Total online 1718
 Radio listeners 185+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 people dont really do reviews of nights on here...
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
skarr
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
527 posts
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  11:41:20  Show profile Send a private message
....so thought id do 1,
NTWICH in bristol last weekend, big props 2 the promoters for puttin it on 1st of all, no disrespect intended, but the sound system in the mian room was shit, dougal and gammer were crap, dont get me wrong, gammer proved why he gets voted best dj every year, but the set could of been a lot better, mc storm completely ruined it and just before he came on,, (think it was d i ice and realitys set, which was a really good set), mc enemy was spouting some lyric that ended in '**** future world' n him n storm big fisted each other, proper made me laugh, joey riot was ok but nothin spectacular but never been a massive fan of lethal theory anyway, squad absolutely smashed it tune wise but he looked bored and tired and like he couldnt be bothered and didnt even really nod his head, and hes put loads of weight on, but more importantly where the **** do all those women come from???? cause i know a few girls that listen to hardcore but none of them look like that, didnt know where to look at some points, lol

Alert moderator
skarr
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
527 posts
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  11:42:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit skarr's homepage
what we really really need, is a night with no mc's whatsoever, i think it would change the scene and peoples views.....

Alert moderator Go to top of page
skarr
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
527 posts
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  11:45:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit skarr's homepage
even the last ILHB i went to, the mc's completely ruined it, every time they mc'd the music went really quiet and u were just waiting for them 2 finish

Edited by - skarr on 2014/12/13 11:45:32
jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  14:43:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by skarr:
what we really really need, is a night with no mc's whatsoever, i think it would change the scene and peoples views.....

You have all of my support on this. I'm not dismissing an MC's talent but they're heavily attached to the chav stigma which isn't a positive contribution towards hardcore. I've mentioned before I'd rather listen to a lead/drop/breakdown. Whilst I respect the MC's skill I came to the hardcore rave to listen to hardcore.

Live MC's also don't suit hardcore, it's like having an MC for progressive house. You just wouldn't?
For rap/grime/dubstep/trap/bass (jackin) house and the wubbier D&B, sure.
They can feature on a hardcore track, whatever. I just don't like them at shows.

Bad Corey
Average Member

United States
235 posts
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  15:12:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bad Corey's homepage
I don't really mind MCs too much when it comes to live recordings, especially Sharkey, that man has THE voice of hardcore. But when I went to HTID USA and got to experience Whizzkid live, I found it a bit pointless. He did a fantastic job hyping the crowd, but the music was so loud that every time he got on the mic to rap, I couldn't understand a lick of it.

It reminded me a bit of a Krewella show I went to a few years back. The whole formula was basically:

*girl yelling incomprehensibly on mic*
*crowd screams*
*more incomprehensible yelling* "CHICAGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
*crowd screams louder*

Edited by - Bad Corey on 2014/12/13 18:32:52
ConnerIntenzifi

United Kingdom
112 posts
ConnerIntenzifi has attended 8 events
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  17:36:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ConnerIntenzifi's homepage
quote:
mc enemy was spouting some lyric that ended in '**** future world' n him n storm big fisted each other

Stuff like that sums up the state of hardcore right now. Most of this childish hatred seems to stem from gtym followers, its embarrassing, keyes should be having a word with him. No wonder hardcore is on its arse. I promote events in Scotland & hearing stuff like that instantly puts enemy on the never getting booked list

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/12/13 :  23:08:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
quote:
mc enemy was spouting some lyric that ended in '**** future world' n him n storm big fisted each other

Stuff like that sums up the state of hardcore right now. Most of this childish hatred seems to stem from gtym followers, its embarrassing, keyes should be having a word with him. No wonder hardcore is on its arse. I promote events in Scotland & hearing stuff like that instantly puts enemy on the never getting booked list

TBH it seems like the MCs are the ones mostly fueling the fire on both sides. So just simply ban MCs from your events and it's all good! I sure hope that being able to listen to the music doesn't frighten the average raver and wonder where all the obnoxious vocals are.

It really is a trip that these are the djs and mcs that they keep booking even though they act like scum. Well hopefully FW and GTYM go after each other and destroy each other, all while Jon and the rest of HU sit back and be like

or for a more popular gif,

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  08:50:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
Why does everyone on here seem to hate the idea of MC's? Sure, some of them aren't very good and tend to act like arseholes, but generally speaking I think they add a lot of atmosphere to live events. Surely this is the popular belief or promoters wouldn't bother paying them to perform every weekend. Personally I think live events would be pretty boring if it wasn't for MC's.

Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  09:05:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage
If that Ememy/Storm thing actually happened and it was how you interpreted it, then I despair!

