Total online 1838
 Radio listeners 168+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 people dont really do reviews of nights on here...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
skarr ....so thought id do 1,
NTWICH in bristol last weekend, big props 2 the promoters for puttin it on 1st of all, no disrespect intended, but the sound system in the mian room was shit, dougal and gammer were crap, dont get me wrong, gammer proved why he gets voted best dj every year, but the set could of been a lot better, mc storm completely ruined it and just before he came on,, (think it was d i ice and realitys set, which was a really good set), mc enemy was spouting some lyric that ended in '**** future world' n him n storm big fisted each other, proper made me laugh, joey riot was ok but nothin spectacular but never been a massive fan of lethal theory anyway, squad absolutely smashed it tune wise but he looked bored and tired and like he couldnt be bothered and didnt even really nod his head, and hes put loads of weight on, but more importantly where the **** do all those women come from???? cause i know a few girls that listen to hardcore but none of them look like that, didnt know where to look at some points, lol
skarr what we really really need, is a night with no mc's whatsoever, i think it would change the scene and peoples views.....
skarr even the last ILHB i went to, the mc's completely ruined it, every time they mc'd the music went really quiet and u were just waiting for them 2 finish
jordesuvi
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
what we really really need, is a night with no mc's whatsoever, i think it would change the scene and peoples views.....

You have all of my support on this. I'm not dismissing an MC's talent but they're heavily attached to the chav stigma which isn't a positive contribution towards hardcore. I've mentioned before I'd rather listen to a lead/drop/breakdown. Whilst I respect the MC's skill I came to the hardcore rave to listen to hardcore.

Live MC's also don't suit hardcore, it's like having an MC for progressive house. You just wouldn't?
For rap/grime/dubstep/trap/bass (jackin) house and the wubbier D&B, sure.
They can feature on a hardcore track, whatever. I just don't like them at shows.

Bad Corey I don't really mind MCs too much when it comes to live recordings, especially Sharkey, that man has THE voice of hardcore. But when I went to HTID USA and got to experience Whizzkid live, I found it a bit pointless. He did a fantastic job hyping the crowd, but the music was so loud that every time he got on the mic to rap, I couldn't understand a lick of it.

It reminded me a bit of a Krewella show I went to a few years back. The whole formula was basically:

*girl yelling incomprehensibly on mic*
*crowd screams*
*more incomprehensible yelling* "CHICAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
*crowd screams louder*
ConnerIntenzifi
quote:
mc enemy was spouting some lyric that ended in '**** future world' n him n storm big fisted each other

Stuff like that sums up the state of hardcore right now. Most of this childish hatred seems to stem from gtym followers, its embarrassing, keyes should be having a word with him. No wonder hardcore is on its arse. I promote events in Scotland & hearing stuff like that instantly puts enemy on the never getting booked list
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
quote:
mc enemy was spouting some lyric that ended in '**** future world' n him n storm big fisted each other

Stuff like that sums up the state of hardcore right now. Most of this childish hatred seems to stem from gtym followers, its embarrassing, keyes should be having a word with him. No wonder hardcore is on its arse. I promote events in Scotland & hearing stuff like that instantly puts enemy on the never getting booked list

TBH it seems like the MCs are the ones mostly fueling the fire on both sides. So just simply ban MCs from your events and it's all good! I sure hope that being able to listen to the music doesn't frighten the average raver and wonder where all the obnoxious vocals are.

It really is a trip that these are the djs and mcs that they keep booking even though they act like scum. Well hopefully FW and GTYM go after each other and destroy each other, all while Jon and the rest of HU sit back and be like

or for a more popular gif,

The drunken scotsman Why does everyone on here seem to hate the idea of MC's? Sure, some of them aren't very good and tend to act like arseholes, but generally speaking I think they add a lot of atmosphere to live events. Surely this is the popular belief or promoters wouldn't bother paying them to perform every weekend. Personally I think live events would be pretty boring if it wasn't for MC's.
Claxton If that Ememy/Storm thing actually happened and it was how you interpreted it, then I despair!

There are some people within this scene who genuinely don't see how venomous they are and how they're splitting the scene. Anyway, I'm not even going to get started because it angers me so much and I could go in forever!
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
Anyway, I'm not even going to get started because it angers me so much and I could go in forever!

please do! it'll keep things around here going, even though we've had this discussion over and over lol
The drunken scotsman The division within the scene really seems to be highlighted by the upcoming new year events. It's getting to the point where there are now (at least) two separate hardcore scenes. Far too many small minded politics and its just got out of hand.
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Why does everyone on here seem to hate the idea of MC's?

I don't hate all MCs, some of them are good, and I don't completely hate the idea of MCs, but what I don't like is the idea that they're actually that necessary at raves, and the form that MCs in UK hardcore take.

