Radio listeners 180+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 DAW

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
electrogen What daws does everyone have specifically what software do you use.
Also what software and vst can you reccomend

I use cubase 5 with nexus used to use reason but changed to cubase. Nexus is good too as a rompler.
I only use stock plugins
deathproof627 Well I just got Cubase 6 last week (my first DAW) and right now I'm just working on learning the interface before I get into the whole production aspect of it.

I don't have any other VST's or software but from I've read it seems like the main VST's are as follows: Sylenth1, Zebra, Z3ta, Vangurad, V-Station, Nexus, Massive, Predator, Albino 3, etc. The list goes on forever. There also a bunch of different plug-ins for effects and what not.

I Highly suggest you checkout http://www.hardcoreproducer.org it's full of useful info and really helpful people.
Triquatra Cubase 5 here
AndyFreestyle Still on Cubase 4.5
It works for me so i dont see much point upgrading yet

Also use Ableton Live 8 for some projects

Ive got a Soniccore Scope DSP system so everything gets sub mixed in the DAW then routed out to the Scope environment

Quite a few vsts.. favourites being EMU Emulator X2 sampler and Waldorf Largo at the moment.
Prefer DSP and hardware DSP or Analog synths though :)
Karthy I'm a fruityloops guy :P I have nothing bad to say about other DAW's, never used them... I just like FL Studio because it's what I started with, and have never had a problem with it, so no reason to change.

Personally I went a little VST crazy, tried a bunch of stuff but the only one I really use for sounds it's Nexus (because it's easy and I'm lazy) but I have been trying to make some of my own sounds in Sylenth and Z3ta etc (not very well though)...

I also use Audacity for recording sounds (vocals, instruments, off a microphone) because I don't have a clue how to use Edison! It's a real pain in the arse. I'm looking in to upgrading Audacity though and getting Adobe Audition I think it is, looks much better and it's alot more professional (can also do more in terms of mastering in there after FL)
cruelcore1 FL Studio. I wanted to switch to Ableton as one of my friends recommended me, but FL does absolutely perfect job so I kept up.
DJ_FunDaBounce Cubase 5.5.3 (32-bit) and Reason 4.0.1

...does the trick!

A good synth you might want to try is Genesis on the Computer Music Magazine DVD, if you haven't already. Makes some nice crunchy hardcore stabs!
Sky- FL Studio here. Tried Ableton a few times and it does have some really nice features, but the UI simply ruined it for me as I have used FL Studio since the very beginning.

And really, people who keep telling FL Studio is "a toy" or "a beginner's DAW", they're wrong. It's not the kitchen, but the chef. The same thing with music.

Sorry for going off-topic for a bit, but I just wanted to put it in my post. Just in case.

EDIT: You might want to try out Sylenth1 as synth. It's an amazing VST and can be used for all kind of synths. Whether it are percussive sounds or powerful leads; Sylenth1 does it.
Audio Warfare DAWs: Cubase 5 and FL Studio 10.

Synths: Sylenth 1, V Station, Albino 3, Massive, Peach.
Samplers: Kontact 4, Short Circuit 2.
Romplers: Nexus.
FX etc: Sonalksis SV517 EQ, Glitch, Nasty DLA, Camel Crusher, Blockfish, Spitfish.
Spectrum and Waveform analysers: Voxengo, Smexoscope.
Dain-Ja I've been on Cubase 6 for a month. I had Cubase 3/4/5 before that.
cruelcore1
quote:
Originally posted by Sky-:
FL Studio here. Tried Ableton a few times and it does have some really nice features, but the UI simply ruined it for me as I have used FL Studio since the very beginning.

And really, people who keep telling FL Studio is "a toy" or "a beginner's DAW", they're wrong. It's not the kitchen, but the chef. The same thing with music.

Sorry for going off-topic for a bit, but I just wanted to put it in my post. Just in case.

EDIT: You might want to try out Sylenth1 as synth. It's an amazing VST and can be used for all kind of synths. Whether it are percussive sounds or powerful leads; Sylenth1 does it.

FL Studio is one of the top programs. It's definitely not the beginners' DAW (and I think real "beginners' DAWs" are not a good idea for beginners). Lol, I remember having hard time figuring out what to do there, and what all those weird knobs, tabs and buttons meant. Every pro software are almost identical with their purpose, only having different interface.

P.S. Welcome to the forums, Jim!
Dain-Ja
quote:
Originally posted by cruelcore1:
quote:
Originally posted by Sky-:
FL Studio here. Tried Ableton a few times and it does have some really nice features, but the UI simply ruined it for me as I have used FL Studio since the very beginning.

FL Studio is one of the top programs. It's definitely not the beginners' DAW (and I think real "beginners' DAWs" are not a good idea for beginners). Lol, I remember having hard time figuring out what to do there, and what all those weird knobs, tabs and buttons meant. Every pro software are almost identical with their purpose, only having different interface.

P.S. Welcome to the forums, Jim!

I started on FL Studio and it's perfectly useable for producing decent tunes, but it has fallen pretty far behind Cubase in the past few years IMO.
Sky- @Dain-Ja
FL Studio has the most user-friendly UI in whole DAW-scene. I haven't seen any other DAWs (or just haven't heard of them) which it's UI is easier to use than FL. It's also a matter of taste, of course.

I did hear that when comparing Cubase and FL to it's workflow, some things done in FL takes less than 5 minutes, take 15 minutes of work in Cubase. And that for the exact same result? That's a bit demotivating, actually.

