Total online 1754
 Radio listeners 186+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 How did your Journey through Hardcore begin?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 7

Author Thread  
Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:42:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage  Reply with quote
Short version:

95 - Listening to Stu Allan in art class @ school and started to like the music, 96 bro requested I find a D&B track for him so recorded a Key 103 at home, Critical Mass - Burning Love (Ham mix) was on tape and fell in love with it and the rest is history.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Trimms

United States
494 posts
Trimms has attended 3 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:42:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Trimms's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wilky:
quote:
Originally posted by Trimms:
You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.

Toytown is a monster classic mate

It may be, but I couldn't name another one.

Watson.

United Kingdom
276 posts
Watson. has attended 1 event
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:43:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Watson.'s homepage  Reply with quote
I actually used to hate Dance Music!

When I was about 14/15 (So 4 or 5 years ago), my mates used to listen to Clubland/Floorfillers etc, which was what originally got me into Dance music. I actually couldn't stand Dance music until this point. I still remember moaning in my younger days when people would go past in their cars and I'd mock the "boom, boom, boom" sound of bass coming from them. Of course, that's now my that will be mocked for doing so, but we'll return to that later.

So - Here I am, around 15 years old. Only just got into Dance music. I borrow my pals CD (Clubland 6 it was), and take it home for a listen. I can still remember listening to Hungry Eyes by Eyeopener almost non stop *cringes*.

After that, I bought a few more, Clubland 7, Floorfillers, Gatecrasher etc. Although I found them good, they just didn't quite do it for me. I needed something faster and harder sounding. The tracks were just too cheesy and pop like for me.

Then one day, I was watching the music channels on TV. I seen an advert for Clubland Extreme Hardcore, so i thought I would go and buy it. Perhaps this would do it for me. So I went down the high street during my exam leave and bought it. I'm pretty sure I got the last copy in Kirkcaldy, I couldn't find it anywhere, only got it by chance in WH Smith. I went home, listened to it and certainly got far more listening pleasure out of this than I'd had before. "Fade Away" by Scott Brown & DMO became my first ever favourite Hardcore track. It remains one of my favorites to this day.

A month later, I bought Bonkers 14. I listened to Scott Brown's mix and that was me hooked. I've been listening to Hardcore ever since. Now I'm the one driving around with the music blasting and the bass there for all to hear. I just wonder how many of those 10 year olds mocking me for it will end up doing the same in a few years time.

Edited by - Watson. on 2008/12/29 19:44:04
SPOOX
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,644 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:45:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SPOOX's homepage  Reply with quote
My older cousin got me into the scene when i was 10 in 1990. He was always recording me tapes which i played pretty much non-stop. I started listening to pirate radio & recording the shows.
Finally got decks in 1993 at the age of 13. Although they were only belt drive it was something to practice on.
I used to go wash cars for people to earn money just to buy vinyl & build up my collection. Also spending money on Tape packs & CD's.
Began getting into Jungle / D&B aswell sometime late 93.
At 15 got my 1210s & built a better set-up. Got a part-time job so was spending all my wages on choons & every compilation i could find.
By now i was the person all my mates came to if they wanted to know anything about Hardcore.
1995 started listening to some of the dutch stuff. Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo & Bass-D & King Matthew etc etc.
1996 played at a few mates birthday parties. Went to my first rave in 96 which was Dreamscape 23. Managed to get in with fake ID when i was 16.
Pretty much been the same up to now. Always buying choons or albums. Going raving when i can afford it. Occasionally play at mates parties & things.
Discovered HHC.com in 2006.
Over the last 2 years i've been trying to complete labels by buying every release. Got quite a few completed now.

Edited by - SPOOX on 2008/12/29 19:49:14
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  19:45:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Super condensed version.

Went through House, acid, rave etc.

When the Jungle/Hardcore split started appearing I followed the 4/4 route.

discoredia

United Kingdom
71 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  20:26:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit discoredia's homepage  Reply with quote
Started with tapes in '91 (still got some of them stashed away) and then my first proper rave was Galactica on Ripon Racecourse October '92.

Then went to Uni in Durham and made regular trips up to Newcastle for Judgement Day before moving back home to the middle of nowhere.

Always kept on listening to the tapes and c.d's although it was nearly all Colloseum and After Dark round our way and didn't go out for a few years due to working most weekends.

Finally went back out again to Summer Sensation at Fantasy Island, probably the best night out I've ever had. Followed that with a few Dizstruxshons and Vibealites, plus a few other nights here and there, but haven't been out for a couple of years now.

Still listen to hardcore but I prefer the "Dutch" style and Brisk / Scott Brown's harder stuff to anything Hixxy and co do these days, that old J Day influence is still there!

Not being talented in any way musically I wanted to add something to the scene, that being one of the reasons I based my first novel around it.

(Oops, gone a touch further than "How did your journey....begin" )

Edited by - discoredia on 2008/12/29 20:32:31
Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  20:47:57  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wilky:
quote:
You guys are lucky that you've been into this stuff, for some of you, almost 20 years. If you asked me what a classic tune was, I'd say "Toytown" because I don't know any better =/.

