Total online 1672
 Radio listeners 172+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 How did your Journey through Hardcore begin?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Ken Masters Lets take a little trip back people & have a good think about what got you into this beautiful scene of ours in the first place.

I suppose i'm still a young raver compared to many on here but I was trained in the ways of Hardcore/Rave from a very early age as my Bro made sure of it & without him, I wouldn't be as addicted to Hardcore as I am today.

He would smother me in Hardcore & Old Skool tapes that he was getting from his mates & they were never out of my little Walkman Tape Player (Jengy as we called them) It really is an addiction thats just as strong as it was getting the first tape from him. I was hooked!

I had a paper run since I was in Primary School (96) & I wouldn't start the rounds without my trusty Jengy & my Hardcore tapes. It was a great wake up call to jump out of bed, jump on my little Trek bike, throw on those big headphones we used to have & fly round my run like a hardcore bat out of hell!

I also have an early memory of sitting on the Primary School Bus & asking someone in the year above me if they had any Hardcore albums in the Library & one guy had just given Bonkers 2 back. Having no money at the time, what so ever, I went to the Library after school, got an account, borrowed Bonkers 2 & they never saw me again! I still have that Bonkers CD to this day back when the CD's were all one big track. I preferred em like that!

Well, I could write an essay on what got me started on this hardcore journey but i'd love to hear how you lot got involved instead. What is it that grabbed hold of you like no other Genre of Music?
DJ-Intensity Spin back to the year 2004 when Bonkers 13 released listened to it on a set of headphones in a music shop and thought that CD was amazing.
kathryn Oh god here we go again all i can say is 91/92 was the start and then listening to Stu Allens KEY 103 Show every weekend got me started i have been into it for over 16 years or so
Ken Masters @ Intensity:

Hardcore's weird like that! hearing a nice selection of tracks for the first time is like a hit on Herion! You'll always go back to it!

@ Kathryn:

I'm just trying to get is to go back to our roots & get a little bit of history back in the forum. Things are a bit stale.

I hear a lot of people giving respects to Stu Allen for getting them hooked but I suppose things were a bit different up here in Scotland. We had the late, great Tom Wilson to look to but I was still very young when his show was on. It just shows you how much an influence from another can change the music you listen to 16 years later, eh?
Triquatra first time i listened to hardcore? 1995 - Mark Oh - Tears Dont Lie (on Dance Zone Level 6)

first time i listened to it and new what i was listening to...
i was in the lake district in 1997 when i was 13, on a family holiday and i met a friend who was listening to Hardcore Heaven Vol 1
on his cassette player. i loved it - and went in search of more hardcore...from there it was onto Bonkers 1 blah blah, Off Yer Nut....the stage one cd bargin...then my first vinyls
bought in a rather expensive mom and pop store down an alley..

Force and Styes - Fireworks
DJ Energy - The Hustler/King Of Rock

and a happyhardcore pre-pack that replayrecords were doing in 1998 (25 new era/stompin choonz for £25)

*edited to correct dates*
Rayovac Back in christmas 2006 my parents got me Dancemania Happy Ravers.

Fell in love with it. Over 2007 I got some more Dancemania Speed CDs (And Dancemania Trance Ravers). Until some time in late 2007 I thought the genre was called "speed."
Samination Around 2001, me and my brother bought Off Yer Nut!! 1 and 2, but we didnt really like it, tho I did like Demo's mix on OYN!!2 (tho I do not like the style later, i somewhat still like that mix).

No, I got into hardcore when a mate of my brother sent us Shooting Star (funny enough labeled Happy Hardcore - Shooting Star at the time :P). A Year later, I started ordering my first CDs (Happy2bHardcore), and soon after my first records
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
first time i listened to hardcore? 1995 - Mark Oh - Tears Dont Lie (on Dance Zone Level 6)

first time i listened to it and new what i was listening to...
i was in the lake district in 1997 when i was 13, on a family holiday and i met a friend who was listening to Hardcore Heaven Vol 1
on his cassette player. i loved it - and went in search of more hardcore...from there it was onto Bonkers 1 blah blah, Off Yer Nut....the stage one cd bargin...then my first vinyls
bought in a rather expensive mom and pop store down an alley..

Force and Styes - Fireworks
DJ Energy - The Hustler/King Of Rock

and a happyhardcore pre-pack that replayrecords were doing in 1998 (25 new era/stompin choonz for £25)

*edited to correct dates*

Now that HH is a wicked CD! When I was younger, I was more of a Bonkers kid but I bought all 5 of the original HH a few years back & I still listen to them to this day! Great collection!

@ Rayovac:

That looks like an old skool CD mate. When was that out? @ Speed

@ Samination:

aahh, the Off Yer Nut series! Great CD's! I remember moving onto Off Yer Nut as I wanted a harder sound & didn't just want the happy, happy sound of Bonkers anymore. Off Yer Nut filled that gap beautifully! Truly awesome CD's!
Trimms In June I went to England to visit relatives and my friend showed me Neckbreaker by Scott Brown. I had been producing commercial dance for about a year and decided to produce hardcore after that. God that song is ****ing beast. So then I bought Clubland X-Treme 1 just since it had Neckbreaker on it. And then I got Bonkers 15 for the hell of it, before I went back to America,

wow. Wow. That just blew me away. And now I still totally ****ing love Clubland and poppy hardcore but my favorite artists are CLSM and Sharkey. I like anyone who is trying something new, but I still love the cheese too. To be honest my friend wasn't even a big hardcore fan or anything. He only showed me it because he knew I liked dance. Thank god he did!
Triquatra i never actually purchased hardcore heaven 1 until 2000 ish - i was also a bonkers kid lol
the first hardcore heaven album i bought was in 1999 - Hardcore Heaven Vol 5 - which was advertised on TV! i still remember it, it was a CGi advert and some machines was making loads of the hardcore heaven symbols - i went out the next day and bought it :D
still one of my favorite double cds :)
Trimms You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.
Wilky
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn:
Oh god here we go again all i can say is 91/92 was the start and then listening to Stu Allens KEY 103 Show every weekend got me started i have been into it for over 16 years or so

