Radio listeners 167+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Fracus & Darwin - Point Of No Return - The Verdict

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Shades this bad boy dropped on the door step this afternoon

it's great, other than the cheap ass cover
wong i was expecting an in-depth review lol
CDJay Do you mean the packaging? I thought we went *miles* beyond the typical hardcore CD with a silk screened digipack and subtle artwork. Oh well

Still, it's the content that matters! Glad you like it. More incoming

CDJay
Archefluxx The cover is silk coated, not silk screened. Silk screening is something completely different and far more expensive :D

The cover and CD is nice. Better than the average plastic jewel case. Im surprised its received such crude criticism.

My verdict is a positive one. Some fantastic music on there. 100% recommended
Shades lol sorry, i personally dont like digipak cases they damage too easily, saying that some of the best albums are released in digipaks

this isnt a reason not to buy this album!!!!
latininxtc I have to disagree as I have never damaged a digipack CD to the point that I have jewel cases. Personally I prefer them, and it gives it a personal touch imo.
Torpex
quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
other than the cheap ass cover

*kills Shades with fire*
Dys7 Im actually glad to see an album without a skinny chick trying to look sexy for once.
Its a refreshing change.
Shades
quote:
Originally posted by Torpex:

*kills Shades with fire*

for buying the album? lol thanks

HardcoreUnderground Sorry that the album art wasn't to your tastes Shades, we're wise enough to know we will never please all of the people all of the time!

Most importantly though, thanks for supporting us by buying it, and we're glad you like the music! (When it comes down to it, the music is what matters most). More albums coming from our direction soon! :)
djDMS I wouldn't care if it came in a cover made from the skin of dead orphans, i just want a twatting copy!
Samination or a digital copy anyways. I don't care what format it's on, as long as I get good music (and maybe a cover art in at least 1000x1000 .jpg :P)
Torpex
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Torpex:

*kills Shades with fire*

for buying the album? lol thanks

You did a good thing, hence the merciful fiery death!
Janster So, what's the music like?
Shades
quote:
Originally posted by Janster:
So, what's the music like?

it's got everything to offer in different tracks, old skool feel, new age hardcore, supersaw leads, vocal tunes....

just an all round excellent album which is impossible to replace in my car stereo atm

latininxtc for those who have ordered from Zavvi, have they finalized your transactions yet? I'm still waiting for mine to be finalized I guess they don't have their stock in :(
HardcoreUnderground After some long and tedious phonecalls, we've come to the conclusion that if you ordered 'Point Of No Return' from Zavvi, you're probably better off cancelling your order if possible and getting international shipping from HMV instead.

Not sure exactly what the deal is, but it appears Zavvi are out of stock and we don't know when they will have more, so given that the majority of CDs are with HMV (who have been shipping reliably all week) we'd advise that as a quicker and safer option for mail order.
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by HardcoreUnderground:
After some long and tedious phonecalls, we've come to the conclusion that if you ordered 'Point Of No Return' from Zavvi, you're probably better off cancelling your order if possible and getting international shipping from HMV instead.

Not sure exactly what the deal is, but it appears Zavvi are out of stock and we don't know when they will have more, so given that the majority of CDs are with HMV (who have been shipping reliably all week) we'd advise that as a quicker and safer option for mail order.

ugh! well this f**king sucks! Is there any chance that Darwin and/or Fracus can hand-deliver an album to me at HTID In The Sun??? If I order it again I run the risk of it getting here after my trip to Spain, and I was sort of hoping to have it before I leave! I know it's a ridiculous request, but hey it's worth a shot to ask lol
Claxton Having such high standards for Hardcore Underground and of Fracus & Darwin, anything they do is always going to be hard to live up to what came previous.

After listening to the clips for this I wasn't overly optimistic to be honest. However, now I have had chance to listen through the CD in it's entirety im impressed. Although not as much as 'Balancing Act' the album has depth and variety.

'Found a Groove' is track of the album for me. Other notable tracks are: Music Blocks, Snap!, Step Down and Chime.

There are other top track on there too but those stand out.

One majoy gripe though, and I knew I was going to have it bacause the last album was similar. When you have 17 tracks on One CD you are limiting the potential of each track. There is only so much you can do in 3-4 minutes. Its seems like music is squashed onto the album, many tracks not being DJ friendly what so ever.

I would much rather pay more and the tracks be spread over 2 discs.

Overall though, very impressed and I cant wait to collect my Hardcore Underground ep1 CD.

Ps. I've always thought this and I still maintain that Fracus & Darwin's solo material is better than their collabs.

