Radio listeners 177+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 HH.com Production Competition 2015 - VOTING CLOSED

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Ken Masters Voting is now closed! Thanks to everyone who took the time to get involved & vote :) Competition results F/C..

It's voting time people! Big thank you to everyone who took time to support & get involved in the competition. It's one thing remixing a track but another thing to work with nothing but vocals. The overall standard of production is seriously good so well done to everyone & good luck!

I'd also like to say a quick thank you to my brother Chris, Allison & Bridson for their help in creating the vocals in the first place, & to the boss man Silver for his continued support in allowing us to run these comps/projects. Finally to the guys at HU & Scarred Digital for donating prizes & being generally loveable fellows :)

Quick recap for anyone who missed the previous stages of the comp. We held a lyric writing comp first. Myself, Allison & Bridson went on to create original vocals from the winning lyrics. Using these vocals the producers had to create & submit a track. Now we're looking to find out which is the best & who will win all those lovely prizes :)

Which entry has caught your attention? Who has complimented the vocals in the best possible way? Let's find out! In the interests of fairness, all tracks will remain anonymous until the winner has been revealed. When picking your favourites please bare in mind that the winning track will go onto receive full professional mastering & that there is a real variety in the overall track volume levels :)

How to Vote:

- Exact same voting system as last year guys. I want you to pick your 2 favourite tracks.

- Your FIRST favourite track & your SECOND favourite track. Your FIRST favourite will receive 2 points & your SECOND favourite will receive 1 point. The track that receives the most points overall wins. Simple.

- When casting your vote please clearly state which track is your FIRST favourite & which is your SECOND.

- CHOOSING A SECOND FAVOURITE IS COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. IF YOU'D RATHER VOTE ONLY ONE TRACK, AWARDING IT 2PTS, THEN THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FINE.

- Send all votes to me through private message or alternatively email to [email protected] before 30th April

Check out the 15 tracks here: https://soundcloud.com/ppfproject

*PRIZES!*

Myself & the guys at Hardcore Underground & Scarred Digital have kindly donated some prizes to the comp. The winner will receive:

- A signed Fracus & Darwin 'Filth & Dumb Hatred' Canvas.
- A signed Fracus & Darwin 'Filth & Dumb Hatred' CD Album.
- A choice of any 2 CD albums from the HU Store.
- A choice of 3 Scarred Digital MP3/WAV Tracks from their back catalogue.
- Professional track and vocal Mastering.
- Track featuring exclusively on the next free members album 'The Past. The Present. The Future 2015'.

Ken Masters Can I just say, there's no rush to pick your favourites. It's not an easy thing to do! Please take your time & give every entry some time & attention :)
Dys7 Awesome! Thanks so much dude :) Really looking forward to hearing all the entries.
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
Awesome! Thanks so much dude :) Really looking forward to hearing all the entries.

Pleasure! It's great to see everyone got behind the idea & it all came together so well :)
Claxton Just listened to the first 3. There is some excellent talent out there!! Superb!!
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
Just listened to the first 3. There is some excellent talent out there!! Superb!!

The response to this years comp's been unreal mate. We've got quite a fight on our hands!
Captain Triceps Could have had a full EP with a few of the entries here, some really decent stuff.
djDMS Looking forward to getting some time to listen to all of these
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Looking forward to getting some time to listen to all of these

Turned out to be perfect amount for selecting a winner through votes :) Enough to make a real competition of it, but any more & it would become a bit of a mission to get through!
Triquatra Can you vote for just one?
Elipton I ****ed up
djDMS
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
Can you vote for just one?

You saying they're all shite except one Rowan?
Triquatra Haha, no! Just curious!
trippnface some seriously good stuff.. guna have to listen to a few of these over & over :)
Bad Corey The majority of these are really good. I really enjoy the handful of tracks that throw back to the early trancecore days in the early 2000's. There's a couple that are both odd and charming, and a few that are just odd. There's a couple that suffer from poor vocal timing that really detracts from an otherwise decent production. There's a few that I otherwise don't care for but have redeeming qualities. There's some that are decent ideas but are a bit under-produced. There is also one or two that I strongly don't care for. Overall, this contest really has the whole gamut here, I'm really excited to see what the results are.
Ken Masters
quote:
Can you vote for just one?

