Radio listeners 162+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 How to find gigs.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Tastetherainobw Any tips? I'm looking to get a little more seriouse with my mixing, and I want to find some type of income to support my endeavor.

How did your first show go?
How did you prepare?
Thanks in advanced!
Karthy I've never DJed a hardcore event or dance event but basically my first show was at the place I soon after started working as bar staff at :P My Dad DJed there doing private functions and there was a Boxing Night (they hire out a boxing ring and have a tournament for the pikeys). Unfortunately my Dad was DJing somewhere else that night so the manager asked me, was quite honoured actually and while it was just playing background music and the boxers entrance songs it's a start :P

As for how I prepared, got a shower, got dressed nice and smart (since I was technically staff that night I had to get my black shirt out) and scrolled through my music library to find any songs I think will play well. Wrote it all down on a list and then started my nervous breakdown :P All went well though, couldn't play a few of the boxers songs because the CD's they gave me were ****ed (what a surprise...) but it all went smoothly and I came out in one piece :P

Unless you have a reasonable following already I wouldn't expect to start out DJing at hardcore events or dance events, especially not well known ones. Unless you know people obviously :P If the place you live has a decent scene for the music you want to mix then it's gonna be much easier for you but if not then you can always start your own event (although it can be risky) or move away.

I guess it's more about who you know than your talent at mixing unfortunately.
m0nst3r you make a mix...a really good one...Tight mixing etc.

Make it presentable...none of this black sharpie marker on a CD shit..make it look nice it is your work and you should be proud of it. Also if you have soundcloud etc upload it and spread the link around.

Hand it out to local promoters...they're gonna be your best friend if you want a gig, Don't be like "here man here's my CD give me a gig" and don't ass kiss...no one likes ass-kissy Dj's.

and hope you get a gig.

Being active within your scene generally helps too...Be an asset to that promoter...Help promo their parties etc...show them you want it.

also don't think you're gonna make heaps of money out of djing haha

Audio Warfare Making tunes always helps! Gives you something unique. At the very least I'd be scouting for promos of tunes that wouldn't be being played by every Tom, Dick and Harry. Nothing wrong with dropping a few anthems but you need something to make you stand out.

quote:
Originally posted by m0nst3r:
also don't think you're gonna make heaps of money out of djing Hardcore

Fixed. ;) Have made a fair bit playing Cheese/Ska/Reggae etc. over the years. You can get 100 quid easy just for taking some gear down the local pub and playing some tunes. Mobile disco style for birthdays etc. around 200-250 quid.
Breakbeat Jon I remember the first time I played out. Thinking back, I should never have been allowed near the decks in club, lol. Played acid techno in a dingy basement type club, buttons falling off the mixing, the 1210s had seen better days, and as for the monitor speaker, it did a great impression of a long horrible constant distorted fart. I got prepared by sinking a load of beers and throwing some other things down my neck and got completely battered. I've never been the most professional of people, lol.
These days now I tend to get more bookings I tend not to get in a complete state before I play. That first set I planned out the first 45 minutes, something I never did again. I'd say choose your first 2 tunes and go with the crowd from there.
I wouldn't hope for any sort of income, if your just starting do local gigs for free. If you get any further the best you can probably hope for is some money to cover travel and some free beers.
Audio Warfare
quote:
Originally posted by Breakbeat Jon:
buttons falling off the mixing, the 1210s had seen better days, and as for the monitor speaker, it did a great impression of a long horrible constant distorted fart. I got prepared by sinking a load of beers and throwing some other things down my neck and got completely battered. I've never been the most professional of people, lol.

Awesome. The one thing that you never account for when you're learning to mix at home is that 80% of club setups are bloody awful. I had a similar setup the other weekend. One buggered Stanton a buggered Vestax and a bookshelf speaker as a monitor when there is a massive Function 1 sound system blamming out in the other direction. Had to just listen to everything in the headphones, it was useless to attempt anything else.

I'll get battered at free parties and the like when I'm mixing but not at clubs, like to stay on the level then. One or two beers while I'm on the decks then get wasted once I'm done if at all. I remember playing at one free party when I was thankful the decks had been set up next to a wall because I had to prop myself up for most of the set. :P Didn't seem to go too bad considering though heh.
Tastetherainobw Update!!!!

Got a gig playing trance at a local coffee shop's E.D.M night!!!

It took 0.83 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page