Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 New Transcend album
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
A.B

United Kingdom
70 posts
Posted - 2018/09/07 :  13:26:11  Show profile Send a private message
Alright guys.

I'll refrain from making this a 'spammy' post in the hope it can remain in this forum (like some other album discussions!) and not die a death over on the releases forum ha (please mods!) So no links, but it's pretty obvious where to go to get it I hope ;)

Not sure how may of you are following the modern freeform stuff but there is a new album out today by Transcend. It's pretty trance-orientated but there's also a great vocal freeform track on there which is a refreshing break from the norm IMO. The whole album has had really really great mastering done by Jon Doe too. Clips are still going up daily but please check out the playlist on Soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/staminarecords/sets/transcend-physical

And I welcome any discussion about the tracks or even freeform in general on this post, so it's not a 'BUY BUY BUY' type post, and more of a discussion on what you like/don't like about the album/label/format/artwork/whatver! :-)

Cheers!

Alert moderator

Edited by - A.B on 2018/09/07 13:27:10
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2018/09/07 :  15:02:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
I honestly have zero interest in new Freeform these days because the music has become pretty unappealing to me, but I know how talented Transcend is so will definitely have a listen, see if the album can change my opinion.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
A.B

United Kingdom
70 posts
Posted - 2018/09/07 :  17:46:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit A.B's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
I honestly have zero interest in new Freeform these days because the music has become pretty unappealing to me, but I know how talented Transcend is so will definitely have a listen, see if the album can change my opinion.

Shame to hear that. Out of interest - when did you stop paying attention to it? I think musically it's a high point again tbh, despite not being supported at any major (UK-based) hardcore events. Do check out the album - if anyone can change your mind, Transcend can (I hope)! :D

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2018/09/07 :  18:53:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by A.B:
quote:

Shame to hear that. Out of interest - when did you stop paying attention to it? I think musically it's a high point again tbh, despite not being supported at any major (UK-based) hardcore events. Do check out the album - if anyone can change your mind, Transcend can (I hope)! :D

About the time I started enjoying it ;)

haha on the real though, I don't think he likes the psy sounding freeform. seen great responses to it in the states though.

DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/09/07 :  19:05:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage
Freeform sure has changed a lot.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2018/09/07 :  20:56:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Oh I really can't abide the psy influenced stuff.

Anything that sounds like so.ebody throwing a drum kit down a flight of stairs is an instant turn off.

It's definitely been a few years since I had a decent interest, will pay more attention again, see where it leads

A.B

United Kingdom
70 posts
Posted - 2018/09/10 :  19:24:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit A.B's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJIntensity:
Freeform sure has changed a lot.

It's strange, to me it's not that changed that much, but maybe that's because I'm quite involved with it still. Seems more like a gradual slow change my end, 'spose it's different if you dip in and out of it!

quote:
Anything that sounds like so.ebody throwing a drum kit down a flight of stairs is an instant turn off.

I'm not sure any freeform or psytrance sounds like that does it? haha. Won't lie there is still a huge amount of rolling bassline/psy kinda stuff, so maybe it's still not for you. Having said that the K-complex type sound has been making a bit of a resurgence recently thanks in part to the David from the Digital Commandos, so if that era of freeform was your jam, might be worth searching them out!

In fact - I totally forgot to drop news in this forum but I rebooted the Stamina podcast as 'Stamina Radio'. Goes out without fail (so far!) at the end of every month with a different person hosting. Could be a good/neat way to catch up on all the flavours of freeform currently about. All the shows can be downloaded via iTunes... or Soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/staminarecords/sets/stamina-records-radio

Edited by - A.B on 2018/09/10 19:26:03
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2018/09/10 :  20:31:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
Freeform is barely recogniseable from 2011 when it started going down hill. Now and again i'll hear a good track or something a bit retro comes out but for the most part, it's dead to me and i don't want that.

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2018/09/11 :  23:24:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
A really great album! Overall I think I like this one more than the last one, especially the vocal track.

quote:
The whole album has had really really great mastering done by Jon Doe too.

I'm not so sure about this. It sounds squashed in loudness war fashion, and I'm not generally the biggest fan of Jon Doe's mastering. By chance, did you do properly loudness matched comparisons of before and after?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2018/09/12 :  07:59:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Hm, this should definitly be up my alley, but yea, Im leaning towards that DMS said, it gets to psytrancy. That should've been left to the more FiNRG like stuff than "normal" Freeform.

I'll see if I can buy this one aswell, since I bought the last one.

If K Complexy or Digital Commando stuff are making a resurgance, than that would be more up my alley :)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2018/09/12 08:01:00
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2018/09/12 :  08:02:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
A really great album! Overall I think I like this one more than the last one, especially the vocal track.

quote:
The whole album has had really really great mastering done by Jon Doe too.

I'm not so sure about this. It sounds squashed in loudness war fashion, and I'm not generally the biggest fan of Jon Doe's mastering. By chance, did you do properly loudness matched comparisons of before and after?

Loudness is definitly a thing again... Most of HU's stuff are to the max and it annoys me aswell

A.B

United Kingdom
70 posts
Posted - 2018/09/13 :  08:17:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit A.B's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:

Really great that you're enjoying the album :-) But I am a little puzzled by this comment. This album is not loud at all? I am not one bit invested in the loudness war that hardcore has been in for so long, *especially* with artist albums. They are left deliberately dynamic. The Stamina digital stuff is a smidge louder but anything that's an artist album, on disc, is done to trance standards. Of course we compared; both James & I went back and forth on masters. In fact, this was the 3rd set of masters that we settled on that left the top end open, clear, and undecimated. The tracks are around the -7/-8 RMS range. What are you using to measure their power?

Edited by - A.B on 2018/09/13 08:17:48
DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/09/13 :  08:43:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage
I need check this out.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2018/09/13 :  10:14:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Isn't -7/8RMS quite high?

A.B

United Kingdom
70 posts
Posted - 2018/09/13 :  20:49:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit A.B's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Isn't -7/8RMS quite high?

In electronic music, no.

DJIntensity

Australia
447 posts
Posted - 2018/09/14 :  07:10:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJIntensity's homepage
Great album it?s been a long while since I heard Transcend music.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page