Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/10/14 :  22:43:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage  Reply with quote
Wow, now that is what I call a big bunch of information.
I still will call everything Happy Hardcore, but this summary is very interesting.
Thanks a lot, Smoogie!

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
The Doc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,718 posts
The Doc has attended 1 event
Posted - 2011/10/14 :  23:40:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Doc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:
Wow, now that is what I call a big bunch of information.
I still will call everything Happy Hardcore, but this summary is very interesting.
Thanks a lot, Smoogie!

as Smoogie was about 7 when the name "happy hardcore" was made, I think we can safely say he knows f**k all! As I was raving my arse off in them days, I can safely say the term Happy Hardcore was given to the simple, and some might say childish music being released in 94/95 like steamtrain, toytown, discoland ect which every DJ and producer would make one or two tracks, while carrying on making normal banging hardcore, basically it took off with the ravers as an antidote to the normal tracks at a rave, believe me in the early days hardcore was still hardcore!

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/10/15 :  08:16:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage  Reply with quote
I dont think Smoogie's actually far off...

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2011/10/15 :  09:47:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage  Reply with quote
Eventhough UK Hardcore contains commercial elements, it lost a plenty of popularity. I have shown it to people and many loved it, but they have like 0% Hardcore sources. Its impossible for them to discover a track without my assistance. I mean, people search for "techno" which doesnt bring Hardcore at the top of the list.

Everybody are into House, Trance like more "stable" and "defined" electronic genres. UKHC is "stable" and "defined", eventhough not as much, but I guess its just too fast, and it evolved too slowly. After all, young people are into Dance music, rarely old folks, so it's impossible for them to know about Happy Hardcore, Hardcore in general, or any other old stuff.
But there r still those "crazy" guys (in a good way) who are into Dubstep. Its rlly a wicked genre. Maybe UKHC will become popular one day too.

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2011/10/15 09:50:09
rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2015/10/12 :  11:45:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
There was a bit a rivalry between the two scenes. The amount of unlicensed bootlegs that were done from dutch Hardcore tracks in the UK and vice versa was plenty.
Seems to be alot of the old Dutch happy hardcore artists have moved on to hardstyle now days though. The Prophet and Dj Isaac to name a few.

Maybe I am being biased being English but I think the UK had a lot more good happy hardcore producers than the Netherlands. We were far more creative and melodic and our music was always more dj friendly too.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2016/01/03 03:19:54
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2015/10/12 :  12:17:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
The unlicensed bootlegs the dutch might have are probably outshined by the likes of Kaos and Vinylgroover :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/10/12 :  12:55:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage  Reply with quote
hardcore is hardcore to the world
uk hardcore is called uk hardcore in the uk, and happy hardcore the rest of the world where hardcore is hardcore

everyone got used to bass, and mainstream gabba became hardcore and took over, so the names changes, with the helping hand of drum & bass and dubstep etc all dying and becoming gay scenes

Edited by - Guest on 2015/10/12 13:04:19
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2015/10/12 :  22:12:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage  Reply with quote
I was going to reply but then realised I already did in 2011...

But as I said the first time around, it's routes are varied but I would say early 90s

In fact having listened through some 1992 Old Skool, you can here some styles that were used much later than that with people like Seduction being more on the happy side compared to the earlier 'Jungleists'

The term UK Hardcore is misleading as any style from the UK is in theory 'UK Hardcore' but I think that might have been a term that Americans and Australians used to distinguish against the Dutch Hardcore or German Hardcore ect.

Most Aus Hardcore I heard always sounds similar to the UK Hardcore so in a way, it is also UK Hardcore but from Aus, and who is not to say that a large number of Aussies are not descendants from Brits anyway?

Freeform itself is UK Hardcore if it is made in the UK, as would any UK made Gabber.

Some people used to call it Upfront Hardcore a lot, some called it mainstream and a few of us here used to even call it 'softcore'

DJ SMALOUM

France
423 posts
DJ SMALOUM has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/10/13 :  01:52:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ SMALOUM's homepage  Reply with quote

Edited by - DJ SMALOUM on 2015/10/13 02:06:44
warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2015/10/13 :  02:33:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
Put on Bonkers 1...

Put on Bonkers 9...

Put on Bonkers 17...

Put on Clubland Hardcore 8...

Put on Hardcore Underground 7...

Each one will showcase a sound of the era, and you can distinctively see how far the genre has come, and how different the 90s Happy Hardcore sounds compared to 2000s-present. Is it still Happy Hardcore? Gammer says so.

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/10/13 :  06:25:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
Yeah but gammer is wrong

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/10/13 :  12:13:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage  Reply with quote
yeah, this is as happy as hardcore gets

those are clubland dresscode nights, or just interludes for the pimped cars no dress code nights

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/10/13 :  19:05:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage  Reply with quote

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
danielseven has attended 4 events
Posted - 2015/10/13 :  22:26:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
Yeah but gammer is wrong

So, does actual House music have to sound like it's 90s for be still called "House" music, or it needs a new term?

Even Happy Hardcore has it's own evolution, you know.

Anyway, for me it's right to call this music Happy Hardcore. If a production like Toytown, or Diss Reaction has got a different sound than, let's say, "Free From Form" or even "Look Back", they still have got something in common: the euphoric and "rave" vibes.

And then, "UK Hardcore" doesn't really sound global. And this scene needs to be recognized as global.

Edited by - danielseven on 2015/10/13 22:39:20
DJ SMALOUM

France
423 posts
DJ SMALOUM has attended 1 event
Posted - 2015/10/14 :  00:33:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ SMALOUM's homepage  Reply with quote

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.61 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page