Same here but 93 and im sure this is a duplicate thread?
DJ-Intensity I think this was posted up earlier this year.
Rayovac
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
That looks like an old skool CD mate. When was that out? @ Speed

Was released in 2001 in Japan. So, not too old school.

http://www.discogs.com/release/761332

Another:
http://www.discogs.com/release/605544
Jackol i haven't been in the scene nearly as long as you ****ers.
jesus.
anyway, my trip began when i was ****in around on limewire in 2004 or 2003 (i don't use it EVER nowadays), literally entering the search terms "techno" and "rave"
At some point, a search result for Dune - I can't stop "raveing" popped up, and I loved the song immediately. In my iTunes, the genre had been tagged as happy hardcore. I went to amazon and searched happy hardcore, and some of the results that popped up were hardcore nation 2, happy 2b hardcore and others.
Hardcore Nation 2 was the first I ordered, and I fell in love instantly with Robbie Long's CD, full of bouncy, ****ed up hardcore. After that I ordered the Happy 2b hardcore CD's.
I started listening to DI.fm Hardcore as well, and I was hooked.
Wilky
quote:
Originally posted by Trimms:
You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.

Toytown is a monster classic mate
Mortis Short version:

95 - Listening to Stu Allan in art class @ school and started to like the music, 96 bro requested I find a D&B track for him so recorded a Key 103 at home, Critical Mass - Burning Love (Ham mix) was on tape and fell in love with it and the rest is history.
Trimms
quote:
Originally posted by Wilky:
quote:
You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.

It may be, but I couldn't name another one.

Watson. I actually used to hate Dance Music!

When I was about 14/15 (So 4 or 5 years ago), my mates used to listen to Clubland/Floorfillers etc, which was what originally got me into Dance music. I actually couldn't stand Dance music until this point. I still remember moaning in my younger days when people would go past in their cars and I'd mock the "boom, boom, boom" sound of bass coming from them. Of course, that's now my that will be mocked for doing so, but we'll return to that later.

So - Here I am, around 15 years old. Only just got into Dance music. I borrow my pals CD (Clubland 6 it was), and take it home for a listen. I can still remember listening to Hungry Eyes by Eyeopener almost non stop *cringes*.

After that, I bought a few more, Clubland 7, Floorfillers, Gatecrasher etc. Although I found them good, they just didn't quite do it for me. I needed something faster and harder sounding. The tracks were just too cheesy and pop like for me.

Then one day, I was watching the music channels on TV. I seen an advert for Clubland Extreme Hardcore, so i thought I would go and buy it. Perhaps this would do it for me. So I went down the high street during my exam leave and bought it. I'm pretty sure I got the last copy in Kirkcaldy, I couldn't find it anywhere, only got it by chance in WH Smith. I went home, listened to it and certainly got far more listening pleasure out of this than I'd had before. "Fade Away" by Scott Brown & DMO became my first ever favourite Hardcore track. It remains one of my favorites to this day.

A month later, I bought Bonkers 14. I listened to Scott Brown's mix and that was me hooked. I've been listening to Hardcore ever since. Now I'm the one driving around with the music blasting and the bass there for all to hear. I just wonder how many of those 10 year olds mocking me for it will end up doing the same in a few years time.
SPOOX My older cousin got me into the scene when i was 10 in 1990. He was always recording me tapes which i played pretty much non-stop. I started listening to pirate radio & recording the shows.
Finally got decks in 1993 at the age of 13. Although they were only belt drive it was something to practice on.
I used to go wash cars for people to earn money just to buy vinyl & build up my collection. Also spending money on Tape packs & CD's.
Began getting into Jungle / D&B aswell sometime late 93.
At 15 got my 1210s & built a better set-up. Got a part-time job so was spending all my wages on choons & every compilation i could find.
By now i was the person all my mates came to if they wanted to know anything about Hardcore.
1995 started listening to some of the dutch stuff. Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo & Bass-D & King Matthew etc etc.
1996 played at a few mates birthday parties. Went to my first rave in 96 which was Dreamscape 23. Managed to get in with fake ID when i was 16.
Pretty much been the same up to now. Always buying choons or albums. Going raving when i can afford it. Occasionally play at mates parties & things.
Discovered HHC.com in 2006.
Over the last 2 years i've been trying to complete labels by buying every release. Got quite a few completed now.
djDMS Super condensed version.

Went through House, acid, rave etc.

When the Jungle/Hardcore split started appearing I followed the 4/4 route.
discoredia Started with tapes in '91 (still got some of them stashed away) and then my first proper rave was Galactica on Ripon Racecourse October '92.

Then went to Uni in Durham and made regular trips up to Newcastle for Judgement Day before moving back home to the middle of nowhere.

Always kept on listening to the tapes and c.d's although it was nearly all Colloseum and After Dark round our way and didn't go out for a few years due to working most weekends.

Finally went back out again to Summer Sensation at Fantasy Island, probably the best night out I've ever had. Followed that with a few Dizstruxshons and Vibealites, plus a few other nights here and there, but haven't been out for a couple of years now.

Still listen to hardcore but I prefer the "Dutch" style and Brisk / Scott Brown's harder stuff to anything Hixxy and co do these days, that old J Day influence is still there!

Not being talented in any way musically I wanted to add something to the scene, that being one of the reasons I based my first novel around it.

(Oops, gone a touch further than "How did your journey....begin" )
Wilky
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wilky:
quote:

It may be, but I couldn't name another one.

