Radio listeners 160+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 NEW BONKERS ALBUM COMING SOON

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
biggary A new Bonkers album is being released soon.

This came from Sharkey himself on his weekly radio show, Beat 106 Scotland Bonkers Beats.

check out
https://www.facebook.com/Beat106Scotland/photos/a.1355779991238104/1903942823088482/?type=3&theater

Click on the comments
Craig Cairney Great news, but only if it's similar to Bonkers 8. In terms of new music after a lengthy hiatus. Don't want just another best of Bonkers album. But it's nearly 20 years since Bonkers 8, could history be repeating it's self with another resurrection?
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Cairney:
Great news, but only if it's similar to Bonkers 8. In terms of new music after a lengthy hiatus. Don't want just another best of Bonkers album. But it's nearly 20 years since Bonkers 8, could history be repeating it's self with another resurrection?

Exactly, it would just turn into a 24/7, My Direction, All About You rehash album. Surely Hixxy would put some new tunes on it.
Anon. The only thing this new bonkers album will have in common with the old ones is the name bonkers.

Hardcore is dead.
Samination Posting what I did in the "hardcore is dead" thread

quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
I doubt it'll be something aimed at bonkers fans though. I think the main audience for it will be whoever liked Clubland and the current Gammer & Darren Styles. And maybe some who like the Australian HTID or HU at the moment.

LeVzi
quote:
Originally posted by Anon.:
The only thing this new bonkers album will have in common with the old ones is the name bonkers.

Hardcore is dead.

This
Sulphurik
quote:
Great news, but only if it's similar to Bonkers 8. In terms of new music after a lengthy hiatus. Don't want just another best of Bonkers album. But it's nearly 20 years since Bonkers 8, could history be repeating it's self with another resurrection?

Yes wouldn't want another best of Bonkers album. I never did buy the Best of Bonkers album...and on that album - on the Hixxy & Re-Con mix, the track selection could have been better especially with the inclusion of some tracks like some of the harder tracks at the end.

For a new Bonkers album, one mix with 90s and/or 2000s hardcore would be ok.
Sulphurik What's anyone's thoughts for the next Bonkers album?

Can see a Hixxy mix featuring UK hardcore mainstream sound

Maybe a Scott Brown mix

Possibly a Sharkey or Kutski old skool mix featuring 90s and 2000s tracks

Can't see there being a freeform mix - the sub-genre seems extremely quiet. I know Kevin Energy had the album out last year which did feature freeform but not aware of anything else.

LeVzi I hope there isn't a freeform mix, I hope its a 4 era disk. 90's 2000's 2010's and the future.

But also, with the 90s and 2000's etc, they don't play the generic anthems that end up on most CD's.
Samination I hope there's Freeform, but the 1998-2007 kind, and preferbly none of sharkey's past 2004.
Captain Triceps I wouldn't want any old music on there just for the sake of having classics.
Three or four CDs representing different styles. Not just modern UK hardcore and freeform - but the breakbeats, new old skool, modern happy hardcore, bouncy techno (there's not loads of it yet but it's coming) and the rest.
Sulphurik
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
I wouldn't want any old music on there just for the sake of having classics.
Three or four CDs representing different styles. Not just modern UK hardcore and freeform - but the breakbeats, new old skool, modern happy hardcore, bouncy techno (there's not loads of it yet but it's coming) and the rest.

You mention modern UK hardcore and modern happy hardcore, is there a difference? Also new old skool - what style is this you're referring to - would this not be the same as modern happy hardcore?
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
quote:

You mention modern UK hardcore and modern happy hardcore, is there a difference? Also new old skool - what style is this you're referring to - would this not be the same as modern happy hardcore?

It's a bugger with all the different names really, people call different styles by different names and everyone usually ends up explaining what they mean haha!

When I say modern happy hardcore, I mean like reminiscent of the 90s style, bigger kicks and happy uplifting vibes, pianos stabs and vocals but not necessarily designed to literally sound like they were made in the 90s, more to capture the feeling with modern production - that is as opposed to modern UK hardcore by which I suppose I mean the modern stuff that isn't necessarily all pianos, hands in the air etc... honestly I'm a little out of touch with that sound lately so maybe I'm not able to articulate myself very well.

By new old skool I mean the modern produced breakbeat hardcore similar to what you'd hear in the early 90s, before happy hardcore was really a thing. I was going to say like Kniteforce but there is such a wide range of styles on there, but there are so many labels releasing breakbeat hardcore, fast and slow, old sounding and new sounding, some dark, some happy, loads on vinyl - it would be a shame for such a scene to be overlooked, really.

I wasn't really suggesting these all to be separate and distinct subgenres, by the way, more a few examples of different sounds. A lot of people seem to think hardcore only has one sound.

I was talking to Sharkey recently - he is very excited about the new Bonkers and things that are going on - he is keen for all corners of the rave scene to start pulling in the same direction, whether it's slower breakbeats, modern hardcore or fast gabber or whatever, and I really hope all his plans come to fruition - it could be another rave renaissance.
possys2 can you please tell me what labels are still releasing new vinyl? and what sites to buy from?
as ive only been getting vinyl via discogs.
cheers
LeVzi
quote:

There is a massive amount of 90s core that's never been put on a CD, which is why I said they should use some of the lesser known but banging tracks.

