Radio listeners 177+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Club and Rave age?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
DJPagoda Hey I'm beginning my life as a DJ and I want to know what the age is for DJing at raves and clubs,
I am 16/yo I wont have all my gear until I'm 17, so can I DJ at raves and clubs at age 17?
And also whats a great way of getting booked for gigs like that?
latininxtc I dint think the age limit for a DJ, or any other performer is written in stone. If you have a talent and following that will sell tickets or entrance fees then you'll have a better chance of getting booked.

But yea at your age and current inexperience highly doubtful you'll be booked for anything for a year. But one thing I noticed that will get you booked quick is to ass kiss promoters and event organizers like crazy. Even if you're not that good you'll get a booking lol.
AoS_Lorenzo My advice to any 16 year old interested in being a DJ, Start learning how to produce now while you still have the free time. It'll help you get bookings in the long run. I also highly doubt they would book anyone just off the internet with no experience. Maybe play normally on an online radio show(Krafty Radio is a good option) for awhile to help get a following. Go to events like HTID USA a long with your local events & network. Don't expect overnight success. Just keep at it!
Samination Well, didnt most of the better known artists start out very young? Sharkey, Hixxy, Gammer etc
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Well, didnt most of the better known artists start out very young? Sharkey, Hixxy, Gammer etc

Yea but that's the UK, this guy here is in the US. Totally different set of rules here. Most of the successful UK hardcore DJs in the US, like Jimni Cricket and Moonstruck Red, have never dabbled in production. In fact a lot of the UK hardcore DJs in the US are also the local event organizer and are the only ones who manage to keep their scene alive.

also Sharkey and Hixxy came at a time where hardcore was evolving and taking shape, and their productions helped mold and create UK hardcore to what it is today. The fans, promoters and event organizers here know that and that's why they bring UK talent every chance they get.
AoS_Lorenzo The next generation of Americans, production will somewhat matter. Jason Bouse at the moment had some decent gigs just based upon his production. I'm personally having gigs this summer based upon productions.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by DJPagoda:
Hey I'm beginning my life as a DJ and I want to know what the age is for DJing at raves and clubs,
I am 16/yo I wont have all my gear until I'm 17, so can I DJ at raves and clubs at age 17?
And also whats a great way of getting booked for gigs like that?

where you abouts?
warped_candykid Record demos, burn them to discs, and pass them out at events. Befriend current local DJs in your scene. Develop a signature tracklist style (start with some uk hardcore and end with gabba....or start with current, surprise with some some oldie goldies, and then back to current), you need something your fans can count on when you play. Give yourself an image: are you going to be kandied up like S3RL? Are you going to be casual? Also, unless you're spinning goa/psytrance, be as straight-edge as possible (not saying you aren't, just sayin). Promoters are not about to book a DJ who's eyes are more glazed over than a marble.
DJPagoda I live in Texas US.
I do produce but I haven't put anything out yet ( I'm about to).
there are not any good electronic music DJ's that I know of around here, and most of the clubs and parties that I here about play mostly country music (which I hate), however I am in the southern side of TX which means mostly country music.
If anyone knows any Texas DJ's that play electronic music could you get me there contact info so i can talk to them and start my contact list. My email is [email protected]
-Thanks
latininxtc I live in Texas, Houston to be exact. Dallas and Houston are really the only places in Texas that have a good electronic following that isn't just focused on the mainstream stuff. I've never really heard anything about raves in south Texas. Are you in Corpus area, or like Brownsville?
Guest vegas has alot of not gabba its hardcore events

hunt for forsaken and hardcore you will probably find their radio stream if its still running
DJPagoda
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
I live in Texas, Houston to be exact. Dallas and Houston are really the only places in Texas that have a good electronic following that isn't just focused on the mainstream stuff. I've never really heard anything about raves in south Texas. Are you in Corpus area, or like Brownsville?

I'm in southeast close to Houston I live in Lumberton close to Beaumont,
so I guess not deep south but still, there isn't great clubs parties and such over here
But when I get my license I should be able to attend the stuff in Houston could you email me some venues and events that are over there?
Guest search on https://www.eventbrite.com/d/tx--houston/music--events/?crt=regular&slat=29.7604&slng=-95.3698&sort=best&view=list

reason why EDC vegas normally has hardcore http://lasvegas.electricdaisycarnival.com/
Gaz mace-E 1988 I think Donegal got his first gig (not first gid ever mind) at Helter Skelter when he was 15/16? Milwaukee gave him his first platform at 15 and dj'ed alongside Slipmatt and Billy Bunter regularly at 16 (correct me if I'm wrong?) So djing at 16 is a very realistic prospect.
The_DJ_Euphoria First off, don't expect gigs to fall in your lap for a while, to quote de la soul "everyone wants to be a dj, everyone wants to be an mc" and this is true. sending mixes to promotors is always a good idea but understand lots of other djs are doing this too. it's a cruel fact but in this game a lot relies on WHO you know, so networking is a must. you also need to stand out above everybody else, as a promotor myself i look for something unique in a set like scratching or different ways of chopping up the beats for example. another route you could take would be to promote your own events, this way you get to pick your own set time and other djs, but it will take a lot of hard work, a bit of money and knock backs but stick at it and good luck, you're gonna need it!
Guest just have to win some dj compititions or do your own ghetto

normally plenty of comps scattered about europe

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hardcore+dj+compitition&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=x5ePVq_OBofraozJrvAP
Thumpa Don't listen to anyone who says start producing to get gigs, total nonsense.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Thumpa:
Don't listen to anyone who says start producing to get gigs, total nonsense.

