Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Copy protect cd's????????? Help!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
JAM-HAY

Congo, Democractic Republic of the
66 posts
Posted - 2003/01/25 :  23:52:57  Show profile Send a private message
I'm looking to try and copy protect some mixes I'm sticking onto CD. Does anyone know any good ways to do this???
I know you can burn stuff on to data safe media discs and its hard tro copy them but I cant seem to buy them anywhere!
I know you can get some software packages that can copy protect stuff but dont know any of thier names.
Any help?

Alert moderator
atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/01/26 :  00:11:15  Show profile  Send a private message
hmmm... I don't think it's easy to do at all, and TBH it's pretty pointless because all the protection methods (sony and friends) are so easy to hack anyway. It's unavoidable mate . .

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/01/26 :  15:27:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
Help the scene out... don't copy protect...

Dude, I'd encourage people to copy your mix. Gets your name out. The more it's copied, the better you know you are...

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2003/01/26 :  16:44:40  Show profile  Send a private message
i can guess why you want to do this,so that if ppl want a cd they come to you and you know how many's gone out.

impossible to do,all ya need is soundforge,play the cd back and record onto the hard drive. there's your cd,anti copy program rendered useless.

i'd say let ppl copy it and do what they like with it like kaffine said,you can write the title and artist onto the disc so that in some cd players it shows up on the display,no worries there of ppl saying its their demo or anything. swap one of them with a mobile number and you may have ppl contacting you and all.

--------------------------------------------------
"Did you know that eleven plus two is an anagram of twelve plus one?"

DJ Mouse

JAM-HAY

66 posts
Posted - 2003/01/28 :  03:11:49  Show profile  Send a private message
I know it can be done, I recently bought a copied CD off a guy in a market, and tried to make a copy of it in my own PC. My PC rejected the CD. The cds he was using were called data safe media discs, the only thing I can find on them is a web site www.datasafemedia.com. I dont know where you can buy them.
The another method that can be used, is done by creating a dummy track with encrypted information, this is included in your cd prior to burning, I do have a link to some of this info somewhere but I'll need to dig it out.

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/01/28 :  03:21:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
^^ but like DJ Mouse said, just play back the CD through your sound-card and onto your hard-drive, and there's your copy-protection gone. Granted, it's more effort than I'd like to put in, but the conclusion's the same: where there's a will, there's a way.

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/01/28 :  04:29:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
In copy protect cd's, the last track is the copy protect... so all you need
is to hide the last track so the cd-players lazer cant read the last track, and no more copy protection... 4 example you can use a peace of tape to hide it... And i'm talking about Sony music's copy protection...

Skyler

107 posts
Posted - 2003/01/28 :  06:53:14  Show profile  Send a private message
The Datasafe media you refer to is just standard CD media, they have no additional protection in any way, they are just another brand of CD. Like Sony or Memorex...

I'd say the best thing is to announce its your mix at the start and finish of the mix and give contact details like a mob number/email addy.. thats the best way to safeguard it I think. At the end of the day you arent out of pocket if people copy it are you? :)

JAM-HAY

66 posts
Posted - 2003/01/29 :  03:45:42  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by Skyler:
The Datasafe media you refer to is just standard CD media, they have no additional protection in any way, they are just another brand of CD. Like Sony or Memorex...

I'd say the best thing is to announce its your mix at the start and finish of the mix and give contact details like a mob number/email addy.. thats the best way to safeguard it I think. At the end of the day you arent out of pocket if people copy it are you? :)

This is untrue the cd's have holograms printed on the underside (the side the laser burns on to) of the disc. I can only copy them through my soundcard. I've never seen anything like these, the PC just wont read them, yet the play on anything else. I dont know why the music industry dont use them? But they do work! As for my mixes i've my own promotional sample which I include in my mixes, yet (and I'm guilty of it as well) most folk are hearing the cd and just asking that person for a copy, instead of replying to my sample which includes my web ad. e-mail & mobile no.

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/01/29 :  17:09:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
AH! Yes, the disc t@too or t@-2 or whatever. It's a special CD burner you have to buy that will burn a reasonable-sized hologram sort of thing along the outer edge of the CD, at the expense of a whole lot of time. I believe it shaves almost 25 minutes off the usable portion of the CD, and it still isn't foolproof copy protection. It's nifty though...

It also needs hard-to-find, high-contrast CDs which are only approved for low burn speeds. <=/

JAM-HAY

66 posts
Posted - 2003/02/01 :  15:18:04  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by Kaffine:
AH! Yes, the disc t@too or t@-2 or whatever. It's a special CD burner you have to buy that will burn a reasonable-sized hologram sort of thing along the outer edge of the CD, at the expense of a whole lot of time. I believe it shaves almost 25 minutes off the usable portion of the CD, and it still isn't foolproof copy protection. It's nifty though...

It also needs hard-to-find, high-contrast CDs which are only approved for low burn speeds. <=/

I wish I could find the guy who was producing the cds, he was telling me they were discs he had bought and when you burned on to them they were copy protected thereafter. The holograms were stamped 'data safe media' the same make as the cds. Hmmm?

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/01 :  16:59:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
http://www.datasafe-media.com/cdr.htm

Check out the very top item on the list...

I don't know what 'double protection' refers to - maybe copy protection, or maybe just data integrity, but if their PR department uses 'double protection' as freely as trojan's, it probably doesn't work.

brak

United States
28 posts
Posted - 2003/02/13 :  14:55:25  Show profile  Send a private message
to get around the CD's with bad data going around the edge of the CD, just color that null data with a sharpie >:D im sure its nothing to new to most of you.

rezzna

United Kingdom
283 posts
Posted - 2003/02/14 :  07:25:04  Show profile  Send a private message
jus record somone sayin "DJ "woteva"", mess around with it so it sounds like a cool sample but u can still tell what its saying, then put that at the start of every track. itd take sum time but unless u got a name like "DJ John" not many people are gonna pretend its them, an it wouldt make much difference at all to the smoothness of the mix, if you did it right.

an can we get some of these cds? id be interested!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page