Radio listeners 184+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Is the rave scene "dead?"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Icewind Or at least dying? I've read many articles and forums, and it seems that many of the people involved with the scene in the 90's believe that it is dead. I'm not sure about any of you guys, but personally, I live in Toronto, Canada, and I missed the 90's era of rave due to being born in 89. There are still parties that happen down here, maybe 1 to 2, every month or every other month which I try to attend. The vibes are pretty good, but then again, I have nothing to compare it to. Were the 90's raves really that much better?

From all the videos I've watched of early 90's raves, it does seem like that time was really the golden era of the scene. What are your thoughts on this? I'm aware a lot of the posters on this board are from the UK, generally. How is the scene in your area?
wong Well seeing as there are still lots of raves still happening ..... id say not. If anything its getting stronger (imo)

But like you i wish i could of experienced the old skool raves. Im extremely dissapointed with my mum for not giving birth to me 10 years earlier.
_Jay_

I'll elaborate tomorrow, but I can assure you that it is definitely not dead.

djchexmixer
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
Well seeing as there are still lots of raves still happening ..... id say not. If anything its getting stronger (imo)

Agreed.

Definitely seems bigger and stronger to me here in the states. Electronic music blew up over the years and these events are huge. The large stadium in downtown Los Angeles (Staples Center) where the local sports teams play had an Avicii concert there not too long ago.

Friends of mine that thought it was mysterious and different that I went to raves are now going. It's the "in" thing to do if you're in college.
latininxtc Nah it's obviously not dead, just more commercialized than in the 90s. And I don't listen to the opinions of older ppl who raved in the 90s, because that's all they are, opinions. The majority of them think that rave is "dead" because it's changed to something that they don't like.

There are some aspects that I myself don't like about it, but change is what keeps it running. If nothing had changed, like the music itself, there would be less and less disinterested people in their own genre and those ppl from 10yrs ago would be the only ones still around to support what definitely would have been a dying scene.

People in rave scenes come and go, and not all of them stick around until the day they die. That's not just in raves, that's in any music scene. You gotta change somehow to entice new people to participate in the scene, and maybe even keep some of the older ones around too.

Also I don't consider these large festivals raves really, seeing as how the majority of them play the overly commercialized genres like house and dubstep that already get plenty of exposure in clubs and whatnot. But even these events will feature some of the lesser known genres like UK hardcore, so if they offer that exposure to these genres then it's all for the better.
Icewind
quote:
Originally posted by djchexmixer:
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
Well seeing as there are still lots of raves still happening ..... id say not. If anything its getting stronger (imo)

Agreed.

Definitely seems bigger and stronger to me here in the states. Electronic music blew up over the years and these events are huge. The large stadium in downtown Los Angeles (Staples Center) where the local sports teams play had an Avicii concert there not too long ago.

Friends of mine that thought it was mysterious and different that I went to raves are now going. It's the "in" thing to do if you're in college.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Surely you understand that an avicii concert is not a rave. I'm talking about real raves, not the commercialized club stuff. Where everyone is wearing bright colors, with whistles, plur, dancing til 8am in a warehouse.

In 2000, there was a law passed that made it very hard for raves to take place outside of a club. Before they were being held pretty much anywhere you can think of. Under bridges, abandoned warehouse's etc. Since then the rave scene has been pushed into clubs, although I'm pretty sure this kind of stuff still goes on in, especially in the summer. It's just who you know I guess.

Hard2Get Didn't someone make this very topic a few days ago? The answer is no anyway. If you are asking if 90's raves are dead, then yes. Of course. Because it's not the 90's anymore. Things are very different now. Different scene, different people. But far from dead. It would be worrying if this much time had passed since the 90's with no change.
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Didn't someone make this very topic a few days ago? The answer is no anyway. If you are asking if 90's raves are dead, then yes. Of course. Because it's not the 90's anymore. Things are very different now. Different scene, different people. But far from dead. It would be worrying if this much time had passed since the 90's with no change.

Was pretty much the same concept, but that was more about Hardcore music being dead, not the rave scene in general.