Have you not heard, tinytots - discoland, bang - shooting star, unique - higher ground, ravers choice - techno wonderland, triple j - have it all? Just a very small selection of cheesey happy hardcore classics that i highly reccommend you youtube mate
pinkdevil16 I havent been into hardcore for very long (still have a huge pile of cds tho) but i first discovered it when i was copying files from my mates computer and she had hardcore euphoria on there so I gave it a listen and loved it so looked it up and discovered all of this :)
Al_X I bought Ibiza History of Trance, really liked it, went on the Warner Dance (the publisher) website, saw Hardcore Nation. Bought it on an impulse buy and as soon as I listened to the first track - Let It Go by Gammer - I just loved it. From then on in I haven't stopped listening.
hardcore anorak
for me was older friends scooter,tom wilson bass generator etc etc then i bought my first ever hardcore cd called the fubar raveheart was an england vs scotland cd dj dougal vs dj obsession still to this day one of the best hardcore cds ever bought .so got into it about 1995 time
Mental_Adam had heard alot of stuff randomly from early 00s when i first started using internet, wasn't until 2004/2005 when i got into it,

Since late last year in 2007, thats when i pretty much became an oldskool and jungle head after listening to a mixture of different hardcore old and new.

I will note, 1st ever hardcore cds i bought came on the same day through the post.

I think they came on the day i got my gcse results, they were Bonkers 2 and Ultimate Hardcore Collection 6XCD
Jackol
quote:
Lets take a little trip back people & have a good think about what got you into this beautiful scene of ours in the first place.

I suppose i'm still a young raver compared to many on here but I was trained in the ways of Hardcore/Rave from a very early age as my Bro made sure of it & without him, I wouldn't be as addicted to Hardcore as I am today.

He would smother me in Hardcore & Old Skool tapes that he was getting from his mates & they were never out of my little Walkman Tape Player (Jengy as we called them) It really is an addiction thats just as strong as it was getting the first tape from him. I was hooked!

I had a paper run since I was in Primary School (96) & I wouldn't start the rounds without my trusty Jengy & my Hardcore tapes. It was a great wake up call to jump out of bed, jump on my little Trek bike, throw on those big headphones we used to have & fly round my run like a hardcore bat out of hell!

I also have an early memory of sitting on the Primary School Bus & asking someone in the year above me if they had any Hardcore albums in the Library & one guy had just given Bonkers 2 back. Having no money at the time, what so ever, I went to the Library after school, got an account, borrowed Bonkers 2 & they never saw me again! I still have that Bonkers CD to this day back when the CD's were all one big track. I preferred em like that!

Well, I could write an essay on what got me started on this hardcore journey but i'd love to hear how you lot got involved instead. What is it that grabbed hold of you like no other Genre of Music?

Also, here's a little old skool Hardcore mix which sums up what old skool hardcore means to me! Its only 30mins long so will get you in the old skool mood The first track on the mix was the first Hardcore Vinyl I ever bought & always takes me back!

Ken Masters pres Old Skool Classics Vol 2

http://www.4shared.com/file/56167140/c6af08a4/DJ_Ken_Masters_pres_Old_Skool_Classics_vol_2.html

can i get the tracklist?
there's a few tracks in here i really like that i haven't heard.
Brian K I got introduced to it technically when my older sister came back from being a foriegn exhange student in northern ireland and played me smart e's =P

didn't get to experience the raving side of it till '94 when I was an exchange student in holland.

best...summer...ever
warped_candykid Walking through Wal-Mart, saw Happy2bHardcore Chapter 4. Here I am now.
TheOneNOnly I can't even remember the first 'Hardcore' track I listened too, all I remember is I got into it all in the early 2000s.

I listened to Hip Hop and Rap in the late 90s, got into Punk Rock in 2000, then shortly after that I heard something being played at a live set. Asked the DJ what the hell he was playing, he just told me Hardcore.

Went on the interwebz, and discovered the world of Hardcore! Still don't know what track he was playing.

Wish I had friends/family who was into this stuff back in the 90s. But, they where either all old rock, or rap! I'm the only one in my family that listens to this stuff, feel odd at family get-to-getters and no one knows what the hell I'm listening to!
Ixnay Began when I was in elementary school in the early 90s. My brother was selected to visit the UK when he was in high school. Along with a bunch of other specially selected kids.

He returned with 2 Hardcore CDs....I can't remember the name, but one was black, one was orange. Originally, I was disgusted...I remember asking him why it was one continuous track....then he explained how it was a mix...

In time, I began to develop a liking for electronic music. I drifted between various genres, trance, techno, video game sound tracks. I never really knew what I was listening for...or to..I just knew I liked the tempo and the way the beat kicked. I forget when it was, but somehow I stumbled on the differences between hardcore and other electronic music, pretty soon there wasn't anything else I was willing to settle for.

Meh, my journey still continues...lately I've been moving in a negative direction...but hopefully there's an upturn in all of that...
MAtRiCks I think my first contact with Hardcore was through Dance Dance Revolution 4th mix, featuring Raver's Choice Vol.4 and Shooting Star if I remember. I didn't especially like these two songs back then in 2000, but then I went to my first party in 2003, a Happy Hardcore one, and fell in love with the music. When I think back, the DDR arcade game probably forged my taste for fast and cheezy electronic music.
Smoogie It was February 2004 me and a mate where in a record shop in Bournemouth which was Destiny Records which sadly closed! ƒ¼ I was talking to the guy who worked there and interested in the dance music of the 90s and ended up listening to a CD which had DJ Demo¡¦s Got a feeling on it. It was the first Happy Hardcore track I ever listened to and needless to say I brought the CD; Hardcore Heaven live at the Sanctuary Milton Keynes, Summer 1996! It was a free CD but I don¡¦t know which album it would have been from but I guess it might be Hardcore Heaven: vol. 1!

I was now having a taste of Happy Hardcore, some ten years after it first emerged and had since ¡¥died out¡¦ ƒ¼ Not long after I got a custom made CD with random Happy Hardcore tracks thrown onto it, some had been taken of mixed CDs (such as Bonkers I later found out) and while I knew none of the tracks on the CD (of about 12-14 tracks) later I would! :D

Next while searching on google one day while bored I typed Happy Hardcore and came across a CD on Amazon called Happy 2 B Hardcore chapter 4! After listening to a sample of Scott Brown¡¦s Everytime I close my eyes I decided to buy it!

