Total online 1490
 Radio listeners 161+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 How did your Journey through Hardcore begin?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 7

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  16:24:18  Show profile Send a private message
Lets take a little trip back people & have a good think about what got you into this beautiful scene of ours in the first place.

I suppose i'm still a young raver compared to many on here but I was trained in the ways of Hardcore/Rave from a very early age as my Bro made sure of it & without him, I wouldn't be as addicted to Hardcore as I am today.

He would smother me in Hardcore & Old Skool tapes that he was getting from his mates & they were never out of my little Walkman Tape Player (Jengy as we called them) It really is an addiction thats just as strong as it was getting the first tape from him. I was hooked!

I had a paper run since I was in Primary School (96) & I wouldn't start the rounds without my trusty Jengy & my Hardcore tapes. It was a great wake up call to jump out of bed, jump on my little Trek bike, throw on those big headphones we used to have & fly round my run like a hardcore bat out of hell!

I also have an early memory of sitting on the Primary School Bus & asking someone in the year above me if they had any Hardcore albums in the Library & one guy had just given Bonkers 2 back. Having no money at the time, what so ever, I went to the Library after school, got an account, borrowed Bonkers 2 & they never saw me again! I still have that Bonkers CD to this day back when the CD's were all one big track. I preferred em like that!

Well, I could write an essay on what got me started on this hardcore journey but i'd love to hear how you lot got involved instead. What is it that grabbed hold of you like no other Genre of Music?

Alert moderator

Edited by - Ken Masters on 2015/01/25 10:58:55
DJ-Intensity
Advanced Member

United States
1,903 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  16:33:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ-Intensity's homepage
Spin back to the year 2004 when Bonkers 13 released listened to it on a set of headphones in a music shop and thought that CD was amazing.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
kathryn
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,520 posts
kathryn has attended 3 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  16:36:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kathryn's homepage
Oh god here we go again all i can say is 91/92 was the start and then listening to Stu Allens KEY 103 Show every weekend got me started i have been into it for over 16 years or so

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  16:46:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
@ Intensity:

Hardcore's weird like that! hearing a nice selection of tracks for the first time is like a hit on Herion! You'll always go back to it!

@ Kathryn:

I'm just trying to get is to go back to our roots & get a little bit of history back in the forum. Things are a bit stale.

I hear a lot of people giving respects to Stu Allen for getting them hooked but I suppose things were a bit different up here in Scotland. We had the late, great Tom Wilson to look to but I was still very young when his show was on. It just shows you how much an influence from another can change the music you listen to 16 years later, eh?

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  16:54:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
first time i listened to hardcore? 1995 - Mark Oh - Tears Dont Lie (on Dance Zone Level 6)

first time i listened to it and new what i was listening to...
i was in the lake district in 1997 when i was 13, on a family holiday and i met a friend who was listening to Hardcore Heaven Vol 1
on his cassette player. i loved it - and went in search of more hardcore...from there it was onto Bonkers 1 blah blah, Off Yer Nut....the stage one cd bargin...then my first vinyls
bought in a rather expensive mom and pop store down an alley..

Force and Styes - Fireworks
DJ Energy - The Hustler/King Of Rock

and a happyhardcore pre-pack that replayrecords were doing in 1998 (25 new era/stompin choonz for £25)

*edited to correct dates*

Edited by - Triquatra on 2008/12/29 17:01:57
Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:11:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rayovac's homepage
Back in christmas 2006 my parents got me Dancemania Happy Ravers.

Fell in love with it. Over 2007 I got some more Dancemania Speed CDs (And Dancemania Trance Ravers). Until some time in late 2007 I thought the genre was called "speed."

This also means "People read."

Edited by - Rayovac on 2008/12/29 17:12:09
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:26:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Around 2001, me and my brother bought Off Yer Nut!! 1 and 2, but we didnt really like it, tho I did like Demo's mix on OYN!!2 (tho I do not like the style later, i somewhat still like that mix).