In fact, here's the topic, and it's made by the same guy
http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=62765
Underloop It smells a bit funny, but its definitely not dead!
_Jay_
quote:
Originally posted by Icewind:This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Surely you understand that an avicii concert is not a rave. I'm talking about real raves, not the commercialized club stuff. Where everyone is wearing bright colors, with whistles, plur, dancing til 8am in a warehouse.

An illegal rave and a massive commercial concert are not the only two choices/possibilities/occurrences of what you're talking about. They are just two ends of a very broad spectrum.

I go to small Hardcore and Freeform raves. I still very much consider them 'raves', as opposed to club nights, even though they're not in a field or warehouse. One to two hundred people, in rave attire, going nuts to underground music in a venue with no seating, primitive amenities and lots and lots of good vibes.

There are several of these (that I've described above) each weekend in various areas of the UK.
jenks 90's ravers in 'it's-not-what-it-used-to-be' shocker.
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by jenks:
90's ravers in 'it's-not-what-it-used-to-be' shocker.

Yep, nothing like it used to be.

But for me, in my old age, it's not a bad thing. I did all the big events in the 90's when the scene was at it's 'peak', and i can honestly say they were the golden days of raving.

My 3 or so years absence from the scene from 2000-2003ish (although enforced) meant that when i got back into hardcore it was with a different outlook. I missed the social side of raving more than i did the music. Yes, i did the bigger events (Westfest, HTID etc) but the smaller events became so much more important because it was them that appealed more to me.

Jay got it right earlier. The smaller nights are where it's at right now. They are the nights that are so much closer in spirit, people and atmosphere to the big raves of the 90's. The majority of my closest friends are people i have met through this site and on these nights.

.....or the short answer....

Is it f*** dead!
Audio Warfare If you are talking about proper raves they are still going strong. Pretty much something on every weekend somewhere in the UK. It has gone a bit more low key as police are seizing and destroying sound systems an awful lot these days. I know the French and German scenes are still strong and there is still loads going on right over Europe really.

Here some footage from French Tek this year which is a massive gathering with silly amounts of sound systems. - Most of the UK events I?ve been to in recent times have been single sound systems with just a few hundred people but there are still a few big Teks going on here. I just can?t be arsed with the inevitable police trouble so I avoid.

In terms of Hardcore events over here they still seem to be going strong. Loads of big events, loads of small events. Same with DnB. Hard Dance seems to have taken a dip but it's still around. Few big Hardstyle nights. Some smaller Techno and Breaks events. There's silly amounts on here really.
Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
I know the French and German scenes are still strong and there is still loads going on right over Europe really.

I seriusly wish to know where these raves in my area occur. I only know one regular event that I'd classify as a rave. Some Goas here and there as well although I know in northern Germany there are more possibilties. In Lubeck you have a monthly rave which even plays Happy/UK Hardcore. And there's the Gabber and Hardstyle scene which is huge in western Germany.
And I mean Frankfurt is no unknown location. In common with Berlin they were the German rave capitals. Eye Q Records was founded in my area and had a huge influence to the rave music between 1992 and 1997 and of course the scene.

To be honest I think it's really shocking what people in my area define being a rave - especiall when I get tortured by listening to the music they play today during such "raves". Even in a chill-out area they play better music.
Kebab Head I supose it depends on where in the world you if itsn"dead" or not.... ur in toronto so yesncompared to the uk its pretty much dead lol
Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by Kebab Head:
I supose it depends on where in the world you if itsn"dead" or not.... ur in toronto so yesncompared to the uk its pretty much dead lol

And I thought Toronto was one of the rave capitals in North America...
Kebab Head
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:
quote:
I supose it depends on where in the world you if itsn"dead" or not.... ur in toronto so yesncompared to the uk its pretty much dead lol

but in comparison to the uk it will be dead

latininxtc
quote:
quote:

it is one of the rave "capitals" on this side of the world. Never listen to wilky he doesn't know shit.

the size of the scene isn't as big as it used to be, but it is far from dead. That's the case in many cities in North America. It's predominately led by one promotion company and once they're gone, usually no one is there to take over. Luckily that wasn't the case in Toronto.
Audio Warfare
quote:

I seriusly wish to know where these raves in my area occur. I only know one regular event that I'd classify as a rave. Some Goas here and there as well although I know in northern Germany there are more possibilties. In Lubeck you have a monthly rave which even plays Happy/UK Hardcore. And there's the Gabber and Hardstyle scene which is huge in western Germany.
And I mean Frankfurt is no unknown location. In common with Berlin they were the German rave capitals. Eye Q Records was founded in my area and had a huge influence to the rave music between 1992 and 1997 and of course the scene.