Ps.s. I think they should be seperated on the next HU album again!!
wong
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:

Ps. I've always thought this and I still maintain that Fracus & Darwin's solo material is better than their collabs.

i agree 100%
Vladel I wouldn't mind a listen to be honest but i'm likely to wait until there's a digital release you can preview as i'm pretty jaded when it comes to these two and their names are not enough to make a physical purchase. I will say from the souncloud clips that there's a little too much whip-wap-wop-wop-wip-wop for me.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
I wouldn't mind a listen to be honest but i'm likely to wait until there's a digital release you can preview as i'm pretty jaded when it comes to these two and their names are not enough to make a physical purchase. I will say from the souncloud clips that there's a little too much whip-wap-wop-wop-wip-wop for me.

funny enough, it wouldnt suprise me if i end up buying enough mp3s from the album to such extend that it was cheaper getting the physical copy :P
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
I wouldn't mind a listen to be honest but i'm likely to wait until there's a digital release you can preview as i'm pretty jaded when it comes to these two and their names are not enough to make a physical purchase. I will say from the souncloud clips that there's a little too much whip-wap-wop-wop-wip-wop for me.

funny enough, it wouldnt suprise me if i end up buying enough mp3s from the album to such extend that it was cheaper getting the physical copy :P

you pretty much will. Balancing Act was never released digitally as a bundled discount, just individual tracks. If you like at least half of the songs on there, then it's best that you just buy the album.
lurker
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

you pretty much will. Balancing Act was never released digitally as a bundled discount, just individual tracks. If you like at least half of the songs on there, then it's best that you just buy the album.

I got Balancing Act for $9.99 on iTunes. I'd call that a discount over buying each track individually for 99 cents.
Samination and it's on junodownload for 12.99 pounds (for wave)
Quicksilver I want thiiiis!
MAtRiCks superb album!!

I just listened from A to Z, and didn't want to leave the room. The tracks are nicely varied, and there are some excellent reminders of the good old times with beautiful piano lines.

My favourites: Chime, Hard To Find, Standing In The Rain, Got The Rythm, Found A Groove.

Thank you! I wish we had more proper artist albums from Hardcore acts, I like encouraging a specific artist and enjoying their material in that format.
latininxtc Well I was gonna come home today and cancel my order from Zaavi, but they are just now charging me and shipping me for it lol. I was gonna ask Audioware to bring a copy to me while in Spain and I'll pay him back for him. Fat chance I'll be getting this album before I leave for HTID In The Sun, and probably Thumpa's album as well.
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by MAtRiCks:
Thank you! I wish we had more proper artist albums from Hardcore acts, I like encouraging a specific artist and enjoying their material in that format.

I think 2012 will probably be a good year, for you.

CDJay
redwingz Picked up my copy from the HMV store in Chester yesterday. Im impressed, only had 1 listen but some real good tracks in there!

On a sidenote, I personally love the packaging.
djDMS Will manage a proper review eventually. But for now i'll just say i'm suitably impressed. Best thing so far for me is that it sounds like an album, not just a collection of tracks. And that i really like!
The Doc
quote:
Originally posted by redwingz:
Picked up my copy from the HMV store in Chester yesterday. Im impressed, only had 1 listen but some real good tracks in there!

Where you from Craig? I'm amazed its in the Chester store, years ago I could get loads of Hardcore CD's from there, but now your lucky to find the dance section!
CDJay HMV support for this release, although still not at a "every store has a copy" level, has been the best we've ever seen.

It was actually front-of-store under the "HMV Recommends" section in a few locations!

This is kind of a big deal for the genre, especially with projects to follow......

CDJay
redwingz
quote:
Originally posted by The Doc:
quote:
Originally posted by redwingz:
Picked up my copy from the HMV store in Chester yesterday. Im impressed, only had 1 listen but some real good tracks in there!

Where you from Craig? I'm amazed its in the Chester store, years ago I could get loads of Hardcore CD's from there, but now your lucky to find the dance section!

Im from Bolton but I was in Chester for the weekend so thought Id nip in HMV to see if they had it. Picked up the new Hospitality DnB album too.
The dance section is upstairs, right in the back right hand corner haha. there was 2 copies of which I bought 1 :)
latininxtc Hey guys. Sorry CDJay for the late feedback on this been busy preparing for HTID In The Sun. Currently at a local cafe in Madrid before I head back to the airport.

I'll come back to fill in more but for the most part I want to point out that the 2 tracks that stand out for me are Music Blocks and Hard To Find.

I think that Music Blocks is one of the most brilliant tracks ever made by Darwin & Fracus. It's not a traditional hardcore track, hell most of y'all wouldn't even consider it anywhere near hardcore, but it is definitely a track that was intelligently made. Lately it's hard for a non-vocal track to get as much attention as the overly vocal ones in hardcore, but I think Music Blocks is a track that I think would catch the interest of those who don't normally listen to the lesser known sides of EDM. It's one of the ones that constantly gets repeated on my phone.

