Radio listeners 153+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Awesome movies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
whispering Watched a good movie recently? Post here, preferably with a trailer. (purpose being; finding movies that wouldn't have otherwise found).

Watched Hindsight yesterday, was really really good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ceUMbElg4
swansea247 haven't really watch anygood fils lately but i am looking forward to prometheus...

that and iron sky :D
Samination rofl, that Iron Sky movie reminded me of Gundam... all of them
jenks

One of the best films I've ever seen. Didn't fully appreciate it until I started reading about it a bit though if I'm honest.
_Jay_ The trailer makes it look extremely average, if not actually quite bad - but this is a film of exceptional quality. Saw it a few months ago. Seriously, seriously good.

Hirschi I can recommend Lord of War

Taken

and Lost in Translation
whispering
quote:
Originally posted by swansea247:
haven't really watch anygood fils lately but i am looking forward to prometheus...

that and iron sky :D

I was actually going to make a topic for upcoming movies. Too late now i suppose.

Been actually waiting for both of those to get released. Along with;

Battlship

Doomsday Book

Hunger Games

Gaiking
The Doc Love this film, us Brits always make them seem more real than Hollywood!

whispering
quote:
Originally posted by The Doc:
Love this film, us Brits always make them seem more real than Hollywood!

TBH, for me thats not a good thing :p Disturbing horror/thriller films aren't really my favorites, leaning more towards "entertaining" myself.
Entity
quote:
Originally posted by Hirschi:

and Lost in Translation

I have just watched this (under duress :/)... nope, didn't do anything for me. :(

Lilark I watched 'In my sleep' lastnight, probably the best movie I've ever seen. The plot was so original and unexpected, I'd certainly recommend it.
whispering
quote:
Taken

I wasn't really looking for recommendations per se. As people usually just list their favourite movies, but theres loads of smaller ones that at that time seemed awesome, but weren't something they'll think back to later. Thats why its 'Watched a good movie recently'. But bought Taken today, gonna blame you if it sucks ;)

Anyway, watched Romantic Debtors today. Awesome movie, if you like korean romantic comedies :P
ultraskool I love Jap Movies. Bunraku
Hirschi
quote:
Originally posted by Entity:
quote:

and Lost in Translation
---

I have just watched this (under duress :/)... nope, didn't do anything for me. :(

Sorry to hear that :( The only things that bored me were the weired stuff she did, like arranging sticks and going to a temple. But the very first scene, when the camera pans along her body...that stuck in my mind through the whole movie.
There are a couple more things I'd like to mention why I really like this movie, but this is not a review thread, I don't want to bore anyone (including me) and it's okay, if other people think the movie sucks. That's what I think about "Antichrist"...this one was really disturbing and a film-artist-wankery (IMO)!!

Greetz
Hirschi

swansea247 a new one to add to my list of films to see this year

Ted, Seth Mcfarlane's new film
NSFW bit sweary but funny
Hirschi
quote:
a new one to add to my list of films to see this year

Ted, Seth Mcfarlane's new film
NSFW bit sweary but funny

Even though I like the Thunder song, I'd rather wait for Todd's new movie. ;)
Hirschi I saw Warrior (Great!) and Young Adult (Pretty good!) a couple of days ago.
whispering Been watching a lot of movies, lately. Some good ones too.

Week back watched Traffic. Seen it before, and bought the DVD in 2009 and only now watched it :p
Just finished watching the x amount of time Battle Royal, still as awesome as always.

Also watched a lot of good Korean movies lately:
Sunny dramedy about a group of girls reminiscing of their youth.
Someone Special romantic comedy about a dude who hears hes going to die in 3 years. Second time watching it, truly awesome movie.
Sad Movie the title really says it all.
My Wife is A Gangster the movie that really got my into Korean movies in 2005, still good.
Spring Breeze, A romantic comedy.
My Scary Girl, second time watched it, even better then i remembered. Its a romantic comedy about a teacher and a sweet girl thats a killer.
Entity
quote:
....but i am looking forward to prometheus...

This is the one I'm waiting for. No longer care that it's not the direct 'Alien' prequel it was originally going to be. Hurry up already :(

Back on topic: Just watched 'The Boondock Saints'. The trailer does this no justice. Try and watch the uncut version if you can find it. Yes, that's Ron Jeremy. Yes, that's Billy Connolly with lots of guns. Very funny in places as well. Great film :)

Lilley Boondock Saints is an excellent movie, one of my favourites. Shame the second one was so rubbish, was always going to be, I wouldn't consider it a sequel really.

Hunger games was good, really enjoyed it.
Warnman Boondock Saints? It's the best movies I've ever watched.
_Jay_ Saw Mr. Brooks earlier in the week. Top, top film. Not what you would expect from a film with Kevin Costner and Demi Moore.

It's very dark, it's very well paced, and it's very well acted. Highly recommend it. I would suggest not watching the trailer first. It gives a lot away.

IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780571/?ref_=sr_1

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfbVIFc6t4

whispering I've always liked Kevin Costners movies, so will check it out if come across it.