Feel free! If anyone would rather choose just one favorite & award that track 2pts then its not a problem.

With such a varied selection & large number of entries I figured its fairer to give 2 tracks a mention. However if there's one track you love & want to give it the best chance of winning then by all means 😊
Captain Triceps I might spoil my first vote and just award one point to a second place.
Hard2Get The standard of production has increased quite a lot since the last comps!
Mansy Looking forward to going through these and seeing what people have done with it. I couldnt really put anything tkgether on time but im definetly on the next one :D Well done to everyone who enterd.
SparkzMusic Some great entries there.

There isn't 1 entry I can call "crap". Some perhaps need help with mastering or could have had a thing or 2 added to them but overall the quality is very high and everyone has done a top job.

From hearing, there's just 1 entry, 2 at most that possibly have vocal issues. What we have to remember is there is no original version. The vocals can be put anywhere in the track and as long as they sound right on top of a metronome and match the chords, the timing is correct as a standalone track. On my first play of all tracks I thought at least 4 remixes were off. That was due to playing down the list from track 1 so by time I hit the tracks in question, they sounded "off" because of the placement I was used to hearing. Later I came back to them when my ears were cleared and found no timing problems.

Definitely will be hard to choose what entry to vote for so I may just put all track numbers in a box and pick 2 out. Loving the variety of sounds
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
The standard of production has increased quite a lot since the last comps!

Definitely. It's great to see the comp & PPF projects gaining real momentum :)

The lyric stage was a gamble but it's paid off & what we're left with is an extremely varied selection of entries, all completely site made which is cool.
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
Some great entries there.

There isn't 1 entry I can call "crap". Some perhaps need help with mastering or could have had a thing or 2 added to them but overall the quality is very high and everyone has done a top job.

That's what it's all about, giving people of all levels the inspiration to have a go. This is far from an easy comp to win but in the end, everyone's had a chance to create something unique which they can call their own :)
trippnface after much deliberation there is definitely one that strikes my heart more than the others.
deciding the 2nd place spot is much harder though >.>
Dys7
quote:

Definitely will be hard to choose what entry to vote for so I may just put all track numbers in a box and pick 2 out. Loving the variety of sounds

Well that's not quite fair, is it? Why vote for completely random tracks, that's not helpful to the spirit of the contest at all. Everyone has worked super hard to create their song, and it'd be a shame if someone won or lost just because of a random draw.

Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:

Well that's not quite fair, is it? Why vote for completely random tracks, that's not helpful to the spirit of the contest at all. Everyone has worked super hard to create their song, and it'd be a shame if someone won or lost just because of a random draw.

I could be wrong, but I assumed he was joking.
Elliott
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
quote:

Even if he wasn't, if he genuinely liked them all equally, it would be a perfectly logical tiebreak.
AllisonM there was a good turn out with 15 tracks, didnt think there would be that many :) there all good, like the happy hardcore vibe on a lot of them, good luck to all that entered xx
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by AllisonM:
ike the happy hardcore vibe on a lot of them

This!

Interesting, that!
Hard2Get I was surprised how many 90's style ones there were. I thought there would be one or two.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Even if he wasn't, if he genuinely liked them all equally, it would be a perfectly logical tiebreak.

Well, maybe. But if I was to come second for no other reason then that the winner won an extra 2 points at random, I'd be shaking my fist at him!
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, maybe. But if I was to come second for no other reason then that the winner won an extra 2 points at random, I'd be shaking my fist at him!

I'd be shaking more than that at him!
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What, if you didn't come first?

Right, let's not do this...
Bad Corey
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

djDMS Bribes via PM chaps. If the price is right I'll vote for your entry ;-)
Ken Masters ha! You're all bad, bad men!
Hard2Get
quote:
Bribes via PM chaps. If the price is right I'll vote for your entry ;-)

How much will it cost for me to gain entry?
djDMS
quote:
quote:

Free for you, as always
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:

Free for you, as always

Careful. He may be hard 2 get, but he gets 2 hard! Take it from me!

Stop it! You guys are rubbing off on me!
Captain Triceps All over you!
Ken Masters A real variety of votes coming in, this is quite the contest!

