Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Other web site / radio station announcements
 Moved: DJ Breeze Interview Ahead Of I Love Hard Beats 03/
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Hardbeats HQ
Average Member

United Kingdom
156 posts
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  12:49:06  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Hardbeats HQ's homepage
With his much talked about switch-up in styles and in-turn his hugely anticipated 'new sound filth' set at the best FREE London party 2012 is likely to see (and yes, we're including that it's the year of the Olympics in that estimation!), Mark Breeze is the man on everyone's lips at the moment. We caught up with him ahead of our roadblock I Love Hard Beats event on Feb 3rd at The Lightbox, London, to see what all the recent hype is about:

[A.B] Hi Mark - thanks for taking the time to do the interview! If the crowd at Freeformation were anything to go by, we're expecting the crowd at I Love Hard Beats (ILHB) to be some of the most open-minded ravers the country has to offer! We're very excited about you spinning us a set of the new filthier sound of UK Hardcore; for those not in the know - what can we expect?

[Mark Breeze - MB] New fresh sounding Hardcore is really what I'm about at the moment; for me it's been a little stale and I'm trying to offer something alongside what we already have.

[A.B] We can't wait! Tell us - how & why did you start championing this dirtier new UK sound? What was the turning point?

[MB] I had a remix done by Petruccio & Modulate for last year's Clubland Xtreme Hardcore album of 'You're Shining' and they introduced a few sounds which were very fresh, but the drums were of a typical nature. We spoke and I got the guys onboard with Futureworld and they did a few remixes, but they went into the studio with an idea of doing something different. Modulate remixes a lot of Electro and used his knowledge of that sound to transcribe into Hardcore, and 'Skank in the House' was born.

[A.B] Arguably, there's been some divided opinions about the heavy bassline influences in this new style sound; what's your reaction to these opinions?

[MB] I feel flattered people think a small group of us have that much power to totally change things, but we all know that's a bit silly to think that.
I think people really need to think about the fact that music is for all, and one person's taste is totally different to another's.
We need variation, so let producers do what they feel is right, and let's not just diss styles for your own personal preference.

[A.B] Will Futureworld now concentrate solely on pushing forward this new sound, or is there a wealth of different material yet to come?

[MB] I run Futureworld totally different to 'Breeze': as a DJ I play to a dancefloor and try to push a few boundaries; as a label I try to cater for a scene, so it can be happy, dark, uplifting or bassline - all of it gets covered by Futureworld.

[A.B] You've been nurturing some exciting new talent on Futureworld throughout 2011: who are your 'ones to watch' for 2012?

[MB] Petruccio & Modulate stand out for me, as do Stylus & Audiojunkie.
But I have MC Static doing an artist album, and Michael Scout, who both offer something different, as well as good Hardcore producers like Eufeion & Hoodzie.

[A.B] You've recently started to branch into the Hard Dance market with Modulate doing some well received '150' remixes? How did this come about?

[MB] It's not really been aimed or branched at: we were in the studio and tried to translate what we'd been doing into a remix of 'You're My Angel'. I sent it to Andy Whitby, he loved it, and so we did a remix for him and the Organ Donors: :)

[A.B] Are you planning on trying your hand at any other genres?

[MB] I like as a producer to try my hand at most things, it gives you ideas and ways of making sounds into what you normally produce; if I make a track and it fits a certain style or scene - so be it.

[A.B] In the past you've had two collaborations with the godfather of Freeform, Kevin Energy. We would love to see you write some more acid-led Freeform stuff - any plans to?

[MB] I'd love to have Kevin in and do some more using the new sound, he's not only a legend but a bloody nice chap and pleasure to work with, plus I need more of his extensive knowledge on Logic :)

[A.B] Ah ha! Not the first attempt we've heard to coax him out of retirement, trust us! ;)

OK - for the producers out there - what's your current favourite bit of studio kit?

[MB] Ermm, it changes weekly at the mo: haha - but Massive, FM8, Sylenth and the Vengeance plugins.

[A.B] Nice choices! On the DJing front you're reached a veteran-like status, touring the world spinning Hardcore for 15+ years; what are the 3 things you love about being on the road doing your job, and to balance it out, what are the 3 things you hate?!

[MB] I love the buzz, the crowds, the nice people, seeing faces of people not even looking your way but really going for it to the music. But:. I hate driving to the point my back is not in good condition; I hate crap motorway services with crap coffee! And moody children, who have no life, so sit and hate on forums. :)

[A.B] When you're not writing music or DJing, what do you like to do to unwind in your spare time?

[MB] A lot of people know, for my sins, I am an Ipswich Town season ticket holder: so to let off steam I tend to have a rant over them more often then not. So stay away from me if we lose on a Saturday...

[A.B] OK will do! And finally, if DJ Breeze had a superpower, what would it be?!

[MB] Supertired!! Hahaha!

*Bonus question from Morris Piper*

'Good Moro Mr. Breeze,

My meteorologist tells me that the 3rd of February 2012 is going to be a Breezy night! Do you have any clothing recommendations for the guests at ILHB?'

[MB] Wear a decent coat! :) lol: be prepared:

[A.B] Thanks Mark!

You can catch Mr. Breeze alongside Fracus & Darwin, Cube::Hard, Arkitech, Lost Soul, A.B, Douglas, Endemic, Hyped + many many more @ I Love Hard Beats, The Lightbox, Vauxhall, London on February 3rd! Entry is 100% FREE with an entry code. To get your code please visit the below link:

http://www.facebook.com/hardbeatscollective

Click "like" and go to the I LOVE HARD BEATS tab on the left-hand side, enter your details and get your code! Alternatively submit your details here.