By summer 2004 I was listening to both Happy Hardcore and the modern mainstream dance and when I started back at college I was talking about liking Hardcore and another girl on the course recommended Bonkers! The next CD I got was The Ultimate Hardcore Album mixed by Sy & Unknown. It had 6 CDs, three were mixed while the other 3 were unmixed. This had many a great classic on it including the first Bouncy Techno track I heard (although im sure I heard some before 2004) it would be my favourite track on the album, Bass Reaction- Technophobia!

My Happy Hardcore chapter 1 finally arrived after ages of waiting which although had 16 tracks was amazing from start to finish! This is full on Happy Hardcore and 3 tracks stood out, JDS- Higher Love (Slipmatt Remix), DJ DNA- Go insane and Hixxy (and Sharkey) Wanting to Get High! That track got me into hard kicks which is something that most new Hardcore lacked

In November 2004 I got my first Bonkers which was Bonkers 13, Hardcore Horror show which was another brilliant buy! It was far better than Clubland 6 imo lol Hixxy¡¦s mix was an Old Skool mix which was am treat!

In early 2005, two more compilations came out; Hardcore Heaven (mixed by Sy, Brisk & Kevin Energy) and Hardcore Nation (mixed by DJ Seduction, Stu Allen & Robbie Long), came out two weeks later. Seduction¡¦s mix had similar stuff to hardcore Heaven while Stu Allen had some classics in his mix! :P

Throughout 2005 I brought all of the Bonkers and got hold of many old classics along the way! I signed up to happyhardcore.com in October 2005 and ranted about Hardcore being better in the 1990s, even though I don¡¦t remember it from then lol

2006 was a big year! I discovered wikipedia.org and came across an article on Bouncy Techno! It was that summer that I downloaded a Bouncy Techno mix of 14 tracks a member of happyhardcore.com uploaded! Amazing! I also got hold of some new Bouncy Techno by Nu Foundation! :P By this time I was getting into Scottish. Dutch Bouncy Techno and it was something I listened to throughout 2007 starting with a free CD I got off a member of happyhardcore.com and enjoyed Hixxy & Re-con¡¦s mix on best of Bonkers, which ended with some very good tracks off the Dutch Ruffneck label! Another mix I got hold of was a Lenny D mix which I enjoyed a lot!

In summer 2007 I downloaded one of the greatest sets of mixes I ever had the pleasure of listening to; a lot of Dutch Hardcore, mostly Old Skool Gabber which I listened to for months! I was now listening to stuff by DJ Buzz Fuzz, a DJ I never even heard of before!

Four years and my interest in music has come along way! I wonder what I will like next! At the moment (December 2008) my favourite track has to be Cixx- To da Bass (1996)

It was 5 years ago nearly I went into Borders in Bournemouth during what I think was the half term holiday during my first year at college & was at the Cd section. I was into 'Dance' then. I had never heard of Scott Brown, Paul Elstak, Hixxy, or labels like Twisted Vinyl, Rotterdam & Pengo & never knew what the following 5 years had in store for me, that being a trip back into the then by gone 90s! The thing is it was only 5 years before since Bonkers 4 & 5 came out, Happy Hardcore was still being made & 'curtains' was the haircut. The internet would have only just got in...

It seems more changed between 98 to 03 than since 03 to now, yet we can't see change, but we can hear it & Ibiza History of Hard Dance was the first step into my passion for music, yet it wasn't Hardcore, it would help shap me towards it as by the end of that year I was thinking 'what was dance music like 10 years ago?' thinking back to the days of 2 Unlimited, Take That & what I had only heard of being a 'Rave'. That question would lead me back to the 90s but not for a while yet...

Again I was at Borders in Bournemouth Square by the CDs & heard some music comeing out of some head phones,; Ascenson- Someone (Thrillseekers Remix) It is a good Trancy vocal track, not Hardcore (yet Hardcore was coming back at the time, I was yet to hear it as I have already said) but still uplifting & always reminds me of a girl I liked at the time (a cow) I liked it so music & did the usual look at tracklisting, it had Scooter-Logical song & another eye (ear) catcher C&A- Sweet dreams. There where 3 Cds in the pink box set & I brought it.

There where countless tracks I loved, Trinity X- Forever (the harder version, not the radio edit) Culturebeat- Mr Vain Recall, Matt Williams- Fixation & M-Box- Kissing shadows to name a few.

I changed alot of 5 years but my love for music hasn't! Even though my tastes have changed from 'Hard Dance' to 90s Happy Hardcore & then new Upfront Hardcore, to only liking 90s stuff, to Scottish Bouncy Techno (although liked that for a while before I totaly switched over) to the Dutch Gabber/ Happy Gabber & now the very Old Skool Rotterdam!

I must have heard thousands of Hardcore & Dance tracks from the years 1989- present & alot of CDs, compilations, mixes (downloaded), vinyls, mp3s & youtube videos!

Im starting to produce my own tracks now! It is going to be like the 90s all over again but with the internet!

I have two new mixes that will be up next month. Just got to try them out & see if they are good enough! One will be a Happy Hardcore/ Old Skool mix the other will be Bouncy Techno mix.
protonic It all started in 1994 for me: Scooter, Dune, Marusha, Mark'Oh, RMB, Thunderdome CDs, Happy Rave CDs.
mitchy_boy i got into trance which progressed into gabber then i stumbled across this site, and it began.
kathryn bloody ell smoog's thats the length of our pc screen
Future_Shock
quote:
Hado-ken.... shoryu-ken

Fixed :)

One hyphenated word. File-sharing. That's what got me into listening, buying, mixing, producing and loving hardcore.
Mental_Adam Thats like something from an autobiography smoogs ; ) hehe
Future_Shock
quote:
Originally posted by Mental_Adam:
Thats like something from an autobiography smoogs ; ) hehe

He's not exactly a stranger to long-winded posts.

