Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Records Labels
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/10/15 :  17:56:33  Show profile View artist profile Send a private message
Seeing as theres not much interest for taking new guys on board (but don't quote me on that), I wish to start up my own record label (not just hardcore, but lots of the stuff).

What are the processes of starting a label?

Having lots of money
Artists
A manufacturer

And what else?

-=[ryg0r]=-

Alert moderator
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/10/16 :  00:47:26  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
1. Finding distribution
2. Not getting ripped off.
3. A whole lot of red tape.
4. More red tape and more not getting ripped off.

It took me 12 months to start my label cause of all of this, you don't make any money either... gotta love hardcore :)

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
saintberry

Australia
358 posts
Posted - 2002/10/16 :  00:56:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit saintberry's homepage
let me be in on this....why, ive got a MAD name for a hhc label i cameup with ages ago...if your nice you can have it

ive also got good names for events if ppl want them

also rygor i think i sent you a link awhile ago...it dosent cost that much in australia now to get a pressing done!

pacman
Advanced Member

Australia
1,132 posts

190 hardcore releases
pacman has attended 8 events
Posted - 2002/10/16 :  16:08:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit pacman's homepage
yeah there's so many people here wanting to start up a label, we're pretty much bursting at the seams to do it.

drugs is not the answer... drugs? is the question... yes is the answer

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/10/16 :  16:52:24  Show profile  Send a private message
i'm not gonna start up a label coz of all the complexities......yet
in the meantime i'll just get signed to one with my huge repertoire of 3 tracks lol

--------------------------------------------------
"Don't frown when someone annoys you, it uses 42 muscles. Bitch-slap the fu©ker, it only uses 4"

DJ Mouse

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
ryg0r is verified hardcore artist ryg0r has donated money to the site ryg0r has attended 10 events
Posted - 2002/10/16 :  21:07:13  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
quote:

1. Finding distribution
2. Not getting ripped off.
3. A whole lot of red tape.
4. More red tape and more not getting ripped off.

It took me 12 months to start my label cause of all of this, you don't make any money either... gotta love hardcore :)

LOL! But yes, I love music. I'm not in it for selling music, but only for making it and helping it get made.

If I wanted to make money, I would either be a promoter or a DJ. Or a banker, or a doctor ($50 for 15 mins!!!)

quote:
also rygor i think i sent you a link awhile ago...it dosent cost that much in australia now to get a pressing done!

Yeah, I just don't have that kind of money! I'm stingy with money for Payphones!!! I have no income - Does anyone have a job for me?

-=[ryg0r]=-

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/10/17 :  04:07:17  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
my labels half way thru the process of getting started

tip #1, (from devastate) get your self a business ank account and SPEAK to the tax man, as long as its all legit, he will tell you ways to dodge tax as much as poss
#2, vat register your self... you wanna buy a nice new synth, well, its needed for the label isnt it? :P, vat free, as its todo with the company

#3.. get good quality pressings, they matter almost as much as the music does

#4.... this isnt everything.. being as i havnt started yet,
but make sure you find good reliable distribution, thru someone you can trust. otherwise, its rip orf time

:/

s'not easy, but i cant wait till i get this off teh ground

Garage Is where You Keep Your ****in Car
House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

\o/ <o/ \o> <o> /o\ _o/ \o_

http://www.myspace.com/camelrecords

Soren

United States
499 posts
Posted - 2002/10/17 :  04:54:50  Show profile  Send a private message
"If I wanted to make money, I would either be a promoter or a DJ."

They don't make money either.

"Or a banker, or a doctor ($50 for 15 mins!!!)"

They do though....

ryg0r
Advanced Member

Australia
2,807 posts

34 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/10/17 :  15:47:58  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message
quote:
get your self a business ank account and SPEAK to the tax man, as long as its all legit, he will tell you ways to dodge tax as much as poss
#2, vat register your self... you wanna buy a nice new synth, well, its needed for the label isnt it? :P, vat free, as its todo with the company

There be not VAT in Australia.

I'm getting an ABN (business number) when I have the cash, or maybe when I get cash, full stop.

quote:
get good quality pressings, they matter almost as much as the music does

Thats easy, but the problem is paying for it.

-=[ryg0r]=-

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Oli G is verified hardcore artist Oli G has donated money to the site Oli G has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/10/17 :  18:28:36  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
yeah its not easy,
i need to find the money, once thats sorted i hope ill be able oto send silver details of the new releases to slap on the front page heh :P

House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

Wisp
Starting Member

Japan
5 posts
Posted - 2002/10/19 :  23:11:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Wisp's homepage
I've been reading and researching for a bit now. What I dont understand is the difference in record label processes when it comes to producing electronic music over something more general like "punk music". Of course that genre usually doesnt release vinyl they do release cd's and tapes. Explaining myself farther I mean, you can actually register your record logo, and trademarks within the country you reside in, but then you've got to go and register it within the other countries you distribute to, if your to legal hold onto your name and stop others from infringing on it, of course I dont think this is usually too much of a problem within hardcore.
I have a structure down of what to do, where to go, but how do you handle things like artist royalties or promotor cost. I think someone whose had experience running a label should post a thread on the basics of it. Or we should start a whole new Section for Record Label, or Business. Inquiring minds want to know...

'Wisp'`

DjMoNkEyBoY

United States
115 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/10/20 :  16:23:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjMoNkEyBoY's homepage
Very good Wisp.
I'm with you on that!

Dj MoNkEyBoY
Founder of Monkeyshine Inc.

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!

Oli G
Advanced Member

United States
1,817 posts
Posted - 2002/10/21 :  01:59:31  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Oli G's homepage
the easiest way as far as hardcore goes
is to do a 50:50 split, after costs..... pressing, distribution, etc, any profit made back is split 50: artist 50: label, simple
or not... because you have to tell the artists what are costs, what arnt, i mean obviously if the label adds the cost of the meal while they thought about signing your release, or something like that, there taking the piss :)

the other way to do it is the points system, im not sure how this works... so id like someone to explain it please heh

House Is where You Live
Hardcore Is HOW You Live

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/10/22 :  01:03:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
Sound on Sound are running a series of articles at the moment on setting up and running your own Record Label. I think this months is either article 2 or 3. If your in the UK go buy it. The articles will be available on the web at www.Sound-on-Sound.co.uk. You may have to subscribe to get at the articles, but its well worth it.

So far they've been pretty good containing very accurate information and advice about who to contact and how to collect royalties and basically general industry processes etc. Go read it

Matthew aka DJ Underloop
--------------------------
"Turn that shit up!!!!!"

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.97 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page