Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  03:59:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
hmmm no easy way to put this but...
freeform normally has an acid line somewhere.....
there is no percussion
there is no bassline
the vocal is out of key

if you enjoy it, dont let others put you off, but a little advice

really listen intently to a tune you really like & try to emulate it, do it bar by bar & down to last high hat, you'll be amazed just how much goes into making a good tune :)

exactly and once you have a good idea of what your doing listen to your finished track over and over and pick out areas of the track that need improving thats how i do it most of the time

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  05:13:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
Okay, there are a couple of fundamentals which you need to get your head around Smoogie.

The first is the most important. Criticism is your friend. It can be a harsh thing to hear, but it's often right. It'll bring you down to earth when you'll need it the most, so listen to people who offer it to you.

The second is that every element in music plays for the same team. They work together and harmonize. You have each element doing its' own thing here. You have a melody that is out of tune with other riffs, a vocal that's out of tune with the whole track, and needs to be worked in so it works at the right tempo, a kick that is isolated without more percussion and bassline...

Unfortunately, what you're left with is an unstructured, out of tune track with empty anonymous gaps left by lack of percussion and bassline.

Freeform is flexible by definition. Unlike what shades said, it doesn't necessarily need acid, but there're elements it does need. Namely, bassline, ride, hat, whatever.

Im sure you're trolling us with this thread, and by submitting tracks to PPF you're just wasting Pauls time and making things more difficult than they should be, but if you're genuine listen to those who know what they're talking about.

Edited by - Elipton on 2014/02/09 05:17:23
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  05:58:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:

Im sure you're trolling us with this thread

Judging from the 5+yrs I've seen him post on here, it's sadly clear that he is not trolling us.

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  06:35:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:

Im sure you're trolling us with this thread

Judging from the 5+yrs I've seen him post on here, it's sadly clear that he is not trolling us.

Just out of pure curiosity, have you ever produced or felt that urge to learn?

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  10:17:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Freeform is flexible by definition. Unlike what shades said, it doesn't necessarily need acid, but there're elements it does need. Namely, bassline, ride, hat, whatever.

Acid used to be an element of freeform that defined it from uk hardcore. this is why i used the word normally i do agree with everything else though.

but back to smooger.... there is quite a bit missing from your definition of freeform, no percussion means no fill's, no drum rolls or snare & clap rolls, which are essential in building a freeform or hardcore tune.

when you start out, the trouble is you need to be able to listen to music differently to produce, you need to learn to break a track down in your head & separate all the different elements playing at the same time, so you hear them as you would if they were played as a single entity, once your able to do that, then you can emulate a tune using the 'right' samples & sounds

you also need to take notice of track structure, as in: how many bars before the breakdown & what happens when in that time period, break it down, ask questions, how many bars before the bassline kicks in etc....

theres so much.....

to help with the tuning issues... practice with midi files or try & stay in the key of C & don't use Black notes, you'll get used to which notes sound good with each other, im sure there are samples in vengeance that are marked C to also help you stay in tune.

Edited by - Shades on 2014/02/09 10:24:03
Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  10:23:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
I notice an improvement over previous works. Keep at it Smoogie.

This was ****ing abysmal... But at least the lead wasn't out of time this time.

This is the thing... Everyone sucks major anus at producing when they start. But with criticism and re-evaluation and self-evaluation you can improve over a long period of time.

Your replies just show you're way too arrogant to think this is anything but fantastic and it is TERRIBLE. It's also an insult to Ken. Not to say you can't improve (everyone can - it's a learned skill) but you need to stop blowing off people's criticisms cos you're a twat.

End of.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  10:59:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Influx:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
I notice an improvement over previous works. Keep at it Smoogie.

Your replies just show you're way too arrogant to think this is anything but fantastic and it is TERRIBLE. It's also an insult to Ken. Not to say you can't improve (everyone can - it's a learned skill) but you need to stop blowing off people's criticisms cos you're a twat.

End of.

How was it an insult to Ken?

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  14:11:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage  Reply with quote
i got a lot of help from people on here when i started to take production seriously (my tracks were nowhere near as bad as this) but comparing my older tracks to the tracks i make now they sound 1000x better than when i 1st started

if you like i could send you some bassline, melody, pads over in midi & wav format so you can get an idea of what i've learned but you should take any feedback you can get even if it is negative even if it means you have to start a track all over again that way you can eventually turn the negative into positive

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  14:41:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Dopeman:
i got a lot of help from people on here when i started to take production seriously (my tracks were nowhere near as bad as this) but comparing my older tracks to the tracks i make now they sound 1000x better than when i 1st started

if you like i could send you some bassline, melody, pads over in midi & wav format so you can get an idea of what i've learned but you should take any feedback you can get even if it is negative even if it means you have to start a track all over again that way you can eventually turn the negative into positive

Feel free to send what you want but I won't change my methods as I enjoy what I am doing and what I make, it might not be what everyone was but then I have always liked a different type of Hardcore to most people on here. Basslines will never be stronger than hard kicks and I will always use hard kicks

I have no interest to being signed to a label as a producer or follow the same lead that everyone else is doing which is why I have no interest in Hardcore anyway

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  14:44:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Flogging a dead horse here lads.

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  14:46:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
which is why I have no interest in Hardcore anyway

wait...what?

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,914 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  14:49:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

wait...what?

lol!

uh oh!

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  14:59:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

wait...what?

I have no interest in mainstream Hardcore that is being made now, in fact I haven't heard much new sit in the last 5 or 6 years after it was all the same shite coming out

I listen to Old Skool which happens to be real Hardcore. Even stuff from the mid 2000s is better than anything after CLXH1

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  15:12:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage  Reply with quote
you obv aint listened to any of my stuff nothing mainstream about it all i listen to is old skool i've probably got more old skool hardcore than a lot of people on the site i have a whole 2TB external hdd dedicated to bouncy techno, old/nu skool gabber, happy hardcore etc

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2014/02/09 :  15:16:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
you obv aint listened to any of my stuff nothing mainstream about it all i listen to is old skool i've probably got more old skool hardcore than a lot of people on the site i have a whole 2TB external hdd dedicated to bouncy techno, old/nu skool gabber, happy hardcore etc

I think half of my computer is made up of music files, most being Old Skool from 1990-1997 and some early 2000s

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.36 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page