I think you'll get my vote for tl;dr category in the 2nd annual hhc.com awards smoogs :)
Ken Masters This is awesome! The feedbacks been great & I feel like & know you all a lot better now.

Keep em coming & fair play smoogie, thats a short story you've written!
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by hardcore anorak:

for me was older friends scooter,tom wilson bass generator etc etc then i bought my first ever hardcore cd called the fubar raveheart was an england vs scotland cd dj dougal vs dj obsession still to this day one of the best hardcore cds ever bought .so got into it about 1995 time

This was one of the first CD's I heard also mate & what a CD that is! I think i'll go on ebay & try & dig that up.

The Scottish disc was the best though!

Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn:
bloody ell smoog's thats the length of our pc screen

Its an 'update' on what I wrote before lol It might have taken up all of your screen but it only toke me 5 mins to copy, paste & edit it lol
oOoJaxoOo It had to have been January 2000 in Las Vegas when i went to mah first rave and i heard H 2 the core beiing played by Dig Dug.

My favorite cd is Chapter three (Eye Opener)
The Doc
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Super condensed version.

Went through House, acid, rave etc.

When the Jungle/Hardcore split started appearing I followed the 4/4 route.

I was just going to type a long winded reason from where my love of hardcore started! and then found this!

ditto!

(well apart from my breakdance era in the early 80's! Tour de France was well ahead of its time)

tru bass well i am probably one of the only people on here who's route into hardcore was via the shitty chav dj route..

i liked dj pulse.. alot about 5,6 or 7 years ago.. i had heard of happy hardcore. didnt know what it was but i was swept into the pcdj rage inside schools like anything.. which was huge round where i live..

me and my mate, who shared my interest in utter crap went to stockport inside hmv looking at the speakers when this guy came up to us with a bonkers in his hand, he told us that we should buy some bonkers cd's and also told us to go to spin inn in manchester (which is now closed :( ) so i bought bonkers 11 and 13 and it completely blew me away. i found out the truth of the pcdj's and grew to hate the gets as well, which was quite important.

so i went to spin inn and they played some vinyl for us.. think it was some really hard gabber and an upfront one.. and then i was completely addicted

since then ive spend loads of money on cd's and drained hours of my life sat here on this site waiting for new cd's.. but i think its worth it :D
OMGitswillc i fell in love with hardcore at probally bout 10 but my m8s were listning 2 rnb and mcs and shit like that i followed but ive alwaiiz had a place in my heart 4 hardcore

it was on the walazar a skeggness a song came on it was dj cammy and i know hes not big and hes no hardcore but ever since den i liked Hixxy And Dougal my fave djs eva

and im onli 13 carnt wait till im leagally allowed 2 raves
latininxtc I haven't been into the music as long as you folks but i'm going on 9 years now alright and still into it as strong as the 1st time!

back in 2000 it was the beginning of my senior year in high school and i became friends with this girl and her brother. her brother like a lot of electronic music just like me. at that time i was listenin to the more mainstream trance and dance, and he let me listen to Happy 2B Hardcore Ch3 and i was instantly hooked!

I borrowed it and i made a copy (yea i know shame on me) and i also went on N*****r and checked out the Happy Hardcore genre. I ended up buying the whole H2BH CDs that were out at that time and then i found out about this website, and now i've been buying compilations ever since. Hardcore is the longest music that i have ever listened to and I don't see myself getting tired of it no matter what people say about the scene! HTID!
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by TheOneNOnly:
I can't even remember the first 'Hardcore' track I listened too, all I remember is I got into it all in the early 2000s.

I listened to Hip Hop and Rap in the late 90s, got into Punk Rock in 2000, then shortly after that I heard something being played at a live set. Asked the DJ what the hell he was playing, he just told me Hardcore.

Went on the interwebz, and discovered the world of Hardcore! Still don't know what track he was playing.

Wish I had friends/family who was into this stuff back in the 90s. But, they where either all old rock, or rap! I'm the only one in my family that listens to this stuff, feel odd at family get-to-getters and no one knows what the hell I'm listening to!

don't feel too bad in fact you should introduce it to the younger ones in the family, maybe it'll corrupt their minds a little! lol j/k

but for real, i got my nephew into it he still likes hardcore, but he's more into the basshunter stuff and probably the more commerical clubcore stuff as well. but try and get your younger bros/sis/nieces/nephews/cousins to listen to it they might actually start liking it

but yea now that i realized it, H2BH3 is not the 1st hardcore experience. Can't Stop Raving by Dune was def my first and that was in 1999 when me and my cousin ran into it online. it wasn't until H2BH3 that i actually discovered the genre of Happy Hardcore.
bulby_g I don't remember the specifics too well :P Was in the early nineties I would have first heard it as my brother and his mates started listening to it. I used to borrow his tapes all the time. First tapes I got for myself were the Bonkers 1 twin pack when it was released.

Went to my first little local Hardcore party (Intensity) when I was 13 (must have been around 1997), First Illegal rave was about a year later and first Big Legal Hardcore party was United Dance @ Bagleys in 2001 I think.
ravekutz Was originally into Hip Hop... But when hardcore exploded around the world in 1995 I never really stopped listening to it. It's a sound thats taken so many influences over the years from other genres.
Ken Masters Great feedback everyone! I feel like I know you all a bit better now & where your Hardcore roots began. Keep em coming
ChrisDale it all first started when my m8 brought bonkers 1 around and i started listenin to it and kept on listenin to hardcore through the years
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisDale:
it all first started when my m8 brought bonkers 1 around and i started listenin to it and kept on listenin to hardcore through the years

Classic mate! Bonkers 1 will never die but my favorite has too be 2 just for all the memories it brings back

rosin007 I used to listen to a lot of trance and techno, I searched a lot on youtube and the first hardcore track I listened to was Elysium by Scott Brown.

About this time last year, I was playing a MMOPRG game with a friend I know from the game who is from UK and we started talking about music. She told me about the genre and that it was called Hardcore.