No other electronic genre does an MC take on as much of a role as in UK hardcore. Usually MCs serve as hosts and present the next act as well as close out each act, and also throw in a few words here and there to hype up the crowd. This is the case for MCs in hardstyle and gabber hardcore. Nowhere else but UK hardcore do you have an MC come and take every opportunity they get to try and impress us as being some sort of badass lyricist. The UK hardcore scene has been fueling the egos of MCs and all that's done is develop them into thinking they're a necessary aspect to the scene when in reality they are extremely expendable.

The UK hardcore scenes in North America, Australia, and many other places around the world manage to survive without the need of an MC, so how could anyone in the UK think their scene won't be able to cope without them? All you need for an amazing time at a rave is a good venue, a good bar, some lights, and some great music and DJs who know how to bring alive said music. If you feel that you can't do without an MC at a live event, then either the DJ isn't peaking your interest because of his/her djing skills and/or the tracklist, or you were never really that committed to the music in the first place.

Also, it's been stated a few times here that MCs have been responsible for what the end results of many tracks has been. Producers have had to go back and re-work their tracks just to leave enough room for the MCs to spew their shit in the middle of the tracks when they're played live. Imagine how some of the music would change if producers did what they want to do with their own tracks and not have to take into account any MC influence.
Hard2Get
quote:
The division within the scene really seems to be highlighted by the upcoming new year events. It's getting to the point where there are now (at least) two separate hardcore scenes. Far too many small minded politics and its just got out of hand.

Good. The sooner the distasteful people of the scene bugger off and do their own thing the better.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:

I don't hate all MCs, some of them are good, and I don't completely hate the idea of MCs, but what I don't like is the idea that they're actually that necessary at raves, and the form that MCs in UK hardcore take.

No other electronic genre does an MC take on as much of a role as in UK hardcore. Usually MCs serve as hosts and present the next act as well as close out each act, and also throw in a few words here and there to hype up the crowd. This is the case for MCs in hardstyle and gabber hardcore. Nowhere else but UK hardcore do you have an MC come and take every opportunity they get to try and impress us as being some sort of badass lyricist. The UK hardcore scene has been fueling the egos of MCs and all that's done is develop them into thinking they're a necessary aspect to the scene when in reality they are extremely expendable.

The UK hardcore scenes in North America, Australia, and many other places around the world manage to survive without the need of an MC, so how could anyone in the UK think their scene won't be able to cope without them? All you need for an amazing time at a rave is a good venue, a good bar, some lights, and some great music and DJs who know how to bring alive said music. If you feel that you can't do without an MC at a live event, then either the DJ isn't peaking your interest because of his/her djing skills and/or the tracklist, or you were never really that committed to the music in the first place.

Also, it's been stated a few times here that MCs have been responsible for what the end results of many tracks has been. Producers have had to go back and re-work their tracks just to leave enough room for the MCs to spew their shit in the middle of the tracks when they're played live. Imagine how some of the music would change if producers did what they want to do with their own tracks and not have to take into account any MC influence.

Fair dos, can see your point.
I don't feel like I couldn't do without an MC, but I think a whole night of hardcore music wouldn't be the same if there were no MC's at all. Perhaps that's just because I'm so used to them.
Only a couple of months ago Darren Styles played in my hometown without an MC and I thouroughly enjoyed his set - but that wasn't an all night rave playing strictly hardcore.

Hard2Get I don't think MC's as they were in the 90's and early 2000's are a problem. Things are very different now. Their role has changed somewhat.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
The division within the scene really seems to be highlighted by the upcoming new year events. It's getting to the point where there are now (at least) two separate hardcore scenes. Far too many small minded politics and its just got out of hand.

Good. The sooner the distasteful people of the scene bugger off and do their own thing the better.

Agreed to an extent. The problem happens when they take half of the fan base with them - Half of what is already an extremely small number.
Captain Triceps
quote:

I'd like to think this is something that happened maybe once or twice as a suggestion or something, and a rumour started that it was constantly being forced upon producers. I just can't see that many of them bowing to the MC's like that. I could be wrong of course. I'd be telling them to fuck off, unless it was a valid suggestion and helped the track.
I don't mind MC's as such, some of my most favourite sets wouldn't be the same without the MC, but they should be appropriate. If the DJ is playing happy hardcore, don't spout about life in the ghetto and smacking up rivals. It's ridiculous.
skarr
quote:
If that Ememy/Storm thing actually happened and it was how you interpreted it, then I despair!

are u trying to suggest that i just made it up?... hold on maybe it was a dream... no, no, it definately happened, and it was exactly how i interpreted it, and some1 mentioned something about chavs, i have never seen so much trouble in 1 night in all my years of clubbing, must of been at least 6 fights, people proper getting there faces smashed in for no reason by coked up steriod freaks, mc storm had 2 stop dougal and gammers set at 1 point and jump into the crowd to split a fight up because the security couldnt handle it, big ups 2 him for that 1 though.......
_Jay_
quote:

Very, very good post.

skarr and also there was a weddin proposal half way through a set enemy was mc'in on, ( again think it was d ice and reality) and just as the woman said yes and they started to kiss, enemy told them to 'get the **** off the stage now'
_Jay_

Sounds like a lovely chap.

