Total online 1809
 Radio listeners 159+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 General discussion
 I got a small question about DJin Betta!!!
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DJ STYLUS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,661 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  03:49:56  Show profile Send a private message
Right in my opinion i have learnt near enough all i really need to know about djin except 2 small things!!!!

1) How can I do seriously wkd scratchin' like Sy does (Especialy to thunder & rain). Do i need special concord needles, or is there some technique!! When I start to scratch really well the record jumps!!!!

2) I can get the right songs and BPM to mix, but HOW DO pro DJs get the tune bang on all the time (I can never get it acurate all the time, when goin from one song to another). Is there any secrets wiv this?? Sometimes the beats are goin well ova times i mix the same song and they r so out!!!! THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Any help will b appreciated!! =)

...Now I feel so pure!!

Alert moderator
Dragalian

United States
306 posts

136 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  08:39:11  Show profile  Send a private message
1. Yeah, it kinda does matter what needles you have. I have both Stanton 500AL's and also a pair of Ortofon Concorde DJ S's (the blue ones). The first time I used my Stantons to scratch, they jumped the first second I tried scratching hard. My Ortofons stay on the whole time unless I try to do some hard bumping effects of course. If you want to scratch like your favorite scratch dj, listen to their CDs every single day, and listen closely to how they open and close the fader. I listen to Freaky Flow (Canadian Jungle DJ) every day at work and sometimes at home, and I can do about 85 to 90% of his scratching skills. I also listen to Sy to get those fruity scratches down . Keep on practicing.

2. I'm guessing you don't have 1200's then, me either . With my turntables (Gemini PT-2000's), I have to move the pitch slider ever so slightly the way I want to be to get the perfect mix, plus I use the pitch quartz to slow it down so I don't have to bother with slowing down the platter with my finger. I spun on Technics 1200M3D's at my first big event and it was so easy to get a perfect mix. All I can suggest is to practice everyday and practice mixing fast; try to get the pitch as fast as you can.

I hope this helps you any.

http://www.amoryproductions.com

Alert moderator Go to top of page
sammypoohuk

United Kingdom
387 posts

6 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  09:15:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit sammypoohuk's homepage
2: Wat i do is i just bring the record bak to the first bass drum beat i hear....then move it bak n forth until i feel like realising it, i.e after ever 8th bar so the phrase of the song has finished.....then i w8 4 bars to see if it is still ok then bring it in slowly....if one record is slower than the otha i either bring the pitch control up or down....and if it is worse move it up double that i have moved it down....er.....make sence?????

..SaMmY..
Hee Hee Haa Haa

virus
Advanced Member

Canada
4,346 posts

716 hardcore releases
virus has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  09:26:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virus's homepage
i think your solution to both is just practise.. it takes years of practise to be able to scratch really well.. theres no special technique that sy has that can be easily adopted.. if there was, everyone would be doing it.

Pandora
Average Member

United States
173 posts
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  10:16:10  Show profile  Send a private message
1.) In my opinion there are two kinds of DJ's. The ones that can scratch like a master but doesn't concentrate on beat matching, and then the ones that beat match like a master and doesn't scratch very well. I'm sure there are a few select that can do both but most DJ's perfect one or the other. Needles do make a difference and having your tone arm balanced also does.

2.) You need to count beats and make sure that you throw the record in on phase. Its hard to explain but when you hear the beat double up on one record it should also on the other record. That is having it in phase.

Also what Dragalian said about the turntables is very true. I started playing on a pair of Numark belt driven tables that sucked but I think it helped me out a lot because now when I play on my Technics I feel like such a better DJ...I just match the beats, make sure the records are in phase and let them play. Instead of having to baby-sit my mix.

I haven't even started to scratch yet though, not even sure if I will start to learn anytime soon. You can buy videos that teach scratching techniques...how to hold the record, when to move the phaser, what types of beats to use, that kind of stuff.

"I kiss your lips and close my eyes, take you away to paradise, make everybody see that I love you and you love me"

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  11:31:00  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
are those videos helpful?

"It's all good..."

Pandora
Average Member

United States
173 posts
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  12:20:02  Show profile  Send a private message
I have no idea. I see them in a catalog that I recieve. Check them out at www.pssl.com. There are a few diffrent ones from "So You Want To Be A DJ" to "DJ's Guide To Scratching". They also have break dancing and Turntablist videos.

"I kiss your lips and close my eyes, take you away to paradise, make everybody see that I love you and you love me"

djmonoxide

United States
128 posts
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  15:50:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djmonoxide's homepage
"1.) In my opinion there are two kinds of DJ's. The ones that can scratch like a master but doesn't concentrate on beat matching, and then the ones that beat match like a master and doesn't scratch very well. I'm sure there are a few select that can do both but most DJ's perfect one or the other. Needles do make a difference and having your tone arm balanced also does."

Spree beat matches and scratches good although I do admit his scratching don't change from mix to mix.

I used to be a raver, used to take lots of E. Now I just smoke weed, and you know I will Succeed. :)

Pandora
Average Member

United States
173 posts
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  19:35:20  Show profile  Send a private message
I do understand that there are the few select that can do both. Thats why I put, "I'm sure there are a few select that can do both but most DJ's perfect one or the other." Just to cover my tracks.

djmonoxide

United States
128 posts
Posted - 2002/07/02 :  20:02:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djmonoxide's homepage
^^^ I'm Aware I was just pointing one out

I used to be a raver, used to take lots of E. Now I just smoke weed, and you know I will Succeed. :)

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/07/03 :  01:48:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
the answer to two is simply practice practice practice. not ever with the same song..... try to use all your records and b sides to practice beat matching. the more you do it - the better you'll be, also the quicker you'll be. eventually you'll be able to match two beats almost perfectly in a matter of 10 seconds.

as for the scratching thing, just try everything - don't be afraid to play around and sound bad when you're practicing, just try everything you think might sound cool and see what happens.

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

Kaoticnoise

United States
47 posts

185 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/07/07 :  01:11:42  Show profile  Send a private message
One thing that definitely helps with scratching is a mixer with a crossfader curve on it. The point of the curve is to cut the volume in withoutit fading in. Its basically like using your phono/line switches. of course there is more than one style of curve, but the main thing is the steeper the slope, the harder the cut. One scratch that is fairly easy to do with hardcore is a scratch that Vinylgroover tends to do alot. First off, Battle records are a necessity for anyone who wants to get serious. Battle records will have scratch samples on them that are often heard in hip hop, hardcore, and nearly any other music. but back to the scratching like Vinylgroover. You need to find a record that has a continuos tone on it. Like a steady beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Play the tone and practice cutting the crossfader back and forthe to the beat of the music. So it sounds like eeee eeee eeee eeee eeee eeee. Once you are able to stay on cue with the beats try moving the record back and forth while you still move the crossfader to the beat. Of course it takes practice and you will develop your own sound as you go, but practice makes perfect. Its kinda like rubbing your belly and scratching your head at the same time. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Beau Stewart

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2002/07/07 :  07:30:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Aslo go to Sy's mixing tips at:
http://www.quoshrecords.com/index_main.html

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.61 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page