Have your say people, get involved :)
Elliott Not a single bad remix in the bunch. Huge variety of styles too (everything from old skool to the super-modern FW/TWR style!). I had a lot of fun listening through them all.

Kind of disappointed I didn't enter now!
djDMS Couple of days and I should have listened to them all enough to form an opinion
Ken Masters
quote:
Couple of days and I should have listened to them all enough to form an opinion

Appreciate the effort sir :) kick back, relax & bask in their magnificence.
Bad Corey Would there be any problem with posting my personal opinions and thoughts on each track in depth, in such a way that it wouldn't reveal which one I was involved in?
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Corey:
in such a way that it wouldn't reveal which one I was involved in?

are 14 of them about to be slated and nitpicked, or just the ones with potential to win? :P :D

;)
Bad Corey Oh I've got critiques for my own track as well haha, I just want to make sure it wouldn't be an issue to post them.
Ken Masters
quote:
Would there be any problem with posting my personal opinions and thoughts on each track in depth, in such a way that it wouldn't reveal which one I was involved in?

Its a good question, I dont see it being a problem really but may be best left till the comps over & we can all give some constructive feedback. What do others think?
SparkzMusic Perhaps its a good idea or maybe just pick 5 that we want to give the constructive feedback to? (Instead of 14 that will show what each person has entered). Then again, it can get so tempting to reply to certain feedback
Captain Triceps I say we should go for it, there's no pressure to comment on every single track, you could leave one on your own, as long as it's positive or constructive I'm all for it - get the comments rolling, I love feedback!
Captain Triceps We should all be mature enough to fulfil that minor task.
SparkzMusic I guess... hahah do we start then Ken?
Ken Masters On second thoughts, please hold out on posting any feedback until comp ends in a couple of weeks. I know you're all eager, & genuinely looking to help, but in the interests of fairness (& to avoid swaying votes) please hold onto your feedback until the winners announced :)
Captain Triceps
djDMS Had a first listen through, some great entries. Will listen more before I confirm my choices.

Oh shit, that was feedback!....
Elliott
quote:
On second thoughts, please hold out on posting any feedback until comp ends in a couple of weeks. I know you're all eager, & genuinely looking to help, but in the interests of fairness (& to avoid swaying votes) please hold onto your feedback until the winners announced :)

Yeah, I've actually felt this way about it all along but when I saw other people doing it, I decided to follow along like a good little sheep.

Samination choosing my 2nd vote was harder, because I only ended up liking one version the most :(
Ken Masters
quote:

Haha! You know it makes sense. Patience people, we can all massage each others egos in a couple of weeks ;)
Ken Masters
quote:
Had a first listen through, some great entries. Will listen more before I confirm my choices.

Oh shit, that was feedback!....

Right! Thats it! You're outta here!
djepi Some really good entries - I'm well beaten :-) but its learning experience for next time.

I couldn't resist waiting so I've left some not very detailed feedback (which is probably useless anyway) on a couple of tracks.

One clear stand out winner for me.

Couldn't believe the quality of the entries. Awesome.
Ken Masters I've received quite a few single vote entries, which can I say again is absolutely fine!

If anyone out there is struggling to choose a SECOND favourite & would rather throw some points at one track only then it's all good.

I just figured with such a vast range of tracks it would be hard to settle on only one. Clearly not. If you guys think there's 2 tracks that deserve some recognition then go for it. If one track deserves all attention then so be it! :)
Ken Masters Couldn't resist a wee tally of the votes so far. Interesting. Very interesting indeed! *grins creepily & rubs hands together*

Oh I'm such a tease! What I will say is, there's many a track in with a shout of winning this. The way it should be!
Ken Masters We are drifting ever closer to the voting deadline people.

Make sure you have your say! Lets find a truly worthy winner :)
Impulse_Response Just voted! Do you plan to continue running these competitions? If I can get a handle on sound design and develop some good production skills then I might try to take part in one at some point.
djDMS There's 3 or 4 serious contenders for my vote, tough decision
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
Just voted! Do you plan to continue running these competitions? If I can get a handle on sound design and develop some good production skills then I might try to take part in one at some point.

Thanks for getting involved :)

I tend to run one every year so the next from me will be around next spring, so until then, keep at it.

