Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 When does it stop being hardcore?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Backmasker

United Kingdom
71 posts
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  18:37:38  Show profile Send a private message
I've noticed recently that some people are being criticized for releasing Hardcore music that is not "Hardcore".

I'm wondering when you as listeners, players, producers and purchasers of Hardcore music think a tune stops becoming hardcore. Is there a particular tempo that is too slow or to fast ? Is there a sound or instrument that should never be used? Can you think of any examples of when a producer has taken the influences from another scene and pushed it so far that their music is not what they think it is?

Be nice, this could be a good debate.

Alert moderator

Edited by - Backmasker on 2012/07/04 19:08:17
Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  18:58:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Personally, to me it's about the bass (which also seems to relate to the kick). When it becomes like the vast majority of the tunes on CXH8, I don't consider much of it hardcore anymore even though I might still like the tunes (don't care what the genre of the song I'm listening to is, if I like it I like it). In other words, softer kick and a longer, less sharp bass.

I think in short words, when it loses the distinct, stabby "kick - bass - kick - bass"-rhythm, then it doesn't sound like hardcore anymore.

My SOUNDCLOUD

Alert moderator Go to top of page
jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,683 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  19:39:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage
I think at this point the defining feature of hardcore is pretty much just the BPM.

Kebab Head
Advanced Member

Wallis And Futuna Islands
645 posts
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  20:31:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kebab Head's homepage
Hardcore doesn't even have a definitive definition to start with... Never mind where does it stop..

Breakbeat Jon
Average Member

United Kingdom
223 posts
Breakbeat Jon has attended 4 events
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  20:51:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Breakbeat Jon's homepage
Hardcore has always been about taking bits of other dance music and chucking them together at a faster speed. From the early 90s taking hip hop, house, techno and reggae, throwing together sped up, to the early naughties, with it's trance and hard dance influences, to the electro, dub step influences currently being produced.
You've also got the hardcore breaks stuff that produced at 140-150bpm, but in keeping with the 91-93 sound. I still consider that hardcore.
At the risk of sounding cliched, if the musics good, it doesn't matter what it's called.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  21:15:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I guess it all stems from BPM - if its around 170BPM I would say its hardcore...after that its down to how the beats are broken down (if its a 4beat track...or a breakbeat driven track..dependent on kicks used and drum patterns)...but I would say BPM is probably the starting point.

Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2012/07/04 :  21:17:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage
I dunno, I consider the the intro track to Luna-C's Supaset 12 (disc 2 of the free Breaking Free album (Twin Time - The Beat Shook) to be hardcore, though definitely trying to sound like a tune released in the 90's, but from the people I've talked to I seem to be alone in this opinion. Genre's are very subjective as is the music. The whole DNA dnb/bbhc set fiasco at Slammin Vinyl is a perfect example of this.. looking back at that old thread, nobody could agree on which tracks were dnb and which were bbhc. I can't remember which track it was (I'd like to say either Chime or Can You Hear The Silence), but I remember CDJay saying that one of their bbhc (or at least very distinctively bbhc to any hardcore fan) tracks was topping the dnb section at either Beatport or Trackitdown for a little while.

CXH8, though very different from the upfront hardcore everyone is used to, is still very much hardcore. Remember Hixxy and co's trance stage in the late 90's? I don't, I was too young, but the point still stands. The music is constantly changing everyday and there is always going to be a producer, or group of producers that are pushing a different sound. Once again, I wasn't into hardcore when freeform was first starting, but I can imagine it got a lot of flack at the start for being too trancy, or lots of "**** that floaty acid shit".

Now, I'm not fully comparing freeform to electrocore because **** electrocore, but still.. genres change, sub genres are born and die every day. There's plenty of great, non electrocore, upfront, riff crazy hardcore out there. I just bought We'll Be Coming Back by Dowster & Vagadond (which sounds suspiciously like a "we're leaving the scene" record.. maybe I'm just being paranoid) and D-Linquants' remix of All Of The Lights (which I'll admit does have a bit of electrocore in it, though has a very bouncy, 2008-2012esque riff), and both sound just like the hardcore I've known and loved. WBCB especially so, since it sounds like it was plucked right out of Vagabond's vault from 2005-2007. I know I went slightly off topic, but meh.

tl;dr - there's LOADS of shit you may consider hardcore that someone else would laugh at you for, and vice versa, so take that into consideration before you flame an artist for producing elctrohousef@ggotdubcore.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  00:27:00  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
It's Hardcore til you die

:)

Kebab Head
Advanced Member

Wallis And Futuna Islands
645 posts
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  05:47:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kebab Head's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
It's Hardcore til you die

:)

No no

It's

Hardcore Til I Die

I'd of thought 10 years later you'd of known that?

eddiewould

New Zealand
375 posts
eddiewould has attended 3 events
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  05:56:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit eddiewould's homepage
For me, hardcore means ravey (fun) and makes me want to dance like a lunatic without caring what anyone else thinks.

