Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 Attempted Government Rave Crackdown Continues
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
MC ADB

United States
89 posts
MC ADB has attended 14 events
Posted - 2002/04/10 :  08:41:32  Show profile Send a private message  Visit MC ADB's homepage
Article on Audio Galaxy concerning the "CLEAN-UP act" (Post #1)

Attempted Government Rave Crackdown Continues

In yet another attempt to crackdown on raves, the House of Representatives is now considering a resolution called the, "Clean, Learn, Educate, Abolish, Neutralize, and Undermine Production (CLEAN-UP) of Methamphetamines Act of 2002."

Sponsored by Rep. Doug Ose of California, who has been an active opponent of raves and methamphetamines as part of the House's Task Force for a Drug Free America, the resolution states: "Whoever knowingly promotes any rave, dance, music, or other entertainment event, that takes place under circumstances where the promoter knows or reasonably ought to know that a controlled substance will be used or distributed in violation of Federal law or the law of the place were the event is held, shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned for not more than nine years, or both."

In short, if a promoter knows, or "reasonably ought to know" that drugs may be used or sold at an event, he or she could face up to nine years in prison.

The Electronic Music Defense and Education Fund opposes this resolution, saying that, if loosely interpreted, it could be applied to, "any well-attended entertainment event whether it be a rave, a concert, a major league sports game, or even a high school dance." Though the title of the act implies that it deals with methamphetamines only, the resolution never mentions any specific drug, meaning the possibility would exist for this act to effect countless events other than raves.

The EM:DEF also fears the resolution could cause promoters to stop allowing drug prevention organizations and harm reduction groups, such as DanceSafe, a non-profit organization that sets up at raves to test ecstasy drugs for contamination and distribute information on such topics as heat stroke, to set up at their events in fear of admitting to prior-knowledge of drug use.

As of now, this legislation is pending. However, it has been introduced to a number of committees and subcommittees in the House and already has 42 co-sponsors.

The rave crackdown is continuing in California as well. A resolution has been introduced in California Assembly that states: "Any local permit granting authority shall notify the local law enforcement agency when it is considering whether or not to grant a permit for a rave party." The resolution would also require the promoter to present evidence that he or she is "sufficiently knowledgeable about illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia."

The resolution defines a "rave party" as any dance event that may be attended by 1,000 people or more.

The EM:DEF also opposes this resolution, saying the wording is just too vague. How, they ask, does this resolution define "evidence," "sufficient knowledge," or even, "drug paraphernalia?" The EMDEF says, "The subjective wording of this bill and the fact that there is no specified formal procedure for the issuance of permits creates a potential for discrimination," against promoters of electronic music and dance events.

This legislation is pending as well; However as the trend towards laws that effectively shut down raves continues in our government, it will not be surprising to see both resolutions pass. What does this mean for the future of raves and electronic music in America? Says the EM:DEF: "This is effecting the ability of our industry's top talent to sign deals with major record labels, to tour through large venues, and generally, to remain competitive in the music business.

MC ADB
Lyrical Engineer
Sonicfury.net

Alert moderator
Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/04/10 :  11:49:01  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
two words

cock
suckers

"ENERGISE"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Alert moderator Go to top of page
evangelion

United States
91 posts
Posted - 2002/04/10 :  20:20:47  Show profile  Send a private message
Thats so stupid

I mean.. its good that the government is concerned with stopping methamphetamine use. But stupid that theyre passing laws to close down parties because of it. People are going to use and sell drugs if the rave happens or not. Kids who use methamphets usually end up at raves because the atmosphere is attractive to them... but if the party doesn't happen theyre still going to find somewhere else to get wasted. It would be nice if the govt would try to stop the problem at the real source.

And what about the HIPPIES?!? Why isnt the govt shutting down their dirty acid festivals?!? HUH!?!?