EDIT: @cruelcore1
Thanks, Tibor :D
DJ John Jarvis It all comes down to preference but for me it has to be FL. It is just so quick and easy to throw something together. I've tried most other sequencers but I just can't get used to the track based layout after using FL. It has a pattern based layout where you just make a small pattern of several bars then just click anywhere you want to place an instance of the pattern block instead of all the fiddly cut, paste, loop and you can place them absolutely anywhere in the layout. It also has one of the most easy to use piano rolls. It is geared more towards electronic music sequencing than studio recording where it falls short which is why it is not used in recording studios much. The lower price makes people think it does less when it has all the features you need and you can use VSTs if you want more. There is no clutter, everything you need is right in front of you and easy to use and the results produced are the same as any other DAW. Hooked up to my Virus TI and monitors it makes for a great sounding set up.
Audio Warfare I use FL 10 and Cubase 5 frequently and FL falls short in several areas:

Audio editing - In Cubase you can shape the volume of individual samples throughout their timeline and be a lot more precise with chopping up audio as you can zoom in MUCH closer.

Vocal tuning - Cubase 5 and onwards has Variaudio which makes this a breeze! It can't be done effectively within FL so you will need to use the likes of Melodyne.

Routing - The options for routing in Cubase just plain piss all over FL.

Stock FX - Cubase has better FX units overall. They're still not the best but hey!

Having said all this I prefer working in FL, the workflow suits me a lot better. There is just certain things that it can't quite handle yet and it frustrates me. It is still a very good DAW but needs a bit of work.
Sky-
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
I use FL 10 and Cubase 5 frequently and FL falls short in several areas:

Audio editing - In Cubase you can shape the volume of individual samples throughout their timeline and be a lot more precise with chopping up audio as you can zoom in MUCH closer.

Vocal tuning - Cubase 5 and onwards has Variaudio which makes this a breeze! It can't be done effectively within FL so you will need to use the likes of Melodyne.

Routing - The options for routing in Cubase just plain piss all over FL.

Stock FX - Cubase has better FX units overall. They're still not the best but hey!

Having said all this I prefer working in FL, the workflow suits me a lot better. There is just certain things that it can't quite handle yet and it frustrates me. It is still a very good DAW but needs a bit of work.

I absolutely agree. Another point in FL which pisses me off when working with vocals, is the beatmatching. FL is really bad at calculating and stretching an audio-file to the project's BPM, which mostly results in slow-motion noise (the weird tonal sound if a sound goes really slow) or it stretches it too short which makes the vocals go to fast.
There is a trick for it by editing the audio file's ID3-tags and fill in the right BPM there but it's frustrating and there should be an easier way.

Someone else having problems with plug-ins such as Vanguard as well?

cruelcore1 hate stretching vocals in FL Studio? Why dont just use an external freeware program? Paste 4/4 beat in one channel, make it loop and manually sync. ;)
cruelcore1 BTW does any1 know how the **** I'm suppose to make Nexus properly work with sample rates other than 44100?
Sky- @cruelcore1

Tried that as well, but I couldn't find a switch or button to change the sample rate. Especially when I gave you my track "Stars in your Eyes" for mastering, I were having hard times to get Nexus on a higher sample rate.
SmashingTheSirens I'm on Cubase 5, keep wanting to upgrade though!

Vst's I use are Sylenth (mainly), Nexus (mainly), Cyclops(awesome for bass), Vanguard(every now and then) & that Z3ta (rarely used) thing, but my main ones are Sylenth, Nexus & Cyclops, I also like this old skool one every now and then, trancedrive. I have a decent piano vst too, really nice sounds, can't think of the top of my head what its called though. These are used for my sound making!

For EQ's & mastering I use, T-racks, I have lot of T-racks stuff for when I do bands/guitar, lots of nice tools on that and I also use Izotope, awesome again for EQ's & brightening up things and has some cool limiters etc.

So thats what I use

:-)
TTE
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:within FL so you will need to use the likes of Melodyne.

FL's New Tone does it.

http://www.image-line.com/plugins/Tools/NewTone/
Charger I used Cubase 5 until 1 year ago. Now I'm doing my tracks on a hipster DAW called Sequoia.

Basically, all that matters to me that it is a DAW that fulfills my needs rather than the fancy features or popularity.

The stock plugins by MAGIX in the DAW are pretty decent, low on CPU and does the job for cleaning up my tracks thoroughly. It can double as a pretty neat mastering suite too, and supports hardware FX pretty well.

Here's how the GUI of the DAW looks like:

Mixer:
ceilingtiles REAPER is great! It bridges the gap between Pro Tools and Garageband, without the additional cost of certain tools and plugins that are absent in Pro Tools.
Reaper is my favorite.
Pro Tools for recording samples.
Ableton for putting it all together.
djchexmixer FL Studio here, and recently working heavily with Sylenth1.

quote:

I absolutely agree. Another point in FL which pisses me off when working with vocals, is the beatmatching. FL is really bad at calculating and stretching an audio-file to the project's BPM, which mostly results in slow-motion noise (the weird tonal sound if a sound goes really slow) or it stretches it too short which makes the vocals go to fast.
There is a trick for it by editing the audio file's ID3-tags and fill in the right BPM there but it's frustrating and there should be an easier way.

Someone else having problems with plug-ins such as Vanguard as well?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa, I do most time stretching in Audacity. For short vox FL will do the trick.

It took 1.45 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page