To be honest I think it's really shocking what people in my area define being a rave - especiall when I get tortured by listening to the music they play today during such "raves". Even in a chill-out area they play better music.

My brother goes over to play on a Techno sound system, I'll ask about some details for you next time I see him. The crew came over here a couple of times to play on the local rig, they all seem really nice. It is very much Techno and minimal stuff though, that sort of thing.
Kebab Head
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:

it is one of the rave "capitals" on this side of the world. Never listen to wilky he doesn't know shit.

the size of the scene isn't as big as it used to be, but it is far from dead. That's the case in many cities in North America. It's predominately led by one promotion company and once they're gone, usually no one is there to take over. Luckily that wasn't the case in Toronto.

As I said... compared to the uk its **** all
Torpex https://www.facebook.com/coachfiller

Seems appropriate.
Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
My brother goes over to play on a Techno sound system, I'll ask about some details for you next time I see him. The crew came over here a couple of times to play on the local rig, they all seem really nice. It is very much Techno and minimal stuff though, that sort of thing.

I really appreciate your effort, man! Thanks a lot!
I went to several Techno/Minimal events in my area, because they are currently the most rave-able genres that get played over here. I've also talked to a few DJs and barely anyone is aware about the past of rave music. Barely anyone knows about genres like Happy Hardcore, UK Hardcore, Freeform, Hardtrance, Acid Techno, Progressive House, Hard House, etc. anymore.
I must be getting old, when I start to grumble like this...
Warnman EDIT: shameless double post!

Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by Underloop:
It smells a bit funny, but its definitely not dead!

Long time no speak!
DjZelous Well, i live here in miami and raves are so such thing, only clubs and Electro house music festivals, especially the hardcore scene, its pretty much dead here... sadly, but i do want to start a FM Radio station here playing All kinds of Electronic music (Especially Happy Hardcore
Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
Well, i live here in miami and raves are so such thing, only clubs and Electro house music festivals, especially the hardcore scene, its pretty much dead here... sadly, but i do want to start a FM Radio station here playing All kinds of Electronic music (Especially Happy Hardcore

What happened to 93.1 South Florida's Pure Dance Channel?
I know them from some great Trance mixes.
DjZelous 93.1 is now a rock station :(
warped_candykid My amount of activeness in my local rave scene has greatly decreased over the years. My passion for the scene started to leave when I went to an event by a production that focused on harder genres started by people younger than me, but was told no whistles were allowed because it "annoyed them". The "candy ravers" were only in candy as a fashion statement, not to trade, not to go around and greet people, but to only stay in their cliques as well. This all age attitude greatly dampened my spirits. Now, the promoter himself is an awesome guy, and through him, I've gotten to see many of my favorite artists, but the attitude of the "new way & we're the new ones, so it's our way" just got to me. Back in my home scene (Atlanta), things went downhill as well as dubstep took over and the scene went to trash.

The only events I do now are psytrance events. In my case, that "magic" of the rave scene has faded.
Darts The rave is very much alive
Hard2Get
quote:
Originally posted by Darts:
The rave is very much alive

Daves keeping it captive in his basement.
brodster Where I live it's not really dead but its a little sad. Kids only go to these events for drugs and to hook up. I'm not seeing passion for the music. Yeah Its not dead, just more widespread. There is basically a mainstream and an underground as with most music scenes.
maddkid53 I was just up in Montreal over the weekend, the rave scene up there is alive as can be. Parties going till 8am or later, etc. Lots of psytrance and DnB running rampant. Cant wait to go back soon.
_Jay_
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
Originally posted by Darts:
The rave is very much alive

Daves keeping it captive in his basement.

Along with Michael Mansion's vocalists. Has anyone ever seen them!?

It took 1.41 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page