Thumpa Haha this is probably why there aren't any reviews of raves anymore...there used to be a few every week on ush!

What music did everyone play? I'm meant to be playing classic freeform at the next one! Good crowd?
skarr it was a decent crowd after about 4am when all the wankers ****ed off, but before that it was very shady, my friend bekki got a plastic bottle threw at her head which some meat head aimed to throw at some guy, i was very concerned for my own and my friends safety at a lot of points, had 2 leave the dancefloor a few times because of this
skarr and in terms of music, it was ok but not great, must of been about 7-8 tunes that every single dj's played
skarr i am really not tryin to bad mouth mouth this night or the promoters, they cleaely put a lot of love and effort into it, it just seems that hardcore nights nowdays attract way 2 many dick heads
The drunken scotsman
quote:
it was a decent crowd after about 4am when all the wankers ****ed off, but before that it was very shady, my friend bekki got a plastic bottle threw at her head which some meat head aimed to throw at some guy, i was very concerned for my own and my friends safety at a lot of points, had 2 leave the dancefloor a few times because of this

Pisses me off that. There always seems to be at least a small number of wankers at every rave. Not arsed about the music, just there to cause trouble.
I remember a rave I went to in Coalville about 10 years ago, was one of the worst atmospheres I've ever seen anywhere in my life. An extremely high number of arseholes hellbent on causing bother, I seen at least 2 fights and it seemed that everyone I walked past had to barge into me. We ended up leaving early to sit in the bus station, it was that bad.
Claxton I have to say, I've been raving since 08 and I've never felt unsafe or threatened at a rave. Nor have I ever had anything but positive interactions with people.

I think I've seen about 3 fights at raves in that whole times and I average in excess of 10 every year.

You've obviously been unlucky with this encounter.

I know the promoter of this night and he's a very good lad!!

I wasn't suggesting that you were lying what so ever; just merely that the intention behind the words might have been different to what you thought or that you misheard over a loud sound system. Obviously not because you seem very sure about it.
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed to an extent. The problem happens when they take half of the fan base with them - Half of what is already an extremely small number.

Yeah the half that don't appreciate the good Hardcore anyway.

quote:
I average in excess of 10 every year.

Fights or raves?

Haha just kidding.

quote:
I have to say, I've been raving since 08 and I've never felt unsafe or threatened at a rave. Nor have I ever had anything but positive interactions with people.

Yeah that's generally still the case although still nowhere near as friendly as they used to be. Although I'm talking bigger raves actually.
Claxton I really hope that HTID book Outforce or Rescue for HTID ITS. Not because I particularly want to see any of them play but simply because it would be an important step towards bringing the scene back together again and it would show that HTID are above all the nonsense.
Claxton
quote:
Fights or raves?

Haha just kidding.

Haaaaa!! Incidentally, I've never been involved in a fight in my life so perhaps I'm just more prone at staying away from trouble. Although I do have a very punchable face.

skarr
quote:
I have to say, I've been raving since 08 and I've never felt unsafe or threatened at a rave. Nor have I ever had anything but positive interactions with people.

I think I've seen about 3 fights at raves in that whole times and I average in excess of 10 every year.

You've obviously been unlucky with this encounter.

I know the promoter of this night and he's a very good lad!!

I wasn't suggesting that you were lying what so ever; just merely that the intention behind the words might have been different to what you thought or that you misheard over a loud sound system. Obviously not because you seem very sure about it.

i definitely didnt mishear it, it just made me laugh how storm big fisted him then mc'd over dougal and gammers set straight after
Hard2Get
quote:
Haaaaa!! Incidentally, I've never been involved in a fight in my life so perhaps I'm just more prone at staying away from trouble. Although I do have a very punchable face.

Nor me. Not interested.
quote:
i definitely didnt mishear it, it just made me laugh how storm big fisted him then mc'd over dougal and gammers set straight after

What is this term? Presumably Storm didn't actually fist anyone.
Elliott
quote:
quote:
If that Ememy/Storm thing actually happened and it was how you interpreted it, then I despair!

are u trying to suggest that i just made it up?... hold on maybe it was a dream... no, no, it definately happened, and it was exactly how i interpreted it, and some1 mentioned something about chavs, i have never seen so much trouble in 1 night in all my years of clubbing, must of been at least 6 fights, people proper getting there faces smashed in for no reason by coked up steriod freaks, mc storm had 2 stop dougal and gammers set at 1 point and jump into the crowd to split a fight up because the security couldnt handle it, big ups 2 him for that 1 though.......