With that said, Hard To Find has got to be my favorite from the album. It's so catchy, so positive, it reminds me of earlier hardcore that always left you with a good feeling. It's brilliantly done, and definitely sounds like something that wasn't just done randomly. And if you don't like it just because there is a male vocal on it, then get over yourselves. Seriously this sexism in hardcore vocals needs to stop. I get real tired when people such as wharped only have male vocals as an excuse not to like it. Sure female vocals are somewhat the tradition in hardcore tracks, but come on that's unfair. This track is very professionally done, the vocals are average but not terrible. It's one of, if not, the strongest tracks on the album.
Vladel Is this ever getting a digital release? I have listened to the previews and there's a couple of decent tracks that don't warrant a purchase of the full album from my point of view.
Shades
quote:
Is this ever getting a digital release? I have listened to the previews and there's a couple of decent tracks that don't warrant a purchase of the full album from my point of view.

it's like 7 quid.....

Vladel there's electro core on there and i flat out refuse to pay for it
Samination Buying an album will only show that there's something on it that buyers like.
Buying as seperate tracks shows what the buyers really want.

I wouldn't mind getting the album on CD. But the probability of a digital release is huge (compared to Thumpa's CDs), I will buy it when it gets one, since I only listen to the music on my computer or walkman/ipod anyways...
Shades ok......

so why can't you convert the CD to wav or mp3? why wait for a digital release?

not making an argument here, but you'll still have the physical cd if the pc crashes or you lose everything...
Samination
quote:
ok......

so why can't you convert the CD to wav or mp3? why wait for a digital release?

not making an argument here, but you'll still have the physical cd if the pc crashes or you lose everything...

and the same could be said about cd's, so you ARE making an argument.

If you think we are unreasonable, try talking my friend, who rather take a buss 30 minutes earlier and wait in the rain for another, instead of taking a buss and wait only 10 minutes in the rain :P

And if I could, I would rather buy the tracks directly from Fracus or Darwin instead.
Hard2Get
quote:
If you think we are unreasonable, try talking my friend, who rather take a buss 30 minutes earlier and wait in the rain for another, instead of taking a buss and wait only 10 minutes in the rain :P

I can't make any sense of that lol, you're going to have to explain it again. Also, since you've made this mistake before: *bus.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:

I can't make any sense of that lol, you're going to have to explain it again. Also, since you've made this mistake before: *bus.

that's because we call it buss in sweden :P
I don't really remember the details, but it was a rainy day, I was staying the night with another friend (not in a kinky way mind you!). This friend in question, wanted to take a bus(!) early to shop, but decided not to shop, but still wanted to take the same bus. We told him take a later bus so he wouldn't have to wait in the rain and cold for a long distance bus to his place. He and I kept arguing why it doesn't work (and I for it will work) and the mate I'm staying at is just laughing his ass of :P
CDJay First off, there almost certainly will be a digital release. It's just a question of when. In the case of Balancing Act it was around 8 months or so later.

Our focus remains physical products, CDs, preferably through brick and mortar stores, so the genre has some presence in the UK. This is increasingly important as the majors abandon first the genre then the format.

Digital is very important, going forward, and we know this. We have a sort-of-digital-only project, a "fun" one (!), which will hit in the next few months.

What I'm seeing here about not "paying" for a specific track or subgenre of track, is..... odd. The whole point of an artist album really is to showcase range and expression. It's almost a given that people will prefer different things, or take different things from it. Indeed individual tastes change; some people may look back on a mix or track and feel completely differently about it down the line for better or for worse. It's also not exactly a new phenomenon since I remember buying *loads* of vinyl for one side only. Or compilation CDs that contained tracks I didn't like, or already had on 20 other Cds, in order to hear new ones.

As for "electrocore"; anyone tagging "Music Blocks" as such and summarily dismissing it is making a written-in-the-sky-huge mistake but to each their own

The digital bundle is very unlikely to be any cheaper than the CD is. Buying individual tracks means that 5 will have cost you more than the CD in most cases.

At typically under 8 pounds, in a far from flooded market, I can't really fathom why anyone even partly interested would be skipping this. I *don't* say this sort of thing for hollow PR; each project feeds the next. We're ramping up a lot this year, there's a load more coming. We've already confirmed the CLSM album which will be announced formally next week and there's a bunch of stuff in close pursuit. Everything we're doing is being lovingly crafted, with a real view to rescuing great tracks from essential oblivion, moving things forward, properly presenting and pushing a genre that needs all the help it can get right now. Yet, each project depends on the last. It's a harsh climate to operate in, which admittedly we're more used to than most, heh, and every single sale makes a measurable difference in our ability to not just operate but operate effectively.

As per, the range of countries from which people are buying and talking about PONR is truly gratifying. So to those who have bought it..... thanks!

