Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2002/11/15 :  13:53:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage  Reply with quote
I dunno about that ;P I mean, drop a 1200 from about two feet and it'll leave a 60 foot deep crater. They're made of solid lead and uranium, or at least feel that way ;P

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Annex

Canada
285 posts

38 hardcore releases
Annex has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/11/15 :  22:49:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
not that i'm currently involved in producing or mixing anything.. but...
my only point here is.. since when are there rules?
dontcha haveta break some rules to cheat?
now granted, you go with 'one button' mixing.. and it'll be lame as all hell, but hey... you do what you do.. just.. chances are it'll sound crappy n ppl will bitch and moan online about you ;)

-----------------------
potatoe :)
keep on smiling

Nemesis

United Kingdom
45 posts
Posted - 2002/11/16 :  01:39:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Nemesis's homepage  Reply with quote
I think using pc's will become more fashionable as time goes on.
However, do you consider it cheating to produce HH using a pc?
I don't.

You got whacked cuz your weak!

http://www.soundclick.com/onslaughtmusic.htm

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/16 :  17:56:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage  Reply with quote
Using a PC to produce is not a problem, many top DJs do it. It's the mixing of songs that are already completed that should be done with real hardware. Personally, I think that the advent of the virtual studio is gonna be of great benefit to us all ;P

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/11/18 :  04:07:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
Using a PC to produce is not a problem, many top DJs do it.

So if all the top HHC DJ's like Brisk, Spree, and Paulina Taylor said that mixing MP3's on a PC is the way of the future and everyone should do that then it'd be OK right? And bringing up producing is a good point. Isn't mixing other people's music on easily beat-matchable vinyl cheating? Shouldn't everyone be making their own tunes and doing live shows? What is cheating and what's not? It's anyones call really and completely up to ones personal judgment and no one elses.

That's all just in theory however and I totally agree that using a PC to mix is cheating... :D

"Sadness is a barnacle clinging to your bright boat. You won't let it sink your spirits if you'll only learn to float. We are all sea captains, sailing on life's rough seas. Come on you Magellan's, come with me I've got Pie; Happiness Pie."

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/19 :  10:27:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage  Reply with quote
Yeah, but there's a difference - when you're producing, no matter on what platform, a certain amount of skill must go in to the production - mastering, coming up with a catchy stab, programming synths, etc.... once you start moving into a field where there is one specific skill needed (DJing - other than picking tracks, all you need is the ability to beatmatch..)

djtommyrenegade
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,311 posts
djtommyrenegade has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/11/19 :  12:18:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Personally as a DJ, i think if ya use a computer to mix, your only cheating yourself. Anyway your hardly gonna become a world famous mouse pushing computer deejay, are you!?
So i say i ya use a computer have your fun, but if ya wanna play sets in front of crowds of hundreds, vinyl is your only weapon

by the way, theres a track i heard at Planet Love, that hixxy play and i dunno what it is called, a man says in it:
" You play the music and they do what ya tell em"
and then it changes to
"F##k you i wont do as you tell me!" etc

can anyone help me???????

DJ Renegade aka Tommy C

thomas crossley

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/11/19 :  13:52:06  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
The thing is, however, ravers/clubbers only want the music - and really don't care (that much) about delivery.

Sure Dj's may call other Dj's cheaters for using a PC to beat match track, but then again, only Dj's really care - unless of course it was a turntablism set.

As for the H2BH series, the majority of listeners didn't really care. I personally enjoyed the ultra smooth mixing, be it computer or otherwise.

-=[ryg0r]=-

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2002/11/19 :  14:04:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
^^ sadly, that's true about many ravers and even more clubbers - most clubs I've been to recently don't even take the covers off their turntables, that is, if they even have them.

However, most ravers *will* spot bad DJ'ing, and most *will* appreciate a good set more if the track selection and mixing are absolutely spot on, even if most of them wouldn't have the faintest idea as to *why* it was a good set, so I think delivery does have a much greater effect than you suggest.

As for CD's, you can tell if it's been mixed on computer - it sounds like the DJ only knows how to use the cross-fader (and rather poorly at that). Good well-mixed CD's (and sets for that matter) make you appreciate each individual track more than if you just played that track by itself.

Having said that, I (sorta) agree with Annex - IMHO the only "rules" you gotta follow are the ones specific to your performance, eg the promoter will only let you spin on vinyl or the crowd at this party as a whole is music-savvy enough to expect you to mix on turntables. *shrugs*

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/11/19 :  14:10:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
" You play the music and they do what ya tell em"
and then it changes to
"F##k you i wont do as you tell me!" etc

that's masters of ceremony - under control

as for the production on a computer,i suppose you could say it's cheating in a sense, but since every hardcore or dance tune is made on a computer it's become a way of life...so get used to it. the way i see it is this: making a tune on a computer is good...but to be able to recreate that tune live is even better - take faithless as an example

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/11/20 :  04:24:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
Yeah, but there's a difference - when you're producing, no matter on what platform, a certain amount of skill must go in to the production - mastering, coming up with a catchy stab, programming synths, etc....

Actually with the extreme number of "tracker" programs and sample loops CD's it takes absolutely no skill to make techno anymore. You could go buy a loop player and a "UK Hard House In a Box" CD and make a track that sounds just like everyone else in like 5 days with no prior experience. Then you could churn out a track a day if you wanted to. But if you're a producer that actually designs your own sounds, creates custom MIDI arrangement, and actually makes the music then it still takes skill. But I don't think many people do that anymore.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, Long as I have my plastic Jesus Riding on the dashboard of my car.

Going 90, it ain't scary cause I've got the virgin Mary; sitting on the dashboard of my car."

djyogi

Australia
487 posts
Posted - 2002/11/20 :  14:23:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djyogi's homepage  Reply with quote
its cheating , also when u use drugs and mix its cheating.

"My only regret in life is that i wasn't a DJ" Draz

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/20 :  14:43:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
^^ I would've though mixing while wrecked was more of a handicap than anything :P

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/11/20 :  14:53:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
yep,tried that one and all you're doing is falling over ,can't see what you're doing,tripping over your headphones etc etc etc

that's a handicap fair enough. but only if you're totally out of it

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/11/20 :  18:41:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage  Reply with quote
There's one drug i've tried where one of its secondary effects is to tweak your hearing to the point that you can "hear" everything, like if you're listening to a set you can hear every turn of the knob, every flick of a switch, everything - I s'pose if you were mixing on this stuff even the smallest off-beat will sound like a trainwreck, so maybe it'll be an advantage.

Problem is, the more you take, the better your hearing, but the more inclined you are to hallucinate, and the more dissociated your mind becomes from your body. I wouldn't suppose it's any good hearing even the smallest error in your mixing if you haven't got enough motor control left to fix it, especially when you're being attacked an army of flying purple elephants =P

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page