Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 I quit
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  17:32:48  Show profile Send a private message
Im gonna give up chasingvthe dream as it were because i recently learnt that to make it you have to dj to produce to fill up your mix. Althogh i dj i havent had a gig in years and dont think i will get backinto it so it probs not worth even trying to continue. My only regret is that it took me ten years to find it out.

Alert moderator
Josephson_Junction
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  17:37:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Josephson_Junction's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
you have to dj to produce to fill up your mix

Could you clarify what you mean here?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  17:41:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
All famous producers dj first. They produce their own tracks for their mixes so they dont play a track someone else has on the same night.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  17:52:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
When's the last time you went to a rave? In the main rooms you hear the same 10 tunes all night.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  17:58:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
They probs do play other artists tracks to promote theirs but they also produce there own set starters and enders and fillers too so their sets arnt getting too repetetive

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  18:42:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
you think the famous producers all DJed before they got where they are?

The only way I can see the connection is that DJ usually knows how to read the flow of the dancefloor/mix. But even when they implent that into production, it still can become ape-shit.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2012/12/19 18:43:23
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  18:47:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
It's the other way around anyway. You need to produce these days first if anything. Not that this makes any sense:
quote:
i recently learnt that to make it you have to dj to produce to fill up your mix

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/12/19 18:47:59
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  18:55:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
all depends on what you define as "make it" i guess

if you're making music solely to get to the top of some imaginary ladder then I'd say thats the wrong reasons to make music.

you should make music because you like it and as an artistic expression of yourself
if that gets you 'somewhere' then thats just an added bonus.

Edited by - Triquatra on 2012/12/19 18:56:37
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  19:10:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I never started producing for the fame and fortune. It was an accident really. Went on a dj course with the dwp in the uk and it went from there found an ejay disk somewhere and ended up buying cubase etc. producing music is the only thing that makes sense and is the only thing i truly love. But im slow at getting things but im a fast learner. Everything is there in my head i just cant get it out when i need to. I can tell others hiw to improve a song but never my own. I just been diagnosed with a genetic disorder which accounts for why this is but that isnt y i dont think i should carry on. Everytime i try to keave as it were i always come back i cant help it it like a drug lol. But it deffo not for fame. Just doesnt seem to be heading anywhere and i dont know how to get it anywhere

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  19:19:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
if you're making music solely to get to the top of some imaginary ladder then I'd say thats the wrong reasons to make music.

you should make music because you like it and as an artistic expression of yourself

So much agreement here right now.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  19:21:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
I never started producing for the fame and fortune. It was an accident really. Went on a dj course with the dwp in the uk and it went from there found an ejay disk somewhere and ended up buying cubase etc. producing music is the only thing that makes sense and is the only thing i truly love. But im slow at getting things but im a fast learner. Everything is there in my head i just cant get it out when i need to. I can tell others hiw to improve a song but never my own. I just been diagnosed with a genetic disorder which accounts for why this is but that isnt y i dont think i should carry on. Everytime i try to keave as it were i always come back i cant help it it like a drug lol. But it deffo not for fame. Just doesnt seem to be heading anywhere and i dont know how to get it anywhere

If you're not doing it for 'fame' (no one in Hardcore is famous) then it shouldn't matter where you're heading right? Because that's not why you're doing it.

Josephson_Junction
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  19:47:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Josephson_Junction's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
If you're not doing it for 'fame' (no one in Hardcore is famous) then it shouldn't matter where you're heading right? Because that's not why you're doing it.

I think it's always good to have a general idea of where you want to go so that you can focus on the path there. It helps you understand just exactly what you're doing with something, why you're doing it, and what your priorities surrounding it are. Drifting in space, so-to-speak, can drive you mad (although it doesn't do that to everyone of course). I used to be in that kind of situation with music production, as well with life in general, and it was what drove me into depression for a while.

Electrogen, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you aren't entirely sure where you want to go. My main suggestions are to think about what I said in the previous paragraph, and that if you love music production, don't stop. Research ways to improve your workflow and always reach out when you need to. If you aren't enjoying DJing, you could consider putting up the decks for the time being so that you can come back to them later if you want.

Sorry if this comes across like some sort of nonsensical koan, I'm not the best with words...

Edited by - Josephson_Junction on 2012/12/19 19:51:00
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  20:12:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Josephson_Junction:
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:

I think it's always good to have a general idea of where you want to go so that you can focus on the path there. It helps you understand just exactly what you're doing with something, why you're doing it, and what your priorities surrounding it are. Drifting in space, so-to-speak, can drive you mad (although it doesn't do that to everyone of course). I used to be in that kind of situation with music production, as well with life in general, and it was what drove me into depression for a while.

Electrogen, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you aren't entirely sure where you want to go. My main suggestions are to think about what I said in the previous paragraph, and that if you love music production, don't stop. Research ways to improve your workflow and always reach out when you need to. If you aren't enjoying DJing, you could consider putting up the decks for the time being so that you can come back to them later if you want.

Sorry if this comes across like some sort of nonsensical koan, I'm not the best with words...

Well i meant in terms of being known as a producer. But i guess you have a point either way.

Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  23:25:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
quote:

some people feel as if music is a competition which is one of the reasons why there's so much hate between the up & comers

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/12/19 :  23:41:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Theres loads of secrecy too

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/12/20 :  00:32:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo.Tweakn:
quote:

some people feel as if music is a competition which is one of the reasons why there's so much hate between the up & comers

I don't think there is any hate. Hate is a strong word.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.42 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page