Total online 1066
 Radio listeners 150+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 WHY IS ENGLAND GOING AS BRITAIN IN THE OLYMPICS?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
kennedy Sounds like a tactic to beat the US in the medal tally. It's not going to happen. You'll never beat us even with your cheating of merging nations. Why don't we combine with Canada and go under the moniker North America. Because that'[s all England is doing to increase their medal list. As far as I know, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are seperate nations and they compete seperately in the Soccer world cup.
Anyways you English can cheat and merge 4 countries as one. We'll still kick your asses like we do in every global sport. USA!!! USA!!!
swansea247 not bothered really, don't like the olympics :D
wong it's called football, not soccer
Triquatra couldn't care less if I tried
Audio Warfare
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
couldn't care less if I tried

This. I'm looking forward to the Queens Jubilee more. :P
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Sounds like a tactic to beat the US in the medal tally. It's not going to happen. You'll never beat us even with your cheating of merging nations. Why don't we combine with Canada and go under the moniker North America. Because that'[s all England is doing to increase their medal list. As far as I know, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are seperate nations and they compete seperately in the Soccer world cup.
Anyways you English can cheat and merge 3 countries as one. We'll still kick your asses like we do in every global sport. USA!!! USA!!!

You're a ****ing idiot.

It has been that way for as long as I can remember. The reason behind it, I'm not really sure but I do know that the athletes really hate it. It has nothing to do with trying to win in the medal count.
Archefluxx Have you just been born Kennedy?

This thread needs stickying, because never before have I seen such idiocy in my life!
Lilley great first post dude.

They go as one country because Scotland and Wales were never separate countries as much as they like to think they are. They split up for the soccer because there would be riots if they didn't.
Lilley
quote:
Originally posted by Archefluxx:
Have you just been born Kennedy?

This thread needs stickying, because never before have I seen such idiocy in my life!

In fairness to the guy, he's probably the one American who knows the separate parts of the UK.
kennedy It's a nickname.
As far as I know football is another name for Gridiron. It's called soccer. My team is LA Galaxy.

It is about the medal count because England would'nt even make it in the top 15 if they did'nt merge other nations. Even Australia would whip your pastey asses in the medal tally if it was'nt for you guys going under the name Great Britain.
Olympic commitee should make you guys compete seperately.

And what's with the game cricket, who plays a game for 4 days? And the pitcher bowls the ball. Funniest thing I've ever seen dude!! You guys should look at trying baseball.
Audio Warfare F*CK YEAH! Are you going to invade Scotland over it and "liberate" their oil fields? :P

Obvious troll is obvious.
Triquatra yeah I was going to say, surprised at how many people get sucked in
Audio Warfare Indeed. I think everyone just lets their guard down on a Friday as they're thinking of the weekend ahead. :P
swansea247 awww you beat me to saying that
Lilley
quote:
Even Australia would whip your pastey asses in the medal tally if it was'nt for you guys going under the name Great Britain.

For a country where the whole population is that of your largest cities, or three or four british cities, we do pretty decently. Only half of US and roughly even with UK. We completely demolished UK in 04 olympics.

Wow. I'm so switched on when it comes to Olympics I didn't even realise US got beat last time. That must have hurt some precious ego's.

Edit: with the exception of Beijing, it's been quite some time since UK has beaten us on medals. I expect home ground advantage will work well for them this year. Possibly even top 3.
Brian K because the olympics started before the countries were separate. I think people from northern ireland can choose if they want to represent ireland or britain
Archefluxx LA Galaxy?
Glory hunter.

We compete as one because that's how we first registered. We competed at the first Olympics in 1890 something when the whole Kingdom was ruled directly from London, and the countries didnt have the independance they do today.

I imagine we still compete as one because to a lesser extent everywhere is still ruled from London, and its tradition.

I think if England competed alone, we would win less medals, but win them nonetheless. I know that most of the swimming team is English, and combined won 5 of the 6 medals at Beijing. Excluding Chris Hoy, most of he cyclists are English. Rowers the same. We had a very successful equestrian team last time round as well.

We do depend on Scotland Wales and NI for many medals, but we have the right to combine (not merge) and win more!

Nevertheless I would have thought the USA would have been more worried about China. They dominated last time around!
Karthy You're better at global sports? You're shite at football (soccer)... don't follow olympics so I can't comment on that.

