Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 What to upgrade first?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Dj Dess

United States
127 posts

110 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  11:17:49  Show profile Send a private message
OK i can actually beat match now :) so now I am thinking in a few months I am gonna need to upgrade something since I am working with TT-1625s here :-P. Anyway what should I invest in first. New Carts? New decks? and if so on decks what should I pick up I hear a second hand pair of technics can be nice for a while. and third should I up grade mixer I am working with a D950 only problem is....If I upgrade I want to go to a PPD01 which is around 400$ :-/ anyway if anyone could help me out here I would appreciate it.
Also since this is gear talk a quick question about records. Is there a way to clean them. None of mine are playing bad... I would just like to keep them in good shape any way Thanks in Advance

"THEY'RE.....THEY'RE...COM....THEY'RE...COMI....THEY'RE...COMING!!!!!!"

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  12:31:17  Show profile  Send a private message
i'd buy new decks, if you can wait i'd get new mk5s

"we'll delete the weak"

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dj Dess

United States
127 posts

110 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  12:56:49  Show profile  Send a private message
Well I would wait but I dunno in the next 2 months how well these TT-1625s are gonna last me I am giving em more and more wear every week so what should i get a second hand pair of SL-1200s? or is it worth investing in some better ones?

Raver_Davie

United Kingdom
281 posts
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  14:06:47  Show profile  Send a private message
From what I've seen and heard it appears that Technics' days are over! Have you seen what most of the Vestax and Numark turntables can do?

Dave!

silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  15:34:03  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
^^^^ Hell no, as much as I love Vestax mixers (ohhhh baby) their turntables suck big time.... I even went to Vestax's HQ marketing department and told them that... Their plators are too big and are setup for trick DJ's or hip hop where you dont have to beat mix and just cross real fast between records.

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

CandyAss

United States
471 posts
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  15:45:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CandyAss's homepage
I agree with Silver, there's nothing better then Technics.

As far as upgrading I would say do it this way:
1) Headphones (only thing you'll have with you when/if you play out)
2) Decks...go with Technics, you'll thank yourself for it.
3) Carts - Don't need to spend a lot, but get some decent ones.
4) The last thing you need to upgrade is your mixer. It's important for sound quality, but won't affect your mixing skills too much. I used my Numark until it pretty much died and got a Vestax. It was the last thing I upgraded and now my setup is complete.

CandyAss
Drew
http://www.valence2000.com
http://www.hardcorps.org

Dj Dess

United States
127 posts

110 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  16:06:32  Show profile  Send a private message
What kind of technics should I get and how much would like a second hand pair cost? Also I don't have the greats headphones now but they are pretty decent I figure in a few weeks I'll upgrade to the sony MDR-V700s those are the good ones right? only problem is my brother gave me the ones I have now for christmas and ya know I'd like to use em for at least like 6 months before I get new ones just to let him know i appereciate em :-P plus they are alot better than I thought they would be.... as for carts should I get the intergrated one where you just have to attach to arm or are their ones that are decent that you assemble

saintberry

Australia
358 posts
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  16:23:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit saintberry's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
^^^^ Hell no, as much as I love Vestax mixers (ohhhh baby) their turntables suck big time.... I even went to Vestax's HQ marketing department and told them that... Their plators are too big and are setup for trick DJ's or hip hop where you dont have to beat mix and just cross real fast between records.

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

word word word! i couldnt agree more, for a mix dj you cant beat a 1200...the wow and flutter is just too good to pass up, even the new TX1 dosent hold the beat as well the old skool techie

CandyAss

United States
471 posts
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  20:05:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CandyAss's homepage
As far as the type of Technics it's really whatever if it's in the 1200 series. I have black SL1210 MKIIs myself, but anything is good. MK2s, M3Ds, whatever. I would say a second hand pair would cost at least $600 unless they were in really bad shape.

Good idea with the headphones. I have the V700s, but I would just use the headphones you have now until they bust if they're decent. You can consider yourself already upgraded with that.

There are plenty of good carts that attach to the headshell, especially Shures. I have Stanton Trackmaster IIs, which attach straight to the tonearm, but there's also many other good carts from Stanton, as well as from Ortofon, Shure, etc.

CandyAss
Drew
http://www.valence2000.com

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  20:53:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
I would save up and get a pair of new Technics. I've heard a lot of people complain about the MK3's, so maybe stick with the MK2's.
If you must buy used decks, make sure you inspect them beforehand. Insist that you be given some time to "play" with them. Check the start/stop action, pitch accuracy, and all connections on the tone arm. With a little shopping around, you can get a set of decks that will last you for a long time. I recently sold a pair of technics 1200 MK2's for $500.

As far as carts go, It's really a matter of what you prefer. I've always used the Ortofon DJ series (the blue ones).

You should be able to buy a record cleaning kit at any shop.

Hope that helps!

saintberry

Australia
358 posts
Posted - 2003/02/25 :  21:46:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit saintberry's homepage
no no, get shure whitlelabels mmm mmm mmmm SHEXY!

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/26 :  09:18:55  Show profile  Send a private message
I love my vestax :'(

I think personally a lot of this comes from the fact u guys have grown up on techies, I haven't. I love the vestax more than the technics I've used.

seems I'm in the minority :'(

tommo
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,233 posts
Posted - 2003/02/26 :  09:28:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tommo's homepage
Dont worry Atomic,its all a matter of personal preferance.

Im just a bassline addict
Im just a hardcore addict
Im just a dancefloor manic
Why o why cant you just accept it.

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/02/26 :  09:32:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage
I've used the Vestax decks a few times. I agree with silver, the platter is too big. When mixing and I need to slow down a record a tad, I am used to just "pulling" on the side of the platter a bit. This did not seem to work well on the Vestax.
But, as previously stated, I "grew up" with the Techies.

atomicb
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts

60 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/26 :  09:39:29  Show profile  Send a private message
hehe, thanks guys, I'm not trying to start any arguents, just seems they were getting a complete pasting :S

and the platter thing, yeah did get me at first, but well I adapted and love 'em :D hehe

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2003/02/26 :  10:36:38  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
depends what you're doing, if its' recording getting needles and mixer might be the best things because of audio quality, if its playing out then get the headphones and techs, or if ur just working on ur bedroom set up then techs first

is there any word on when those mk5's are coming out?

"Everybody... rock, rock on.. "

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.86 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page