I later searched a lot on Google and youtube and found myself a lot of tunes. Then sometime I was contacted by a guy on a network similar to facebook he said I should go to di.fm. I listened a lot to the radio stream and then August last year I found this site and joined in October.

Now I've got myself a few CD's and my knowledge in hardcore just keeps growing every day!
Citrick
quote:
well i am probably one of the only people on here who's route into hardcore was via the shitty chav dj route..

Nope me too, heres my story...

I'm from Cork, Ireland. I love music. Always have. Only been a hardcore addict for a few years so I got nothing on some of you guys but this is how it happened for me...

In my early days I was heavily influenced by my mother and listened to mostly pop music :P Until I started secondary school when one day I was listening to my friends ipod and came across DJ RANKIN. As soon as I heard "Eminem in overload" I fell in love. It was like nothing I had ever heard before. As soon as I got home I downloaded every DJ Rankin song I could find. I got "I am a raver", "Pretty green eyed supa dupa hip hop", "I'll fly with you inside out" and many more. I'd say I had around thirty odd songs of his but my favorite was always Eminem in overload. I listened to that more then any of them, and that's saying a lot.

But one day I heard the Scott Brown track "Fly with you". "That sounds a lot like a DJ Rankin track" I said to myself, but I thought nothing of it. Until I heard "Rave heaven" by Dave McCullen and then I got suspicious. So I jumped onto Google and came across "Overload" by Voodoo and Serano, I nearly cried. My favorite song (Eminem in overload). A fake. A ripoff. It broke my heart. Now I'm not going to turn this into a DJ Rankin hate fest so lets just say I found the "real" version of every DJ Rankin song I had and never listened to another Rankin track again.

After that my music development was pretty slow... and dull. I listened to the likes of Clubland and Ultimate NRG until one fine day I came across "Save me" by the one and only Darren Styles. Little did I know that Darren Styles would end up being like one of the biggest producers in hardcore :P I LOVED save me. Naturally I looked up this Darren Styles guy and found that he had quite a few tracks. "Great".

I started buying CDs and before I knew it I had a new love, HARDCORE! I knew as soon as I heard "Theme" by Hixxy and Styles that I had found my passion and upto this day I have never looked back. Apart from when a new Ultimate NRG comes out, or maybe a new Clubland edition, MAYBE!

Oh and nice one for the mix (Tracklist?) I'm listening to it now and I must say I'm liking it. Never really listened to the old skool stuff before (Too much new stuff to catch up on :P) But after this I think I'm gonna have to look into it.

*Opens new tab, goes to google.com and begins searching for old skool hardcore*
Physx Back in 97 / 98 i was given an amature bootleg mix tape with a terrible MC'ing on it. The mic was all crackly and he sounded like a melon.... However, there were some ****in cracking tunes on it. Lucky he kept his mouth shut most of the time, im guessing he was djing and mcing at the same time.

Shooting Star, Insomniak, Discoland, Broken Wings to name a few, and these are all classics in my opinion.

And then after a discovering this awsome thing called the internet, i managed to stumble upon HHC.com radio And thats it, since then i have been living, breathing and sleeping Hardcore as my one and only genre for 10 - 11 years lol
Charco Got into it around mid/ early 90's = Started off with trace- then got into the happy german hardcore. Still love the older stuff - can't say the same about the recent stuff though. Don't know wether it was the fact that it was a lot harder to get hold of and the old tapes have an 'atmosphere' about them. Still have 100's of CD's but it's only a select few that hit the spot still (Older stuff like Ionosphere and german stuff).
Got into hardstyle now- it's got a rawness about it - would prefer it now to the modern style of hardcore.

Love the post about 90's rave - some classics in it!
Started to get into the spanish stuff but find it very irrating as there are few decent mixes - always seem to try mixing multiple tracks and playing them together when it sounds horrible...
jordesuvi This topic looks cool.

My younger brother used to be really into roller coaster games (Rollercoaster Tycoon/Thrillville/etc) and would look at videos of first person roller coaster simulators on YouTube. One day he was on my old laptop showing me a video he really liked. The song in the background was the club mix of Groove Coverage's "21'st Century Digital Girl". I really liked that track so I looked up more about it, how it's part of the hands up genre. Many YouTube related videos later I'd been through all the artists discography you may be familiar with:
Splash, Satomi, Contacreast and was a huge fan of the promoters of that time. Jakizhan, Zakuro111, ShyGuy, bannishedtiger, UltimateReaper and the rest I forget.
With that I came across nightcore, which at the time I thought was awesome.

Since I spent a lot of my free time listening and looking up new music I often came across gems that barely anyone had heard (or made a nightcore version of) before, so I start posting tracks onto my poorly named YouTube channel.

I did come across Pretty Rave Girl early on but since it was either labeled under I Am X-Ray or Nightcore so it was a dead end to find anything else.

A small while later my parents had got a load of albums in bulk, one of them being Clubland X-Treme Hardcore 6. I was already watching the Clubland TV channel (back when they played nearly all AATW releases). At a similar time I came across Little Kandi Raver.
I found I especially liked the happy stuff: Anybody Else But You, Without Doubt, Outta My Head, Only Your Love.

After having five previous YouTube channels taken down I did some thinking and decided which genre I'd like to focus on promoting. I ended up choosing hardcore because I found that it's the most easygoing and fun genre and out of all the genres I've been a part of, the hardcore scene has been the nicest.