As soon as it starts sounding too polished or trying to be cool (or jump on the latest bandwagon) it ceases to be hardcore and starts to become pop music.

Drum & Bass isn't hardcore because even though it's a similar speed and has many similar musical elements, the listeners (typically) care too much about looking cool/image. So it lacks the craziness that makes it hardcore.

Trance isn't hardcore for pretty much the same reason.

Eurodance is pretty much the closest thing to hardcore that isn't hardcore in my eyes. But it's again too obsessed with image (hello? - it has music videos).

Breakbeat Jon
Average Member

United Kingdom
223 posts
Breakbeat Jon has attended 4 events
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  07:33:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Breakbeat Jon's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by eddiewould:

Drum & Bass isn't hardcore because even though it's a similar speed and has many similar musical elements, the listeners (typically) care too much about looking cool/image. So it lacks the craziness that makes it hardcore.

I thinks thats a massive misconception often trotted out by hardcore fans thats way off the mark, in the same way D'n'B heads wrongly assume that hardcore kids are mostly e'd up retards in cyber gear.
D'n'B has far more in common with the original style of hardcore than hardcore has. Lets not forgot many of the djs and producers who laid the foundations of the hardcore scene progressed it into Jungle / D'n'B. As someone who grew up in the early 90s it was all the same to me, as result I love both genres and think it's a shame they are so far apart these days and hardly anyone mixes it up Easygroove style like it used to be. Obviously there are exceptions out there, Luna C, and Kutski for example.
It shouldn't matter if a track is bbhc or D'n'B. More often than not that tag is defined by the producers background. Hamilton releases D'n'B on Ram, if he released the same tune under Ham on Next Gen it would be defined as bbhc. End of the day, it would still be awesome.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  08:06:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I'm not sure if I'd get into hardcore if I actually started to listen to it back in 1990...
well I'd be 6-8 years old when the old Hardcore style came about, and I first started
buying music in 1995, and that was mostly Europe and Will Smith :P.
So far I haven't really heard any Harcore/Jungle/Oldskool track I like.

I've started to like the new "Breakbeat" Hardcore alittle, mostly because they pertain
the BPM Hardcore has had since 1995. So yea, to me Hardcore is about fast music
and heavy melody, preferbly accompanied by a heavy gabber kick :)

I don't know about the people, heck, I've only been to 1 rave, and that still feels
ackward to me :P But about the music, I do feel it's about letting go and having
a blast.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2012/07/05 08:08:30
scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  11:35:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage
it has :
it stopped when they started adding electro an dubstep in

danielseven

Italy
350 posts
danielseven has attended 4 events
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  16:21:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danielseven's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jenks:
I think at this point the defining feature of hardcore is pretty much just the BPM.

So even the Eurobeat stuff that's over 170 BPM can be called hardcore? I don't think so.

Beeferchiefer

United Kingdom
133 posts
Beeferchiefer has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  16:40:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Beeferchiefer's homepage
For me it stops being hardcore either when it loses that slightly tongue in cheek and humorous side that I associate with all the best (and even the most serious) hardcore. Other than that anything goes. A dubstep-like tune can still be hardcore IMO. However, dubstep is not a style that lends itself to particularly fun music and for me this explains why much of the 'dubcore' of the last year has been ill-received and fails to please people. Breakbeat hardcore, even that which sounds close to dnb, is almost always good fun. I find this a good measure of whether hardcore is good at all. It has always been a genre that takes great influence from others, but its the originality and tenacity with which these elements are put together that makes it fun music to listen to dance to.

Ionosphere
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,750 posts
Ionosphere is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2012/07/05 :  18:13:47  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Ionosphere's homepage
^

This- http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ionosphere

THIS - http://soundcloud.com/ionosphere

VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYWkHCkaho

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.22 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page