crowd has thinned and you’ve nearly pushed yourself to your physical limitations and that outside the sun is probably lighting up the eastern horizon.

Raving is about sleeping peacefully on the ride home, cheek to the shoulder of a loved one.

Raving is about that next day of recovery, achey and zombie-brained and full of crazy bright memories.

Raving is about doing it all over again next weekend.

'Find what you love. Love what you find.'"

I'm gone sending you outer space...to find another race...

Alert moderator
jenny

United Kingdom
44 posts
Posted - 2001/08/14 :  07:26:43  Show profile  Send a private message
That is sooooo true, reading that brought back a load of memories and deffinatley made me feel good.

Cheers scifijungle, that brought a smile to my face, i cant wait till my next rave now!!!!!!!!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2001/12/05 :  05:02:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Oh f*ck off. I mean its nice to have the illusion that all that happens but while the spirit of raves here in brisbane is better than your avarage pub (just) I hate the following about raves

Festy toilets
Chewing gum bum
Bad Drugs (Had a nasty episode recently)
$4 water (F*cking hell it falls from the sky)
Lack of the constantly mentioned Respect
No F*cking Happy hardcore djs (Well it is brisbane)
Getting called a freak on your way there by 'ordinary folk' who buy their clothes at city beach
Heat and lack of aircon
Drinkers not respecting your dancing space

thats about it. Apart from that its great! hah...

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/12/05 :  05:07:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
in holland the amtosfeer is good at parties.
two weeks ago there was dance excodus
bass & king mathew played.
and i had a realy good time.

only the dress code of some is very weird.
but the school girl look of the girls is nice.
short dresses

You can't see me,because i am the future.

Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2001/12/05 :  17:44:28  Show profile  Send a private message
Heist face it......Brisbane is just S**t for raving then innit, Ok we pay extortionate prices for bottles ect, but i have never ha dthat badda time when i been out...then again i dotn insist on bein off my face evrytime....U shud come to teh Uk, raving is great over here:) (god i jst love to rub it in)

Ant B

Skeenip
Average Member

Australia
228 posts
Skeenip has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/12/06 :  09:49:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skeenip's homepage
/rant
Sadly enough Heist is right. Its PLUR with the drugs, bitterness and hate without. Sometimes I just look around and think what an illusion.....yeah PLUR i'm sure. PLUR the drug f*cked eleventeen yr old. PLUR the dodgy dealer giving special k to the kiddies. PLUR the promoter trying to make a quick buck. PLUR the raver not knowing you outside the party. Why can't we ever turn our words into actions?
/rant

Don't think this is my only view on the scene, heck know I pretty sure when I look back i'll consider these days some of the best and will never have given them up for anything. But you can't deny that it doesn't happen.

"...It only takes one blast and that ass will be...wrecked...ruined...damaged...ripped, cross my path ya ass and get whipped"

psychichigh

Canada
53 posts

2 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/12/06 :  11:30:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit psychichigh's homepage
I have to agree...
Alot of the PLUR is from the drugs and whatnot.
But I would also have to disagree...
What about those of us that are sober that still remember those after we left the party, those that uphold PLUR without taking drugs. I'm one of the sober ravers, and I love being sober, even though I once in a while pop a pill...
I have to admit though, I LOVE going to raves. I wear alot of kandi, and I hope more soon, and even though I get called a freak on the street but the parents that don't know me, or the people that don't respect ravers, but I work in a work where I dress like a kandi-kid (REALLY big pants, kandi, dyed hair, ect.) and they don't bother me about it, and there's ussually 2500 patrons going through it that see me and they don't say anything or they say "kewl" to me

Raving to me is about having fun and not caring about the comments that are bad...

-------------------------
"and then god said 'let there be light' and there was, as the druids turned on their flashlights and laughed"

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2001/12/07 :  10:20:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Well its not all bad, I mean we're getting scott brown, hixxy and fenix up for the next system6 (Only regualr raves in brisbane) but its normally pretty dry. I only really have problems with drinkers and general cockmongers at clubs rather than raves.
Its just that system6 is somewhere between a rave and a club and the avg, ppl there think hard house was the first hard electronic music.
Not only that but the only strictly hardcore promoters here are gabberheads who dont even like hhc.

Buuut, when ORACLE arrives all that will change and we will beat the system(6) once and for all....YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/12/07 :  10:23:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
maybe a stupid question is kwel an negative word?

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/12/07 :  13:40:51  Show profile  Send a private message
"kewl" is another way of spelling "cool"

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/12/07 :  21:08:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
Kewl
short word but still spelling it wrong.

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2001/12/07 :  21:50:17  Show profile  Send a private message
Lol, hey, my second jaded post in a row!!! A new record!!!

Ummm... sounds to me like raves are all about doing E then? Cause that's what it sounds like to me....

Buying drugs from random, sketchy people. Guards almost finding your stash. All those bright crazy memories you don't understand.

Ummm... Music came in like 15th on this list. And plur at most parties is all about the drugs, i agree. It's pretty sad. Oh well!!!???!?!?!?

(Soren is now off to another rave to test kids pills and try and save them from those sketchy dealers)

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/12/07 :  22:02:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Soren:

Lol, hey, my second jaded post in a row!!! A new record!!!

Ummm... sounds to me like raves are all about doing E then? Cause that's what it sounds like to me....

Buying drugs from random, sketchy people. Guards almost finding your stash. All those bright crazy memories you don't understand.

Ummm... Music came in like 15th on this list. And plur at most parties is all about the drugs, i agree. It's pretty sad. Oh well!!!???!?!?!?

(Soren is now off to another rave to test kids pills and try and save them from those sketchy dealers)

thats the good work!!!!

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2001/12/08 :  12:44:47  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
That ****in owns...
raves own...
[end]

Cant wait till NYE

ive tried to get other people to go...
when they say... "i dont wanna goto slammin, i wanna do something special on NYE"

There is NOthing more special than raving...

**** shit parties.. **** being at home watching TV.. **** being in the pub

Raves Are the Daddy [end] (again)

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

MC RizlaDizla
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,056 posts
MC RizlaDizla is verified hardcore artist MC RizlaDizla has attended 20 events
Posted - 2001/12/12 :  11:19:35  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit MC RizlaDizla's homepage

Go slammin for NYE is gonna be 1 to remember. Well all of 20 mins anywayz

"Oh my goodness, Oh my Gosh. Here we go with a badboy rush."
"Oh my goodness gracious me, Badboy Dj, Wikkid Mc."

Edited by - MC RizlaDizla on 12 Dec 2001 11:27:38

Katie
Starting Member

United States
4 posts
Posted - 2002/02/06 :  18:11:25  Show profile  Send a private message
That was an awesome topic, i felt like i was back at my first rave again...every word is true..

Whas crackilatin i'm Kt(baby cakes) i love to patry and love to well party........

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.12 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page