Fast forward to present day, here I am.
Captain Triceps First became aware of hardcore from my uncle who used to go to Club Kinetic every weekend and didn't stop going on about it. I didn't much care, I wasn't into music much.
A few of the lads in my class were into the music (this would have been around 1995), and as they were all knobheads I took the music as being for knobheads too. It sounded like comedy, novelty stuff with the speed and high pitched vocals and that.
A little later on a mate was listening to a CD, The Sound of Happycore 97. I was disappointed at first that he had become 'one of them', but he insisted I had a listen.
Jesus Christ.
I'd never heard anything like it. I wasn't really aware of tunes being mixed as such either, and when I listened to the mixed CD, that was it - from this day forward I was going to be a DJ.
Until I got my first CD decks (some piece of shit all in one unit with horrible clicky buttons that took a second to respond, and no pitch control at all!), I used to put two cd/tape players next to each other and play tune after tune recorded to another tape recorder (not line in - just as close to the built-in mic as possible!) I was buying every tape pack and CD album I could get my hands on and still have them all to this day (I posted pictures recently actually)
When I got a job I was spending all my money on vinyl and got my 1200's in 1999/2000 (I think) just before the UK hardcore boom. I don't love the current music nearly as much as the music from the 90's and 2000s (although I listen to a lot of different music now, in particular skinhead reggae, ska, northern soul etc), but I'm still here!
brenergy
quote:
Originally posted by jordesuvi:
A small while later my parents had got a load of albums in bulk, one of them being Clubland X-Treme Hardcore 6. I was already watching the Clubland TV channel (back when they played nearly all AATW releases). At a similar time I came across Little Kandi Raver.
I found I especially liked the happy stuff: Anybody Else But You, Without Doubt, Outta My Head, Only Your Love.

I see we started with the same first physical album :V

I thought CXHC6 was awesome when I first heard it... now that I've heard a much fuller spectrum of Hardcore, it's a bit underwhelming tbh xD

And while I'm here, I guess I'll say how my journey began...

A few online friends discovered the Clubland albums online (through the ever so popular YouTube xD)... I liked what I heard, and that's where I had my first kind-of taste of the core (at the time I just lumped the Hardcore in with the Clubland stuff)... and then I came across some stuff by Australian producers (namely from the label Australia with Force, via their YouTube channel) which then led me to more good tunes... and I ended up getting hooked on the genre, and then ended up buying my first CD: Clubland X-Treme Hardcore 6 (before that I bought some singles while imodownload / hardbeats were still around)... and then I ended up going deeper and deeper into the genre, and here I am now xD

Later on I decided I wanted to make music too, but that's another story altogether xD
The drunken scotsman I've always liked uplifting dance music as far back as I can remember and was right into trance/dance during the boom times 98-99ish. That kind of hit a dry spell for me around 2002 which coincidentally was when hardcore bounced back. Me and my mates were bored of the shite dance music so one of my mates acquired a Tom Wilson tape from a night in Stirling. For those of you who don't know who Tom Wilson is - he was a legendary scottish dj/producer who really pushed the sound up here in scotland - I believe he had a show on the radio at some point. Sadly he died about 10 years ago. Anyway his tape had a load of classic happy hardcore tunes on it which I loved. Around the same time bonkers 9 was released and the rest is history, have been in love with hardcore ever since.... Although admittedly its faded in the last year or so.
trippnface hmm i was a sophomore in high school; was really into punk and metal; made tons of fun about techno or dance music. had not experimented with drugs or alcohol and when i did my perception really changed and alot of my misconceptions or ignorance melted away. sounds funny but someone put on boten ana by basshunter and even though it's not "hardcore" i could not understand what this awesome upbeat fkn music was. then i guess someone showed me that 10 minute dj ravine happy hardcore mix ( don't hate haha) and from then on i was absolutely hooked. 0 ravers or people who got down in my town( guess all the ravers were 10 years older) ; and it was before raving got huge again; atleast for my location. it took me awhile to figure it all out ;). first hardcore rave was hixxy & scott brown in SF in 2010. only been into hardcore or dance since about 07/ 08 :p

haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqQJ4p_p4M
DJ2XL Stu allen Key 103 some girl on holiday had a tape playing on a ghetto blaster and i asked what it was.. i borrowed the tape nearly wore it out..
i was djing at the time but had never heard anything like that.. so asked my local record shop independent to listen to the tape and see if he could recognise any choons i got about 10 from the tape and that's where it started..
Shades this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT_xX2jdw9E

end!
Shades
quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT_xX2jdw9E

or full mix here: http://www.mixcloud.com/BBCEssentialMix/force-and-styles-essential-mix-01061997/

end!

ninja edit someone is gonna kill me but... I was born in '95

Ken Masters Wow! This is a real blast from the past, great to see the thread get some attention 6 years on with new stories posted :)
The Dopeman growing up it was pretty much the only music i ever heard along with bands like runrig, status quo, the bangles etc they're kinda my "guilty pleasures" but i mostly heard stuff from technosis, scott brown, bass generator, TTF etc and i used to listen to tom wilson religiously every weekend on forth one and when he moved to beat 106

i barely listen to anything after the 90's anymore apart from MOH etc
oxis started as 2% of my library as a guilty pleasure, probably currently consists of 30% of my library now though

someone linked a game footage video on youtube on an indie game forum i frequent, and the video had music by an artist that i hadn't listened in a long time. when i checked his website for the first time in years, i came across some hardcore releases and they were pretty cool.
The drunken scotsman Wow, found the set that got me into hardcore on Soundcloud. Pure nostalgia.....

https://m.soundcloud.com/magpie303/tom-wilson-magic-kingdom
_Jay_
An older mate gave me Vibes' mix of Bonkers 6 on CD in '99 when I was 13. He was 18, and it was his first experience of Hardcore as well (some guy on holiday that year had given him the Bonkers 6 album). We'd been family mates since I was born, and he introduced me to all kinds of fabulous things in life, like an older brother would! Gave me my first beer (much to my dad's dismay).

But yeah, he went off to Uni at 18 in Bournemouth where there was a strong Hardcore scene and got right involved. Then when he came back he started feeding me more Hardcore and I began to follow it in a more organised kind of way. Then, first rave was 2004 in Cambridge when I turned 18 (I looked about 11 - there was no chance of me getting in anywhere without ID as a 16 or 17 year-old).

Rest is history, really. Been raving my tits off ever since.

