Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 Is there a "matching beats for dummies".(I NEED HE
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
joltzy

United States
62 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  19:43:24  Show profile Send a private message
I try i try and i keep on trying but yet i cant match up crap! Can some one give me some pointers. But please make it for dummies like try to describe with words i can understand or use words that i dont understand but put the definiton up so i can understand. Now i know were the breaks are and i know how to count beats but they just dont seem to match up can some one please help me? Im trying to spin hardcore so do i match the bass or the high hats and snares. Im so confused please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JOLTZ

Alert moderator
joltzy

United States
62 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  19:46:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit joltzy's homepage
I need help is what i meant

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/03/13 :  23:09:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
Ok, do you have technics decks or other kinds or are you using cd'js??

Firstly find a record with an intro on it that is just beats. listen to the song that isnt coming out the speakers in your headphones and jog the record until it sounds like the kickdrums of the respective songs you are playing are hitting right on top of each other.

Then wait and listen to see weather the new track sounds like its getting ahead or behind the other one. This tells you weather its too fast or too slow.

It may not be obvious weather the new track you're going to bring in is getting ahead or behind the track currently playing but the more you dj, the more easy it is to tell whats going on.

Do not touch the pitch fader just yet. When you have picked wether the song is going too fast or too slow, first jog the record again so that its in time with the other one then when its sitting right in time with the other record adjust the pitch fader to a lower speed if the record got ahead of the one being played out and vice versa.

How much you adjust the pitch depends on how quickly the record got too fast or too slow when you had first got it in time with the record being played out.

If this sounds too complicated then all i can say is practice till you get it. Use the same records and keep doing the same mix till you can do it perfectly.
I can send you a sound file that would make it clearer than my word explaination if you want.

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/14 :  01:32:46  Show profile  Send a private message
that's what i would have said. every new dj makes this mistake at first.
i bet you think the song you're mixing in is too slow so you move the pitch straight up/vice versa if it's too fast.
it's what i call a yoyo effect,coz basically you're moving the pitch up and down the whole time trying to match the beats.

so do as heist said,if it's too slow in the headphones,move the record along to cue them up,then move your pitch a little bit.keep doing that till you find the pitch and you can't go wrong.even if you go over a little bit,just slow it down a bit then move the pitch back down

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/14 :  10:07:24  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
www.djrecess.co.uk <-- all i ever needed to know
taught me Everything about mixing.. godsend that site is

"I AMMM THE CREAAAAATOOOOOR"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

joltzy

United States
62 posts
Posted - 2002/03/14 :  11:56:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit joltzy's homepage
Thank u so much guys for your help it sounds like im doing everything right.But just need to practice more i guess. Once again thanks for the help if any one has any other pointers im all ears!
JOLTZ

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/14 :  23:45:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
Oli....the link doesn't work...could ya check it and post it again please mate . I'm in desperate need of tips to beatmatch too....mind you, I suppose getting a second deck might help

Cheers bud,

Matthew
--------------------------
"Its a Hardcore hit. This is the **** that kicks"

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  02:12:36  Show profile  Send a private message
just don't expect to be able to mix overnight and you'll be fine. it took me 2 years before i landed my first gig,might take longer or some,not as long for others...

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

sammypoohuk

United Kingdom
387 posts

6 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  10:26:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit sammypoohuk's homepage
can u help me out? can u mix vinyl with cd? at the moment i am finding it very hard ! if ne1 has got ne tips then can u pls share em with me!

SaMmY

sammypoohuk

United Kingdom
387 posts

6 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  10:28:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit sammypoohuk's homepage
oh yeah my deck is a crappy one. it has nothin, i mean nothin. no pitch control, no headphones thingie, nothin

SaMmY

Edited by - sammypoohuk on 2002/03/15 10:29:39
bowzer
Average Member

Canada
210 posts

153 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  10:47:21  Show profile  Send a private message
its gonna be really tough to beat match something that doesnt have a pitch control...

Lusive
Average Member

Australia
151 posts
Posted - 2002/03/15 :  15:48:26  Show profile  Send a private message
ok heres a tip, dont bite me if someone has already said it..

ok suppose you got the tracks fairly clocely matched, but cant quite figure out what needs pitching..

have both songs playing in your ear.
1. touch the cueing track only (the one in your headphones only)
2. slow it down, dont change the pitch.. just jog it, so its obviously laging behind the other track. not too far though.. just so you can hear the train tracks/stuttering effect a little bit.
3. wait....
4. if they come back in time then the track you are cueing is too fast, if it gets worse then its too slow.

another thing to do is have both songs playing in your ear and every 2 beats or so flick the cueing track off and on (using phono/line or just a cue button) this will usually make it more obvious if the track that you are cueing is out of time.. no more explaination needed.. if you dont notice here that its out of time then its either matched or really close (use method above).. or you need WAY more practise.

| A good way to threaten somebody is to light a stick of dynamite. Then you call the guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone. "Hear that?" you say. "That's dynamite, baby." -Jack Handy |

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/16 :  03:31:50  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
http://www.recess.co.uk/
sorry
thats the updated link

"I AMMM THE CREAAAAATOOOOOR"
\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/19 :  01:31:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
Cheers Oli

YAY, I'm getting my other deck this weekend!!!

Matthew
--------------------------
"Its a Hardcore hit. This is the **** that kicks" - MC Storm

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.58 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page