As for the nations grouping thing, our government is wank. If I had my way we'd be England, nothing against the scots or welsh but it's just the way it should be. Got nothing to do with giving us an advantage :|
wong global sports as in popular in usa only
wong and canda possibly, so north america only
Smoogie because we are British not English.
Breakbeat Jon
quote:
It's a nickname.
As far as I know football is another name for Gridiron. It's called soccer. My team is LA Galaxy.

It is about the medal count because England would'nt even make it in the top 15 if they did'nt merge other nations. Even Australia would whip your pastey asses in the medal tally if it was'nt for you guys going under the name Great Britain.
Olympic commitee should make you guys compete seperately.

And what's with the game cricket, who plays a game for 4 days? And the pitcher bowls the ball. Funniest thing I've ever seen dude!! You guys should look at trying baseball.

Baseball? You mean rounders for people who need to wear gloves incase they hurt there hands catching the ball? Couldn't care less about the Olympics personally, especially Olympic football. The Olympics is meant to be amateur, something the rest of the world chooses to ignore when it comes to football. I think you guys use the same tactics when it comes to bouncy netball.
How is the MLS? Or give it it's more accurate name 'league for europeans passed there sell by date'.
Lilley for team sports I understand the cutoff is under 21 or under 25.

Good call on the bouncy netball.
redwingz Haha brilliant thread!

In the Winter Olympics, Great Britain is pretty much Scotland. In the Summer Olympics its pretty much England.

As mentioned we have some pretty great cyclists in Cavendish and Wiggins etc.
Our rowers tend to kick everyones arse.
Rebecca Adlington is an awesome swimmer (she won 2 golds in 2008).
Ben Ainslie will once again show the rest of the world how a boat should be sailed and Id expect us to pick up a few more sailing medals.
We have that 400m runner girl who got gold last time.
Keri-Anne Payne will get a gold this time.
We will win medals in boxing.
I reckon we will win gold at football.

As for other points....

The MLS is terrible, its a mix of has-beens and ex English 3rd division rejects. How a league can have a player like Landon Donovan and then another team have a player like Donovan Ricketts who wasnt good enough for League 1 in England is beyond me.

Baseball is worse than terrible.

Bouncy Netball made me laugh. I think it would be so funny if USA with all their superstars dont win the gold in that 1.
Brian K
quote:
Originally posted by redwingz:
Cricket is worse than terrible.

fixed that for ya in all seriousness though I don't have a damn clue what's going on in cricket =P I grew up playing both soccer and baseball and still love both.

yes mls is no where near where I'd like to see it, but damnit it's the best thing I'll get over here until Newcastle comes back over to play some friendlies. =p
redwingz
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
quote:
Cricket is worse than terrible.

fixed that for ya in all seriousness though I don't have a damn clue what's going on in cricket =P I grew up playing both soccer and baseball and still love both.

yes mls is no where near where I'd like to see it, but damnit it's the best thing I'll get over here until Newcastle comes back over to play some friendlies. =p

Haha Im not a cricket fan, its pretty boring really.

I would like to see an MLS Allstars team come over to the UK in the summer and play against a few of our big clubs, players like Landon Donovan are class.

Newcastle are going very well at the moment, Cisse and Ba have been awesome signings for them along with Cabaye and Tiote
Simon I enjoy most sports.

As for Cricket, it's probably the most tactical sport in the world, almost on a par with Chess.
Smoogie I think in the UK we should scrap indevidual teams & just go as one UK team for every sport not just for the Olympics. A British football team will do much better than a single English or Scottish/ Welsh/ Northen Irish team ect as we get a better pool of players and it will stop the silly rivalry.
Breakbeat Jon
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
I think in the UK we should scrap indevidual teams & just go as one UK team for every sport not just for the Olympics. A British football team will do much better than a single English or Scottish/ Welch/ Northen Irish team ect as we get a better pool of players and it will stop the silly rivalry.

as a 'welch' man I say f**k off. We'll keep Gareth Bale away from In-ger-land and wallow in our own football misery thank you very much. Can't see ay Scottish fans wanting the same thing either. Cymru Am Byth.