CDJay @ Hardcore Underground
Triquatra still haven't bought my copy yet - want to get it from HMV in lancaster, as I think thats our closest one and we're over in morcambe tomorrow so thats nice and close!
Samination ugh. What is it with this "why no buy it?" attitude?
Don't like me for ignoring the CD release? Not my problem to be honest.
If I end up liking the WHOLE album and paying more? Tough luck to me. But it's still MY choice. But I would still pay the SAME amount, if it went to Fracus & Darwin directly.
wong wasn't going to buy it as im usually disappointed with fracus n darwin. went to a friends last night, he persuaded me to have a listen, so i did. loved it, buying it monday.
Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by HardcoreUnderground:
After some long and tedious phonecalls, we've come to the conclusion that if you ordered 'Point Of No Return' from Zavvi, you're probably better off cancelling your order if possible and getting international shipping from HMV instead.

My copy has arrived a couple of days ago and I did order it from Zavvi.
CDJay
quote:
But I would still pay the SAME amount, if it went to Fracus & Darwin directly.

Great in theory. Unfortunately Fracus & Darwin are tied into the HU infrastructure which isn't an evil empire but an ethically driven enterprise we all believe in. We've manufactured "x" units which have been shipped to vendors both high street and online and those we don't sell get sent back and we get charged for it.

quote:
wasn't going to buy it as im usually disappointed with fracus n darwin. went to a friends last night, he persuaded me to have a listen, so i did. loved it, buying it monday.

That's great! Really appreciate it! I hope it brings you much enjoyment, and that we continue to positively surprise

CDJay
CDJay Quickly addressing the Zavvi situ; we basically drove most international orders through them as they delivered reliably and cost effectively on HU5. After a few days and some concerned buyers, we contacted our distro who told us they had massively undersubscribed on orders and weren't compensating. Given the importance of our international audience we obviously panicked and attempted to rectify. Naturally the second we did that Zavvi started shipping.

The whole point of piggybacking our HU compilation infrastructure with artist albums was to bypass the horrors of ever increasing postage costs and less reliable delivery we suffered on Balancing Act (towards the end we lost a *lot* per unit thanks to albums not arriving and postage costs tripling in under 12 months!). I guess there is no ideal solution. heh!

Hopefully the more regularly we release the less issues we will encounter. We've certainly suffered more than our fair share!

CDJay
Samination Zavvi was great when i started using them, but then they started getting slow at updating their stock information, taking forever to ship and such, and is the price worth the wait? usually not

cdjay: and usually how long before they send back the remaining stock? a week, a month?
Vladel I know what you guys are saying but there are literally one or two tracks on that whole thing that interests me so a digital release also makes sense in terms of money.
CDJay Absolutely fair enough, a digital release is certain.

quote:
cdjay: and usually how long before they send back the remaining stock? a week, a month?

There's no way of telling really; we used to sit in the stores for a fairly brief period but either through consistency or as a result of less releases (I'll wager it's both ) our releases seem to stay in store longer. It took HU5 about 2 months to filter out, or thereabouts, so I'd guess around the same. If there's any science to it, though, I'm flunking.

CDJay
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
Absolutely fair enough, a digital release is certain.

quote:

There's no way of telling really; we used to sit in the stores for a fairly brief period but either through consistency or as a result of less releases (I'll wager it's both ) our releases seem to stay in store longer. It took HU5 about 2 months to filter out, or thereabouts, so I'd guess around the same. If there's any science to it, though, I'm flunking.

CDJay

I guess as long as it sells, it stays
wong
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:

quote:
wasn't going to buy it as im usually disappointed with fracus n darwin. went to a friends last night, he persuaded me to have a listen, so i did. loved it, buying it monday.

That's great! Really appreciate it! I hope it brings you much enjoyment, and that we continue to positively surprise

CDJay

just ordered this from play.com :)
Quicksilver Fantastic album. I always love Darwin (in my opinion, a Fracus & Darwin track is _almost_ the same as a solo Darwin track to me, love solo Darwin and Fracus & Darwin but not so much solo Fracus) and there is not much he has done that I don't love or like.

Favourite tunes, in no particular order:

- Turn Back Time: Hugely uplifting.
- Love Comes Back: Lovely lead sound and melody. Really sticks and I keep hearing it in my head when I don't listen to any music.
- Voodoo Magic: Mmm, I love the reggae touch. This track doesn't get enough loving. Has a very nice rhythm and groove to it.
- Music Blocks: Jesus what wonderful melodies. I'm not so fond of the electro-y drop but the rest of the track is bloody amazing.
- Found A Groove: Again, lovely melodies, and a really raspy bass. At first listen I thought the bass ruined the track but I quickly changed my mind. :P

My least faves is probably Yesterday. ^^
wong recieved this today :)

It took 2.95 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page