Someone could always step up & have a go themselves, possibly through the winter. Wouldn't mind having a go myself ;)
Ken Masters
quote:
There's 3 or 4 serious contenders for my vote, tough decision

Clearly you're not alone in your struggle mate, a real variety of votes coming in!

Ken Masters I see some active members are still to place a vote! Please take a second to get them in guys.

Remember, if you're still struggling to choose two feel free to vote for one only. One track that absolutely stands out from the bunch!
Captain Triceps
quote:
I see some active members are still to place a vote! Please take a second to get them in guys.

Remember, if you're still struggling to choose two feel free to vote for one only. One track that absolutely stands out from the bunch!

Next day or so. I've not had a proper listen since the first couple of days and I didn't want to just nominate two from listening on my phone. I'll get on the case tonight!
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
I see some active members are still to place a vote! Please take a second to get them in guys.

Next day or so. I've not had a proper listen since the first couple of days and I didn't want to just nominate two from listening on my phone. I'll get on the case tonight!

Nice one dude :) Few days left yet, just want to make sure we get as many people involved as possible.
latininxtc What is this? What are we voting on?
Triquatra
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
What is this? What are we voting on?

We're voting on peoples ability to read the first post in the thread.
latininxtc
quote:
quote:

Cool! Who do I send my vote to??
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:

Or the title.
Captain Triceps Done, massive weight off my shoulders, I can finally relax now, time for a well earned drink methinks, phew!!
Hard2Get
quote:
Done, massive weight off my shoulders, I can finally relax now, time for a well earned drink methinks, phew!!

You've definitely earned yourself a 'you' day!
Elipton
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cool! Who do I send my vote to??

becus, 'Murica,
SparkzMusic Will be voting soon. Been away for past week. Will certainly vote before flight away at end of week.

As for future comps between Ken's... I might sort something inbetween (probably June time)
Ken Masters
quote:
As for future comps between Ken's... I might sort something inbetween (probably June time)

Feel free, a year is quite a wait but I just cant take anything else on at the minute!

At least if someone were to run a late summer remix comp, then next year I'll return to the original vocal concept, this was fun :)
Ken Masters 5 days folks. Make sure you have your say!
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:

Feel free, a year is quite a wait but I just cant take anything else on at the minute!

I was sure after the last comp there was talk of having one in between, or a couple a year. Seems an age ago now!
I'm ready for the next one anyway, had the producing bug again these last few weeks.
piumaki I couldnt decide between 3/4 tracks, some really good stuff...anyway I ve chosen my fav 2...good luck! ;)
Ken Masters Out of curiosity, with the winning track receiving full mastering & a release on PPF 2015, what do you guys think should be done with the rest of the submissions?

There are some crackin' tracks there. Do you think it may be worthwhile releasing the second & third placed tracks on a free ep? Sort of a warm up to release of the winning track/PPF 2015?

Would this take something away from the winning track having an exclusive release of its own. I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts on this. After all, they'll all be available to download after the comp anyway. Maybe it would be beneficial to release the runners up in a more credible way.
versia
quote:
Out of curiosity, with the winning track receiving full mastering & a release on PPF 2015, what do you guys think should be done with the rest of the submissions?

There are some crackin' tracks there. Do you think it may be worthwhile releasing the second & third placed tracks on a free ep? Sort of a warm up to release of the winning track/PPF 2015?

Would this take something away from the winning track having an exclusive release of its own. I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts on this. After all, they'll all be available to download after the comp anyway. Maybe it would be beneficial to release the runners up in a more credible way.

If so you would have to get people to remove/replace the original vocal as to not detract from the release of the final winner
Captain Triceps I like the idea. I even half-seriously suggested it a bit ago.
Would be a nice way to stop the other worthy entries being forgotten about before too long.
Ken Masters I just thought id put it out there & see if a runners up EP is worth thinking about. If it were to go ahead it would have to be post PPF release. I wouldn't want to take anything away from the winning track.

The only reason I brought it up is because its such a close competition. The last couple of days could be crucial. This will go down to the wire!