Lilley Yer. Those welches can fuck off
Breakbeat Jon
quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:
Yer. Those welches can fuck off

I know, we are ****s. Wendyball is a bit rubbish, it's all about the Rugby (Union, not that league ********). Were coming for you Aussies next tour (we'll lose, but give a good fist of it, not play boring kicking rugby like In-ger-land) Valiant defeat, that's what Wales is all about.

wong crickets crap. rugbys crap. and even in football if all home nations joined together full time to create GB, it would be full of english players anyway ( except bale ) and still struggle to qualify for the knockout stages of major tournaments.
Lilley Australia's been terrible at rugby ever since we hosted the world cup. We were rubbish before that too but somehow fluked our way to the final.
jenks
quote:
Sounds like a tactic to beat the US in the medal tally. It's not going to happen. You'll never beat us even with your cheating of merging nations. Why don't we combine with Canada and go under the moniker North America. Because that'[s all England is doing to increase their medal list. As far as I know, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are seperate nations and they compete seperately in the Soccer world cup.
Anyways you English can cheat and merge 4 countries as one. We'll still kick your asses like we do in every global sport. USA!!! USA!!!

I really hope this is some sort of elaborate trolling attempt, and not the painful ignorance it appears to be. "England" never enters the Olympics, Britain does. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all constituent states of the United Kingdom. Just like Texas or Cali are parts of the US. The reason Britain is entering a team this time is because it would be a shame for the hosting country not to field a team in their national sport, that's all. It's a one time deal. Also, the largest global sport is Football, which we "kick your ass" at, while the second largest is Cricket, which we also kick your ass at. Perhaps the reason American culture is so insular is that any peek outside would shatter your flag-waving nationalistic delusions?
Archefluxx
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
crickets crap. rugbys crap. and even in football if all home nations joined together full time to create GB, it would be full of english players anyway ( except bale ) and still struggle to qualify for the knockout stages of major tournaments.

I reckon Darren Fletcher will be in there. Dare say just to be fair David Healy might sneak in and all
kennedy
quote:
Originally posted by Karthy:
You're better at global sports? You're shite at football (soccer)... don't follow olympics so I can't comment on that.

As for the nations grouping thing, our government is wank. If I had my way we'd be England, nothing against the scots or welsh but it's just the way it should be. Got nothing to do with giving us an advantage :|

We can't be that shit at soccer (football), we drew with England in the fifa worldcup in South Africa and were on the same amount of points as England when in the same group. And soccer is'nt even our national sport. I know it's Englands and you drew with us. How funny is that. It's a very new sport here but it's growing and we have a lot of American born players with South American heritage that can play. If you guys were that good you should have flogged us 5 nil.

Actually England have only won the fifa world cup once and it was over 40 years ago. Quite funny considering you have a premier league. And not very impressive when you look at how much money is in the sport there.

As for cricket, we've had our best baseball players trying cricket on youtube and they find it very easy. The cricket bat is actually a lot bigger than a baseball bat so the ball is much easier to hit. If we had a cricket team using our baseballers we'd probably win the world cup for cricket. Except we find cricket to easy slow and plain boring. So there is no point.

I've seen your cricket matches on cable and most of the time the stadiums are half empty. Must be a good game when only half turns up. You never get that with a major league game. We love our sport. Even have hot cheerleaders, to add to the entertainment.
Samination cricket's the 2nd largest sport in the world? what the hell?

I'm more suprised by that, than kennedy hear trying to troll english sports on an japanese website
ponder We have always competed in the Olympics as Great Britain, as that is what our nation is. Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Yes, they are countries in their own right, but they are all under the same sovereignty.

The only reason the Football team is competing as Team GB this time around is because it's being hosted here. The reason they haven't previously is because Wales and Scotland in particular are worried they may lose their identity.

As for kicking our asses in every global sport, I guess you're right. You did beat us 1-1 at the last World Cup after all.

Simon
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
cricket's the 2nd largest sport in the world? what the hell?

It's true, not just Britain and most of the Commonwealth countries that play it, think of India and Pakistan. I believe last years World Cup semi-final between those two countries had viewing figures of over 1 Billion people...

jenks I got all the way through a serious response and then noticed those cricket comments. Deary me. He's either trolling, or so painfully stupid that a reasoned argument won't work.

Archefluxx
quote:
quote:
You're better at global sports? You're shite at football (soccer)... don't follow olympics so I can't comment on that.

We can't be that shit at soccer (football), we drew with England in the fifa worldcup in South Africa and were on the same amount of points as England when in the same group. And soccer is'nt even our national sport. I know it's Englands and you drew with us. How funny is that. It's a very new sport here but it's growing and we have a lot of American born players with South American heritage that can play. If you guys were that good you should have flogged us 5 nil.