Good movies recently watched;
Tangled, God Bless America, Flowers of War, Ted, Cop Out and The Spies.

quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
Someone Special romantic comedy about a dude who hears hes going to die in 3 years months. Second time watching it, truly awesome movie.

Watched it again, seriously awesome movie.
latininxtc My favorite one to go back to has always been Pan's Labyrinth. Truly amazing storyline, the graphics are so realistic. And it seems every time you see it there's something different about it that you missed out on it in previous viewings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

More recently, I've seen Wreck-It-Ralph. For a CGI film it is severely jam-packed with a lot of action, and it's nostalgic to see so many video game characters in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87E6N7ToCxs
don_simon3000 probably the best movie has to be "shank - the movie". but that thing is probably not for you folks. however for me, the content could not fit any better
Future_Shock Whilst I havent really seen any outsandingly good films lately, there are some that were interesting:

Bigger.Stronger.Faster: Doco on the use of steroids in professional sports
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1151309/?ref_=sr_1

End of Watch: Very good semi-realistic view of two cops
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1855199/?ref_=sr_1

KnuckleBall: Doco by morgan spurlock (guy that did supersize me) about the knuckleball pitchers in baseball. Was pretty interesting as i knew nothing about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2343601/?ref_=sr_1

Snitch: has the rock in it, but probably the best role i've seen him in. Doesn't play a kick-ass action hero, plays a normal guy caught up in ****ed up circumstances.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0882977/?ref_=sr_1

and some terrible ones:

Spring Breakers: ****ing terrible movie. Saw it because James Franco is in it and he's always good. And he was actually probably the only good part of the film. Genius actor. Terrible ****ing movie. Has a 6 in IMDB. James Franco's portrayal must be five of those six points.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2101441/?ref_=sr_1

Also really want to see the Great Gatsby - has anyone seen? Leo's in it so you know it has to be at least PRETTY good!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343092/?ref_=sr_1

7.5 on IMDB. Looks good.
_Jay_ Saw Oblivion today. Visually it is out of this world. There is a thirty minute period in the middle where it feels like it's going to shit, but it comes good at the end. One of the more enjoyable Sci-Fi films from the last ten years.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483013/?ref_=sr_1
Lilley Watched the Matrix again on Monday. Still such a good movie.
_Jay_ Saw Mud yesterday evening. Good film. Not a spectacular story, but good enough. The main attraction of the film is the chemistry between Mud (a man on the run from the law) and Ellis, a fourteen-year-old kid who tries to help him.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/?ref_=sr_1

quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:
Watched the Matrix again on Monday. Still such a good movie.

Yeah, magnificent film.
TheOneNOnly Watched three Akira Kurosawa films over last week:

And watched the first IP Man movie because it's awesome. This is the 10 person fight scene, over-exaggerated of course:

whispering Watched Cloud Atlas yesterday, thought it was really good.
_Jay_ I saw The Conjuring a couple of weeks ago and I almost shit my pants/left the cinema out of fear.

Genuinely a good horror film. No doubt someone will tell me it's shit, but I thought it was superb.
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
I saw The Conjuring a couple of weeks ago and I almost shit my pants/left the cinema out of fear.

Genuinely a good horror film. No doubt someone will tell me it's shit, but I thought it was superb.

i saw it last friday was decent. Although not as scary as I expected. I haven't been shit scared out of my skin since the first Grudge.

A film NOT to watch: Silver Linings Playbook.

It's nothing but an overcomplicated chick flick. Seriously don't know how the hell it was even nominated for an Oscar last year. The performances were good I will give it to Bradley Cooper and the female lead for playing their psychotic characters.

Oh Life of Pi I thought was really good. The cinematography was brilliant in it. ARgo was good, but not awesome.

Oh and The Great and Powerful Oz to me looked amazing, but the storyline and acting/actors sucked big time. I'll have to see what I'm in the mood to see tonight.
whispering Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Great action movie, highly recommended.
Hirschi
quote:
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

Agreed, but the extended version is even better. It got some extra red stuff ;)

Lilley Jay if you haven't yet watched it, you would love The American. Right up your alley.
_Jay_
quote:
Jay if you haven't yet watched it, you would love The American. Right up your alley.

Yeah I've seen it mate. Good film. Nice off-key kind of atmosphere.
_Jay_

Going out on a massive bender tomorrow, so, Saturday I'm going to need some viewing material. I've decided I'm going to watch Event Horizon.

You know when you're proper fcukin' hungover you sometimes feel really vulnerable and pathetic? Psychologically fragile? Sometimes when that happens I like to freak myself the-fcuk-out by watching unsettling horror films.

Can't fcuking wait.

Lilley
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
A film NOT to watch: Silver Linings Playbook.

'ken oath.
quote:
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

I thought it was meh.
quote:

Going out on a massive bender tomorrow, so, Saturday I'm going to need some viewing material. I've decided I'm going to watch Event Horizon.

I've long wanted to watch that one, never got around to it.

Recently watched Pusher and half of the second before forgetting about finishing it. Properly good movies. I've moved onto reading currently though.