HappyHardcorePuppies
Starting Member

United States
16 posts
Posted - 2002/04/11 :  00:39:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit HappyHardcorePuppies's homepage
[quote]Originally posted by evangelion:
And what about the HIPPIES?!? Why isnt the govt shutting down their dirty acid festivals?!? HUH!?!? LOL @ Dirty Acid Festivals.........................Good point though:)

Leo

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/04/11 :  05:34:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
US is ****ed up. That is such a generalised directionless law that as evangelion said, it can be applied to anything local authoritys dislike. Its akin to creating a police state and will be a blatant violation of democracy if the bill is passed. I urge all patriotic US ravers to protest this Doug Ose (Sounds remarkably like drug overdose) and his viscious right wing attack on your freedom to dance, rave and take responsibility for your actions. **** THE CLEAN UP!

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Annex has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/04/11 :  05:51:28  Show profile  Send a private message
this is ludicress.... granted i don't do anything, i go to the party to dance
and most parties i've been to are smaller than ones in california i'm sure ;)

but why can't they stop doing this, and start throwing the money into more programs that help ppl do this responsably... n help ppl deal with it if they do something wrong, n so on and so forth
i think groovesafe type programs are for more beneficial than anything else....
the idea of shutting down the rave isn't gonna stop drugs... it'll just mean more end up in differant places.....
it's foolish!

Potatoe

miss-mitzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
608 posts

55 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/02 :  07:42:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit miss-mitzi's homepage
you would not believe the hassle we have ova here
i think it has somethin to do with the government cloaning sheep!!
they want us to stay in an do what they tell us to do

and guess wot?

they aint gonna stop us!!!

keep it hardcore!!!

If computer games effected us as kids, we would all be runnin around in dark rooms munchin magic pills and listenin to repetative music!

Charco
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,979 posts
Charco has attended 4 events
Posted - 2002/05/02 :  08:17:25  Show profile  Send a private message
it makes me angry that everyone assiciates "drugs" with hhc!?!?!?!?!?
what the h3ll is wrong with being happy????
STUPID PPL!!!!!

**Always smile **

freedom to all who believe!!

Go Here: http://www.ionosphere.co.uk or here: http://www.sbthq.net . Happy? You should be!! And of course: My tunes: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=230636&T=6580

miss-mitzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
608 posts

55 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/05/02 :  08:35:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit miss-mitzi's homepage
the government sux
how they justify the amount ov tax they expect us to pay to enjoy ourselves i dont know

if u want my oppinion go underground an **** em!!!!

If computer games effected us as kids, we would all be runnin around in dark rooms munchin magic pills and listenin to repetative music!

o0sameyeam0o

United States
472 posts
Posted - 2002/05/02 :  14:00:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit o0sameyeam0o's homepage
WEAK SAUCE 100% weak sauce, everyone shuld go out ot partys and get high on LIFE and not rush on chemicals found under my sink, lol
respekts

sam

o0:: MaX rEsPeKts ::0o

SAM EYE AM!

[email protected]

AIM: XxhyperbouncexX

www.distortedtrauma.com

Weird Fish

Aruba
437 posts
Posted - 2002/05/03 :  04:27:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Weird Fish's homepage
Americans always say it's the land of the free...never quiet got it...
Cause you can't buy beer till you're 21 or enter a club, they have an age restriction to when
you should have sex, ppl seuing everybody and this too...seems like "boring-land" to me...and the tax
thing would just drive me mad...
I'm feeling that much anger I could just...just...
(to all americans, don't get me wrong, USA is funland as long as these stupid laws don't keep happening)
I don't care if ppl use drugs, everybody knows what to do to their bodies, I don't want to be the one to
tell you how to live your life, I mean it was given to you

And no..we should not run...we fight and win, and gain respect for our freedom to live as
we enjoy our raves...I mean look at the Love Parade, it's still going strong, ravers would
never let it go, I didn't. It's a constant struggle that has to be done, so be brave and keep the spirit alive...

I like the Bass to go BOOM!!!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.59 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page