But seeing as Hixxy is involved, it will always be the anthems time after time after time. Because it sells.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:

There is a massive amount of 90s core that's never been put on a CD, which is why I said they should use some of the lesser known but banging tracks.

Yeah I see your point, obviously I'd love these to be released digitally and get more exposure but I still don't think great quality yet lesser known 90s tracks are really appropriate for this particular project. There should definitely be more of that stuff though, I expect licencing might be an issue in many cases.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by possys2:
can you please tell me what labels are still releasing new vinyl? and what sites to buy from?
as ive only been getting vinyl via discogs.
cheers

If you mean like modern UK hardcore then unfortunately there is very little being released on vinyl.

But if you want newly made old skool and breakbeat hardcore (and occasionally modern sounding UK hardcore) then Kniteforce is the obvious one along with its sublabels such as Knitebreed, remix Records, KFW, Malice etc, as well as labels such as Second Drop, Lazarus, 4 The Core, Cantina Cuts, Return of the Vibe, Time Tunnel, N4, Sub Code, Millie, Nutty Trax, Hardcore Vinylist, Dead Beat, Demonic Possession, Innercore Project, Rave Radio, Peace On Wax, 4 Jacks, Ruff Cutz, Blueskin Badger, Meditator Music, Straight Up Breakbeat.... and there's heaps more, a constant stream of releases on vinyl every week.

Not to mention the re-presses, often with new remixes too. It's a very exciting time if you're into this style of rave music.

Sulphurik
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's a bugger with all the different names really, people call different styles by different names and everyone usually ends up explaining what they mean haha!

When I say modern happy hardcore, I mean like reminiscent of the 90s style, bigger kicks and happy uplifting vibes, pianos stabs and vocals but not necessarily designed to literally sound like they were made in the 90s, more to capture the feeling with modern production - that is as opposed to modern UK hardcore by which I suppose I mean the modern stuff that isn't necessarily all pianos, hands in the air etc... honestly I'm a little out of touch with that sound lately so maybe I'm not able to articulate myself very well.

By new old skool I mean the modern produced breakbeat hardcore similar to what you'd hear in the early 90s, before happy hardcore was really a thing. I was going to say like Kniteforce but there is such a wide range of styles on there, but there are so many labels releasing breakbeat hardcore, fast and slow, old sounding and new sounding, some dark, some happy, loads on vinyl - it would be a shame for such a scene to be overlooked, really.

I wasn't really suggesting these all to be separate and distinct subgenres, by the way, more a few examples of different sounds. A lot of people seem to think hardcore only has one sound.

I was talking to Sharkey recently - he is very excited about the new Bonkers and things that are going on - he is keen for all corners of the rave scene to start pulling in the same direction, whether it's slower breakbeats, modern hardcore or fast gabber or whatever, and I really hope all his plans come to fruition - it could be another rave renaissance.

Yeah understand what you're saying. Yes you're right there are varying styles around currently - modern happy hardcore as featured in the Happy Hardcore Underground Vol 2 album. Quite a difference in sound of it compared to modern UK hardcore such as what would be on OneSeventy label.

Not familiar with the modern breakbeat style....did like the sound of the breakbeat hardcore style in the 2000s from the likes of CLSM.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Not familiar with the modern breakbeat style....did like the sound of the breakbeat hardcore style in the 2000s from the likes of CLSM.

There's so much of it at the minute. There is still the CLSM-esque stuff you refer to, but the range in styles, tempos, moods, the sheer amount of artists and releases (check the list of labels I posted a few replies back - that is just vinyl, there's more still releasing digital as well!) it's phenomenal at the minute.

possys2 Captain Triceps - Thanks. ill check them labels out, dont mind a bit of breakbeat!
Captain Triceps
quote:
Captain Triceps - Thanks. ill check them labels out, dont mind a bit of breakbeat!

Nice one man :)
Keep an eye out for Paul Bradley's releases (for no other reason than that is my DJ name - that's right - I produce under my real name and use a fake name online - what is that all about?!)
Sulphurik
quote:
quote:

Yes wouldn't want another best of Bonkers album. I never did buy the Best of Bonkers album...and on that album - on the Hixxy & Re-Con mix, the track selection could have been better especially with the inclusion of some tracks like some of the harder tracks at the end.

About the Bonkers 8 album - I did have the original 2002 release but sold it a number of years ago. Very recently bought it again - got the 2004 re-release from Resist. Resist decided to do different artwork, each CD has different coloured artwork and the CDs also compared to original React release. Preferred the original release artwork on the CD cases which was same as to the main album cover.

Not sure if Resist made changes to some of the later album re-releases.
possys2
quote:
quote:
Captain Triceps - Thanks. ill check them labels out, dont mind a bit of breakbeat!