Oh, and some of you will have met this mate of mine. Big Matty! We're now 33 and 28 respectively and raving together regularly. :-)

Samination
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:

An older mate gave me Vibes' mix of Bonkers 6 on CD in '99 when I was 13. He was 18, and it was his first experience of Hardcore as well (some guy on holiday that year had given him the Bonkers 6 album). We'd been family mates since I was born, and he introduced me to all kinds of fabulous things in life, like an older brother would! Gave me my first beer (much to my dad's dismay).

But yeah, he went off to Uni at 18 in Bournemouth where there was a strong Hardcore scene and got right involved. Then when he came back he started feeding me more Hardcore and I began to follow it in a more organised kind of way. Then, first rave was 2004 in Cambridge when I turned 18 (I looked about 11 - there was no chance of me getting in anywhere without ID as a 16 or 17 year-old).

Rest is history, really. Been raving my tits off ever since.

Oh, and some of you will have met this mate of mine. Big Matty! We're now 33 and 28 respectively and raving together regularly. :-)

The same Matt I've met?

Anyways, I have to "edit" my history. It was as early as mid 2000 that I got the Off Yer Nut!! albums. Before that, I had Scooter's first collection (Rough Tough & Dangerous, the singles 94-98) which was my first foray into Hardcore.
_Jay_
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
The same Matt I've met?

Yeah! :-)

Hard2Get
quote:
We're now 33 and 28 respectively and raving together regularly. :-)

What a beautiful relationship
ninja edit
quote:

raving together regularly. :-)

no homo ofc
djDMS Must.....resist.....grooming comments....
latininxtc Doesn't surprise me that Jay has been hanging out with older men since his teen years! ;)
_Jay_

Ha ha! It did sound odd when I wrote it but I thought fcuk it, leave it in.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

Hard2Get
quote:

Ha ha! It did sound odd when I wrote it but I thought fcuk it, leave it in.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

*he
djDMS Once all you lot have stopped bumming each other over HTID IT'S we need a get together!
Hard2Get And bum each other.
Hard2Get Oops. I only meant to think that.
Triquatra LOL!!

I agree

but with which part......................
DJ2XL http://youtu.be/XYJZB51pvi4
One of the first...
skarr First heard it on a pirate radio station in nottingham and thought the genre of music was called 'vibealite' as that was the local hardcore rave in Mansfield, then brought 'to the core magazine' and read a review of bonkers 1, went out and brought and never looked back.
I now live in Bristol where the hardcore scene is by far the best in the country,nowhere else even comes close, There was 'Absolute hardcore' at lakota last weekend, 'intolerance ultraviolet' at blue mountain next weekend, https://www.facebook.com/events/210144549127231/?sid_reminder=4539179458573107200 and hardcore heaven at motion the weekend after, and also there is 'totally ardcore', 'now thats what i called hardcore' and 'delerium', which all run regularly, it really is relentless.
skarr And not forgetting Bionic and Marc Smiths birthday bash.
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
And not forgetting Bionic and Marc Smiths birthday bash.

I didn't realise there was so much going on in Bristol, I need to get my ass over to some of these events now I'm only an hour away :)
DJ A.K. I was always into the Prodigy and dance music in general but i wasnt aware of "the scene" until someone lent me a Stu Allan @ Club Kinetic tape around 1994, then someone gav me a Lenny Dee tape from Tomorrows World.
I was in love with the music from the first moment I heard it, i always wondered why all these great tracks never get in the charts, Lol
Then a friend told me Stu Allan DJ'd on Key 103 sunday nights, couldnt believe hardcore was on the radio, mixes for free ! so I taped it every week. Started buying Kinetic, Helter Skelter and Dreamscape tape packs, also got Bonkers 3.
Then I got some turntables in 1997..... went to my first rave in 1998..... Happy Days
sense_of_hardcore Growing up in late 90's early 2000's, I had always been interested Dance / Electronic music especially at that time trance music and then started listening to hard dance.

Then one day I was watching something on TV and then during the commercial break, I saw the advert for Original Hardcore 2 - Old Skool vs. Nu Skool mixed by Force & Styles and Sy & Unknown. Despite it lasting about 30 seconds, I thought it sounded awesome so the very next day I rushed to WHSmith to buy my copy and the moment I played Paul Elstak's - Don't Leave Me Alone, I loved the sound. That album was in my CD player for weeks and I tried to convince my friends (who were into the Trance scene) to start listening to more of this music, at first they were quite lukewarm but when the scene got more popular, they were asking me if they could borrow my albums and they developed much more of an interest.

I would save up a lot of my pocket money to buy hardcore albums including the Bonkers series and loved particularly the new sound at that time which blended trance music with classic hardcore elements perfectly. I even continued to find out about the release of the latest hardcore albums through ITV or Channel 4 commercial breaks

Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by sense_of_hardcore:
I even continued to find out about the release of the latest hardcore albums through ITV or Channel 4 commercial breaks

Yes, I remember a time when the odd happy hardcore album advert would pop up from time to time. I'm certain the Bonkers 5 ad ran for a while.
sense_of_hardcore
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
Yes, I remember a time when the odd happy hardcore album advert would pop up from time to time. I'm certain the Bonkers 5 ad ran for a while.

The Bonkers albums certainly featured quite a bit. I remember I recorded a programme on TV and during one of the commercial breaks they were advertising Bonkers XI - in fact that advert was probably more interesting than the feature programme I was watching as I rewound to that bit a few times.
Ravemark In 1995, tuned into a dance radio station on Sydneys North Shore playing Happy Hard and Gabber.
Then started to buy mix tapes from Australian Hardcore djs like Daydream, Herb and Spellbound.
bazzaboiii I was around 12 growing up in Scotland when rave, bouncy techno and hardcore was everywhere.

I used to buy all the tape packs from the rezerection events, acts like bass generator, ultrasonic, rhythmic state were all playing the local clubs and all the young people were listening to them, even managed to get to an under 18's rave to see Ultrasonic live.

21 years later I've never stopped..longest thing I've kept in my life haha.

Hardcores seen me through a lot of stuff.. Making the good times better and getting me through the tough times.

It took 4.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page