No, I got into hardcore when a mate of my brother sent us Shooting Star (funny enough labeled Happy Hardcore - Shooting Star at the time :P). A Year later, I started ordering my first CDs (Happy2bHardcore), and soon after my first records

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2008/12/29 17:34:47
Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:39:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
first time i listened to hardcore? 1995 - Mark Oh - Tears Dont Lie (on Dance Zone Level 6)

first time i listened to it and new what i was listening to...
i was in the lake district in 1997 when i was 13, on a family holiday and i met a friend who was listening to Hardcore Heaven Vol 1
on his cassette player. i loved it - and went in search of more hardcore...from there it was onto Bonkers 1 blah blah, Off Yer Nut....the stage one cd bargin...then my first vinyls
bought in a rather expensive mom and pop store down an alley..

Force and Styes - Fireworks
DJ Energy - The Hustler/King Of Rock

and a happyhardcore pre-pack that replayrecords were doing in 1998 (25 new era/stompin choonz for £25)

*edited to correct dates*

Now that HH is a wicked CD! When I was younger, I was more of a Bonkers kid but I bought all 5 of the original HH a few years back & I still listen to them to this day! Great collection!

@ Rayovac:

That looks like an old skool CD mate. When was that out? @ Speed

@ Samination:

aahh, the Off Yer Nut series! Great CD's! I remember moving onto Off Yer Nut as I wanted a harder sound & didn't just want the happy, happy sound of Bonkers anymore. Off Yer Nut filled that gap beautifully! Truly awesome CD's!

Trimms

United States
494 posts
Trimms has attended 3 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:41:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Trimms's homepage
In June I went to England to visit relatives and my friend showed me Neckbreaker by Scott Brown. I had been producing commercial dance for about a year and decided to produce hardcore after that. God that song is ****ing beast. So then I bought Clubland X-Treme 1 just since it had Neckbreaker on it. And then I got Bonkers 15 for the hell of it, before I went back to America,

wow. Wow. That just blew me away. And now I still totally ****ing love Clubland and poppy hardcore but my favorite artists are CLSM and Sharkey. I like anyone who is trying something new, but I still love the cheese too. To be honest my friend wasn't even a big hardcore fan or anything. He only showed me it because he knew I liked dance. Thank god he did!

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:46:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
i never actually purchased hardcore heaven 1 until 2000 ish - i was also a bonkers kid lol
the first hardcore heaven album i bought was in 1999 - Hardcore Heaven Vol 5 - which was advertised on TV! i still remember it, it was a CGi advert and some machines was making loads of the hardcore heaven symbols - i went out the next day and bought it :D
still one of my favorite double cds :)

Trimms

United States
494 posts
Trimms has attended 3 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:51:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Trimms's homepage
You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.

Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:51:52  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by kathryn:
Oh god here we go again all i can say is 91/92 was the start and then listening to Stu Allens KEY 103 Show every weekend got me started i have been into it for over 16 years or so

Same here but 93 and im sure this is a duplicate thread?

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/wilky

This post was made by Spunk Licker
who is currently on your ignore list .
Display this post.

DJ-Intensity
Advanced Member

United States
1,903 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  17:56:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ-Intensity's homepage
I think this was posted up earlier this year.

Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  18:08:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rayovac's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
That looks like an old skool CD mate. When was that out? @ Speed

Was released in 2001 in Japan. So, not too old school.

http://www.discogs.com/release/761332

Another:
http://www.discogs.com/release/605544

This also means "People read."

Jackol

United States
443 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:20:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jackol's homepage
i haven't been in the scene nearly as long as you ****ers.
jesus.
anyway, my trip began when i was ****in around on limewire in 2004 or 2003 (i don't use it EVER nowadays), literally entering the search terms "techno" and "rave"
At some point, a search result for Dune - I can't stop "raveing" popped up, and I loved the song immediately. In my iTunes, the genre had been tagged as happy hardcore. I went to amazon and searched happy hardcore, and some of the results that popped up were hardcore nation 2, happy 2b hardcore and others.
Hardcore Nation 2 was the first I ordered, and I fell in love instantly with Robbie Long's CD, full of bouncy, ****ed up hardcore. After that I ordered the Happy 2b hardcore CD's.
I started listening to DI.fm Hardcore as well, and I was hooked.

Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:38:03  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Trimms:
You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.

Toytown is a monster classic mate

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/wilky

This post was made by Spunk Licker
who is currently on your ignore list .
Display this post.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 7 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.94 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page