Watched Prometheus not too long ago which was surprisingly good. More scifi than horror, but reminded me to watch Pitch Black again. Apparently there is a third Riddick out now.
_Jay_

Interstellar.

Who's seen it? Talk to me.

Seen if twice at the cinema already. The second time was at the BFI IMAX, which is the biggest screen in the UK.

Samination
quote:

Interstellar.

Seen if twice at the cinema already. The second time was at the BFI IMAX, which is the biggest screen in the UK.

the one at waterloo?

And no I havent seen it yet. The last movie I saw on cinema was Guardian of the Galaxy
whispering Never go to cinemas, so been waiting for Interstellar to come on blu-ray.

Watched Snowpiercer yesterday, absolutely amazing movie.

The Dopeman
quote:

Interstellar.

i want to go see it but the odeon up my way is a complete rippoff so will probz wait till it's released on bluray is it worth watching then?

latininxtc I'll wait till it comes out on Redbox I'm not about to go watch another Matthew McConaughey I'm sick of that douchebag.
_Jay_
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
the one at waterloo?

Yeah man, that's the one.

quote:
I'll wait till it comes out on Redbox I'm not about to go watch another Matthew McConaughey I'm sick of that douchebag.

Ha ha! Not a fan of his mid-career acting revival?

quote:
Originally posted by The Dopeman:
is it worth watching then?

Yeah. It's ridiculously good.

Rodz90 I've seen it.

I need to watch it again, but possibly one of the best films i've seen. It took a couple of days to let it all sink in but it's so good. The soundtrack is also possibly one of the best i've heard in recent years too.
latininxtc
quote:

quote:
I'll wait till it comes out on Redbox I'm not about to go watch another Matthew McConaughey I'm sick of that douchebag.

I liked him in A Time To Kill and Lincoln Lawyer, but his skills as an actor are severely overrated. He lacks depth/range, and there's no way around his accent. He's usually cast as someone from the south because of it lol.

I liked Dallas Buyers Club, but to me it wasn't an Oscar-winning performance. His character was still Matthew McConaughey through and through, and I think the only reason he won it is because he lost all that weight for the role.
_Jay_

Up until a few years ago, I would basically agree. I do think he can act now, though.

Have you seen True Detective?

The drunken scotsman I love a film with a good twist at the end. Orphan is a great example of this. Does anyone have any similar suggestions?
whispering Watched Edge of Tomorrow today, fantastic movie. I really wasn't expecting it to be good. The idea behind it (live same day over and over) is usually used in the shittiest episodes of scifi series.
_Jay_
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
I love a film with a good twist at the end. Orphan is a great example of this. Does anyone have any similar suggestions?

Not a similar type of film really, but Matchstick Men is good for a twist. The Life of David Gale, as well.

quote:
Watched Edge of Tomorrow today, fantastic movie. I really wasn't expecting it to be that good. The idea behind it (live same day over and over) is usually used in the shittiest episodes of scifi series.

I really need to see it. I know it's meant to be unusually good.

The drunken scotsman
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
I love a film with a good twist at the end. Orphan is a great example of this. Does anyone have any similar suggestions?

Not a similar type of film really, but Matchstick Men is good for a twist. The Life of David Gale, as well.

quote:
Watched Edge of Tomorrow today, fantastic movie. I really wasn't expecting it to be that good. The idea behind it (live same day over and over) is usually used in the shittiest episodes of scifi series.

Cheers Jay, will check them out.
Lilley
quote:

quote:

Good movie with a **** off hollywood ending.
Snowpiercer was good.
How to train your dragon 2 was shit.
Wanted to see Gone Girl but will probably have to wait for dvd release.
latininxtc
quote:
quote:

quote:

Gone Girl got crazy good reviews from all of my FB friends, so I will definitely rent that when it comes out on DVD

Snowpiercer was good.
How to train your dragon 2 was shit.
Wanted to see Gone Girl but will probably have to wait for dvd release.

Not sure why comment didn't appear.

Everyone on my facebook page who has seen it has said Gone Girl is really good. I definitely will be renting it once it comes out on Redbox.
whispering
quote:
quote:
quote:

I liked the ending.
_Jay_

Loved the ending.

_Jay_

Re-watched The Illusionist. A very, very good film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443543/?ref_=nv_sr_1

_Jay_

I watched The Nice Guys twice in the space of a few weeks. A really strong comedy that I didn't realise was meant to truly be a comedy. Good, good film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3799694/?ref_=nv_sr_5

I also saw Hell or High Water recently. I'd got myself quite excited about it, but it was mildly disappointing. The end scene was by far the best. There were a couple of touching moments sprinkled throughout the film, but ultimately it fell a bit short. I don't know whether that was to do with the writing, directing, whatever. Probably would have benefited from an opening twenty minutes to set the story up. Pain of losing the mother etc. Illustrating the pain that lead to the decision to commit crimes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582782/

For anyone that likes stuff a bit weird, check out Hallam Foe (from 2007) by the same director. Odd vibes but a good film.

Si Thompson Twin Town (1997)

Si Thompson Duel (1971)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-6A79qTFNg

It took 3.27 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page