Toytown is a monster classic mate

It may be, but I couldn't name another one.

Have you not heard, tinytots - discoland, bang - shooting star, unique - higher ground, ravers choice - techno wonderland, triple j - have it all? Just a very small selection of cheesey happy hardcore classics that i highly reccommend you youtube mate

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/wilky

This post was made by Spunk Licker
who is currently on your ignore list .
Display this post.

pinkdevil16

United Kingdom
496 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  20:49:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pinkdevil16's homepage  Reply with quote
I havent been into hardcore for very long (still have a huge pile of cds tho) but i first discovered it when i was copying files from my mates computer and she had hardcore euphoria on there so I gave it a listen and loved it so looked it up and discovered all of this :)

Al_X

United Kingdom
112 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  20:49:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Al_X's homepage  Reply with quote
I bought Ibiza History of Trance, really liked it, went on the Warner Dance (the publisher) website, saw Hardcore Nation. Bought it on an impulse buy and as soon as I listened to the first track - Let It Go by Gammer - I just loved it. From then on in I haven't stopped listening.

hardcore anorak
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
971 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  23:47:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit hardcore anorak's homepage  Reply with quote

for me was older friends scooter,tom wilson bass generator etc etc then i bought my first ever hardcore cd called the fubar raveheart was an england vs scotland cd dj dougal vs dj obsession still to this day one of the best hardcore cds ever bought .so got into it about 1995 time

Mental_Adam
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
842 posts
Posted - 2008/12/29 :  23:48:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mental_Adam's homepage  Reply with quote
had heard alot of stuff randomly from early 00s when i first started using internet, wasn't until 2004/2005 when i got into it,

Since late last year in 2007, thats when i pretty much became an oldskool and jungle head after listening to a mixture of different hardcore old and new.

I will note, 1st ever hardcore cds i bought came on the same day through the post.

I think they came on the day i got my gcse results, they were Bonkers 2 and Ultimate Hardcore Collection 6XCD

Edited by - Mental_Adam on 2008/12/29 23:50:55
Jackol

United States
443 posts
Posted - 2008/12/30 :  00:08:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jackol's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
Lets take a little trip back people & have a good think about what got you into this beautiful scene of ours in the first place.

I suppose i'm still a young raver compared to many on here but I was trained in the ways of Hardcore/Rave from a very early age as my Bro made sure of it & without him, I wouldn't be as addicted to Hardcore as I am today.

He would smother me in Hardcore & Old Skool tapes that he was getting from his mates & they were never out of my little Walkman Tape Player (Jengy as we called them) It really is an addiction thats just as strong as it was getting the first tape from him. I was hooked!

I had a paper run since I was in Primary School (96) & I wouldn't start the rounds without my trusty Jengy & my Hardcore tapes. It was a great wake up call to jump out of bed, jump on my little Trek bike, throw on those big headphones we used to have & fly round my run like a hardcore bat out of hell!

I also have an early memory of sitting on the Primary School Bus & asking someone in the year above me if they had any Hardcore albums in the Library & one guy had just given Bonkers 2 back. Having no money at the time, what so ever, I went to the Library after school, got an account, borrowed Bonkers 2 & they never saw me again! I still have that Bonkers CD to this day back when the CD's were all one big track. I preferred em like that!

Well, I could write an essay on what got me started on this hardcore journey but i'd love to hear how you lot got involved instead. What is it that grabbed hold of you like no other Genre of Music?

Also, here's a little old skool Hardcore mix which sums up what old skool hardcore means to me! Its only 30mins long so will get you in the old skool mood The first track on the mix was the first Hardcore Vinyl I ever bought & always takes me back!

Ken Masters pres Old Skool Classics Vol 2

http://www.4shared.com/file/56167140/c6af08a4/DJ_Ken_Masters_pres_Old_Skool_Classics_vol_2.html

can i get the tracklist?
there's a few tracks in here i really like that i haven't heard.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2008/12/30 :  01:03:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
I got introduced to it technically when my older sister came back from being a foriegn exhange student in northern ireland and played me smart e's =P

didn't get to experience the raving side of it till '94 when I was an exchange student in holland.

best...summer...ever

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2008/12/30 :  02:35:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
Walking through Wal-Mart, saw Happy2bHardcore Chapter 4. Here I am now.

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2008/12/30 :  04:39:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage  Reply with quote
I can't even remember the first 'Hardcore' track I listened too, all I remember is I got into it all in the early 2000s.

I listened to Hip Hop and Rap in the late 90s, got into Punk Rock in 2000, then shortly after that I heard something being played at a live set. Asked the DJ what the hell he was playing, he just told me Hardcore.

Went on the interwebz, and discovered the world of Hardcore! Still don't know what track he was playing.

Wish I had friends/family who was into this stuff back in the 90s. But, they where either all old rock, or rap! I'm the only one in my family that listens to this stuff, feel odd at family get-to-getters and no one knows what the hell I'm listening to!

The Past, The Present, The Future (CD One)
The Past, The Present, The Future (CD Two)

Edited by - TheOneNOnly on 2008/12/30 04:41:15

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 7 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.75 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page