Actually England have only won the fifa world cup once and it was over 40 years ago. Quite funny considering you have a premier league. And not very impressive when you look at how much money is in the sport there.

As for cricket, we've had our best baseball players trying cricket on youtube and they find it very easy. The cricket bat is actually a lot bigger than a baseball bat so the ball is much easier to hit. If we had a cricket team using our baseballers we'd probably win the world cup for cricket. Except we find cricket to easy slow and plain boring. So there is no point.

I've seen your cricket matches on cable and most of the time the stadiums are half empty. Must be a good game when only half turns up. You never get that with a major league game. We love our sport. Even have hot cheerleaders, to add to the entertainment.

I recall Man United having a few casual pre-season tours and ripping most of your teams to bits.

England had a bad World Cup, but I'd hardly try and compare the US team to ours lol.

How is Beckham, Angel, Henry, Ljungberg, Robbie Keane, Donnovan, Keller, Abel Xavier, Tainio, Dawkins (Tottenham RESERVE player out on loan)
All Europe has-beens. Old and seeing out their career leeching off you big wages.

I cant say US players roam the Prermier League...
Granted Tim Howard, Brad Friedel and Dempsey do good jobs, but who else is there? Bocanegra hahaha

Jesus. Yep USA's class at football, alright!
Archefluxx
quote:
Originally posted by ponder:
You did beat us 1-1 at the last World Cup after all.

Are you guys so butt-hurt at not winning everything?
World Cup shocker? The fact North Korea managed to score was a shocker.
Even if we lost 2-0 I cant see it being a shock knowing our team. If you actually dominated a match, then maybe we might recognise the USA as a threat haha

redwingz Haha I seriously hope that newspaper page is real because it sums America up for me 'Someone has to win and it has to be us'.

Yes we won the world cup 46 years ago as we were the best in the world, players like Banks, Bobby Charlton, Greaves, Stiles, Moore and Hurst, we had some of the best players in the world. Nowadays I would argue that players arent as passionate about playing for England as they were 40-50 years ago....even 20 years ago as the money and passion is more in club football than ever before.

We have come pretty close to winning 2 world cups since. USA on the otherhand have done quarter finals at best?

That day in the World Cup I knew England wouldnt win. USA were going to treat it as a World Cup final and as bragging rights to get 1 over on us. We are notoriously poor when pre-game pressure is heaped on us and when expectations are so high.

Personally I think we miss players like Gascoigne whos passion was playing for England. How many of todays players would cry on the pitch if they were to get a semi final booking to potentially miss the final?

I can cope with England not winning world cups as long as the players out there show a real passion for the country and give it everything, like the passion Pearce showed scoring that penalty in 96, Ince and Butcher with blood streaming from their heads, Gazza crying and Beckham's redemption against Argentina in 2002.......You just dont see those things from the likes of Barry, Defoe, Cole etc
ponder The irony is that this Kennedy fella seems to think it's funny that England should be great at football because we have the Premier League. If anything, the Premier League (sorry, I'll translate it in to American - EPL) is the reason why England have been so crap in recent years, as the players are all paid huge sums of money to play for their CLUBS, not for their COUNTRY. As such, the passion has gone from the national team, not just from the players, but largely from the support, too.

Certainly I find it difficult to show support to a team full of players who any other week I'd be berating for being utter cocks. If I'm honest, the thought of John Terry lifting the World Cup was a far more terrifying prospect than England getting knocked out.

Team GB actually kind of excites me, as we'll see a more interesting group of players, arguably more passionate, who might actually be able to play as a team, rather than a bunch of egotistical individuals.

As for the cricket thing. Yeah, anyone can smash a cricket ball against a talentless bowler. Let's see one of these baseball heroes slog a 90mph Broad yorker, or some intricate spin from Graeme Swann.

For what it's worth, I went to Yankees game once and thoroughly enjoyed it as an event, but as with a lot of American sports, it's geared more towards sitting down eating food and watching adverts than actual sport.
Warnman England has never won any world cup in history! Continue to celebrate the referee of 66!
Samination
quote:
Yes we won the world cup 46 years ago as we were the best in the world, players like Banks, Bobby Charlton, Greaves, Stiles, Moore and Hurst, we had some of the best players in the world. Nowadays I would argue that players arent as passionate about playing for England as they were 40-50 years ago....even 20 years ago as the money and passion is more in club football than ever before.

