Is using a computer to mix "cheating" ?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/11/27 :  15:07:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
the majority of mix cd's have have digital editing done to them...

I'd go so far as to say all mix CD's have digital editing done to them. If they don't they prob don't sound to great. But there's a big difference beween normalizing, EQ'ing, expanding, and maybe compressing a mix and using a computer to do the beat matching for you :D

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Soren on 2002/11/27 15:08:17
Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/11/27 :  15:22:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage  Reply with quote
well said^^
I hear a lot of people tossing the term "computer DJ" around. IMO if you do all of your beat matching with a computer, you are NOT a DJ!!!

DJWOOWOO69

United Kingdom
56 posts
Posted - 2002/11/28 :  05:20:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
come muter 'DJ' if u realy wanner call them that have no talent or skills. there just a bunch of perthetic sad acts that carnt DJ proply

LIVELONG
RAVE ON

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/11/28 :  15:40:48  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
I had the chance to demo 1 of 5 units of Final Scratch in Japan the other day... I could not believe what I saw... This is truely digital playing as vinyl... At first I was like "yeah it's another DJ toy" but you can do everything that you can do with a vinyl with digital audio it's amazing... you can cue, use the pitch, scratch, speed up slow down with no delay and you don't need anything special done to your turntables just play final scratches time code vinyl and it all works!

I am the first to admit I am not the best at CDJ's, it's kind of like DJing blindfolded and as one **** up in your DJ set can destroy the vibe so quick it is not funny I try to avoid them... but final scratch, no problems... it's 500 dollars well spent to me as I can play all my promo's witouth dubplate or fear of the CDJ :)

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/11/28 :  16:23:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
All this time I've been wondering WTF all this Final Scratch business is, so I looked it up and ... Oh...My...Gawd *cracks a hard-on* this looks awesome.

One thing though - using real turntables means that the discrepancies in deck quality (ie tracking, torque, etc) still apply, am I right?

Xenochrome
Advanced Member

United States
2,645 posts
Xenochrome is a site donation subscriber Xenochrome has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/11/28 :  17:21:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Xenochrome's homepage  Reply with quote
yep...I saw Ritchie Hawtin (Plastikman) play a set with both vinyl and Final Scratch...I have to admit it was impressive,

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/11/28 :  20:40:43  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by strychnine:
One thing though - using real turntables means that the discrepancies in deck quality (ie tracking, torque, etc) still apply, am I right?

Basically you play the final scratch vinyl that output into the special final scratch DSP thingy which is hooked up to the laptop, the DSP thingy converts the time code audio signal from the vinyl being playing into digital minutes and seconds and play's that part of the digital cound file...

So I as long as the record can output an audio signal it will play the digital file. I didn't actually setup the final scratch machine (the company guy did) so I am sure there is some sort of calibration you have to do before hand to make sure things are okay... but still it would not matter if you are a used to vinyl.

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.89 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page