Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Kopacetic
Starting Member

United States
3 posts
Posted - 2014/04/08 :  16:45:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kopacetic's homepage  Reply with quote
Mixing is very important to an electronic music track. Sometimes, mastering is not needed until the mixdown is absolutely good to your best ability.

If you have trouble mixing the volume levels, try pink noise mixing. This will only help you get the right volume level for each track.

Bottom line, if you are a newbie, i would not bother focusing on mastering yet. Focus more on the composition, arrangement, and definitely the mixdown. Once your mixdown is good, the mastering would be very easy to do, or you won't even need it at all.

Just my take on it :)

EDIT: I also want to add something about EQing. Make sure you use low-pass or high-pass filters appropriately. Although these are really good for taking our unwanted frequencies, you can easily loose color in your synth by doing this. Sometimes, I would rather use a low-shelf or high-shelf filter than HP or LP filters for most synths, even kicks.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Kopacetic on 2014/04/08 16:47:06
Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/04/10 :  14:02:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage  Reply with quote
Dude... all well and good tips... but a lot of what you say goes against everything else in the music industry.

And some of it is just flat out wrong. Rolling off under 40-50hz? No. Every club has that frequency and lower. A club with a good system goes much lower than that - in fact, anyone who has a subwoofer probably goes lower than that. My headphones go lower than that.

Also something i want to clarify: Mastering is not an "if you feel like it" situation. Mastering engineers are paid to do a very specific job that most mixing engineers can't do. The process of mastering not only readies a track for CD or vinyl but it also helps with the overall universal sound of the music that was mastered.

For example: You'll notice with an unmastered track that when you lower the volume the dynamics change. When a track is mastered, the dynamics stay exactly the same and uniform whether they're played back at 20dB or 100dB. Incredibly important for any music.

If it wasn't an essential part of releasing a track then nobody would do it because it's a *VERY* expensive "unnecessary" add-on.

Not to take away from anything you said cos some of it is actually pretty good advice. But this needs to be cleared up badly.

Alert moderator Go to top of page

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.61 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page