Nice one man :)
Keep an eye out for Paul Bradley's releases (for no other reason than that is my DJ name - that's right - I produce under my real name and use a fake name online - what is that all about?!)

whatever works! yeah ill keep an eye out dude :)
Craigavon raver
quote:
quote:
quote:

About the Bonkers 8 album - I did have the original 2002 release but sold it a number of years ago. Very recently bought it again - got the 2004 re-release from Resist. Resist decided to do different artwork, each CD has different coloured artwork and the CDs also compared to original React release. Preferred the original release artwork on the CD cases which was same as to the main album cover.

Not sure if Resist made changes to some of the later album re-releases.

Yes lad! I rebought bonkers 4 when re-released from resist as my brother ruined my dougal mix on the original (my favourite mix) the artwork was the same but the cd designs were different, they were just all plain colour on the cds, on the original they were like football designs on the cds to go with the cover for the world cup, actually didn't have the bonkers 4 logo at the top of the box either, had the resist catalogue stuff at the top.
Craigavon raver seriously! can't believe it! didn't think i'd prpbably see another bonkers cd again! great news though! buzzing ahaha! the legendary bonkers is back! but what label is releasing it? e.t.c and is there anymore info about it
Sulphurik
quote:
Originally posted by Craigavon raver:
seriously! can't believe it! didn't think i'd prpbably see another bonkers cd again! great news though! buzzing ahaha! the legendary bonkers is back! but what label is releasing it? e.t.c and is there anymore info about it

Yes great to hear there is to be another album! It's been ages since the last one from 2009.

Anyone remember from the first couple of albums in the series was there much Bonkers merchandise available to buy eg. clothing or baseball caps?
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Craigavon raver:
seriously! can't believe it! didn't think i'd prpbably see another bonkers cd again! great news though! buzzing ahaha! the legendary bonkers is back! but what label is releasing it? e.t.c and is there anymore info about it

Yes great to hear there is to be another album! It's been ages since the last one from 2009.

Anyone remember from the first couple of albums in the series was there much Bonkers merchandise available to buy eg. clothing or baseball caps?

I dont recall anything other than the music was available, back in the day. Bonkers evolved into a big brand over its releases, back then it wasnt that big at the start. I dont think ppl really switched onto Studio CD releases tbh, United Dance did the best ones back then imo.
Sulphurik Noticed recently all the early Bonkers (1 to 7) were available to buy on cassette also. Did know the first 3 albums were cassette but hadn't realised the others up to 7 were too.
Archefluxx As much as my heart wants this to be a continuation of the traditional format, my brain hopes this is something considered and sustainable.

If they start pumping out CDs, they will be chasing losses for ever.
ReMax
quote:
Originally posted by Archefluxx:
If they start pumping out CDs, they will be chasing losses for ever.

Would probably be a good idea to do it digitally (preferably with some cool artwork etc) and possibly do a limited physical release for more "hardcore" fans/collectors that would be the best option imo
Craigavon raver So we keep hearing about this new bonkers, but I don't see any evidence to support it! So what is the craic with this then? anyone any more news on it
Mental_Adam the genre theme needs that futuristic approach like they did with volumes 9-11

the music however, maybe could do with abit of a twist with themes of dystopia and cyberpunk right now.

just need to avoid those clubland x-treme themes
Jaybee did this end up going anywhere? i dont keep up with much, sry
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybee:
did this end up going anywhere? i dont keep up with much, sry

no word yet
Samination This album has aged well... just like the Force & Styles one
Sulphurik Check out the Bonkers facebook page for the Bonkers record label update

https://www.facebook.com/Bonkers.Rave
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
quote:
Originally posted by Jaybee:
did this end up going anywhere? i dont keep up with much, sry

no word yet

Sounds like it was all a bunch of horse####. Does not take 2 years to release a hardcore album.

Sulphurik New Joey Riot & Marc Smith track on Bonkers label released 11th October
Vladel
quote:
New Joey Riot & Marc Smith track on Bonkers label released 11th October

At the speed i expect it to be however, it's less bonkers and more mildly silly.

Going by Slowey Riots album i'm expecting it to be utter rubbish.
caloldur
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:

At the speed i expect it to be however, it's less bonkers and more mildly silly.

Yeah looking like its 160 ear rape.
Samination If you ask me, the shortness of the track and that is has vocals is what annoys me more. Mostly because I dont like the original, but I can see myself mix this at 180 or faster... if there's no vocals
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:

I like Joey Riot. But that is the funniest call "Slowey Riot". 😂😂😂😂

He has gone a bit slow in his old age. I really don't understand how so many djs sell out to slower genres when they get older. Kind of insulting to your fansbase.

You are basically admitting you can't keep up anymore.
Craigavon raver There was me hoping for good news when i seen this, but of course not! And yeah seen that bonkers label on facebook, was actually thinking that it was probably the worst marc smith track i've heard! Intrested to hear the toytown remix though
Sulphurik Sound of Silence is just alright, bit disappointing. Some of the kicks are hard in parts, there's the gabba kick section early in the track after intro before first breakdown. I don't have a problem with some hard kicks but just thought for this track some kicks were hard.

It took 1.5 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page