Better chances of gettign gigs if you're just famous... like Paris Hilton :P
DJ D-Luc-D
quote:

I've been conflicted about this for quite a while. I really want to learn how to produce music because I've always had ideas for tracks in my head, but at the same time I want to make a point of making myself known without having produced to get there :P
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
Originally posted by DJ D-Luc-D:
quote:

I've been conflicted about this for quite a while. I really want to learn how to produce music because I've always had ideas for tracks in my head, but at the same time I want to make a point of making myself known without having produced to get there :P

You don't have to be a standout producer to produce. Though having a grip on basic production values I believe is a must these days.
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:

It'd be silly to make a point of NOT producing for that reason, especially if you fancy the idea of it.
I say go for it mate - it's easy to learn, not necessarily easy to be great but as long as you enjoy producing, no-one is going to make you play your own tunes.
latininxtc
quote:

For a US hardcore dj, this is certainly the case. Jimni Cricket, Moonstruck Red, Spunky Da Bunny are a few names in the US that come to mind that don't produce yet have had a healthy djing career. I think Jimni and Moonstruck both run their own UK hardcore scene in their respective cities. The majority of Canadian DJs that have played at HTID ITS don't produce either.
ViolonC It's probably not enough to just DJ alone. Either you produce or you manage events with it to broaden up your spectrum. Setting up your own gig is certainly the easiest way to play an event if nobody will book you. :)

From own experience i can tell you promotion and getting the word out shouldn't be underestimated for any case. Getting help there is very important.
DJ D-Luc-D
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
quote:

It'd be silly to make a point of NOT producing for that reason, especially if you fancy the idea of it.
I say go for it mate - it's easy to learn, not necessarily easy to be great but as long as you enjoy producing, no-one is going to make you play your own tunes.

It's mainly because I've been used to not having the time for it for a few years, probably gonna make more of an effort after my A-Levels are done though.

quote:
Originally posted by ViolonC:
It's probably not enough to just DJ alone. Either you produce or you manage events with it to broaden up your spectrum. Setting up your own gig is certainly the easiest way to play an event if nobody will book you. :)

From own experience i can tell you promotion and getting the word out shouldn't be underestimated for any case. Getting help there is very important.

I'd add running a label in there too since it probably creates more of an awareness for the person who's running it. B-)
DJPagoda
quote:
quote:

I produce, I have been for a few years, I suggest you use FL Studio cause its easy, they have plenty of tutorials on the web and the plugins it comes with are nice and basic, I use GMS almost all the time. If you want help you can email me at [email protected] and I can send you a practice file so you can explore and practice with it.
ViolonC Certainly a Label might work. Wouldn't suggest it to a newcomer though.

Regarding production it's probably better for DJs to team up with a set up producer as picking up from scratch oneself takes a lot of time better spent with doing events. If you really want to get into production you will learn faster that way, too.
DJ D-Luc-D
quote:
Originally posted by DJPagoda:
quote:
quote:

I produce, I have been for a few years, I suggest you use FL Studio cause its easy, they have plenty of tutorials on the web and the plugins it comes with are nice and basic, I use GMS almost all the time. If you want help you can email me at [email protected] and I can send you a practice file so you can explore and practice with it.

I did actually get Logic a long time and did some stuff with that with the help of my dude Ranzor but I was kind of limited with it due to permissions on it not allowing plugins and whatnot since it's on a family iMac and we couldn't change some stuff for some reason. :P It's probably fine now though since all of the users on it were deleted after we reset it because Yosemite was causing issues. Now it's just one main user.
Now that I have a laptop with Windows I might start using FL (I used the shitty Fruity version a while back at school) but I feel like it was a bit of a waste getting Logic, although maybe I'll find myself using it for certain things later. B-)
Guest you can get fl studio on the mac http://www.image-line.com/documents/news.php?entry_id=1378290309&title=fl-studio-mac-os-x-beta

you can download my junk free version for windows http://www.mediafire.com/download/p8dk3eg6xr2p8xw/FL_Studio_v12.0.1_-0-.exe.7z

with a few extra usable plugins, and fl studio own plugins that are crap all removed

picking up production takes no time, a week tops, using all 100% virtual midi, automation and vsti`s as long as you understand the grids are bars, and the 4 steps, and 4 steps in a bar and 4 bars together make 4/4

It took 1.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page