Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Home audio monitoring
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
grinsystem
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2003/01/16 :  21:29:31  Show profile Send a private message
Im wondering what is the ideal setup(or whats your personal setup) for using home stereo equipment to monitoring your sets.

Currently Im just using a cheap KLH dolby surround reciver with 5 sat. bookshelf speakers plus a sub. The entire setup costed me 199 which isn't bad. Sadly, the reciver is having some issues that I have to take it back to store for a replacement(right channel never plays no matter what speaker, wire, etc. I place into it).

I dont use the system in pro-logic mode, just stereo. This mode does use the subwoofer, but I found it to be quite annoying than helpful. Yup you can feel the floor shake but you cannot tell if the bass drums are lining up very well. At least I cant tell that is.

Im currious would it be better to just go to a 2 channel reciver, that can play just stereo, and uses deccent "big" bookshelves speakers or some passive(non-powered) monitor speakers.

Or save up for 400ish US Dollars for a pair of active monitors, which ditches a reciver entirely.

and one more question- is their a slight delay from the mixer to the reciver? I know in club sound systems that use large amps with pa systems(I dont know the entire set-up, so please dont slam me for this!) they do have like a 1-2 second delay so does this appear in the home systems?

Thanks!

Alert moderator
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/01/17 :  00:17:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
Hiya,

To be honest, using a sub is not a great idea unless it is a really good one. The cheap ones were really designed for sound effects, like explosions and stuff, and all they basically provide is a thud at the right place..... You can't get that decent a sub for less than about £600.

Depending what you are producing for, I personally don't see the need for monitoring in 5.1 (unless you are working in TV/Film/Multimedia, and/or are a platinum selling artist who has just been commisioned to do an all singing all dancing

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
--------------------------
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

Alert moderator Go to top of page
grinsystem
Starting Member

United States
15 posts
Posted - 2003/01/17 :  13:44:39  Show profile  Send a private message
just an update on this- I replaced the reciver and removed the sub from one of the inputs.

Since Im working with small sat speakers, they sound like crap but I do get a nice high mid range. Bass sucks thou...Once I get my paycheck in Im going to look at some more better bookselves that can produce a better range in stereo. Im looking at a pair over at best buy. They are JBL bookselves, pretty large, but the pair is running for 159 since its a open item.

Or..I just will save up for something else! Screw the sound for now!
:)

Anyone know any deccent home audio review sites?

Edited by - grinsystem on 2003/01/17 13:47:45
Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/01/20 :  06:13:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
I don't believe the 1-2 second delay is in the electronics as electricity travels at almost the speed of light... I believe it's in the acoustics, i.e.; all the speakers are facing AWAY from the DJ and sound needs to go across the room, bounce off the wall and come back to him...

hrz_fxpimp

United States
38 posts
hrz_fxpimp has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/01/20 :  10:03:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit hrz_fxpimp's homepage
What I had was a pair of satellites and sub. I had some troubles monitoring when I was spinning. Now I have a JBL EON 15. Im happy with it right now. Mainly beacause I can get it ear height. I can also crank it because my neihbors have yet to complain :> Im going to get another EON sometime this year so I can have something to point out to the crowd for smaller parties

fazza
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,126 posts
fazza has donated money to the site fazza has attended 9 events
Posted - 2003/01/20 :  11:06:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit fazza's homepage
i just got a fat old pair of mission bookshelves! they sound well nice and i can hear everything fine.

"I feel you, i want you, i know your touch is all i need, im waiting you're shining"

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.91 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page