Alert moderator
NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
NekoShuffle has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  13:00:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hardbeats HQ:
But:. I hate driving to the point my back is not in good condition; I hate crap motorway services with crap coffee! And moody children, who have no life, so sit and hate on forums. :)

lol many of those "moody children" are going to ILHB, he should have saved that for a Raver Baby interview or something really. I hope he's grateful we're not the violent types, many other hardcore ravers wouldn't have taken kindly to that comment.

Anyway inb4 shitstorm....let it begin!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - NekoShuffle on 2012/01/19 13:03:11
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  13:01:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Watch out for those moody kids with no life! Not exactly the best way of getting people off your back is it?

I've already said i'm looking forward to hearing the set, hopefully it'll get the reception it deserves.

DJ-Hutchy

United Kingdom
355 posts
DJ-Hutchy has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  13:06:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ-Hutchy's homepage
Nice little interview!!
Good work ;)

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  13:07:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Watch out for those moody kids with no life! Not exactly the best way of getting people off your back is it?

How do we have no life if we're going to raves? Pretty sure the only way you can get the door code for the event is to go online, so he better get used to us 'internet people' because we'll be the majority in attendance lols

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  13:49:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
It's obvious that there are people who are arseholes just for the sake of it (we know a few here), but lumping them all together with those who care enough to have an opinion is just lazy!

That Breeze set sticks out like a sore thumb at what is a predominantly Freeform event, i'm really looking forward to seeing what reception it gets. The general discussion afterwards will either be 'i told you so' or 'i take it all back'!

Breakbeat Jon
Average Member

United Kingdom
223 posts
Breakbeat Jon has attended 4 events
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  13:55:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Breakbeat Jon's homepage
I don't see how Breeze's set sticks out like a sore thumb at a 'freeform' event. Unless freeform now means 'everybody plays the same style'
Reckon it's fits in well, it's more likely to go down better at something like this than a HTID style event where everyone wants vocals and cheesy trance breakdowns.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  14:21:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I only said that because a lot of the tunes still have that identity crisis where they're neither hard nor happy. The full on 'dirty' stuff will fit in well but if CXH8 is anything to go by it's not one thing or the other.

jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,682 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  14:53:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage
quote:

He's right though, isn't he? Critique is fine, hating is just sad.

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  14:56:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jenks:
quote:

I haven't seen a single person on these forums who has 'hated' without critique.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  15:03:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
quote:

too bad all negative critique is considered hating spam

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  15:09:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
Really when it comes down to it we all know the truth behind this is that if the music was good enough they wouldn't have to constantly defend it because it'd speak for itself.

People will talk shit about Gammer and say "he has a big ego" or whatever, but you never hear a person say "his tunes are shit" because nobody would ever take that seriously. I don't like "We Killed The Rave" that much, but I can tell you about the first drop, I can describe the second drop and I can recite Whizzkid's vocal build...like it or not, it's a memorable tune with a lot of energy. The stuff that comes out of Breeze's doors is hollow and baseless, maybe from an engineer's point of view it's well mastered or mixed down well, but the songs themselves are forgettable and shallow.

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  19:01:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
Oh look a head. They photoshopped out the rest of the chin's.

Hating is different to a negative reinforced opinion. Labelling people as haters is an easy way to disregard a whole load of opinions as meaningless.

Edited by - Archefluxx on 2012/01/19 19:16:47
jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,682 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  20:04:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NekoShuffle:
Really when it comes down to it we all know the truth behind this is that if the music was good enough they wouldn't have to constantly defend it because it'd speak for itself.

The exact same thing happened when they introduced all the trancy/eurodance influences. A lot of people bitched an moaned, told them it wasn't hardcore and that it was crap, and ultimately either changed their mind or wandered off. This is no different.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  20:26:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
quote:

The exact same thing happened when they introduced all the trancy/eurodance influences. A lot of people bitched an moaned, told them it wasn't hardcore and that it was crap, and ultimately either changed their mind or wandered off. This is no different.

well i've already accepted dubstepcore in small portion, but just like the trancy hardcore, i can't stand a full mix with only one style, tho I can accept freeform that way

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2012/01/19 :  20:52:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
quote:

"Really when it comes down to it we all know the truth behind this is that if the music was good enough they wouldn't have to constantly defend it because it'd speak for itself."

And trancey hardcore DID speak for itself. You're Shining was an absolute tune, and I'm not even a fan of that particular song. All I hear is "dubcore sucks" and the response is always "THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE SAID LAST TIME".

Well where's the proof? Good music is good music, I'll love a 'dubcore' tune if it's good enough. Where is it? I keep hearing them bang on about how it's the future of the scene and so on, but prove it. Prove to me that this is the future of hardcore, not with quantity and constantly repeating the same shit - but with quality.

As a Happy Hardcore fan I wouldn't have liked the switch to trance hardcore either. But here I am, buying it and DJing it because I think those tunes are good. Where are the good tunes? Speak with your music. I used to be a big fan of electro, I used to like Dubstep, I have love for every other genre inbetween...I'm not closed minded. Speak with the music. Show me this is the future, because I haven't seen any proof of it so far.

Edited by - NekoShuffle on 2012/01/19 20:54:09

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.77 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page