Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Gammer Interview
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  16:13:25  Show profile Send a private message
contains lols and head scratching !

http://nesthq.com/interview-gammer/

Alert moderator
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  16:45:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Yeah, American events and crowds are so much better than the shit he has to put up with here. All those UK fans coming out to see him every week, paying his bills....

Alert moderator Go to top of page
jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  17:00:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Yeah, American events and crowds are so much better than the shit he has to put up with here. All those UK fans coming out to see him every week, paying his bills....

Don't misunderstand. Literally verbatim he said "I think the most potent energy you're going to get from our music now is in the USA."
Nowhere does it say "American events are better than UK".

What he says in fact logical since the crowds at raves in the US are younger, therefore naturally more energetic.
Plus hardcore is relatively new for popularity in the US, and Gammer explains why.

I don't see where lols and head scratches come in. Looks like a solid interview to me.

Edited by - jordesuvi on 2015/09/30 17:05:04
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  17:39:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jordesuvi:
quote:

Don't misunderstand. Literally verbatim he said "I think the most potent energy you're going to get from our music now is in the USA."

What he says in fact logical since the crowds at raves in the US are younger, therefore naturally more energetic.
Plus hardcore is relatively new for popularity in the US, and Gammer explains why.

I don't see where lols and head scratches come in. Looks like a solid interview to me.

I think it's the part about claiming to take back the name Happy hardcore because that's what it is.... No mate it isn't. The only similarity to what hardcore is now is the speed, there's nothing happy about the stuff he makes now. It's dreary, whiny and far too trendy.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  19:33:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
quote:
quote:

for me it was stuff like :

1 ) "So who are the main characters other than yourself that are continuing to push it forward right now?"

"I?d say, the main, main guy, without any shadow of a doubt, is actually Darren Styles "

kinda dodge the question a bit? how abouta fracus & darwin or shimamura err storm? maybe a shout out to the j core scene in general which is proving far more happy hardcore than most of em ;p if it is about "happy hardcore" and how much he loves it i would think he would throw those kinds of things in.
i havent heard darren styles push anything " happy hardcore " for a good while honestly . and now people are gunna get fussy cuz we are actually talking about uk hardcore which i guess is going to be generally interpreted as "happy hardcore" now. at least by him? this the kinda shit that makes my head hurt xp

"The last three years he?s actually played the bassCON stage at EDC Las Vegas"

not sure how this is relevant to who is pushing hardcore "right now" . especially since i think we can agree those sets were not remotely "happy hardcore".

2 ) "Do you have to deal with a lot of haters? "

"what we don?t really get is acceptance ? and I can understand why. When people hear the music and its 170 BPM, four to the floor, and its really flipping fast and crazy? people listen and just say, ?I?m not really sure about that.? "

dude; WHAT?
i have never seen anybody at a hardcore show not getting the **** down; knowing exactly why they are there. people ARE sure about that. it's hardcore. it is literally what we just bought tickets and CD's to hear. i am "not sure " about shitty trap beats and other whack elements in the middle of a euphoric dancefloor smasher though ( mumbled agreement )
are we trying to impress someone else besides hardcore fans?

3 ) "Do you remember when you started seeing stuff like DDR pop up? Was it cool to see those sounds becoming an element of pop culture in a way?"

" I remember the first Hudson Mohawke track I heard, TNGHT?s ?Higher Ground?, it had just come on the radio and I was like, ?This sounds like a nutty kind oldschool track with a trap beat over it?. I didn?t even know what trap was at the time. I found out that he grew up with happy hardcore as well and he?s taken that influence in his music "

i must be deaf; sounds like straight up festival trap music to me. not so sure about happy hardcore influence in his music... can certainly here HIS influence in gammer's music though ;D.

4) "How would you describe one of these nights, let?s say the perfect night? Where is it? What does it look like, who?s playing, what?re they playing? "

"When you go to a hardcore rave, particularly in the states, it?s intense, you?ll not see anything like it. It?s the classic thing with the kandi kids, the whistles and the horns, that?s all there, but it?s the fact that when the drop comes in they don?t just do that initial cheer, they?re screaming all over it, they don?t care if it?s a guy or a girl singing the track they are singing their hearts out along with it. "

definitely not going to look like that with the kind of set darren styles played at the basscon stage at EDC the last 3 years... the reaction he is speaking of is the pure glorious uk hardcore candy kid party. you simply cannot achieve that with big room or trap; THAT crowd is not there for THAT sound. so he knows the different crowds want different things at different times; and will garner different reactions; but will still just play whatever he feels like; when he feels like?

