Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Legal Stuff/Copyright
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Comet has donated money to the site Comet has attended 22 events
Posted - 2002/12/23 :  13:30:50  Show profile Send a private message
Ok. Dragalian and I are almost finished with a cover of The Edge by Eiffel 65, and I was wondering what legal issues come up since we used the vocals. I know Scott Brown has used many a samples used by Fatboy Slim and also remixed Blue. Did he go through asking permission and paying royalties?

I just want to know what to do before releasing it. Should I ask or just go on with it since Hardcore (let alone even my music) is so underground. If I get it pressed on vinyl, will I have to pay royalties? Also, how do you copyright a cover of a song? Is there a way?

BTW, If you all want to hear it, listen to Dragalian's show tonight and he'll be playing what we have so far of it. I'll also broadcast it on mine as well! Just go to www.main-sequence.net/djcomet/show.htm for the archive when I'm done, or IM me for the adress!

---
"I'm on my way I'm runniiiiiin', I'm gonna catchu if I can!"

Current Search: DHSS songs

Alert moderator
Nick of Blaze!
Average Member

United Kingdom
196 posts
Nick of Blaze! is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2002/12/23 :  22:42:52  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Nick of Blaze!'s homepage
Hiya bud!

If you use the lyrics and composition of a song (ie you have taken no samples at all from any existing records/recordings etc), you need just the publishers permission. You will then (once you have the permission) own the rights to that version/recording/remix of that song ONLY, depending on the deal with the publisher.

You will never own any publishing rights to any remixes or adaptations to any existing song unless they are offered to you by the owner.

If you take the lyrics/melodies/samples from an existing record and then remix them into something new, you have to aske permission from the the publisher of the song and the owners of those existing recordings you lifted. If they are reasonable and the tune looks massive then they MIGHT let you have a couple of points for getting it going and generating them more money, but for hardcore releases I'd say they wont, it's too small. Copyrights are guarded very fiercely.

As for not bothering with permissions, well that's up to you, but do bear in mind three things. Firstly, if you do get a "Cease and Desist" notice from a copyright owner you have stolen from.... it isn't a nice feeling, especially if it's from EMI or another major. Secondly, no matter what the circumstances, you will have to respond to it and that might have to go through a lawyer (£60 an hour approx) so you'll kiss goodbye to any profits you may have made.

Thirdly, (and I know a few people that this has happened to and they don't realise it probably, but there's been many instances where they could have been really successful, but their reputation precedes them and they never went further forward), you're name will travel as being untrustworthy, and that will follow you throughout the industry if you become successful. As big as it may seem, the actual industry is very small and everyone seems to know everyone or has had connections. May not bother you now, but once tarred with the dishonesty brush, you never get rid of it and if you are really good at it, then that'll be a shame because you wont progress. However you'll progress with those that are thieves too, but then they wont pay you anyway so it doesn't matter!

Sorry to be so blunt but just letting you know, there's the "nice" side and the "crap" side. Permissions are no mystery, just call the people that own the rights, explain you got this great track, and get a peice of paper. Simple.

You could even release your own version of Shooting Star if you want as long as my publisher says its ok !!

Cheers and good luck!

Nick.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
junglist_angel

Belgium
321 posts
Posted - 2002/12/23 :  22:58:01  Show profile  Send a private message
Rules are probably a bit different in the US... Here we have to go to the S.A.B.A.M. But you must be careful coz people in the US sue everyone for anything. Here it's a bit the contrary. We have a very corrupt system and legal issues take years to pass. We need to find a happy medium

Good luck!

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/24 :  09:15:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
Thank's nick for replying! You helped out alot. Now I need to know what to exactly. Should I e-mail them saying this,

"Eiffel 65,

Hello! How are you? Currently a friend and I made a Happy Hardcore cover of The Edge written by you guys. It uses the vocals (a cut part off the beginning of your song. I wanted to ask how to we go about getting permission to release this remix. I'm a starting artist, and REALLY don't plan on making any money off this until awhile. Just before we release it, we really want to get permission from you guys if we use it. If you would like to here what we have so far (almost done) then reply to this e-mail about it, and I will upload it for you and send you the URL. Thank you so much for considering us!

-Alex"

How's that?

---

Schuby

United States
34 posts
Posted - 2002/12/24 :  11:07:37  Show profile  Send a private message
That would probably be all right, unless the Eiffel 65 people are jerks.

-----------------------
It's funny because it happened!

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/12/24 :  12:09:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
Okay. I sent that e-mail to BlissCo. Let's hope they foreward it to Eiffel and I get recognition =]

---

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.06 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page