There are some people within this scene who genuinely don't see how venomous they are and how they're splitting the scene. Anyway, I'm not even going to get started because it angers me so much and I could go in forever!

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  09:18:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
Anyway, I'm not even going to get started because it angers me so much and I could go in forever!

please do! it'll keep things around here going, even though we've had this discussion over and over lol

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  09:29:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
The division within the scene really seems to be highlighted by the upcoming new year events. It's getting to the point where there are now (at least) two separate hardcore scenes. Far too many small minded politics and its just got out of hand.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  09:41:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Why does everyone on here seem to hate the idea of MC's?

I don't hate all MCs, some of them are good, and I don't completely hate the idea of MCs, but what I don't like is the idea that they're actually that necessary at raves, and the form that MCs in UK hardcore take.

No other electronic genre does an MC take on as much of a role as in UK hardcore. Usually MCs serve as hosts and present the next act as well as close out each act, and also throw in a few words here and there to hype up the crowd. This is the case for MCs in hardstyle and gabber hardcore. Nowhere else but UK hardcore do you have an MC come and take every opportunity they get to try and impress us as being some sort of badass lyricist. The UK hardcore scene has been fueling the egos of MCs and all that's done is develop them into thinking they're a necessary aspect to the scene when in reality they are extremely expendable.

The UK hardcore scenes in North America, Australia, and many other places around the world manage to survive without the need of an MC, so how could anyone in the UK think their scene won't be able to cope without them? All you need for an amazing time at a rave is a good venue, a good bar, some lights, and some great music and DJs who know how to bring alive said music. If you feel that you can't do without an MC at a live event, then either the DJ isn't peaking your interest because of his/her djing skills and/or the tracklist, or you were never really that committed to the music in the first place.

Also, it's been stated a few times here that MCs have been responsible for what the end results of many tracks has been. Producers have had to go back and re-work their tracks just to leave enough room for the MCs to spew their shit in the middle of the tracks when they're played live. Imagine how some of the music would change if producers did what they want to do with their own tracks and not have to take into account any MC influence.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  09:48:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
The division within the scene really seems to be highlighted by the upcoming new year events. It's getting to the point where there are now (at least) two separate hardcore scenes. Far too many small minded politics and its just got out of hand.

Good. The sooner the distasteful people of the scene bugger off and do their own thing the better.

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  10:03:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
Why does everyone on here seem to hate the idea of MC's?

I don't hate all MCs, some of them are good, and I don't completely hate the idea of MCs, but what I don't like is the idea that they're actually that necessary at raves, and the form that MCs in UK hardcore take.

No other electronic genre does an MC take on as much of a role as in UK hardcore. Usually MCs serve as hosts and present the next act as well as close out each act, and also throw in a few words here and there to hype up the crowd. This is the case for MCs in hardstyle and gabber hardcore. Nowhere else but UK hardcore do you have an MC come and take every opportunity they get to try and impress us as being some sort of badass lyricist. The UK hardcore scene has been fueling the egos of MCs and all that's done is develop them into thinking they're a necessary aspect to the scene when in reality they are extremely expendable.

The UK hardcore scenes in North America, Australia, and many other places around the world manage to survive without the need of an MC, so how could anyone in the UK think their scene won't be able to cope without them? All you need for an amazing time at a rave is a good venue, a good bar, some lights, and some great music and DJs who know how to bring alive said music. If you feel that you can't do without an MC at a live event, then either the DJ isn't peaking your interest because of his/her djing skills and/or the tracklist, or you were never really that committed to the music in the first place.

Also, it's been stated a few times here that MCs have been responsible for what the end results of many tracks has been. Producers have had to go back and re-work their tracks just to leave enough room for the MCs to spew their shit in the middle of the tracks when they're played live. Imagine how some of the music would change if producers did what they want to do with their own tracks and not have to take into account any MC influence.

Fair dos, can see your point.
I don't feel like I couldn't do without an MC, but I think a whole night of hardcore music wouldn't be the same if there were no MC's at all. Perhaps that's just because I'm so used to them.
Only a couple of months ago Darren Styles played in my hometown without an MC and I thouroughly enjoyed his set - but that wasn't an all night rave playing strictly hardcore.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  10:05:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
I don't think MC's as they were in the 90's and early 2000's are a problem. Things are very different now. Their role has changed somewhat.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2014/12/14 10:06:53
The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/12/14 :  10:08:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:

Good. The sooner the distasteful people of the scene bugger off and do their own thing the better.

Agreed to an extent. The problem happens when they take half of the fan base with them - Half of what is already an extremely small number.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.45 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page