5) What?s one track that consistently goes off every time?

For me, it?s Elysium by Scott Brown. No contest.

AGREEEDDD

like a smooth talking politician at some points there haha. at least imo from my perspective. i like to over -analyse and take things pretty seriously though ;) . especially my hardcore ;p

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  19:44:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
quote:

LOL no. Hardcore in the US has had peaks in popularity on and off. We did after all have the Happy 2B Hardcore series. Moonshine would not have invested so much in the series (7 editions in total) if it wasn't popular to begin with.

And the reason why it seems "new" to Americans is because there is a high turnover fan base for the genre. Yes you'll have those like me who have enjoyed hardcore for 15 years and still don't get tired of it, but those people are few and far between, especially speaking in terms of just being part of the fan base and not a producer/DJ and/or promoter for the hardcore scene. US ravers have ADD when it comes to EM genres, and tire easily and will move on to the next big thing.

The majority of the UK fan base is in it for the long run, for better or worse. They invest way more money following the genre than Americans do. Lucky for them it's more convenient, but you won't see the type of variety on a weekly basis at events in the US as you do in the UK.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  19:55:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Of course I was exaggerating, but I felt I just needed to make the point.

Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  20:53:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage
I'm not sure what he meant about the US having better sound systems. I've only been to two events here, and I haven't been to any in the UK, but at those two events I actually attended the sound was terrible. It was particularly bad at Hardcore Essentials 2 in Nashville.

d2kx

Germany
127 posts
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  22:05:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit d2kx's homepage
Excellent interview. And just as expected, the very same people that made me want to contribute to USH.net or this forum less and less over time again didn't really understand what Gammer was saying.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  22:27:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Advather:
I'm not sure what he meant about the US having better sound systems. I've only been to two events here, and I haven't been to any in the UK, but at those two events I actually attended the sound was terrible. It was particularly bad at Hardcore Essentials 2 in Nashville.

Yea North American sound systems at raves are some of the worst because of the heavy focus on bass. But since Gammer's current stuff I overloaded with heavy bass/dub riffs I cam see why he would think it sounds amazing.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  22:37:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by d2kx:
Excellent interview. And just as expected, the very same people that made me want to contribute to USH.net or this forum less and less over time again didn't really understand what Gammer was saying.

Oh yes because a German would be more qualified to tell us Americans and British that we didn't understand what the Englishman was saying...

Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,050 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2015/09/30 :  23:22:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage
I thought it was a good(ish) interview. I thought that he could have pushed more names and I think that those at the top of the scene could practice what they preach much more but on the whole, what he said was ok.

I really don't think it matter what we call the music. Just because he calls it 'happy hardcore' it doesn't need to sound exactly like 97 happy hardcore. It's just the evolution of a genre. It's just a label. Also happy hardcore is probably the best term to use to people from outside the scene. No one knows what UK hardcore is.

I don't think it's wise to over analyse what Gammer writes. I think sometimes it doesn't come across as he intends.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  00:47:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
He bypassed mentioning any of the long runners who were actually making happy hardcore in the 90s: Hixxy, Al Storm, Chris Unknown.
Or any other long standing artist: Fracus, Darwin, Kurt,, ReCon

Happy Hardcore had its day in America during the Happy2bHardcore era. Like Latininxtc said, it's hard to find actual fans of the genre who are still active listeners from that era.

I will agree with him on the fact that 'UK Hardcore' is a rather irrelevant term. It's always came from the UK. Happy Hardcore is the genre, it's just today, it's an evolved sound of the genre.
On the flip side, I can see how the term has been around since 2002-ish, and has developed its own sound towards the name. I just like the term Happy Hardcore :P

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2015/10/01 00:48:23
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  02:01:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Styles and Gammer have formed their own two-man uber top tier these days but even though they're receiving unprecedented mainstream exposure, it's irrelevant to the wider hardcore scene because their music sounds nothing like anyone else's. For fans of the older sound, the popularity of Styles and Gammer is actually bad news.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  02:04:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by d2kx:

I'd like to apologise on behalf of all of us with opinions that don't coincide with your own.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/10/01 :  04:55:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Wow, never knew how Gammer knew Dougal. I thought that Dougal just picked up some random kid and started making music :P

trippnface: that "haters" thing could be a reference to USH or us here :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page