Fair play. He just went up in my estimation by a small but not imperceptible amount.
wong he's still a massive c*nt though
The drunken scotsman Storm is always stopping trouble at raves when he's on the stage. There's been countless times I've seen him stop the music and jump into the crowd to stop arseholes fighting....

But yes he's still a massive bell end.
Hard2Get Can't imagine why anyone would want to go to a rave where the kind of idiots gather that it's actually necessary to stop them.
latininxtc
quote:
Can't imagine why anyone would want to go to a rave where the kind of idiots gather that it's actually necessary to stop them.

The same reason why people don't stop living in war-torn countries. You don't give up on life and the things you like just because a few bad apples may make your experiences miserable.

I remember when I was telling everyone about going to my trip to Mexico last year everyone gave me hell saying they're gonna kidnap me and kill me. That didn't stop me from going. I love to travel and danger can lurk everywhere you go. And I made it back home safely. Sure I went to Cancun and surrounding area, which are currently the safest areas of Mexico right now. But still anything could have happened to me and my cousin.

My mom is in Mexico right now and she's making a stop in the city where they kidnapped, murdered, and burned the bodies of 40+ students and teachers protesting on the lack of any action from the mayor. But she still went through there because she has parents who live a 6hr drive away from Mexico City in the middle of nowhere that are alone and she went to see how they're doing and help them financially. I would hate to be one of those people who give up going to certain places or doing certain things just because there's a slim chance of something happening when there's an even greater chance of nothing ever happening.
Hard2Get Oh i didn't mean because i think there is any risk of anything happening. It's generally just idiots fighting amongst themselves.
latininxtc
quote:
Oh i didn't mean because i think there is any risk of anything happening. It's generally just idiots fighting amongst themselves.

well everyone loves a good trainwreck! Well, I do at least lol

It's one of the things I loved seeing in Spain 2 yrs ago, ppl making a mess of themselves lol
Captain Triceps
quote:
The same reason why people don't stop living in war-torn countries.

Sierra Leone, Chad and Zimbabwe are bloody lucky they don't have a UK hardcore scene, really.
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
The same reason why people don't stop living in war-torn countries.

Sierra Leone, Chad and Zimbabwe are bloody lucky they don't have a UK hardcore scene, really.

You forgot Somalia!

Oh, but they must have one!

Let us send some "top-tier" talent over there to try and start some! We should have MC Storm, MC Enemy, Keyes MC, MC Whizzkid, Breeze, Klubfiller, Ramos, Chris Unknown, and Squad-E sent there immediately to bring UK hardcore to the slums of Africa!
trippnface
quote:
quote:

yes :D
skarr
quote:
I really hope that HTID book Outforce or Rescue for HTID ITS. Not because I particularly want to see any of them play but simply because it would be an important step towards bringing the scene back together again and it would show that HTID are above all the nonsense.

to be honest i think rescuse and outforce are 2 of the best producers around at the minute, not heard 1 bad tune off either of them for a long time, they make simple, uplifting, straight to he point hardcore, and hopefully people will not choose not too book them just cause they part of gtym.
Elliott
quote:
Storm is always stopping trouble at raves when he's on the stage. There's been countless times I've seen him stop the music and jump into the crowd to stop arseholes fighting....

Interesting. Regardless of his questionable personality, you can't help but have a certain level of respect for him for that. Scene politics are unimportant compared to looking out for people's physical safety.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
Storm is always stopping trouble at raves when he's on the stage. There's been countless times I've seen him stop the music and jump into the crowd to stop arseholes fighting....

Interesting. Regardless of his questionable personality, you can't help but have a certain level of respect for him for that. Scene politics are unimportant compared to looking out for people's physical safety.

Yes, although you can't help but think he's doing it for himself and his massive ego rather than the safety of people at the events - it's like he's trying to assert some kind of authority.
Elliott
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, although you can't help but think he's doing it for himself and his massive ego rather than the safety of people at the events - it's like he's trying to assert some kind of authority.

Hmm. That's another way of looking at it. Given his rather sizeable ego, it doesn't seem out of the question!
skarr
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hmm. That's another way of looking at it. Given his rather sizeable ego, it doesn't seem out of the question!

to be fair what u gotta remember is hardcore raves r his life, he has never known or never will know anythin else, he stops fights cause fights r what ruin raves, i.e his career, it takes a lot guts to jump into fight between 2 meat heads, would u do that yourself? cause i certainly wouldnt.....

It took 2.5 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page