Back then player where more loyal to their clubs aswell. How many (of the great players) are that today?
Karthy
quote:
quote:

England is shite, simple. We're always 'the team to look out for' but there's no denying it, were a shit team. As for the premier league, 99% of premier league players aren't from England. I don't follow football that much but this is what I can blatantly see when I DO watch it.
jenks Actually, it's more like 70%. England definitely under-perform in the sport thanks to it being run by dinosaurs, but that was never the issue. The point of contention was the US pwning England at global sports, which in this one at least they clearly don't.
Lilley
quote:

What amuses me is that your football players have to dress up in pads and helmets because they are scared of getting injured. If one of our football players (from any of the three australian football codes) tried that they would be laughed out of the team and told to play with the girls. Hell, our womens teams wear less protection that your football players. Absolute joke.
Archefluxx
quote:
quote:

What amuses me is that your football players have to dress up in pads and helmets because they are scared of getting injured. If one of our football players (from any of the three australian football codes) tried that they would be laughed out of the team and told to play with the girls. Hell, our womens teams wear less protection that your football players. Absolute joke.

Imagine New Zealand Rugby team against any American Football team haha. They'd crap bricks when they'd hear the Hanika (or whatever it's called). It has the fiercest of Rugby teams quaking in their boots (apart from the Welsh team, recently - that was an epic stand-off. I was screaming at the TV in amazement lol)
wong
quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Lilley:
[quote]Originally posted by kennedy:
(apart from the Welsh team, recently - that was an epic stand-off. I was screaming at the TV in amazement lol)

what happened? link plz
v-act
quote:
You'll never beat us even with your cheating of merging nations.

Hahahaha what?!
Ionosphere Population....

United Kingdom (Britain) = 62,041,708

The good old US of A = 309,975,000

....so, Britain has 5 times less people to chose from

and this knob talks of being unfair.
Lilley
quote:
Originally posted by Ionosphere:
Population....

Australia

And we still beat your monkeys asses.
latininxtc
quote:
quote:
quote:

Imagine New Zealand Rugby team against any American Football team haha. They'd crap bricks when they'd hear the Hanika (or whatever it's called). It has the fiercest of Rugby teams quaking in their boots (apart from the Welsh team, recently - that was an epic stand-off. I was screaming at the TV in amazement lol)

have to agree with this haha. after watching rugby, I realized that our football players are pretty much some of the biggest pussies out there. Also I believe that there are more serious injuries in american football than there are in rugby. I like to watch american football every now and then, but I'm starting to get more and more into watching rugby, preferably rugby 7s
Lilley Dunno if you will like it, but watch a bit of afl. It's a bit like ice hockey without sticks, skates and padding. More or less anything goes while the ball is in play.

One of the funny rules in afl is when you are on the ground you have to get rid of the ball. On player had a penalty against him because he didn't let go of the ball when he was knocked out cold. Play then continued.
Archefluxx
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:
quote:

have to agree with this haha. after watching rugby, I realized that our football players are pretty much some of the biggest pussies out there. Also I believe that there are more serious injuries in american football than there are in rugby. I like to watch american football every now and then, but I'm starting to get more and more into watching rugby, preferably rugby 7s

In fairness though, Im fond of some American Football. You do get colossal hits, and some of the runs and shit that players pull is unreal. Saw on youtube players corksrewing over players to avoid tackles - and one player even did a flip over one before going the final yards for a touchdown. WTF!
Ionosphere
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ionosphere:
Population....

Australia

And we still beat your monkeys asses.

yeh, but we're not accusing you of cheating.
Yoko China = 1,338,299,512
India = 1,170,938,000

They got everyone beat by a about a billion or so
Simon It's all about Gaelic Football....
Samination
quote:

In fairness though, Im fond of some American Football. You do get colossal hits, and some of the runs and shit that players pull is unreal. Saw on youtube players corksrewing over players to avoid tackles - and one player even did a flip over one before going the final yards for a touchdown. WTF!

That's because of all the body armour they have on. And that guy who did the flip was slim compared to his peers.
Blackcrow

The eternal Cam Jung Dave neoliberator of the C.P.A, and eternal ruler, of the C.C.R.E, notwithstanding founder of the GREED-E Ideollogy Cam Jung Dave, will be there.
....Is the posh seats.

:-P

You've gotta love GIMP open source image editor.
:-D

It took 3.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page