IF YOU'RE STILL TO VOTE, MAKE SURE YOU DON'T MISS THE DEADLINE! Only 2 days left...
Bad Corey I think maybe do a single Winner's release or with the album, and then maybe do a Runner's Up EP with 2nd 3rd and 4th.
Ken Masters
quote:
I think maybe do a single Winner's release or with the album, and then maybe do a Runner's Up EP with 2nd 3rd and 4th.

I think that sounds good, winning track is released first & foremost through the next free PPF album with at least 2nd & 3rd placed released through a well earned free EP, some time after the album release obviously :)
djDMS What's good about the majority of the entries is that they use the vocal in totally different ways. That should mean that subsequent releases won't take anything away from the winner.
Samination
quote:
quote:
I think maybe do a single Winner's release or with the album, and then maybe do a Runner's Up EP with 2nd 3rd and 4th.

I think that sounds good, winning track is released first & foremost through the next free PPF album with at least 2nd & 3rd placed released through a well earned free EP, some time after the album release obviously :)

Wait what? now I wanna change so my top choice gets a free release :P (j/k)
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
quote:

Right! That's it! From now on all albums will be sold. The going rate is one soul per album. Be it your own soul or someone else's, i'm easy.

Please seek bill payer/owners permission before purchase/ceremony.
Samination
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Right! That's it! From now on all albums will be sold. The going rate is one soul per album. Be it your own soul or someone else's, i'm easy.

I don't know who is my owner :(
Bad Corey
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Made too many deals and lost count eh?
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Made too many deals and lost count eh?

LOL!

You're a bad man Sammy, sounds like you've got some "soul" searching to do :P
Dys7
quote:
i'm easy

Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
i'm easy

You just had to do it didn't you!? 2 souls per album for you my friend.

...& let that be a lesson to the rest of you.
Ken Masters Last day people! If you're still to vote, get yo' ass in gear!
djDMS If you haven't bothered to listen and vote, shame on you!
Captain Triceps And if you have voted without bothering to listen, you're probably a pillock.
Dys7 Almost time

Bad Corey
quote:
quote:
i'm easy

I'm hard
versia When you gonna announce the winners? Hopefully as soon as possible after the deadline :).
Ken Masters Voting is now closed! Thanks to everyone who took the time to get involved & vote :) Competition results F/C..
Impulse_Response inb4 voting was placebo and he just picks his favorite.
Ken Masters Unfortunately I'm working some epic shifts this weekend, however I'll try my best to have everything updated & announced by Sunday night/Monday morning at the very latest.
CynicalJerk wow, can't imagine how busy you must be as to not have the 5 minutes to write 'congratulations __' for the entire weekend. sounds terrible. good luck with it all mate.
Captain Triceps I did think, aren't they tallied as they come in, just bloody tell us!
But then, it's nicer to have a proper ceremonial winners thread sort of thing, rather then "oh by the way, number 16 won, nice one."

I might post some alternative versions that I did, but decided against entering for whatever reason.
If anyone else has any, or made one after deadline, it might be interesting to hear them!
Bad Corey
quote:
Originally posted by CynicalJerk:
wow, can't imagine how busy you must be as to not have the 5 minutes to write 'congratulations __' for the entire weekend. sounds terrible. good luck with it all mate.

Username checks out.
Bad Corey Now that the voting is over, I think it would be fun to have a bit of a guessing game until Ken posts the results. Which tracks do you think are made by which producers?
Ken Masters
quote:
quote:
wow, can't imagine how busy you must be as to not have the 5 minutes to write 'congratulations __' for the entire weekend. sounds terrible. good luck with it all mate.

Username checks out.

Haha! You're fast becoming my favourite member :)

But yeah, I'm not one to half ass things.
Ken Masters
quote:
I did think, aren't they tallied as they come in, just bloody tell us!
But then, it's nicer to have a proper ceremonial winners thread sort of thing, rather then "oh by the way, number 16 won, nice one."

Exactly. I barely have enough time to feed myself & wash between shifts! The only reason I'm typing this is because I'm skiving in the work toilets.

You're right though. Number 16 was a crackin' track!
Dys7
quote:

Do I smell a Smoogie?
AllisonM he needs to be on laptop or pc so he can use calculator give him time hes working hard :P cannie even count :/ xx

ps. hurry up xx
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:

Do I smell a Smoogie?

The use of the word jerk suggests an American.

It took 5.48 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page